Harmony Remote Control Owners & Discussion Thread

guys for anyone with a denon avp/avc or denon 4308. what did you do to setup the harmony ? only choices its giving me is some old denon avrs. selecting the denon 4308 is not perfect its wanting me to physically confirm buttons and what not. do I have too ?

Does anyone know where I can get all the latest Foxtel and FTA logos to suit the 1000!?

I have visited the Remote Central website but it is for the 785 and is sized differently and the logos look crap on the 1000. Is there anywhere else that I can get them or I am just a numpty and have no idea how to resize them to fit?

Any help appreciated.

Would these work any better ?

The Harmony 520 and 525 look the same except that the 520 doesn't have the extra row of coloured buttons. If they were incorrectly illustrated on a website, I could only guess that the images could be easily confused during webpage construction.

Edited by Wing Nut

The Harmony 520 and 525 look the same except that the 520 doesn't have the extra row of coloured buttons. If they were incorrectly illustrated on a website, I could only guess that the images could be easily confused during webpage construction.

In that case I can't believe that Logitech made that mistake themselves! :P

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/remotes/...71&cl=au,en

Ended up getting one a few minutes ago from DSE for $74. It seems people are happy enough with it.

My mate kept on trying to convince me to get the DSE LCD one, but I've loved all my Logitech products in the past.

If you mean the rubber plug that covers the USB port when not in use, my second 525 was missing that bit. Maybe that's how they were able to drop the RRP. :P

Yep! That's the one!

Bastards. To be honest the overall build looks cheaper than the ones I remember.

It feels like it'll fall apart if drop it by mistake. Why on earth would they not include that though?

Also, my Samsung LCD doesn't start on DTV... switches to normal TV, not DTV when I turn it on. :(

Also, my Samsung LCD doesn't start on DTV... switches to normal TV, not DTV when I turn it on. :(

Sounds like you use the same command to switch between DTV/analogue inputs. I presume this command is sent everytime on startup, and since you turned it off whilst it was on DTV, then it switches over to analogue on startup. One way to fix it is to send the DTV/analogue command on ending an activity. This sends the TV to analogue input just before it shuts the TV off. Then on startup it sends the command again and switches it back to DTV.

Sounds like you use the same command to switch between DTV/analogue inputs. I presume this command is sent everytime on startup, and since you turned it off whilst it was on DTV, then it switches over to analogue on startup. One way to fix it is to send the DTV/analogue command on ending an activity. This sends the TV to analogue input just before it shuts the TV off. Then on startup it sends the command again and switches it back to DTV.

Hmmm, good idea!

Also, are the new remotes really badly built? Mine kind of creaks when I move it... it doesnt feel sturdy like other remotes, but really cheap like it's going to break quickly.

Has it always been like this, or is it the recent 'cheaper' ones?

Does everyone's Harmony come without a USB port plug?

I dare say all the Harmony range will now be coming without the little rubber plug. My old 785 had one, i sent that back for replacement, my new one doesn't have one. And it's not like they forgot to put it on, clearly not ment to have one.

Also, are the new remotes really badly built? Mine kind of creaks when I move it... it doesnt feel sturdy like other remotes, but really cheap like it's going to break quickly.

Has it always been like this, or is it the recent 'cheaper' ones?

The 2x525's I have had were like this. They certainly look good in the packaging, but wreak of cheap build once you start to use them. However, they are great at what they can do and are very reasonably priced B) so functionality rules over build quality in my househild. With two 5yo also using it, it is cheap to replace and I can't imagine using any of my HT gear without it - fumbling through 4-5 remotes is not any fun :P

I dare say all the Harmony range will now be coming without the little rubber plug. My old 785 had one, i sent that back for replacement, my new one doesn't have one. And it's not like they forgot to put it on, clearly not ment to have one.

The same thing happened with my 525. The original I bought about 18 months ago had the plug, but a replacement I recieved under warranty came without the plug. I checked a few in OW and HN and they too were missing the plug. My original remotes' plug didn't last very long as the kids ripped it off anyway. :angry:

Ah, so the cheap build is 'ok', considering it's meant to be like that.

I wonder how long these will last though. :P

I've now got two buttons that don't work on my 520 and one that is flaky.

So longevity is not a programmed feature.

I've now got two buttons that don't work on my 520 and one that is flaky.

So longevity is not a programmed feature.

Lyle, sounds like an upgrade to the 525 may be in order considering how cheap they are these days...withthe added benefit of having the coloured hard buttons on the remote for controlling the Toppy7000?

Lyle, sounds like an upgrade to the 525 may be in order considering how cheap they are these days...withthe added benefit of having the coloured hard buttons on the remote for controlling the Toppy7000?
LOL. I actually have an 880 I bought of Yorac that I have programmed and not used much.

Just a matter of changing over!!

EDIT: Eureka! I figured it out. I was changing the activities buttons instead of going to the Device and changing it from there.

The teletext colored buttons are working like a charm now, and the whole thing makes a more sense! :D

Edited by chipmunk

• 2 weeks later...

got my 525 today.. setup almost everything and most of it works fine (except for small time glitches here and there..)

well.. ive got my foxtel.. yamaha receiver.. lcd tv and dvd player ..

when i switch sources.. there is always one part that does not switch properly.. and then i have to use the help button which fixes it..

eg: i am on my dvd input .. its all good... i try switching to my foxtel which is connected to my receiver... but instead.. it goes to my tv source (which basically is FTA).. and then i press the help button... and it brings me back to foxtel..

any solutions guys ?

Rocean, sounds like you haven't got the Foxtel input mapped correctly, and it's sending the DTV command instead of "inputX" which is where you have the Foxtel hooked up. I would check your "Watch Foxtel" activity and see that the Foxtel input is mapped to the right command.

Rocean, sounds like you haven't got the Foxtel input mapped correctly, and it's sending the DTV command instead of "inputX" which is where you have the Foxtel hooked up. I would check your "Watch Foxtel" activity and see that the Foxtel input is mapped to the right command.

nope.. its set up correctly.. checked again now..

and i can say its set up correctly because when i press the help button.. then it switches to the correct source..

Is it a TV that has 1 button that changes all sources. Eg, my tv has compnent 1, 2 and 3 but its controlled by only one button on the remote. As a result when I change from my xbox on component 2 to my set top box on component 1 it will cycle to component 3 next and then I have to push help to get it to jump to component 1. It won't jump from compnent 2 to 1, it has to cycle to 3 first.

If my remote had a dedicated button for component 1, 2 and 3 I wouldn't suffer from this. Unfortunately there is nothing I can do as it appears to be a limitation of the harmony.

If what I wrote is not what your suffering from try turning up the response time to different inputs.

Is it a TV that has 1 button that changes all sources. Eg, my tv has compnent 1, 2 and 3 but its controlled by only one button on the remote. As a result when I change from my xbox on component 2 to my set top box on component 1 it will cycle to component 3 next and then I have to push help to get it to jump to component 1. It won't jump from compnent 2 to 1, it has to cycle to 3 first.

If my remote had a dedicated button for component 1, 2 and 3 I wouldn't suffer from this. Unfortunately there is nothing I can do as it appears to be a limitation of the harmony.

If what I wrote is not what your suffering from try turning up the response time to different inputs.

yep.. exactly the same here.. 1 button for all sources..

oh damn.. sounds like quite a bad limitation i reckon.. let's see.. probably call logitech on monday and see what they have to say.

If pressing the "Help" button fixes it, then I assume it's using a discrete code to go to the right input on your TV, and not cycling through all inputs to get to the right one. In Device mode, if you press the Foxtel input whilst the TV is on one that is a couple of inputs away, does it go direct to that input?

You may need to increase the delay between commands sent between different devices. In the activity, you can increase the "Inter Device delay" as it sounds like that is where you are having the issue.

ok.. i've basically found out what the problem now is.. and as said by diesel (it is the delay settings that i gotta adjust out)..

the problem for me atleast is... my tv takes atleast 8-9 seconds to power on.. and only then the remote should send the signal to change the inputs..

unfortunately.. the remote sends the signal to the tv to change inputs before my tv has fully started..

so basically.. i have to send the "change input signal" after 8-9 seconds which basically is after my tv has powered on.

thanks for the help guys !

Edited by Rocean