New 42" 1080p Sharp Aquos Due End Feb 07

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, it really is a question of scaling and deinterlacing rather than resolution. I have an outboard video processor and am looking to feed my display a 1080p signal. The scaling/deinterlacing solutions on the vast majority of lcd TVs (well, almost all TVs for that matter) are pretty crap. And it is noticable. I don't want to send my TV a really good 1080p signal (or 1080i if it won't accept 1080p, as many won't) and have it stuff the picture with crappy scaling to 768p. The same applies for new HD formats - I would much rather a 1080i/1080p input from a HD/Bluray player displayed without the substandard scaling of the TV introducting artifacts. To me, the difference in quality is very clear. These days, I would insist on a 1080p panel regardless of the size. Otherwise, I know that I would be less than satisfied and back in the store in two years time when only 1080p panels are available. But that might just be me!

If you have an outboard video processor, what’s the problem?

If its any good, it will deinterlace and scale very nicely to 768p, which you then feed to a 768 display.

If you are sending 1080i to the display, the displays deinterlacing will be the major limitation, not its scaling.

Obviously the 50” 768p Pioneer Plasma has good video processing as know one can see any significant difference between it and the 50” 1080p Pioneer at distances greater the 7 feet (about 2.1 meters) when fed identical 1080 source from HDDVD and BluRay.

I am not against 1080 displays, in fact I have always advocated them and have been using a 57” 1080 display for two years. What I do take exception to is the assumption by many that a 1080 display will look better then a 720-768 display in all circumstances.

If you sit close enough to the screen, 1080 is undoubtedly superior to 720 or 768, but you really do need to sit close to see that improvement.

At the screen size v viewing distance used by most people, a 1080 res screen is a waste, and other aspects of performance like video processing, colour accuracy, black level are all much more important to a good image then a little extra resolution.

I often hear people talk about “scaling artifacts” yet in my 7 years using displays larger then 42” I have never once seen a scaling artifact, in fact I have no idea what they may look like. I have seen poor scaling, but the worst that causes is a slight softening of the image, never any “artifacts”. The term artifact suggests some nasty visual distortion or aberration, but I have never observed any such thing. This may be because I have not been using the scalers in digital TV’s and always uses a HTPC.

Scaling if done well can be very beneficial to video quality, not destructive as some people think. Given the choice and the processing power I would deliberately scale all video very significantly up and down to help clean it up. This is the basis of FFDShow scaling on a HTPC, a technique that I originated several years ago.

I often hear people talk about “scaling artifacts” yet in my 7 years using displays larger then 42” I have never once seen a scaling artifact, in fact I have no idea what they may look like. I have seen poor scaling, but the worst that causes is a slight softening of the image, never any “artifacts”. The term artifact suggests some nasty visual distortion or aberration, but I have never observed any such thing. This may be because I have not been using the scalers in digital TV’s and always uses a HTPC.

Scaling if done well can be very beneficial to video quality, not destructive as some people think. Given the choice and the processing power I would deliberately scale all video very significantly up and down to help clean it up. This is the basis of FFDShow scaling on a HTPC, a technique that I originated several years ago.

I think it has to do with the quality of the source. All the work I deal with use 1920x1080 SDI (broadcast digital), or a very high quality domestic 1920x1080 source. All displays work better when in a 'one-one- pixel mode’ (no scaling). The main ones I’ve looked are the 45", 105" Aquos. I am waiting to look at the 42" new one. Sometimes for broadcast monitors we require a flat screen, but between 35-45". The smaller, higher quality LCD has a use that may be different to the public use. In fact finding high quality small displays is a pain in the butt!

These then help cross-check the image with the Professional HD CRTs, (which have been deleted from the Sony range). Decent LCDs for Broadcast (around 30") can cost $20K upwards, so imagine what a $4K looks like.

The other consideration is the panel latency (not response time) for places where audio mixing is done. I know of 2 places that use the Aquos 45" because it has minimal latency, as in lip sync.

Isnt the D62 'old news' in the USA now and the D92 the 'new model"? 3000:1 CR native on D92 btw....... 15000:1 dynamic. (match plasma)

Sharp OZ should play catch up a bit IMOP> The D62 series was bagged for banding and that the 42" was not a sharp panel from the new factory in japan, but a ring in from taiwan (ie u might as well buy a no name a few years back if u want a CMO panel). I would be dubious about the 6ms on the taiwanese panel. IMOP its may be a 8ms panel with overdrive......

anyways, here is D62 info

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=747234

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=733575

D92 info

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=771987

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=661832

footnote - im also reading sharp have banding/clouding isues in d90 series, just like sony/samsung (SLCD). Check ur set on purchase and make sure u have a swap path!

I thought we were talking about the LC-42GD7X (see 1st thread)?

To quote Bitman (second post)

"

The 42" is in the US as the LC-42D62U, it was coincidently released about 3 months after the 46" & 52" D62U's and as has been discussed has slightly lower specs and panel comes from Taiwan not Japan."

And Crayons is right when he says "(WHY do they insist on totally different naming conventions in every market?!)"

so it is the D62 series we are chatting 'bout here :blink:

Last time I checked about 2 months ago, the 360 only did games @ 1080p via component, for HD-DVD @ 1080p you needed VGA.

I'm hoping the 42" street price will be around or slighty lower than the 40" sony X, and depending on PQ might still go for the 46" (leaning that way), by then it might also be in better supply & slightly cheaper.

I hope you aren't looking at the Sony X series for playing 360 at 1080p, last I heard the X series only accepts 1080p over HDMI, there was alot of complaints about it in the av forums. But maybe that was just the american model or something. I was looking at it for a while as it does look good on paper (well untill you get to the fine print at least) but luckily the X series is so ugly I was able to wait it out and find that it barely did anything I wanted anyway :/.

And in reply to those that mentioned it earlier, yer I know there's not much point to having HDMI 1.3 since the set wont (AFAIK) have deep colors and all the other audio formats that come with HDMI 1.3 so it's not going to stop me from buying a HDTV without it. But it does mean there's less chance of it getting screwed up if I plug in an HDMI 1.3 device (PS3), though I'm sure I'm just being paranoid about that :blink:.

To quote Bitman (second post)

"

The 42" is in the US as the LC-42D62U, it was coincidently released about 3 months after the 46" & 52" D62U's and as has been discussed has slightly lower specs and panel comes from Taiwan not Japan."

And Crayons is right when he says "(WHY do they insist on totally different naming conventions in every market?!)"

so it is the D62 series we are chatting 'bout here :blink:

The 1st post here has quote:

"Sharp sales tell me that a 42" 1080p Sharp Aquos should be available in Aus end Feb 07.

LC-42GD7X... you can find some specs on it in this brochure..."

So isn't this post about this model or are we getting side tracked?

Again you can't have the same model in the USA as here, because it has a different Digital Tuner. Thus it it a DIFFERENT model. It may be the same screen or size but it is a beast of a 'different colour'. The USA has a ATSC system tuner while we have a DBV system tuner.

Again you can't have the same model in the USA as here, because it has a different Digital Tuner. Thus it it a DIFFERENT model. It may be the same screen or size but it is a beast of a 'different colour'. The USA has a ATSC system tuner while we have a DBV system tuner.

Point taken but it would it kill them to have the same basic model number reflecting the guts of the panel and a suffix for the regional variation? i.e. 46D62-ATSC and 46D62-DVB ?

Probably by using completely different naming it helps the manufacturers release older models in different markets (as seems to be the case with the Sharp TV in question) without people realising and thinking they're being stiffed.

I think u will find the TV circuit is designed as just a board they slot in for the market in question. Also the UK tends to spec up TVS with SCART whereas us and the USA like RCA connectors. Its just part of the localisation that goes on.

something of interest is that our Digital TV most resembles the Korean one (different to UK or USA)

I think u will find the TV circuit is designed as just a board they slot in for the market in question. Also the UK tends to spec up TVS with SCART whereas us and the USA like RCA connectors. Its just part of the localisation that goes on.

something of interest is that our Digital TV most resembles the Korean one (different to UK or USA)

Although the television standard in Korea is NTSC, rather than PAL, and it is actually very difficult to buy a tv in Korea that will even accept a PAL signal.

There is so much wrong infomation in this thread, its unbeleivable.

I will clear a few up.

The 42" panel(1080p) is not made in taiwan. There are 2 models. LC42BX5X - limited model 1366 x768 (made in taiwan or wherever)

LC42PD7X - Piano black model out soon. 1200:1 Contrast (46 & 52" 2000:1) Panel made in Japan. 4ms response only on 60Hz signals. 6ms response rest of time.

LC42PD7X - Piano black model out soon. 1200:1 Contrast (46 & 52" 2000:1) Panel made in Japan. 4ms response only on 60Hz signals. 6ms response rest of time.

Thanks for the info spacecowboy.

Again slightly OT, do you know if it also mean's that the 46 & 52" will have the updated PD7X suffix and piano black frame? And if so will it have any internal difference's to the current (ugly) GD7X's? Going by the 2000:1 CR it seems not as the new US models are 3000:1.

Again slightly OT, do you know if it also mean's that the 46 & 52" will have the updated PD7X suffix and piano black frame? And if so will it have any internal difference's to the current (ugly) GD7X's? Going by the 2000:1 CR it seems not as the new US models are 3000:1.

46 & 52" Piano blacks to be released within a month or so. Same spec as current GD7X's.

46 & 52" Piano blacks to be released within a month or so. Same spec as current GD7X's.

Nice, do they even include the DVI port? When I was looking at the US models I was thinking "If only it had DVI so I don't need to mess with DVI->HDMI" and the Aus 46" & 52" models got it :blink:. Hopefully these get it too.

Do you know if the "ugly" 42" will still be comming out before the piano black one? Or if the 42" PB will come out at the same time as the 46" & 52"?

The 42" coming out now is 6ms and 1,200:1 native contrast. The model number is Lc-42GD7X.

The new 52", 46" have 2,00:1 native contrast, 4ms. All 3 modles have 2 HDMI, 3 AVs, 1 S-VId, 1 DVI-I &2 component in. I also understnd they have digital audio out. I get to play with a 42 late next week for a while. For our situation anythink bigger is 'too big'. Sharp don't (locally) have a 'PD' suffix modle listed, what is it?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a blurb regarding the new Sharp models just released.

"Sharp will roll out five new HD Aquos LCD TV models in 65V-, 57V-, 52V-, 46V-, and 42V-inch screen sizes. They come with double-speed Advanced Super View LCD panels and 120-HZ. These new Aquos LCD TV's have a high contrast ratio of 3,000:1 (living room contrast*3 is 1300:1), which gives deep blacks and powerful, realistic images. These features are made possible by the double-speed Advanced Super View LCD panel, which is based on Sharp's newly developed double-speed full-spec HD LCD technology.

The new models are also the industry's thinnest and lightest, the 52V-inch model is just 8.5cm thick and comes in shiny piano black.

The R Series is also compatible with the Aquos Fami-link, a setup that combines the Aquos LCD TV with Aquos Blu-ray Disc Player, Aquos HD Recorder, and AQUOS Audio System means easy, user-friendly operation for the home."

There is no listed retail price on their website. Has anyone seen a listed price for these panels on the web?

Here's a blurb regarding the new Sharp models just released.....

Ermmm... yup... but that's from this press release on the site...

"Beginning on March 10, 2007, Sharp Corporation is introducing into the Japanese market five new full-spec... 42" date of introduction Aprl 16 ... 3000 units per month"

Sure they look spiffy - but there's nothing about when or if we will see them here.

Info on the PDX7 is here .... http://www.sharp.net.au/catalogue/catalogu...p?goto=LC42PD7X

Ermmm... yup... but that's from this press release on the site...

"Beginning on March 10, 2007, Sharp Corporation is introducing into the Japanese market five new full-spec... 42" date of introduction Aprl 16 ... 3000 units per month"

Sure they look spiffy - but there's nothing about when or if we will see them here.

$5700 bucks tell them there dreaming

"$5700 bucks tell them there dreaming"

I totally concur. When the Samsung 40" 1080p model is breaking 3K street price and the sony about 900 more, I find Sharp Oz is not being realistic with their RRP.

After all, I read a lot of blurbs saying Sharp would be undercutting the other guys with the massive volume the new plant(s) give them.... Maybe we look at US prices and see what the local importer is doing

To top this off, the 42" is the average screen not made in the new factory, thus the lower PQ. The American & UK forums report its a Taiwanese made panel (CMO/AUO i guess).

One bright side is the introduction of a 37" 1080p model in the UK that IS made in the new factory and has the amazing CR that the >42 sizes offer. WHen OZ will get that one I dont know. It may be affordable.

"$5700 bucks tell them there dreaming"

I totally concur. When the Samsung 40" 1080p model is breaking 3K street price and the sony about 900 more, I find Sharp Oz is not being realistic with their RRP.

Yer it's pretty stupid, however the RRP on the 46" sharp is $7199 but JB are selling it for $5600ish without any haggling. So I'm optimistic that the 42" can be gotten for $4000.

Has anyone seen the 42" anywhere yet?

Yer it's pretty stupid, however the RRP on the 46" sharp is $7199 but JB are selling it for $5600ish without any haggling. So I'm optimistic that the 42" can be gotten for $4000.

Has anyone seen the 42" anywhere yet?

Yup. Viewed on on Sunday. Great picture. Very slight banding evident when fed a mid grey screen over DVI but I don't believe you'd ever notice it in normal viewing.

DVI 1920x1080 was super crisp. No over sharpening evident - desktop text was great.

And yeah - RRP is just stupid.

Yup. Viewed on on Sunday. Great picture. Very slight banding evident when fed a mid grey screen over DVI but I don't believe you'd ever notice it in normal viewing.

DVI 1920x1080 was super crisp. No over sharpening evident - desktop text was great.

And yeah - RRP is just stupid.

Did you use a laptop as your DVI source? And it was easy to get 1:1 mapping with no mucking around? (I assume you had 1:1 as you say desktop text was good.) Thanks.

Did you use a laptop as your DVI source? And it was easy to get 1:1 mapping with no mucking around? (I assume you had 1:1 as you say desktop text was good.) Thanks.

Yup - plugged in lappy. And there was a simple "Full" mode over DVI (and presumably HDMI and VGA) that did 1:1 (oddly - not in the on screen menu system but accessible from a sliding door on the remote).