New 42" 1080p Sharp Aquos Due End Feb 07

"$5700 bucks tell them there dreaming"

I totally concur. When the Samsung 40" 1080p model is breaking 3K street price and the sony about 900 more, I find Sharp Oz is not being realistic with their RRP.

After all, I read a lot of blurbs saying Sharp would be undercutting the other guys with the massive volume the new plant(s) give them.... Maybe we look at US prices and see what the local importer is doing

To top this off, the 42" is the average screen not made in the new factory, thus the lower PQ. The American & UK forums report its a Taiwanese made panel (CMO/AUO i guess).

One bright side is the introduction of a 37" 1080p model in the UK that IS made in the new factory and has the amazing CR that the >42 sizes offer. WHen OZ will get that one I dont know. It may be affordable.

Why would you even compare a Samsung to a Sharp?

Having seen the new 42 & 46, they are the best LCD's in full HD 1080. Sharp have always been the LCD leader.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having seen the new 42 & 46, they are the best LCD's in full HD 1080. Sharp have always been the LCD leader.

Probably because of the significant price difference....and FYI, Samsung is a world respected LCD PC and HDTV maker.

having just received the new Aquos brochure from Sharp today, I think it's quite cheeky of them to go on and on about the new factory in Kamayama in Japan in the brochure when the new range of Aquos TVs are made in Malaysia !....

Yup. Viewed on on Sunday. Great picture. Very slight banding evident when fed a mid grey screen over DVI but I don't believe you'd ever notice it in normal viewing.

DVI 1920x1080 was super crisp. No over sharpening evident - desktop text was great.

Awesome :blink:, where abouts was it? I saw the 46" at JB in Melb and if it has banding issues I didn't notice anything significant so I doubt the banding will bother me :P

It's only taken a year or so of looking but I think this'll be the first 40"-42" HDTV I've seen/heard of that is up to scratch :D.

Awesome :blink:, where abouts was it? I saw the 46" at JB in Melb and if it has banding issues I didn't notice anything significant so I doubt the banding will bother me :P

It's only taken a year or so of looking but I think this'll be the first 40"-42" HDTV I've seen/heard of that is up to scratch :D.

Hey Skiller - Bing Lee Rockdale, Sydney. Great guys in there.

Other then the piano black design, isn't this model exactly the same spec. wise as the grey metal design that just came out in Dec 2006.

Last year I read somewhere Sharp was saying they will only bring in the grey metal design and not the piano black and I guess they changed their mind.

Was in Harvey Norman at QV in Melbourne and they said that they are getting the 42" in on Saturday (tomorrow) :blink:.

Will be checking out the JB in Lonsdale street today to see when they are getting it in :D.

Edit:

Just got back from JB and they say it'll be 6 weeks :/

i saw the new 37 inch lcd planel today at carlton audio visual and i was amazed at how sharp it was.... its made me think twice now as i had my heart set on the panasonic 50inch 600A..... but now knowing the LC-46PD7X and LC-52PD7X is coming out i might wait and check them out...

are those sizes released yet?? cant see any prices on the sharp web site.... seems as though only the 37 and 42inch Full HD lcd's have been released.

Other then the piano black design, isn't this model exactly the same spec. wise as the grey metal design that just came out in Dec 2006.

Last year I read somewhere Sharp was saying they will only bring in the grey metal design and not the piano black and I guess they changed their mind.

The new ones are different, but you will have to go 46" or larger to really see a difference without a side by side compare.

The new 46" ones arrive this Wednesday (I know because we have to wait 4-5 days for customs) and they are made in Japan (or I would be very surprised if not after the sales pitch out at Sharp). Small toy LCDs may be made some where else.

Also to compare a Samsung as a world leader in LCD? They just buy other companies modle jigs when they can. Sharp was the 1st in LCD and always has been. But hey to the Samsung lover, go ahead and buy a lesser LCD. Some of the TV stations are even buying 20-30 Sharp LCDs to put in certain areas. Sony is not keeping up in this area. They have stopped making their Grade 1 CRT (36K) and while not using Sharp in Colour Grading, they are making inroads.

Not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere already but a Google search turned up a glossy of the Piano Black PD5X and PD7X series on the Australian Sharp web site:

http://www.sharp.net.au/catalogue/brochure...20_brochure.pdf

No mention of HDMI version.

Standby power on the larger units is 0.9 Watts; that's more like what we should be getting these days.

Spectrum

Are you kidding me? Sharp was a leader in LCD. Then when their LCD fails your stuck without a panel for 6 months because no-one knows whats going on. Only after complaints to Sharp Japan do they act on complaints.

It's funny they were stringing me along for 6 months I call Sharp Japan speak to the guy that handles Asia Pacific and magically my panel is fixed 2 days later.

Don't trust anything their employees say either.

Also to compare a Samsung as a world leader in LCD? They just buy other companies modle jigs when they can. Sharp was the 1st in LCD and always has been. But hey to the Samsung lover, go ahead and buy a lesser LCD. Some of the TV stations are even buying 20-30 Sharp LCDs to put in certain areas. Sony is not keeping up in this area. They have stopped making their Grade 1 CRT (36K) and while not using Sharp in Colour Grading, they are making inroads.

You don't strike me as being very knowledgeable, so let me put you on the right track......Samsung are a respected LCD maker, and the 05-06 model Sharp LCD's were rife with various problems, not to mention appalling customer support.

Best to keep your trap shut whilst operating from a vantage point of sheer ignorance.

You don't strike me as being very knowledgeable, so let me put you on the right track......Samsung are a respected LCD maker, and the 05-06 model Sharp LCD's were rife with various problems, not to mention appalling customer support.

Best to keep your trap shut whilst operating from a vantage point of sheer ignorance.

Hi PanaSung,

It would have got the message across to say just "Samsung are a respected LCD maker That has a massive joint venture with Sony producting LCD TVs in Korea, and the 05-06 model Sharp LCD's were rife with various problems, not to mention appalling LOcal customer support."

I would also suggest always backing up any statement with links like the factory opened in 2004:

http://www.physorg.com/news392.html

Mind you, the Sony/Samsungs also have had their share with clouding problems. Sharp banding, Sony Clouding. ho hum... no perfect beast yet.

more info on the models all out in the UK and running PAL signal on this forum.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155

The other two comments are unkind, and best not said. We dont want ppl to be scared to voice their opinions, even if we disagree. It is an open chat forum and we are all friends here trying to find out "whats the ****" :blink:

Hi PanaSung,

The other two comments are unkind, and best not said. We dont want ppl to be scared to voice their opinions, even if we disagree. It is an open chat forum and we are all friends here trying to find out "whats the ****" :blink:

But hey to the Samsung lover, go ahead and buy a lesser LCD

But our friend had no problem taking a potshot at me......something he would never, ever have the guts to do face to face.....but the net makes hero's of mice doesn't it.

And you're right, Samsung has had it's share of problems, and that's why these type of forums are invaluable......but I think it's fair to say, that when we factor in price, Samsung should be on people's HDTV shopping list.

It makes no difference to me if people spend excessively and buy Sony/Pioneer, but what I hate is supporting dodgy companies at the expense of proven companies, ie, one should continue to support those that do a good job.

Sounds like you're someone who thinks life revolves around HDTV,.... and as soon as anyone voices anything remotely negative, you get into a huff{take it easy now dear}.

What planet are you from ?

I don't recall coming across any lifeforms remotely like you during my time in outer space.

But our friend had no problem taking a potshot at me......something he would never, ever have the guts to do face to face.....but the net makes hero's of mice doesn't it.

Want to bet? How do you back up your info, and who do you work for - Samsung? I work in the Professional TV industry, but not any electronic component company. Sony have some very good products, so others. I use a Samsung 'Next G' phone, it had to have its LCD panel replaced within 5 weeks?

Having reseached this LCD problem for a while with different companies, I would back a Sharp against any other panel (same release time wise).

Sharp was the first company with a LCD panel for your info 1988.

Not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere already but a Google search turned up a glossy of the Piano Black PD5X and PD7X series on the Australian Sharp web site:

http://www.sharp.net.au/catalogue/brochure...20_brochure.pdf

No mention of HDMI version.

The PD5X is only 720 resolution. The PD7X panels are full 1080. The specs for the 46" are as follows.

Luninance = 450 cd/m2

Contrast = 6,000:1 dynamic, 1,000:1 native

Viewing angles 176/176

Lamp life (replaceable) 60,000 hours

Responce speed 6msec

Inbult tuner DVB-T (no tuner in the professional version (for 24/7 operation - no fan).

AV in = 2

S-Vid = No

Component in = 2

DVI in = 1

HDMI = 2

RS-232C = 1

Dig audio out = Optical

AV out = 1 (doesnt say what type)

Power usage = 274W .9W in standby.

The inbuilt speakers sound very good for what they are. 15W x 2.

Want to bet? How do you back up your info, and who do you work for - Samsung? I work in the Professional TV industry, but not any electronic component company. Sony have some very good products, so others. I use a Samsung 'Next G' phone, it had to have its LCD panel replaced within 5 weeks?

Having reseached this LCD problem for a while with different companies, I would back a Sharp against any other panel (same release time wise).

Sharp was the first company with a LCD panel for your info 1988.

Hey killer, you're probably also 5 foot nuthin....but that aside, it's common knowledge that Sharp have had banding issues, and it's also common knowledge that other panels have had their problems.

I'm not knocking any of the 07 models, and I sincerely hope that a number of them get it right.....but right here and now, if I had to buy a TV, it would be a Panasonic Plasma.

Q. 720p/i input or 768 line panel ?

Panel as in 1366x768x3, which equates to 1289x720 active picture.

Hey killer, you're probably also 5 foot nuthin....but that aside, it's common knowledge that Sharp have had banding issues, and it's also common knowledge that other panels have had their problems.

I'm not knocking any of the 07 models, and I sincerely hope that a number of them get it right.....but right here and now, if I had to buy a TV, it would be a Panasonic Plasma.

You still didn't say if you worked for Samsung????????????

Of all the Professional people that i know who use the 46" Aquos, I have not heard of banding problems. It may be an issue with smaller panels that (a) Not mad in Japan (:blink: Not full 1080. If there are some out there I'm sorry I(we) have not heard about it since the arrival of the Aquos 1080 panels.

As a side issue you may need to seek anger management, I'm not angry at you, just pointing out your technical evaluation of Sharp v Samsung LCD. I find getting a cat or dog helps.