Sign in to follow this  
Ultrasmart

Harmony 525 $99- At Officeworks

Do these things ever go into sleep mode? ive never seen it in sleep mode even after leaving it overnight and im worried that its needlessly draining the batteries.

Or does it somehow sense my presence and know that Master has arrrived?

update: lol just came back from some shopping and it was off. Maybe someones been watching tv in the mornings before i wake.

Edited by Leonidas

Funny thing, I had the same problem setting up mine yesterday. What model is your TV? I have the KDL-32V3100 and it wasn't in the Harmony database (to my surprise) so the program recommended another similar model the KDL-32D3100.

Initially, I didn't select the alternative model and proceeded to follow the setup for my model using my remote to learn some of the commands. However, this didn't work. Frustrated, I decided to just select the recommended model and then the video inputs worked like a charm.

Looking at the settings for my remote in the Harmony software, it looks like the HD/DVD1 and HD/DVD2 map to the Component1 and Component2 inputs. Maybe you have something similar for your TV? There's also two inputs called YC2 and YC3 which I'm not sure what they represent.

Hope that helps ease some of the frustration I had.

My model is KLV-S32A10 and its in the harmony database. It doesntt give me Component 1 and 2 or YC1 etc, just video 1,2,3...

Redo the initial setup for your TV and 'map' the AV inputs with the right commands. You might find that at the moment, video 4 & 5 aren't mapped to control the HD/DVD inputs. If all else fails you can 'learn' the commands from the original remote, but I hazard a guess that being a Sony product, the commands should be in the database.

What do you mean by map the AV inputs? The sony remote has a cycle button for inputs and the wega gate menu where u can navigate and select the inputs.

Even though I have a Philips Pronto, I bought one of these for the missus for the living room. have set it up as much as I can in work today, will give it a test drive tonight. Its a shame you cant configure your setup without having the remote (as I wanted to do this last night).

On the whole pretty impressed with this, especially when you consider the savings.

I was also surprised that my Topfield Masterpiece had to be configured manually using the IR Learning for EVERY FUNCTION. Power On/Off, Channel Up/Down, Record, Archive, etc.

The Masterpiece is definitely in the database..I use it in my setup.

If you can't find an exact match for your device, you can select "Confirm IR commands" from the device options. This will ask you to press a few buttons on your factory remote, and attempt to match a device profile in the database from these commands.

My model is KLV-S32A10 and its in the harmony database. It doesntt give me Component 1 and 2 or YC1 etc, just video 1,2,3...

What do you mean by map the AV inputs? The sony remote has a cycle button for inputs and the wega gate menu where u can navigate and select the inputs.

Go to "More options" for the TV device, then select "Adjust Inputs". You can change the names of the inputs to match what your TV actually has.

Before you do this, select Device mode for the TV and try all the "Input..." commands listed, and note which inputs they go to. If you find commands that go directly to each input, select this method in the "Adjust inputs" setup (It says something like "A button for each input"). Assign the commands for each input that you found in device mode.

Even though I have a Philips Pronto, I bought one of these for the missus for the living room. have set it up as much as I can in work today, will give it a test drive tonight. Its a shame you cant configure your setup without having the remote (as I wanted to do this last night).

On the whole pretty impressed with this, especially when you consider the savings.

You can configure the setup without having the remote connected. I do it at work all the time. Use the web based setup at http://members.harmonyremote.com if you don't have the software installed on the remote computer. When you get home, just log in and select "Update remote".

You can configure the setup without having the remote connected. I do it at work all the time. Use the web based setup at http://members.harmonyremote.com if you don't have the software installed on the remote computer. When you get home, just log in and select "Update remote".

One of the best parts of the Harmony software. BTW czzer, Foxtail ahs posted a question on the PVR/DVD subforum regarding an issue with getting his PC to recognise the Harmony 1000. Any suggestions?

One of the best parts of the Harmony software. BTW czzer, Foxtail ahs posted a question on the PVR/DVD subforum regarding an issue with getting his PC to recognise the Harmony 1000. Any suggestions?

I replied over there, but not with anything useful unfortunately...I've never personally had any problems with connecting to the remote..

Just got a 525 myself from OW b4 Chrissy and must say i am loving it! :D

Sure as has been mentioned the build quality isn't its greatest feature and sometimes the buttons can be a little sticky/unresponsive...but this thing is UNDER$100 baby! And if the XBOX version is half that it really is bargain of the century.

Initial setup was quick and pain-free and worked sooo much better than my old Sunwave 'puniversal' that it has now replaced.

A further late night customising session got it near perfect in 10minutes flat and i reckon 1 more session will nail it perfectly...until of course i upgrade something (whch is always inevitable) - but even then the PC interface is really user friendly and makes it all a cinch!

I truly cannot believe how powerful AND simple these are both in terms of setting up and in day to day use. And all for the price of roughly 2 cartons of beer!

Anyway - it's true they aren't perfect but they have to be the single greatest value for money, bang for your buck upgrade to a HT system and they look much 'higher end' than they are as well as making it easy for even my mum to come over and get the HT to do just what she wants... which has previously always been impossible.

Edited by yamapro

Thanks for that!

I truly cannot believe how powerful AND simple these are both in terms of setting up and in day to day use. And all for the price of roughly 2 cartons of beer!

Lucky I didnt think of it in those terms or I probably would have bought the beer :blush:

Totally agree though, a brilliant device, initial setup quite easy then some fine tuning to get specific functions into required activities.

High waf as well. ;)

Yeah WAF with this puppy is off the scale!

The beer goes down extra well now too as i have freed up a hand that was otherwise shuffling remotes!

Yeah WAF with this puppy is off the scale!

The beer goes down extra well now too as i have freed up a hand that was otherwise shuffling remotes!

Has anyone seen any of the Xbox models in Melbourne recently? Couldn't find one at the Bridge Rd store that someone mentioned previously.

Update:

Basically, the techie had to create a new set of commands for my Loewe Xelos 5381 CRT so I could select the AV input. This really surprised me, as I would have thought there would already be a set of commands in their database for such a popular model.

You must be special! Their techies in Canada have supposedly tried all manner of stuff (including a 45 minute phoen call) to get my 5381 working properly again, and are just ignoring me now. :(

I just hope the Bravia I'm getting soon has more sensible input changing controls than the simply ludicrous ones on the Loewe. :)

Cheers!

amyf.

Has anyone seen any of the Xbox models in Melbourne recently? Couldn't find one at the Bridge Rd store that someone mentioned previously.

From my little sortie today it appears they're all gorn... they checked the computer for me and the only store coming up with any had sold them by that time.

Cheers!

amyf.

Apologies for singlehandedly virtually hijacking a thread, however I was just wondering if any kind DTVers may please have a scan of the ad from the Hun with the Xbox Harmony remote at $49 they could pop up here or send me?

Seems if so then maybe some price matching may be possible...? :)

Cheers!

amyf.

(Apologies, edits have been due to my near-complete inability to type properly this evening.)

Edited by amyf

From my little sortie today it appears they're all gorn... they checked the computer for me and the only store coming up with any had sold them by that time.

Cheers!

amyf.

Looks like I'll have to give up on getting one at $49. I went to three stores today and none of them had them. They also checked the computer for me to see what stores had them, but couldn't even find the product on the system.

Looks like I'll have to give up on getting one at $49.

Not if somebody here is kind enough to pop up/PM a scan/photo of the Officeworks ad from 27/12, page 6 of the Herald Sun (I believe).

(Subtle ain't I? ;))

In theory stores who claim to price match advertised prices will have to do so... It's certainly worth a try.

Cheers!

amyf.

officeworks will price match any advertised competitors price - given that you take in the special with you, and that the competitor has it in stock

A heads up for anybody interested... a Dick Smith Powerhouse begrudgingly matched the Officeworks price for me this afternoon. They have them marked at $149.

So, cheers Tricky Dicky! :)

amyf.

ha - i had bought the xbox version, and returned it to keep the 525 (which cost more money, but does less - only because it looked better and the blue backlight matches the blue lighting on my receiver/dvd player!). i saw the 555 version at harvey norman yesterday too - for $150.

anyway, overall i'm very happy with the 525 - but am a bit annoyed at the setup issues. my tv (panasonic 50px70a) is in the database, but the remote seems to think it's another panasonic tv (with picture-in-picture functions etc). has been a bugger to try to get the inputs on the tv working (eg the remote doesn't seem to map the buttons to swtich from tv to dvd etc - and had to do all this manually - eg if i pressed "watch tv", the tv wouldn't switch to the tv setting if i'd previously been watching a dvd...).

there are quite a few bugs to sort out with this thing - lots of tinkering is needed...

I'm getting better results with each tweak, but I'm having an issue I'm not confident I can resolve.

I have a Yamaha AV Receiver (RX-V540). On the remote, the numbers 1-9 correlate to different surround/DSP modes. When watching a DVD, I always select the Dolby/dts auto mode, but when watching TV, we tend to switch between a few of the different modes depending on what we're watching.

Some of the DSP modes contain sub-choices that you cycle through, eg "TV/Theatre" gives you "Variety/Sports", "Mono Movie", etc.

What I want to be able to do is have the "Watch TV" activity always default the surround mode to "Variety/Sports". I've told it to always hit the "TV/Theatre" mode, but that results in it cycling to the next sub-choice everytime we use the activity.

Does anyone know of a direct way to select which surround mode you want to use?

I'm getting better results with each tweak, but I'm having an issue I'm not confident I can resolve.

I have a Yamaha AV Receiver (RX-V540). On the remote, the numbers 1-9 correlate to different surround/DSP modes. When watching a DVD, I always select the Dolby/dts auto mode, but when watching TV, we tend to switch between a few of the different modes depending on what we're watching.

Some of the DSP modes contain sub-choices that you cycle through, eg "TV/Theatre" gives you "Variety/Sports", "Mono Movie", etc.

What I want to be able to do is have the "Watch TV" activity always default the surround mode to "Variety/Sports". I've told it to always hit the "TV/Theatre" mode, but that results in it cycling to the next sub-choice everytime we use the activity.

i don't have the same receiver, but i've just made the harmony remote learn the same button as the receiver's remote (which it sounds like you've also done).

i had a similar problem with the tv's inputs - i struggled to get it to the tv input when pressing "watch tv" - and tried to get it to hit that button - and, depending on what the last source was, it would then just cycle through the inputs. very annoying.

the remote was able to match the inputs for the tv - which needed some tinkering - but worked for the inputs only. not sure if you can do the same for surround modes. you might just need to hit 2 buttons instead of 1 (ie make the tv/theatre button one of the buttons that appears on the screen...)

Looks like I'll have to give up on getting one at $49. I went to three stores today and none of them had them. They also checked the computer for me to see what stores had them, but couldn't even find the product on the system.

I did the ring around today. Apparently they still have one xbox version at the Clayton store for $70.

overall i'm very happy with the 525 - but am a bit annoyed at the setup issues. my tv (panasonic 50px70a) is in the database, but the remote seems to think it's another panasonic tv (with picture-in-picture functions etc). has been a bugger to try to get the inputs on the tv working (eg the remote doesn't seem to map the buttons to swtich from tv to dvd etc - and had to do all this manually - eg if i pressed "watch tv", the tv wouldn't switch to the tv setting if i'd previously been watching a dvd...).

The Harmony DB lists commands for all similar devices in my experience - ie I have an older Pioneer AVR which when I loaded it up on my Harmony had a whole bunch of extra commands that are not available on my AVR. I believe they would use the same DB for all Panasonic PX7XX TVs, so you may have commands for the higher spec models eg PiP, which isn't available on your TV. Test all the commands, and if they do nothing, then either delete them or 'learn' them. Alternately, try another model number eg PZ7XX orPX6XX. The older PV60 didn't have a discrete code for the HDMI input, but the newer PX600 Database did, so many users upgraded their setup to utilise thes codes which were still compatible with their older TVs.

I also had to remap my inoputs on my Panasonic PX600. Now, no issues regarding input selection.

If your original remote could select directly to the sourround modes then use the learning function to teach the correct commands to the Harmony.

The other option is to change the setup for that activity so that you add more commands associated with that activity eg

- turn on TV

- turn on Yamaha AVR

- select TV/Theatre mode (you may have to repeat this or add the other modes you need to cycle through to get to the right one)

Upon exiting from that activity, then add some more commands, so that you go back to a common setting (like a reference point) on your AVR so that when you start it up again, it always starts at the same point on the DSP modes and will always cycle the right amount of times.

Another example would be if you had a cycle method for choosing inputs on a TV. Whenever you leave an activity (eg watch TV, Watch DVD, Play Game etc) you send the command(s) so that the TV is always set to the TV input. This is then the reference point for any other activity to select inputs.