Harmony Remote Control Owners & Discussion Thread

Yeah WAF with this puppy is off the scale!

The beer goes down extra well now too as i have freed up a hand that was otherwise shuffling remotes!

Has anyone seen any of the Xbox models in Melbourne recently? Couldn't find one at the Bridge Rd store that someone mentioned previously.

Update:

Basically, the techie had to create a new set of commands for my Loewe Xelos 5381 CRT so I could select the AV input. This really surprised me, as I would have thought there would already be a set of commands in their database for such a popular model.

You must be special! Their techies in Canada have supposedly tried all manner of stuff (including a 45 minute phoen call) to get my 5381 working properly again, and are just ignoring me now. :(

I just hope the Bravia I'm getting soon has more sensible input changing controls than the simply ludicrous ones on the Loewe. :)

Cheers!

amyf.

Has anyone seen any of the Xbox models in Melbourne recently? Couldn't find one at the Bridge Rd store that someone mentioned previously.

From my little sortie today it appears they're all gorn... they checked the computer for me and the only store coming up with any had sold them by that time.

Cheers!

amyf.

Apologies for singlehandedly virtually hijacking a thread, however I was just wondering if any kind DTVers may please have a scan of the ad from the Hun with the Xbox Harmony remote at $49 they could pop up here or send me?

Seems if so then maybe some price matching may be possible...? :)

Cheers!

amyf.

(Apologies, edits have been due to my near-complete inability to type properly this evening.)

Edited by amyf

From my little sortie today it appears they're all gorn... they checked the computer for me and the only store coming up with any had sold them by that time.

Cheers!

amyf.

Looks like I'll have to give up on getting one at $49. I went to three stores today and none of them had them. They also checked the computer for me to see what stores had them, but couldn't even find the product on the system.

Looks like I'll have to give up on getting one at $49.

Not if somebody here is kind enough to pop up/PM a scan/photo of the Officeworks ad from 27/12, page 6 of the Herald Sun (I believe).

(Subtle ain't I? ;))

In theory stores who claim to price match advertised prices will have to do so... It's certainly worth a try.

Cheers!

amyf.

ha - i had bought the xbox version, and returned it to keep the 525 (which cost more money, but does less - only because it looked better and the blue backlight matches the blue lighting on my receiver/dvd player!). i saw the 555 version at harvey norman yesterday too - for $150.

anyway, overall i'm very happy with the 525 - but am a bit annoyed at the setup issues. my tv (panasonic 50px70a) is in the database, but the remote seems to think it's another panasonic tv (with picture-in-picture functions etc). has been a bugger to try to get the inputs on the tv working (eg the remote doesn't seem to map the buttons to swtich from tv to dvd etc - and had to do all this manually - eg if i pressed "watch tv", the tv wouldn't switch to the tv setting if i'd previously been watching a dvd...).

there are quite a few bugs to sort out with this thing - lots of tinkering is needed...

I'm getting better results with each tweak, but I'm having an issue I'm not confident I can resolve.

I have a Yamaha AV Receiver (RX-V540). On the remote, the numbers 1-9 correlate to different surround/DSP modes. When watching a DVD, I always select the Dolby/dts auto mode, but when watching TV, we tend to switch between a few of the different modes depending on what we're watching.

Some of the DSP modes contain sub-choices that you cycle through, eg "TV/Theatre" gives you "Variety/Sports", "Mono Movie", etc.

What I want to be able to do is have the "Watch TV" activity always default the surround mode to "Variety/Sports". I've told it to always hit the "TV/Theatre" mode, but that results in it cycling to the next sub-choice everytime we use the activity.

Does anyone know of a direct way to select which surround mode you want to use?

I'm getting better results with each tweak, but I'm having an issue I'm not confident I can resolve.

I have a Yamaha AV Receiver (RX-V540). On the remote, the numbers 1-9 correlate to different surround/DSP modes. When watching a DVD, I always select the Dolby/dts auto mode, but when watching TV, we tend to switch between a few of the different modes depending on what we're watching.

Some of the DSP modes contain sub-choices that you cycle through, eg "TV/Theatre" gives you "Variety/Sports", "Mono Movie", etc.

What I want to be able to do is have the "Watch TV" activity always default the surround mode to "Variety/Sports". I've told it to always hit the "TV/Theatre" mode, but that results in it cycling to the next sub-choice everytime we use the activity.

i don't have the same receiver, but i've just made the harmony remote learn the same button as the receiver's remote (which it sounds like you've also done).

i had a similar problem with the tv's inputs - i struggled to get it to the tv input when pressing "watch tv" - and tried to get it to hit that button - and, depending on what the last source was, it would then just cycle through the inputs. very annoying.

the remote was able to match the inputs for the tv - which needed some tinkering - but worked for the inputs only. not sure if you can do the same for surround modes. you might just need to hit 2 buttons instead of 1 (ie make the tv/theatre button one of the buttons that appears on the screen...)

Looks like I'll have to give up on getting one at $49. I went to three stores today and none of them had them. They also checked the computer for me to see what stores had them, but couldn't even find the product on the system.

I did the ring around today. Apparently they still have one xbox version at the Clayton store for $70.

overall i'm very happy with the 525 - but am a bit annoyed at the setup issues. my tv (panasonic 50px70a) is in the database, but the remote seems to think it's another panasonic tv (with picture-in-picture functions etc). has been a bugger to try to get the inputs on the tv working (eg the remote doesn't seem to map the buttons to swtich from tv to dvd etc - and had to do all this manually - eg if i pressed "watch tv", the tv wouldn't switch to the tv setting if i'd previously been watching a dvd...).

The Harmony DB lists commands for all similar devices in my experience - ie I have an older Pioneer AVR which when I loaded it up on my Harmony had a whole bunch of extra commands that are not available on my AVR. I believe they would use the same DB for all Panasonic PX7XX TVs, so you may have commands for the higher spec models eg PiP, which isn't available on your TV. Test all the commands, and if they do nothing, then either delete them or 'learn' them. Alternately, try another model number eg PZ7XX orPX6XX. The older PV60 didn't have a discrete code for the HDMI input, but the newer PX600 Database did, so many users upgraded their setup to utilise thes codes which were still compatible with their older TVs.

I also had to remap my inoputs on my Panasonic PX600. Now, no issues regarding input selection.

If your original remote could select directly to the sourround modes then use the learning function to teach the correct commands to the Harmony.

The other option is to change the setup for that activity so that you add more commands associated with that activity eg

- turn on TV

- turn on Yamaha AVR

- select TV/Theatre mode (you may have to repeat this or add the other modes you need to cycle through to get to the right one)

Upon exiting from that activity, then add some more commands, so that you go back to a common setting (like a reference point) on your AVR so that when you start it up again, it always starts at the same point on the DSP modes and will always cycle the right amount of times.

Another example would be if you had a cycle method for choosing inputs on a TV. Whenever you leave an activity (eg watch TV, Watch DVD, Play Game etc) you send the command(s) so that the TV is always set to the TV input. This is then the reference point for any other activity to select inputs.

I did the ring around today. Apparently they still have one xbox version at the Clayton store for $70.

I did thye ring around in Sydney today - looking to snap one up for my brother's birthday. West Ryde OW had 6 in stock, but the special is over and they are back up to $69.95

Not if somebody here is kind enough to pop up/PM a scan/photo of the Officeworks ad from 27/12, page 6 of the Herald Sun (I believe).

(Subtle ain't I? ;))

In theory stores who claim to price match advertised prices will have to do so... It's certainly worth a try.

I'm off to the local library tomorrow to grab a copy of the ad for that exact reason. I'll try and work out how to get it posted here (may just need to get my post count up?)

here's an easier question - the pictures on the logitech website of the 525 remote have a thicker font text on the blue screen (which looks easier to read), whereas my 525 remote has quite "thin" writing, which isn't very easy to read.

is there any way to change the font on the remote?

or are the pictures false/old??

also, my laptop comes with 2 remotes - one for the laptop itself, and another for the external tv tuner. i can't seem to get the remote to recognise the laptop as 2 separate devices - it always changes it to a media centre pc, even if i try to make one a pvr. is it possible to have 2 different remote functions for the 1 device?

...is then the reference point for any other activity to select inputs.

Good idea -thanks! I already do this with the mute button on the TV (we never use the TV speakers) so it should be fairly straight-forward to do the same with the AV receiver.

One more thing, can anyone tell me whether there is a way to select AV channels on a Loewe Xelos 5381ZW without using the silly method of hitting '0' then cycling through the options? A Logitech support guy set it up for me so that it works, but it would be much simpler to have a direct input code that selected the exact AV channel you want.

Oh, and I discovered another issue. I have 2 DVD players, A Loewe Xemix 5106DD and a Yamaha S657B. The Loewe is what I use for "Watch DVD" and the Yamaha is what I use for "High-Res Audio". Problem is, when I press "Watch TV" after watching a DVD, it turns the Loewe off, but turns the Yamaha DVD player ON. I'm confused. Thing to note is, the original Loewe remote turns on the Yamaha DVD player. Freaky.

Cheers.

Edited by JillyBoel

One more thing, can anyone tell me whether there is a way to select AV channels on a Loewe Xelos 5381ZW without using the silly method of hitting '0' then cycling through the options? A Logitech support guy set it up for me so that it works, but it would be much simpler to have a direct input code that selected the exact AV channel you want.

This is similar to the Sammy TVs I think. Logitech altered the setup procedure to account for this. Direct inputs if not available from your original remote are sometimes created by Logitech (known as discrete codes) but if the original remote canm't do direct inputs, then the Harmony won't unless as stated the Logitech guys get the discrete codes.

Oh, and I discovered another issue. I have 2 DVD players, A Loewe Xemix 5106DD and a Yamaha S657B. The Loewe is what I use for "Watch DVD" and the Yamaha is what I use for "High-Res Audio". Problem is, when I press "Watch TV" after watching a DVD, it turns the Loewe off, but turns the Yamaha DVD player ON. I'm confused. Thing to note is, the original Loewe remote turns on the Yamaha DVD player. Freaky.

Looks like the Loewe and yamaha must use the same codes for 'on', 'off'. Not much you can do about it when two devices share the same codes. What if on exiting the watch DVD activity, you send a code for the yamaha to turn off? Not sure if this can even be done but worth a try.

here's an easier question - the pictures on the logitech website of the 525 remote have a thicker font text on the blue screen (which looks easier to read), whereas my 525 remote has quite "thin" writing, which isn't very easy to read.

The "press" images of the remote are misleading, they both have the thin **** looking text on their display.

I am looking for one remote to use with my a/v gear - Pana Plasma, Dgtec PVR, Pana DVD, MCE Vista PC, Samsung VHS, Onkyo receiver and PS/3.

Don't want to spend huge $ on a remote but I do want to be able to use one remote and put ALL the others away in a draw.

What's the best option:

- Logitech Harmony 525 - $99 from DSE

- Logitech Harmony Xbox - $49 from Officeworks

Or should I consider something else?

I am looking for one remote to use with my a/v gear - Pana Plasma, Dgtec PVR, Pana DVD, MCE Vista PC, Samsung VHS, Onkyo receiver and PS/3.

What's the best option:

- Logitech Harmony 525 - $99 from DSE

- Logitech Harmony Xbox - $49 from Officeworks

Both the harmony 360 and 525 are almost identical in their functionality. If you can get the 360 for $49 then grab it, it's a steal at that price, but when I rang around yesterday, I was adviosed the sale was over and they are back up to $69 (still a bargain!)

Either should control all your gear except for the PS3. That uses Bluetooth technology not IR. Unless you have an old PS2 remote and adaptor lying around, no can do. Hopefully logitech is working on a USB reciveer for the PS3?

Price applies in Adelaide as well

I passed by an Officeworks store the same day as I made my post, I dropped in and proceeded straight to the electronics section and found where the remote *should* be but wasn't. I asked one of the staff (who seemed very knowledgeable, I might add) about the remote and he jokingly replied "I hope you don't want to buy one!", it seems they were cleared out rather quickly. Bugger, I missed a good deal!

Anyone have a current source of cheap Harmony 525's? I didn't have the spare cash when they were on special and now that I do, I can't find one under $100.00 anywhere.

officeworks have them back at normal price - $59.95

bdl