Harmony Remote Control Owners & Discussion Thread

Just a note for those that might have a Harmony and a BeyonWiz HD PVR. I have a 525. The letters 'Q' and 'Z' on the number keypad are mapped to the '1' key (as per the original BW remote) but are printed on the '7' and '9' keys respectively on the Harmony remote.

Keep this in mind when using the keypad on the Harmony to create/change recorded file names on the BW.

According to an advertisement in today's Herald Sun (page 6), the Harmony 360 remote is now $49.95 at Officeworks :o

I'm yet to venture into the world of these gadgets, but for fifty bucks I think it's time to give it a try.

Yes that's what I saw it for the other day.

Careful on these remotes, the buttons are so bloody spongy with no feedback. Everytime you press something the whole remote unit squeaks from plastic under tension. They work well enough but the build quality, imo, is not so great.

Careful on these remotes, the buttons are so bloody spongy with no feedback. Everytime you press something the whole remote unit squeaks from plastic under tension. They work well enough but the build quality, imo, is not so great.

Is that in particular reference to the 360 version, or does it also apply to the 525?

I'm keen to give it a go for $50 and return it if it's not up to scratch.

I'm hoping to have the following activities set up:

1. Switch on Yamaha Receiver, go to Cable/TV input | Switch on Toppy MP | Switch on Loewe CRT, go to Scart/RGB input, mute volume | Control Toppy channels/receiver volume

2. Switch on Yamaha Receiver, go to 6CH input | Switch on Yamaha DVD player | Control DVD playback/receiver volume

3. Switch on Yamaha Receiver, go to DVD input | Switch on Loewe DVD player | Switch on Loewe TV, go to DVD input, mute volume | Control DVD playback/receiver volume

Is that the sort of thing these remotes can do?

According to an advertisement in today's Herald Sun (page 6), the Harmony 360 remote is now $49.95 at Officeworks :o

I'm yet to venture into the world of these gadgets, but for fifty bucks I think it's time to give it a try.

Dammit i just bought it for $69, i thought that was cheap lol!

Im having a problem getting my sony tv to switch to the right video input.

It has

- Video 1

- Video 2

- Video 3

- HD/DVD1

- HD/DVD2

- Pc

For watching Tv i use HD/DVD1 and for watching dvd's HD/DVD2, both which are component. I tried setting it so that it uses video 4 and 5 respectively but it doesnt work. Does anyone know which input i need to use?

Is that in particular reference to the 360 version, or does it also apply to the 525?

I'm hoping to have the following activities set up:

1. Switch on Yamaha Receiver, go to Cable/TV input | Switch on Toppy MP | Switch on Loewe CRT, go to Scart/RGB input, mute volume | Control Toppy channels/receiver volume

2. Switch on Yamaha Receiver, go to 6CH input | Switch on Yamaha DVD player | Control DVD playback/receiver volume

3. Switch on Yamaha Receiver, go to DVD input | Switch on Loewe DVD player | Switch on Loewe TV, go to DVD input, mute volume | Control DVD playback/receiver volume

Is that the sort of thing these remotes can do?

Yeah, the build quality on the 525/360 models is a little cheap, but I am used to it and happy to overlook it for the convienience and ease of use it provides. The WAF is high and now even my 5yo kids can operate all the AV gear to watch a DVD or play the PS2 without any intervention.

The activities you wish to carry out should be able to be done by the Harmony's with ease.

It has

- Video 1

- Video 2

- Video 3

- HD/DVD1

- HD/DVD2

- Pc

For watching Tv i use HD/DVD1 and for watching dvd's HD/DVD2, both which are component. I tried setting it so that it uses video 4 and 5 respectively but it doesnt work. Does anyone know which input i need to use?

Redo the initial setup for your TV and 'map' the AV inputs with the right commands. You might find that at the moment, video 4 & 5 aren't mapped to control the HD/DVD inputs. If all else fails you can 'learn' the commands from the original remote, but I hazard a guess that being a Sony product, the commands should be in the database.

Guest Michael L

It has

- Video 1

- Video 2

- Video 3

- HD/DVD1

- HD/DVD2

- Pc

Funny thing, I had the same problem setting up mine yesterday. What model is your TV? I have the KDL-32V3100 and it wasn't in the Harmony database (to my surprise) so the program recommended another similar model the KDL-32D3100.

Initially, I didn't select the alternative model and proceeded to follow the setup for my model using my remote to learn some of the commands. However, this didn't work. Frustrated, I decided to just select the recommended model and then the video inputs worked like a charm.

Looking at the settings for my remote in the Harmony software, it looks like the HD/DVD1 and HD/DVD2 map to the Component1 and Component2 inputs. Maybe you have something similar for your TV? There's also two inputs called YC2 and YC3 which I'm not sure what they represent.

Hope that helps ease some of the frustration I had.

Update:

After a frustrating night of trying to get my new Harmony Xbox 360 remote to behave, I ended up on the phone to the Logitech support line.

Basically, the techie had to create a new set of commands for my Loewe Xelos 5381 CRT so I could select the AV input. This really surprised me, as I would have thought there would already be a set of commands in their database for such a popular model.

I was also surprised that my Topfield Masterpiece had to be configured manually using the IR Learning for EVERY FUNCTION. Power On/Off, Channel Up/Down, Record, Archive, etc.

Now, I do wonder whether the model numbers I entered for my devices were accurate, but there didn't seem to be any kind of "Did you mean x" validation, it just took my model numbers as gospel, and I didn't get to see a list of possible matches.

Having said all that, I think it's going to work out well, and I must commend the Harmony support line on their persistence in helping to sort out my issues. No doubt I'll be calling them some more over the weekend :)

Edited by JillyBoel

Do these things ever go into sleep mode? ive never seen it in sleep mode even after leaving it overnight and im worried that its needlessly draining the batteries.

Or does it somehow sense my presence and know that Master has arrrived?

update: lol just came back from some shopping and it was off. Maybe someones been watching tv in the mornings before i wake.

Edited by Leonidas

Funny thing, I had the same problem setting up mine yesterday. What model is your TV? I have the KDL-32V3100 and it wasn't in the Harmony database (to my surprise) so the program recommended another similar model the KDL-32D3100.

Initially, I didn't select the alternative model and proceeded to follow the setup for my model using my remote to learn some of the commands. However, this didn't work. Frustrated, I decided to just select the recommended model and then the video inputs worked like a charm.

Looking at the settings for my remote in the Harmony software, it looks like the HD/DVD1 and HD/DVD2 map to the Component1 and Component2 inputs. Maybe you have something similar for your TV? There's also two inputs called YC2 and YC3 which I'm not sure what they represent.

Hope that helps ease some of the frustration I had.

My model is KLV-S32A10 and its in the harmony database. It doesntt give me Component 1 and 2 or YC1 etc, just video 1,2,3...

Redo the initial setup for your TV and 'map' the AV inputs with the right commands. You might find that at the moment, video 4 & 5 aren't mapped to control the HD/DVD inputs. If all else fails you can 'learn' the commands from the original remote, but I hazard a guess that being a Sony product, the commands should be in the database.

What do you mean by map the AV inputs? The sony remote has a cycle button for inputs and the wega gate menu where u can navigate and select the inputs.

Even though I have a Philips Pronto, I bought one of these for the missus for the living room. have set it up as much as I can in work today, will give it a test drive tonight. Its a shame you cant configure your setup without having the remote (as I wanted to do this last night).

On the whole pretty impressed with this, especially when you consider the savings.

I was also surprised that my Topfield Masterpiece had to be configured manually using the IR Learning for EVERY FUNCTION. Power On/Off, Channel Up/Down, Record, Archive, etc.

The Masterpiece is definitely in the database..I use it in my setup.

If you can't find an exact match for your device, you can select "Confirm IR commands" from the device options. This will ask you to press a few buttons on your factory remote, and attempt to match a device profile in the database from these commands.

My model is KLV-S32A10 and its in the harmony database. It doesntt give me Component 1 and 2 or YC1 etc, just video 1,2,3...

What do you mean by map the AV inputs? The sony remote has a cycle button for inputs and the wega gate menu where u can navigate and select the inputs.

Go to "More options" for the TV device, then select "Adjust Inputs". You can change the names of the inputs to match what your TV actually has.

Before you do this, select Device mode for the TV and try all the "Input..." commands listed, and note which inputs they go to. If you find commands that go directly to each input, select this method in the "Adjust inputs" setup (It says something like "A button for each input"). Assign the commands for each input that you found in device mode.

Even though I have a Philips Pronto, I bought one of these for the missus for the living room. have set it up as much as I can in work today, will give it a test drive tonight. Its a shame you cant configure your setup without having the remote (as I wanted to do this last night).

On the whole pretty impressed with this, especially when you consider the savings.

You can configure the setup without having the remote connected. I do it at work all the time. Use the web based setup at http://members.harmonyremote.com if you don't have the software installed on the remote computer. When you get home, just log in and select "Update remote".

You can configure the setup without having the remote connected. I do it at work all the time. Use the web based setup at http://members.harmonyremote.com if you don't have the software installed on the remote computer. When you get home, just log in and select "Update remote".

One of the best parts of the Harmony software. BTW czzer, Foxtail ahs posted a question on the PVR/DVD subforum regarding an issue with getting his PC to recognise the Harmony 1000. Any suggestions?

One of the best parts of the Harmony software. BTW czzer, Foxtail ahs posted a question on the PVR/DVD subforum regarding an issue with getting his PC to recognise the Harmony 1000. Any suggestions?

I replied over there, but not with anything useful unfortunately...I've never personally had any problems with connecting to the remote..

Just got a 525 myself from OW b4 Chrissy and must say i am loving it! :D

Sure as has been mentioned the build quality isn't its greatest feature and sometimes the buttons can be a little sticky/unresponsive...but this thing is UNDER$100 baby! And if the XBOX version is half that it really is bargain of the century.

Initial setup was quick and pain-free and worked sooo much better than my old Sunwave 'puniversal' that it has now replaced.

A further late night customising session got it near perfect in 10minutes flat and i reckon 1 more session will nail it perfectly...until of course i upgrade something (whch is always inevitable) - but even then the PC interface is really user friendly and makes it all a cinch!

I truly cannot believe how powerful AND simple these are both in terms of setting up and in day to day use. And all for the price of roughly 2 cartons of beer!

Anyway - it's true they aren't perfect but they have to be the single greatest value for money, bang for your buck upgrade to a HT system and they look much 'higher end' than they are as well as making it easy for even my mum to come over and get the HT to do just what she wants... which has previously always been impossible.

Edited by yamapro

I truly cannot believe how powerful AND simple these are both in terms of setting up and in day to day use. And all for the price of roughly 2 cartons of beer!

Lucky I didnt think of it in those terms or I probably would have bought the beer :blush:

Totally agree though, a brilliant device, initial setup quite easy then some fine tuning to get specific functions into required activities.

High waf as well. ;)