Sign in to follow this  
SenojNW

Th42px600a Owners! Anyone Passed The "purple Snake" Test?

I guess the question now is whether all Pana 42 inch sets have the snake, whether it is limited to particular batches or whether it is just hit and miss. It sounds like a hardware issue so it seems a bit odd that some would have it and others wouldn't unless there has been a change in the hardware specs.

Can anyone definitively say their set doesn't have the problem?

so your set was fixed? or is it a complete new one? do you know what the cause of the problem was?

No I had the set replaced and took another one home with the exact same problem so I got my money back. I used Pirates of the Carribean as my test disc, the raid on the governors home at the start showed the fault well.

OK - getting my set on Wednesday next week - will be explaining to the sales guy that I plan to check for this straight away and return if there is a prob - will point him to these threads too.

In the meantime can everyone who owns one run and post the "snake test" images? - even if you run them and find no snakes please post so we get some indication of "snake" to "no snake" ratios...

is this purple snake the reason why the PV60A & PX600A's are going for sooo cheap??, i've not yet noticed it on my set yet, i've had it for 2 weeks with all the setting set at about 40-50%.

my build date is Oct 2006, made in Japan.

i haven't tested it with any of the above mentioned movies yet, but probably will check it this weekend. if it only happens in certain circumstances (extremely dark or extremely light scenes etc)then i can live with it, but if it happens on everything, then i'm going take it back for a refund and get the Hitachi, which was my second choice!!!

I was aware of the issue but had not seen it on my PV60A. Last night I explicitly looked for it in Harry Potter at 5min10sec and saw it. I had previously watched this movie and did not notice it - in fact last night, after I saw it and after pausing it, I then watched the scene again and hardly noticed it, as it is only on screen for a very short time period.

I did not notice the snake on anything else we watched last night either.

Guest spoleweski
A couple of good links for a DVD test reel so we can standardise the test for these sets... It shows the snakes well based on what I've seen on the UK site... Can we run and post some pics on various settings?

http://www.4shared.com/file/8670152/eec5b1...esnaketest.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/8718626/220efb...aketest_v2.html

Are we meant to be seeing snakes around which area? the contours of the circles?

Yep - you will get purple rings...

Take a look in here for some examples of what the test pattern looks like with snakes;

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread....ighlight=snakes

I tested my panel (42pv60a. Bought in end of Nov. Made in Japan) with the Harry Potter scene. I would say there is none (or almost none) on mine. Hardly visible if there is a very very little sign. Definitely not as obvious as the pictures shown in the thread.

Viewing the scene and the pictures reminds of the "microblocking" issue of some dvd players (EG my Panasonic s97) which has been heavily discussed in other threads. Basically you would see some pink tint/digital noise in some dark scenes. The best place to check this is the "Superman Return" DVD where the pink tint was all over every dark scenes on my TV (I suggest you watch the whole movie then single out all the dark scenes). EG Starting from Chapter 20. Around 1:10:58. The superman and the girl flying on the sky. Plenty of dark/gray clouds on the sky. I used to get very obvious pink tint on the clouds. After reading a thread for s-97, I applied the lastest firmware 366. The pink tint are all gone. So I always thought this is more of a problem for the DVD player than the TV panel.

My theory is that it is a result of inaccurate digital signal processing (or you can call a bug) which can be fixed by applying correct fix (better algorithm). Some TV panels have worse built-in processing engine than others and are prone to have the issue. The fix can be done on your DVD player (by applying firmware). I am not aware if you can apply firmware on the TV panel. But I am sure once manufacturers are aware of the issue, they will fix in the next batch. So whether or not you will have the problem really depends on the combination of your particular DVD player and your TV panel.

I.E if your TV has better/improved built-in digital process (EG 50" panasonic as claimed in the thread or the problematic 42" applied with latest fix from manufacturer) , you are less likely to see the pink tint/snake on your TV regardless of what DVD players you use. Or if your dvd players have better digital process (Some high-end model like pioneer 989 or panasonic S-97 with lastest firmware applied for example), you are also less likely to see the pink tint/snake on your TV regardless of the quality of the TV built-in digital processing engine.

Both scenarios I believe it would be difficult to claim hardware faults on the TV panel.

Guest spoleweski

i just looked at my set (got it this morning) watched the snake test dvd and its all green, green i tell you! not one purple snake. its awesome! i got mine from DJ's castle hill

I used Pirates of the Carribean as my test disc, the raid on the governors home at the start showed the fault well.

Just watched this again and saw no sign of the purple snake.

However, I am still using the running in settings and my just be missing it...... :blink:

(Nov build X600A)

Just watched this again and saw no sign of the purple snake.

However, I am still using the running in settings and my just be missing it...... :blink:

(Nov build X600A)

can you post the time, chapter etc for these scene from pirates

I'm a bit confused why people are calling this the 'purple snake' problem. From what I can see it's just a case of False Contouring/Color Banding from insufficient color depth. Same thing you can see on PC games for example if you run them with high level texture compression in 16-bit color depth (tends towards visible purplish patches).

Note that I have the previous gen 42" PV500A and have never had this problem, although I wonder if you guys have the 'HD Color Matrix' setting available to you (and enabled) in your display settings? I found this helps reduce any potential color banding.

If the guys at the AVS forums report it though, it sounds like a problem with the digital processor and not something straightforward.

i just looked at my set (got it this morning) watched the snake test dvd and its all green, green i tell you! not one purple snake. its awesome! i got mine from DJ's castle hill

Spoleweski - Great News!

Can you post the location and date yours was manufactured?

Guest spoleweski
Spoleweski - Great News!

Can you post the location and date yours was manufactured?

It says Nov 06 Made in Japan

It says Nov 06 Made in Japan

Hello had my TH-42pv60a for one week & ran snake test this morning ,No snakes same as my crt moniter. build date sep06 made in china :blink:

Edited by uhf 2

Hello had my TH-42pv60a for one week & ran snake test this morning ,No snakes same as my ctr moniter. build date sep06 made in china :blink:

Mine is also fine. Made in Japan May 06. So calm down SenojNW...

Why would mine be made in china and all others that I have seen on this thead made in japan ? is there any diffence ?

Edited by uhf 2

Mine is also fine. Made in Japan May 06. So calm down SenojNW...

:blink: I'll calm down when my set arrives on Wednesday and I run the test and it comes out all green...

Seriously - it is looking promising as far as the Aussie sets go...

:blink: I'll calm down when my set arrives on Wednesday and I run the test and it comes out all green...

Seriously - it is looking promising as far as the Aussie sets go...

It will be interesting to know what date & what country your set is made

watched flight plan 3 times on friday night trying to find the damn snakes, not a single bite...like i said before, i am still in the breakin period so all the settings are minimal..

just hope they dont come up all of a sudden after X hours of use!!!!...

again, mine is made in Japan, build month is october 2006