New 42" 1080p Sharp Aquos Due End Feb 07

So it's okay for Gepm to hurl **** at me good Dr?

Is it also okay for Gepm to clone a Sharp marketing exec?

I would hate to clone ANY marketing exec. Theres too many already.

Let them settle down and don't take it so seriously. It's only TV - or is it?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's okay for Gepm to hurl **** at me good Dr?

Is it also okay for Gepm to clone a Sharp marketing exec?

With regard to comments you make about other forum members, I'll leave them to reply.

As for hurling ****, what's your motivation for doing it ?

I would hate to clone ANY marketing exec. Theres too many already.

Let them settle down and don't take it so seriously. It's only TV - or is it?

I don't know anyone who thinks buying dodgy products is all fun and games, but then again, you come across as rather immature.

Don't forget, you're the one who calls Samsung a lesser LCD, yet the Sharp also has problems, IOW, you're not a reliable source of information.

Panel as in 1366x768x3, which equates to 1289x720 active picture.

You still didn't say if you worked for Samsung????????????

Of all the Professional people that i know who use the 46" Aquos, I have not heard of banding problems. It may be an issue with smaller panels that (a) Not mad in Japan (:blink: Not full 1080. If there are some out there I'm sorry I(we) have not heard about it since the arrival of the Aquos 1080 panels.

As a side issue you may need to seek anger management, I'm not angry at you, just pointing out your technical evaluation of Sharp v Samsung LCD. I find getting a cat or dog helps.

This is not to defend for panasung, but just to add my views.

Above statement you made is not very accurate...as far as manufacturing is concerned. Whether they are made in Japan or China, if they all bear manufacturers badge it is ultimately manufacturer's responsibility for their quality assurance regardless of where they are made from.

Have you been to both Sharp and Samsung LCD plant to make a cat and dog comparison?

You are asking Panasung to be specific on which company is he working for yet you don't exactly tell us whom are you working for. Working in "the professional tv industry" is too broad...isn't it? ABC, SBS, Ch7, Ch9 or Ch 10 or some small community small tv station? So who do you work for???

As you know this is strictly HD tv forum section not mobile phones. Because you brought it up on anther post so let me add my comments on Nokia. I used to use an old Nokia 8210 had scramming lcd problems (well known) and had to replace 5 times within warranty period which I had no mobile phone with me for over 7 weeks no replacement during those times. They should have recalled the product but they refuse to do so. With my experience, I won't buy Nokia agan!!! My brother is using samsung and he couldn't be happier.

cheers

david

I also have a E100 Samsung mobile{OLED screen}....still in perfect working order nearly 3 yrs later.

Btw, why hasn't anyone asked whether I work for Panasonic, I mean you have figured out that's what the "Pana" stands for right, and you may have seen me repeatedly say that the best TV is the Panasonic Plasma.

I don't know anyone who thinks buying dodgy products is all fun and games, but then again, you come across as rather immature.

Don't forget, you're the one who calls Samsung a lesser LCD, yet the Sharp also has problems, IOW, you're not a reliable source of information.

No its not. But its not a live or die issue. I'm flattered to be called immature.

Lets leave it at this, I would not want to recomend to my worst enemy a Samsung LCD (46" or larger), over a Sharp LCD of the same size, but if you are happy with your Samsung - good luck.

For qulality LCD panels larger than 46' Sharp seem to be the best. As I said another main TV network just brought a whole swag of Sharp LCDs. Where I am, we are buying 1 or 2 to see if they can last as long as CRTs. Another audio mixdown studio I know of uses a 46" Sharp because it was the only one at the time he could use for lip sync work, all flat panels have some latency compared to CRTs. Some audio mixdown producers use delay in the audio to make the monitoring system work with flat screens.

I also have a E100 Samsung mobile{OLED screen}....still in perfect working order nearly 3 yrs later.

Btw, why hasn't anyone asked whether I work for Panasonic, I mean you have figured out that's what the "Pana" stands for right, and you may have seen me repeatedly say that the best TV is the Panasonic Plasma.

You have said you don't work for Panasonic, but if you do we do have some SD Panasonic LCDs (26").

After all this I think the worst I said is "Why would anyone recomend a Samsung over a Sharp LCD?"

I don't think thats a really nasty attack on you, but if you think it is sorry for that comment, but it is a free world.

Please bring back high qulaity CRTs, but alas that is not going to happen as even Sony have dropped their highest quality HD prosfessional monitor - around $36K. We all have to move to LCDs.

Panansonic LCDs, what can I say. They only exist for their relatives cheapness, nothing else. They smear and smudge like a stain on a windscreen, horrible.

Like gepm, give me a quality glass CRT any day.

Lets leave it at this, I would not want to recomend to my worst enemy a Samsung LCD (46" or larger), over a Sharp LCD of the same size, but if you are happy with your Samsung - good luck.

Anyone who knows anything about HDTV, mobile phones and PC monitors knows that Samsung are a major player....as to whether any specific Samsung product has a problem is a matter for internet research.

I have a 8 yr old 68cm Sharp CRT which has never missed a beat, so I'd be delighted if the 07 range of Sharp LCD's hit the spot, but "some" of the older stock had issues, as such, it's ludicrous denigrating Samsung when their panel may have been a viable purchase.

Panansonic LCDs, what can I say. They only exist for their relatives cheapness, nothing else. They smear and smudge like a satin on a windscreen, horrible.

Like gepm, give me a quality glass CRT any day.

I think that's unlikely these days.....I've seen the Panasonic 32in in store and it was quite good+ the feedback from this very forum is very positive.....however, I would never buy a larger LCD for SDTV/Foxtel/DVD....I would buy either a SD plasma{$1400 for brand new NEC}, or a HD panaplasma{$1700}.

After all this I think the worst I said is "Why would anyone recomend a Samsung over a Sharp LCD?"

I don't think thats a really nasty attack on you, but if you think it is sorry for that comment, but it is a free world.

Actually, I'd prefer the truth if you don't mind.....also, I'll point out that it's pretty gutless to talk tough from behind your keyboard, .......I'm fairly certain you'd never try your tough/clever guy routine face to face :blink:

Hopefully people who peruse this forum realise certain people have a set agenda to promote Panasonic or Samsung and debunk everything else.

Actually, I'd prefer the truth if you don't mind.....also, I'll point out that it's pretty gutless to talk tough from behind your keyboard, .......I'm fairly certain you'd never try your tough/clever guy routine face to face :blink:

Those who know me say - you betcha he would. But I still think you are taking this a we bit too seriously.

I take my work very seriously, but not some of the comments people throw at each other on this forum.

I think I did say I did not mean to offend you – just your technical recommendations. Separate them if you can. You are most likely a nice person and if you really want to – do a PM to me. I will reply.

So anyways........ back to the forum topic........

has anyone seen the new 46 or 52 inch Sharp LCD's in shops yet?? what prices?

cheers

Check the new Bing Lee catalogue, they have all the new Sharp panels.

PD7X models

52" $9299

46" $6799

42" 5199

GD7X models

52" $8799

46" $6299

42" $4799

Less haggling of course :blink:

I think I did say I did not mean to offend you – just your technical recommendations. Separate them if you can. You are most likely a nice person and if you really want to – do a PM to me. I will reply.

I accept your apology.

One of the problems of the net is that people's comments can often seem hostile, when no hostility was intended....I suspect that was the case both ways between us....however, I still have my opinions and you have yours, but being that you're in amongst it all{your work}, I'm sure most people are glad to have you contribute.

...Btw, why hasn't anyone asked whether I work for Panasonic, I mean you have figured out that's what the "Pana" stands for right, and you may have seen me repeatedly say that the best TV is the Panasonic Plasma.

If anyone doubts PanaSung credentials when stating any facts or knowledge on any topic on the DVT forum, I'd do a search on some of his previous threads. It will quickly show you, as it did me, you'd be best getting accurate and factual opinions from other posters.

debunk

discredit

If anyone doubts PanaSung credentials when stating any facts or knowledge on any topic on the DVT forum, I'd do a search on some of his previous threads. It will quickly show you, as it did me, you'd be best getting accurate and factual opinions from other posters.

Well said.

One of the problems of the net is that people's comments can often seem hostile, when no hostility was intended....I suspect that was the case both ways between us....

ROFL

Your hostility towards others is too blatent to take your above comment seriously.

ROFL

Your hostility towards others is too blatent to take your above comment seriously.

Any fair dinkum person could do a search and recognize that I've never started any flames with anyone, but I always retaliate against those who hurl uncalled for ad homs.

Sorry for not being a pansy :blink:

Any fair dinkum person could do a search and recognize that I've never started any flames with anyone, but I always retaliate against those who hurl uncalled for ad homs.

Sorry for not being a pansy :blink:

Pansy or not, you do a mighty fine job of adding fuel to the fire.

Special mention to Sharp....their new LCD's had the best PQ, they had a massive increase in contrast, ie, much darker and clearer picture.

Also they appeared to have a Bray player hooked up to a Sharp 32in LCD.....the PQ was as good as I've seen on an LCD, but it must have been 720p.

From my excursion to WOW Underwood{great HDTV showroom}.

Special mention to Sharp....their new LCD's had the best PQ, they had a massive increase in contrast, ie, much darker and clearer picture.

Also they appeared to have a Bray player hooked up to a Sharp 32in LCD.....the PQ was as good as I've seen on an LCD, but it must have been 720p.

From my excursion to WOW Underwood{great HDTV showroom}.

Did you notice any banding, it's the only thing I'm really worried about with the Sharps, not deal breaking, but wouldn't be as happy if it wasn't absolutally perfect :blink:.

I'll be checking the 42" tomorrow, and will be asking about the possibillity of bringing in and hooking up my lappy over DVI on friday for a look at 1080p at it's best :D

Did you notice any banding, it's the only thing I'm really worried about with the Sharps, not deal breaking, but wouldn't be as happy if it wasn't absolutally perfect :blink:.

I'll be checking the 42" tomorrow, and will be asking about the possibillity of bringing in and hooking up my lappy over DVI on friday for a look at 1080p at it's best :D

I never notice flicker, banding or anything other than stuff that's obvious like excess colour/lack of contrast and all that.....that said, WOW Underwood have the new 42in Sharp 1080 LCD hooked up to a Bray, and the PQ is a winner.....no problems in the dark scenes at all.....gotta be one of the best LCD's now{price was $4600 though.....should break 3k in 12-14months}.

Aesthetics are decent as well.

I just got back from HN and they don't have the 42" PD7X like they said they would :blink:, they had the 42GD7X tho, but it's just too ugly to luv and it's the same rip-off price of $4999 :D.

I really thaught I'd have an HDTV for my PS3 for a while there :P.

I never notice flicker, banding or anything other than stuff that's obvious like excess colour/lack of contrast and all that.....that said, WOW Underwood have the new 42in Sharp 1080 LCD hooked up to a Bray, and the PQ is a winner.....no problems in the dark scenes at all.....gotta be one of the best LCD's now{price was $4600 though.....should break 3k in 12-14months}.

Aesthetics are decent as well.

Don't get too excited about the P7DX - my 56" P7DX arrived Saturday and was sent back on Tuesday.

Problems encountered were -

Terrible PQ which no amount of tweaking and adjusting could cure

20+ seconds to change a channel

Typical sequence in channel change - dark screen, old channel flashes for a micro-second, more dark screen, new channel flashes for a micro-second ( blinding viewers ), dark screen again and then new channel - sometimes with a horizontal pixellation bar right through the middle of the screen

After spending hours adjsuting the picture, the next day eveyone's face on the screen was green

Was exchanged for a X Bravia - I now have backlight bleeding and an annoying buzz when changing channels !

On the other hand, the white 32" Samsung we bought the week before cannot be faulted, Oozes quality and clever design, has a perfectly black screen and PQ good enough to convert a visiting diehard CRT fan in a second.

Don't get too excited about the P7DX - my 56" P7DX arrived Saturday and was sent back on Tuesday.

Problems encountered were -

Terrible PQ which no amount of tweaking and adjusting could cure

20+ seconds to change a channel

Typical sequence in channel change - dark screen, old channel flashes for a micro-second, more dark screen, new channel flashes for a micro-second ( blinding viewers ), dark screen again and then new channel - sometimes with a horizontal pixellation bar right through the middle of the screen

After spending hours adjsuting the picture, the next day eveyone's face on the screen was green

Was exchanged for a X Bravia - I now have backlight bleeding and an annoying buzz when changing channels !

On the other hand, the white 32" Samsung we bought the week before cannot be faulted, Oozes quality and clever design, has a perfectly black screen and PQ good enough to convert a visiting diehard CRT fan in a second.

Not 56" but 46"

Did you see it in a dark environment?

I’ll bet not.

No, but of no consequence as people buy lower spec POS and are generally happy with them.

This was the best LCD PQ I've ever seen.....it's contrast advantage over the other LCD's is very obvious to me, including the 32 in model.

Personally, I won't spend more than $1500 on a big TV, and that would include built in HD tuner and favourable reviews.

Well if yours wasn't a lemon, then unfortuantely we'll have to give the range the ass.

So anyways........ back to the forum topic........

has anyone seen the new 46 or 52 inch Sharp LCD's in shops yet?? what prices?

cheers

Yes, Domayne on the Gold Coast have the 52" Sharp with RRP at $8999. It is next to 52" Bravia with RRP at $9999. I have looked at them both a couple of times. The blacks on the Sharp look deeper than the Sony but the skin tones on the Sony look way more natural than the Sharp. It looks to me like the contract and brightness on the Sharp may be jacked up way too high. Was going to talk to a staffer about it but they all seem to spend their lives continually moving the displays around. May be next week when I have more time.

Hope this is useful.

PC connection problems over DVI :D, if that's true with the 42" PD7Xs then I'm going to have to start looking for a new TV :blink:

As per my previous post - I connected a laptop at 1920x1080 over DVI, perfect and 1:1 full pixel mapping, no overscan.

i still think most of the retailers shoot themselves in the foot by having these TV's set up in either Torch mode or a feed split between 15 TV's

Im dying to hear people opinions of a good LCD hooked up to a Blu Ray player or hd-DVD player (compared to a direct view CRT)

As per my previous post - I connected a laptop at 1920x1080 over DVI, perfect and 1:1 full pixel mapping, no overscan.

O yer, forgot that. Reviewers == n00b?

There may be hope yet :blink:, will just have to hook it up to my lappy to confirm as when I sent an email to sharp this was the response I got (the questions I asked are pretty obvious from the anwers):

It is HDMI 1.2a

PC resolution is 1400 x 1050

Manual available via website. Look under LC46GD7X, mostly same specs. 42PD7X will be added soon.

Dead Pixel policy is on a case by case basis.

However when I went to copy that I just recieved a new email:

After further investigation, we have found that the TV will accept a 1920 x 1200 signal sent via DVI from a laptop and display it at 1080p. 1400 x 1050 is the maximum resolution specified in the manual.

So I'm assuming you are correct and it will also accept 1080p over DVI. BTW were you using DVI-D or analogue DVI? I'm hoping DVI-D as I only want digital connections from now on, nothing like 100% quality reproduction :D.

O yer, forgot that. Reviewers == n00b?

There may be hope yet :blink:, will just have to hook it up to my lappy to confirm as when I sent an email to sharp this was the response I got (the questions I asked are pretty obvious from the anwers):

However when I went to copy that I just recieved a new email:

So I'm assuming you are correct and it will also accept 1080p over DVI. BTW were you using DVI-D or analogue DVI? I'm hoping DVI-D as I only want digital connections from now on, nothing like 100% quality reproduction :D.

Good grief - they're just hopeless aren't they?! You'd think they'd know what res their own products are. Definitely a full 1:1 1920 pixels across I can assure you. Sorry - have no idea ana vs digi on the DVI - didn't know there was such a thing as analogue DVI... or is that like VGA->DVI conversion? If so - it was digital, I just used the DVI out on the lappy to DVI in on the TV.