Joan Of Arcadia

Those who were delighted that after the two-year (yep, TWO YEAR) wait to see the rest of season 1 (and hopefully then season 2) of Joan Of Arcadia and discovered Nine started screening it in the Housewife Slot last week will be disappointed to learn that today's episode is the last Nine are screening; this one's season 1, episode 17. We got a whole 7 episodes before Nine pulled the plug once again.

Yes, yes, I know that the slot is needed for "Shameless Product Placement With Kerri-Anne Kennel", but with all those free slots in their schedule, SURELY Nine can find room to play out this excellent series?

I'll call them today, though I already know there is no point.

What a crying shame it is when impeccably produced, quality drama gets dumped unannounced in the "housewife slot", then pulled off air in favour of cheap, bargain-basement rubbish. The treatment Nine has given this show - as well as Everwood - speaks volumes. They don't consider it of any value at all. It's just filler that has to get played sometime. Who cares if anyone actually knows it's on? And who cares if those watching it get left in the lurch?

Time for me to go a-hunting, I think, for an alternative source. Anyone with any suggestions, please PM me :blink:

It's obvious that Nine don't care how I obtain the program, so I'll be sure to tell them that when I call them.

I know I should just expect this sort of treatment from the networks by now, but that isn't the point; I'm not about to just lie down and take it. Civil disobedience is pretty much a necessity for fans of quality TV these days.

Grrrr.

Maybe they will release a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray version to watch? I didn't look at the show myself but can see it being more than annoying having it pulled after such a long loss. It is strange isn't it, Nine repeats shows such as RPA yet cannot show new episodes of this.

Maybe they will release a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray version to watch?

Sadly, I doubt that'll happen in the forseeable future - the show simply doesn't have a big enough market. Maybe years down the track when the HD formats get to the penetration of DVD, but that's a long, long way off.

I didn't look at the show myself but can see it being more than annoying having it pulled after such a long loss.

Precisely - they showed 10 episodes in its original run, then pulled it for 2 years (despite saying to me on the phone way back then that it would be "back soon"). So when it started again last week (which I only knew about because of a post on Usenet) I found myself having to go read through tv.com's episode guide to remember what the hell was happening and who was who! And now that I'm back in the show's storyline again, they yank it prematurely. One more week and they'd have finished season 1, so I could then buy season 2 on DVD and ignore Nine completely.

I'll have to try and find someone with a "copy" of season 1, I think.

Shows like this, with season-long story arcs, cannot be interrupted like this. Not that Nine gives a toss; to them, it's just something to fill empty timeslots with, and screw the audience.

It is strange isn't it, Nine repeats shows such as RPA yet cannot show new episodes of this.

Exactly. They're very, very repeat-happy when they have a whole library of unscreened shows they could put to air.

This would be a great use for digital multichanneling.

I can't seem to find mention of Region 4 DVDs, are you guys talking about Region 1 box sets?

I liked what little I saw of that show... finally something my GF and I can tolerate, unlike the gilmore girls with the endless yapping without pause to inhale...

Yes - Season 1 & Season 2 (and that's all there is) are both available in R1. But they're around US$40 each at the moment.

If you like Joan of Arcadia you'll almost definitely like Wonderfalls - this is also available as a complete set in R1 for around US$28.

On a side note: isn't it just fantastic how all the great shows get cancelled :blink: (Joan of Arcadia, Wonderfalls, Firefly, My So Called Life, etc) at least it makes it easy to own every episode of these shows.

Yes - Season 1 & Season 2 (and that's all there is) are both available in R1. But they're around US$40 each at the moment.

If you like Joan of Arcadia you'll almost definitely like Wonderfalls - this is also available as a complete set in R1 for around US$28.

On a side note: isn't it just fantastic how all the great shows get cancelled :blink: (Joan of Arcadia, Wonderfalls, Firefly, My So Called Life, etc) at least it makes it easy to own every episode of these shows.

Thanks for the information!

You're right, I am indeed a fan of Wonderfalls, its Malcolm in the middle, only much better :D

What bugs me is that R1 DVDs are NTSC resolution, and the difference between that and PAL res is IMO substantial. Not only do they kick you in the teeth by canceling the shows, they often don't bother ever releasing R4 versions to DVD just to pour salt on the wound.

And that's a situation where so-called "illegal" downloading is perfectly justifiable.

Thanks to your 'heads-up' I was able to record 5 of the 7 episodes :D

But as said, it leaves Season 1 up in the air and whay other choice is there left to see the end of the season but 'alternate means'? :blink:

• 4 weeks later...
It's back - 4pm Sunday and in HD.

This week's episode is 'Requiem For A Third Grade Ashtray'.

Thank you for the heads-up!!! I theoretically would have noticed it when I perused the Green Guide later this evening, but you've made sure I didn't miss it :blink:

The episode is the correct one in sequence, too (season 1, episode 18).

Perhaps Nine losing the AFL football rights has a silver lining :D

Thanks for the info ... pvr now set-up to record it! :blink:

Hope you double-checked the time - in Melbourne at least, it's now listed as being on at 3.30pm instead of 4pm.

Good old Australian FTA - don't bother watching unless you are prepared to keep an eye on the program guides with the regularity of a share trading addict :D

Good old Australian FTA - don't bother watching unless you are prepared to keep an eye on the program guides with the regularity of a share trading addict :blink:

I've given up and hired a TV broker, to sit there refreshing the guide every 30 seconds, with his finger on the remote.

Just noticed Melbourne and Adelaide are getting 'Gilmore Girls' as well.

Sydney: None

Melbourne: Joan of Arcadia and Gilmore Girls

Hobart (WIN): Gilmore Girls

Darwin: None

Canberra (WIN): None

Adelaide: Joan of Arcadia and Gilmore Girls

Perth: Joan of Arcadia

Brisbane: None

Basically, what Nine is saying is:

THIS IS FILLER PROGRAMMING THAT WE NEED TO DISPOSE OF, AND SCREW YOU IF YOU ACTUALLY WANT TO SEE IT AND HAPPEN TO LIVE IN A CITY WHERE IT'S NOT SHOWING

And they wonder why people "illegally" (ha!!!!) download shows.

Break the "law" people. Nobody in power in this country gives a rat's.

Basically, what Nine is saying is:

THIS IS FILLER PROGRAMMING THAT WE NEED TO DISPOSE OF, AND SCREW YOU IF YOU ACTUALLY WANT TO SEE IT AND HAPPEN TO LIVE IN A CITY WHERE IT'S NOT SHOWING

Sadly, that's what happened here ... got sport instead. :blink:

Looks like the dvd's of both series will be the way both these excellent series will be able to be viewed without missing vital episodes. :D