Harmony Remote Control Owners & Discussion Thread

i was thinking that this would be a great present for my parents....given how annoyingly proprietary the bose lifestyle systems are, does anyone know if these remotes will be compatible with the bose systems? (oh and believe me, i lobbied against the bose system, but in the end, i just gave up...why believe your son :rolleyes: )

Just did a quick check online and they list Bose as a manufacturer they support. Even if they don't have all the codes, the Harmony's have a learning port whereby you point the original remote towards the Harmony, press the required command on the original and it will transfer to the Harmony. Hasn't failed me yet! B)

Just did a quick check online and they list Bose as a manufacturer they support. Even if they don't have all the codes, the Harmony's have a learning port whereby you point the original remote towards the Harmony, press the required command on the original and it will transfer to the Harmony. Hasn't failed me yet! B)

thanks!

I have probably a silly question.........the minister for finance has done something to the 525 and it is now displaying "Safe Mode" and I can't get it to do anything. I tried looking up the online help/FAQ's etc and couldn't find anything on this. Could it perhaps mean the batteries are getting low? If not, how do I resolve the problem??

i was thinking that this would be a great present for my parents....given how annoyingly proprietary the bose lifestyle systems are, does anyone know if these remotes will be compatible with the bose systems? (oh and believe me, i lobbied against the bose system, but in the end, i just gave up...why believe your son :rolleyes: )

It depends what model bose it is. Some of them are RF only, in which case you won't be able to control it with any universal remote. Have a look at the manual to see if it can be set up for IR operation. If it can then the Harmony can control it.

I have probably a silly question.........the minister for finance has done something to the 525 and it is now displaying "Safe Mode" and I can't get it to do anything. I tried looking up the online help/FAQ's etc and couldn't find anything on this. Could it perhaps mean the batteries are getting low? If not, how do I resolve the problem??

See this post from remotecentral.com

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboar...0safe%20mode%60

Just picked up a harmony xbox 360 remote today from officeworks for $69.95, awesome price. I couldnt jusitfy the extra $30 for the 525 even though it had an additional year of warranty and the fact that i dont have an xbox.

Its a christmas present for the parents so hopefully theyll like it. Im so sick of guiding my mum through the whole power on sequence of mulitple devices with mulitple remotes, this will save me a lot of hassle. Win Win for everyone!

I had the same problem when I went away on holidays and the batteries ran down whilst I was away. It cayused me enough angst to post a topic on it to try and help future owners

Harmony 525 - 'safe Mode", How to unlock

Just picked up a harmony xbox 360 remote today from officeworks for $69.95, awesome price. I couldnt jusitfy the extra $30 for the 525 even though it had an additional year of warranty and the fact that i dont have an xbox.

Its a christmas present for the parents so hopefully theyll like it. Im so sick of guiding my mum through the whole power on sequence of mulitple devices with mulitple remotes, this will save me a lot of hassle. Win Win for everyone!

is the xbox version exactly the same as the 525?? what are the differences between the 2? (there's nothing on the logitech website about the xbox version...)

Thanks diesel for the advice on "Safe Mode" - it worked a treat and saved me a lot of bother. You would think that they would include this in their troubleshooting section of FAQ's. If it's there, I couldn't find it!

While I am asking questions....I have a Sony Bravia 46 X series LCD. On the Sony remote there's a button marked i+, I think it's called i-Plate. It gives you information about the video quality, sound, and basic programme information about the current programme and, if you press a second time, the same information for the next programme on that channel. Is there an easy way for me to incorporate this button into the Harmony when I am in "Watch TV" activity mode?

On the Sony remote there's a button marked i+, I think it's called i-Plate. It gives you information about the video quality, sound, and basic programme information about the current programme and, if you press a second time, the same information for the next programme on that channel. Is there an easy way for me to incorporate this button into the Harmony when I am in "Watch TV" activity mode?

Essentially all Harmony remotes can mirror any command from another remote particularly into the LCD buttons where an appropriate LCD label can be added. In the unlikely event Logitech's database can't provide the i-Plate button's code, then you can also resort to learning mode and record it yourself. It can be displayed in the Activities department or in the Device section, and also added to any number of Activity screens if you think it's a really handy function.

is the xbox version exactly the same as the 525?? what are the differences between the 2? (there's nothing on the logitech website about the xbox version...)

As far as i can tell from reading forums here and elsewhere they are pretty much identical. Besides the obvious difference in appearance and backlight colour they have the same features. 360 button layout is slightly differenent and if i counted correctly it has a few extra buttons for xbox which can be reprogrammed however. 525 has 2 year warranty while 360 version has 1.

If u can get the 360 version from officeworks for $69.95 then id recommend that. I havent had a play around with it nor have i tried the 525 version so i wouldnt know for sure.

Also when i came to office works in sydney cbd (clarence st) yesterday morning they had one left on the shelf. I went around the city to see if i could find a better price but when i came back it was gone and the price tag was taken off. I asked the staff and they had 4 left in lock up so i got mine. I think officeworks may be taking them off the shelves so get in quick because its by far the best price, and just ask if u dont see it on the shelf.

Edited by Leonidas

As far as i can tell from reading forums here and elsewhere they are pretty much identical. Besides the obvious difference in appearance and backlight colour they have the same features. 360 button layout is slightly differenent and if i counted correctly it has a few extra buttons for xbox which can be reprogrammed however. 525 has 2 year warranty while 360 version has 1.

If u can get the 360 version from officeworks for $69.95 then id recommend that. I havent had a play around with it nor have i tried the 525 version so i wouldnt know for sure.

Also when i came to office works in sydney cbd (clarence st) yesterday morning they had one left on the shelf. I went around the city to see if i could find a better price but when i came back it was gone and the price tag was taken off. I asked the staff and they had 4 left in lock up so i got mine. I think officeworks may be taking them off the shelves so get in quick because its by far the best price, and just ask if u dont see it on the shelf.

thanks - i've just been back to officeworks and picked up the xbox version. you're right - it has 2 extra buttons, looks slightly different - and the good thing is that it doesn't have any real obvious marks on the remote itself saying it's an xbox version (ie no xbox logo!).

spoke to a guy there who said that they're exactly the same - logitech have stopped making the xbox version which is why it's cheaper and they're trying to get rid of them (even though it's not on sale, whereas the 525 is!). he also said that he thought the 525 can't control an xbox, so in that regard the xbox version is better (in addition to having the 2 extra buttons).

so now i have both - and will return the 525 if the xbox version turns out to be crap (which, based on your experience, shouldn't be the case).

sorry - one additional question - i don't actually have an xbox, so can you reprogram the remote so that it removes the "play xbox" function? or is that hardset into the remote, so that i can really only use 3 other products (with the 525, you're free to use all 4 for whatever you want)?

sorry - one additional question - i don't actually have an xbox, so can you reprogram the remote so that it removes the "play xbox" function? or is that hardset into the remote, so that i can really only use 3 other products (with the 525, you're free to use all 4 for whatever you want)?

You can set up the remote with whatever activities you want..up to 255...you aren't limited to 3 or 4.

btw, the 525 (and every other Harmony) can control an Xbox...as usual salesmen don't know a great deal.

You can set up the remote with whatever activities you want..up to 255...you aren't limited to 3 or 4.

btw, the 525 (and every other Harmony) can control an Xbox...as usual salesmen don't know a great deal.

so i can definitely change the 4 that are displayed on the lcd screen (ie the "play xbox" can be removed and replaced?)?

if the xbox version has 2 extra buttons and everything else is the same (other than the colour), why is it a discontinued model?!

Maybe a marketing decision whereby Logitech didn't want to pay royalties anymore. Same thing happened with my Playstation wireless controllers for the PS2. I bought the old 'runout' model which had the O X Triangle, Square buttons labelled as such. The new Logitech model didnt have those symbols, just the relevant colours eg green, red etc and also didn't have the PS logo.

so i can definitely change the 4 that are displayed on the lcd screen (ie the "play xbox" can be removed and replaced?)?

You can label/edit/delete whatever you like onto the LCD and do the same to entire activity sequences that those LCD labels apply to. So you effectively have a blank slate despite the name/adverts suggesting it's an XBox-only remote. The extra buttons and layout makes it a little nicer to use one-handed. I don't have an XBox, but I would have preferred the XBox version to the 525 I ended up with - didn't get a choice.