New 42" 1080p Sharp Aquos Due End Feb 07

I was in JB in Geelong over the weekend and they had the 42PD7X :D.

I took in my lappy to try it out over DVI-D and DVI->HDMI.

DVI->HDMI looked pretty good and was able to do 1:1 no problem, however I did notice what seemed to be some kind of ghosting on the high contrast areas.

DVI-D was excellent, not probs setting it up and also had a perfect 1:1 with no overscan or black bars and no ghosting :P

I was able to get them down to about $4260 but that's still just a little too high for me :blink:. Contrast wasn't as great as I was expecting but I didn't look too hard at the settings so I probably missed a few things here and there to make it better. It also seemed like settings weren't per input which could be bad as I'd like different settings for TV as I would have for playing games but I'm using the same settings on my CRT at the moment so I can live with it.

I'll probably go in again next weekend to check the sound and what SD looks like and see how the tuner holds up as I forgot abou them.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just purchased the Sharp LC-42GD7X for $3320 after weekend of haggling.

Was quoted $3474 for the Piano Black model.

This is my first LCD purchase, hopefully I will be happy with my choice.

What do you think of this price?

I was in JB in Geelong over the weekend and they had the 42PD7X :D.

I took in my lappy to try it out over DVI-D and DVI->HDMI.

DVI->HDMI looked pretty good and was able to do 1:1 no problem, however I did notice what seemed to be some kind of ghosting on the high contrast areas.

DVI-D was excellent, not probs setting it up and also had a perfect 1:1 with no overscan or black bars and no ghosting :P

I was able to get them down to about $4260 but that's still just a little too high for me :blink:. Contrast wasn't as great as I was expecting but I didn't look too hard at the settings so I probably missed a few things here and there to make it better. It also seemed like settings weren't per input which could be bad as I'd like different settings for TV as I would have for playing games but I'm using the same settings on my CRT at the moment so I can live with it.

I'll probably go in again next weekend to check the sound and what SD looks like and see how the tuner holds up as I forgot abou them.

Edited by cazza21

:D

:P

$3320?

OMG where did you get that quote of $3474 for the Piano Black model? Those are pretty awesome prices as far as I've seen :blink:

Sounds liek I did OK with the price.

Cummings Retravision Ballina NSW

Salesperson was Brad Heard Ph 02 6686 2566

Mention my name Carolyn Phelps

He did mention after we had agreed on the price that Sharp is pushing them to acheive a Sales Target.

The unit is being delivered today.

Does anyone have any special tips on setup. I am a total newbie to this LCD experience.

:D

$3320?

OMG where did you get that quote of $3474 for the Piano Black model? Those are pretty awesome prices as far as I've seen :blink:

Sounds liek I did OK with the price.

Cummings Retravision Ballina NSW

Salesperson was Brad Heard Ph 02 6686 2566

Mention my name Carolyn Phelps

He did mention after we had agreed on the price that Sharp is pushing them to acheive a Sales Target.

The unit is being delivered today.

Does anyone have any special tips on setup. I am a total newbie to this LCD experience.

Thanks, NSW is a bit far out for me but I'll have a look in at my local retravision :blink:

FYI

There was a major price drop on the RRP on Sharps 1st April 2007. I am talking up to 18% on some models.

All retailers received the email from Sharp on 31st March 2007.

You should be able to do much better then last week.

Good luck.

Remember that if Ballina is the best price, I am sure that they could courier the unit to you.

Thanks, NSW is a bit far out for me but I'll have a look in at my local retravision :blink:

FYI

There was a major price drop on the RRP on Sharps 1st April 2007. I am talking up to 18% on some models.

All retailers received the email from Sharp on 31st March 2007.

You should be able to do much better then last week.

Good luck.

Remember that if Ballina is the best price, I am sure that they could courier the unit to you.

That's the best news I've heard in ages :D, should be getting one on the weekend if that's the case :P.

Please let us know how yours goes, if you can tear yourself away from it :P. In particular I'm interested in how the SD tuner and SD over composite go as my antenna doesn't support HD/digital atm :blink: and I play alot of PS2 and Wii (tho I could use the PS3 for some PS2 games and get component for Wii if necessary.

That's the best news I've heard in ages :D, should be getting one on the weekend if that's the case :P.

Please let us know how yours goes, if you can tear yourself away from it :P. In particular I'm interested in how the SD tuner and SD over composite go as my antenna doesn't support HD/digital atm :blink: and I play alot of PS2 and Wii (tho I could use the PS3 for some PS2 games and get component for Wii if necessary.

Well i got mind from Clive peeter last Sat 46PD7X delivered on yesterday. I got it for 4700 AUD

I am pretty happy with it, no expert but the figure are much better then the bravia X .

Also 3 year warrant show Sharp has confident to its product.

Brad from retravision said the 46inch GD7X would be around $1000 dearer than the $3320 I paid for the 42inch.

Well i got mind from Clive peeter last Sat 46PD7X delivered on yesterday. I got it for 4700 AUD

I am pretty happy with it, no expert but the figure are much better then the bravia X .

Also 3 year warrant show Sharp has confident to its product.

Brad from retravision said the 46inch GD7X would be around $1000 dearer than the $3320 I paid for the 42inch.

Ouch, that might be too tempting to resist since I was limiting myself to 42" only because of the $4000 credit limit on my card. Tho it's really just a limit I've placed on myself to stop from going over board as I have more than enough in my bank to cover any current TV.

Is this a 1080 model?

If so, brilliant work :blink:

Full HD Panel 1920 x 1080

I have setup tonight.

Just running through my normal TV aerial.

HD TV channels are great. Not that I know anything technical but my eyes were pretty impressed with it.

Put on a DVD running thru HDMI, the PQ was reduced but still good. Sure as eggs better then the 68cm CRT it replaced.

Looking forward to learning about Digital TV a bit more.

Thanks for your forum. I have learnt lots by reading the forums.

It assisted me with sorting thru all the "crap" that the salepersons go on with. I think they really stand up and take notice when you can demonstrate some knowledge about TVs etc.

Is this a 1080 model?

If so, brilliant work :blink:

so 46inch only 1000 more than the 42.... so des that mean then the 52 is only 1000 more than the 46..... really want 52.... but might settle for the 46inch... hmmm decisions decisions....

or the other option is the 50inch pana plasma with built in tuner..... hmmmm

so 46inch only 1000 more than the 42.... so des that mean then the 52 is only 1000 more than the 46..... really want 52.... but might settle for the 46inch... hmmm decisions decisions....

or the other option is the 50inch pana plasma with built in tuner..... hmmmm

I think the 52 RRP is $9999.....but I doubt anyone would be selling at that price....also, it's a bad time to buy very large screen panels, because a lot of new ones are coming out this yr.

Btw, HN was selling the award winning Philips 42in LCD for $6000 8 months ago, but that panel is now $3000ish.

Put on a DVD running thru HDMI, the PQ was reduced but still good. Sure as eggs better then the 68cm CRT it replaced.

No doubt....but if you get your hands on a upscaling DVD player, it will upscale them to 1080i....and they should look better.

I think some DVD recorders also upscale......there's a dedicated DVD forum here as well, so check that out when you're ready.

I'm sure you'll have fun with it :blink:

Thanks. I set an upscaling DVD player up last night. PQ much better now.

As to my pricing, I opted for the 42 inch GD7X for $3320.

I noted yesterday on EBAY that you can pickup the Piano Black LC42PD7X for $3699 buy now $145 delivery

Also, 52PD7X for $6899 buy now $155 delivery.

I do not know how that compares to everyone else's best prices.

Personally, I wasn't prepared to pay extra for the Piano Black finish.

No doubt....but if you get your hands on a upscaling DVD player, it will upscale them to 1080i....and they should look better.

I think some DVD recorders also upscale......there's a dedicated DVD forum here as well, so check that out when you're ready.

I'm sure you'll have fun with it :blink:

My LC46PD7X will arrive in the morning. Can't wait to set it up tomorrow night. Am I missing something though? Am I supposed to have a special antenna for HD reception?

I thought PDX had an inbuilt HD tuner....if so, all you need is your antenna.

Btw...FTA may not always look crash hot.

Getting the most out of your HDTV requires a degree of knowledge.

My LC46PD7X will arrive in the morning. Can't wait to set it up tomorrow night. Am I missing something though? Am I supposed to have a special antenna for HD reception?

Not really, most antennas these days can pick up digital, but if you have a much older antenna like mine you may need to get it replaced to pick up the digital channels properly. When we were having probs with reception (using analogue SD) we called a repair guy to fix it and he happend to mention something about it in case we wanted to upgrade to digital but it could have just been a ploy to get us to spend more money :blink:.

So I've read through the thread again, but there's something I'm still having trouble with - what's the difference between the PD7X and the GD7X models? Is it just that the PD models have the piano black bezel? The specs for the 46 and 52 GD and PD models on the Sharp site are similar, but not identical, but these aren't really fundamental differences. So are these just cosmetic differences, or am I missing something?

Oh and the only reference I can find with google to the 42GD7X is in this thread, and in the brochure that was linked to on the first page of this thread (Sharp site only lists 42PD7X atm). Is this because the 42GD7X is only just becoming available - it looks like it's possible to get both 42PD and 42GD models in stores at the moment? For anyone able to clarify this - I thank you :blink:

Cheers,

jakes.

So I've read through the thread again, but there's something I'm still having trouble with - what's the difference between the PD7X and the GD7X models? Is it just that the PD models have the piano black bezel? The specs for the 46 and 52 GD and PD models on the Sharp site are similar, but not identical, but these aren't really fundamental differences. So are these just cosmetic differences, or am I missing something?

Oh and the only reference I can find with google to the 42GD7X is in this thread, and in the brochure that was linked to on the first page of this thread (Sharp site only lists 42PD7X atm). Is this because the 42GD7X is only just becoming available - it looks like it's possible to get both 42PD and 42GD models in stores at the moment? For anyone able to clarify this - I thank you :blink:

Cheers,

jakes.

According to sharp.net.au PD series has different inputs combo (more importantly added optical out) then the GD series...also according to them PD are 2007 model where else GD are 2006 model

According to sharp.net.au PD series has different inputs combo (more importantly added optical out) then the GD series...also according to them PD are 2007 model where else GD are 2006 model

Cool, thanks, was wondering whether the GD ones were older models, but the specs (apart from the inputs/outputs) seemed pretty similar. Looks like they are.

Cool, thanks, was wondering whether the GD ones were older models, but the specs (apart from the inputs/outputs) seemed pretty similar. Looks like they are.

I can tell you I have written conformation (from Sharp Aust) that the GD7 (silver facia) is assembled in Tochigi (Japan), and the PD7 (black facia) is assembled in Malaysia. Other than that they are identical. The silver ones came in around December and the black are now just arriving. Two tuners, 2xHDMI, 2xComponent, 1xDVI, PC and digital audio out.

There is a 3rd model (PN-465E) which doesn’t have any in built tuners and no HDMI, only DVI. This model is fan-less, but designed for 24/7 operation (public place information screens etc). It also has more control of screen set up, brightness, contrast, RGB gamma etc.

I have both the GD7 and tuner-less version at the moment and while both have small H-banding, each is different in the banding. In saying that with the variable controls the professional one has, the image is possible better – skin-tones being one area. It is about 20% dearer than the GD tuners versions. Both are very good value considering we are comparing them to $35,000 CRTs. On 85-90% of images, the banding is not a problem. We are asking for more info about this and wether any particular screen can be field ‘tweaked’ here in Aust.