Sign in to follow this  
SenojNW

Th42px600a Owners! Anyone Passed The "purple Snake" Test?

Not sure if this is the same problem, but when I'm watching a HD DVD, for instance Beowulf tonight, the letterbox borders go berserk. They change from dark black to light to dark and so on. This is pissing me off, as it has done this since I owned it, and no change of picture mode will fix it.

Anyone got or has had the same problem?

Jayson

Well after having my set serviced to get rid of the snakes in January this year, about 2 weeks ago my panel decided to only display half a picture.

The service agents tell me its a panel failure and to get a new glass panel from Panasonic is $2000 dollars. You can buy a 42PX70A for $1400.

My set was not quite 3 months out of warranty, so I approached Panasonic to see what they could do. They do have a policy of pro rata cost on panel failure.

Their first offer was $1199 for a 70a, which I thought was a not much of an effort on their behalf, so they have come back with a final offer of $995.

I still dont feel that they are giving me a reasonable offer, my 42PV60A had only 1800 hours when it failed.

My message to anyone thinking of buying a Plasma is make sure you get the extended warranty. I'm thinking of not bothering and getting an LCD instead

for about 650 more than what they want me to pay I can get a 40" Samsung M81 which is Full HD and comes with a 3 year warranty.

I have a Sony 32" that would be at least 18months old and hasn't missed a beat, so I feel I could trust LCD more than Plasma based on my experience so far.

Any thoughts anyone?

Edited by Imolator

I have a Sony 32" that would be at least 18months old and hasn't missed a beat, so I feel I could trust LCD more than Plasma based on my experience so far.

Any thoughts anyone?

Definitely go with LCD. Plasmas are crap (with the exception of perhaps Pioneer). Where else do you have a tv that dictates you when and how long to watch a program to prevent burn-in?

LCDs have been around for a long time whereas plasmas have only been mass produced in around 2000. In my dept of 50 people at work there has never been a broken LCDs in 5 years.

Definitely go with LCD. Plasmas are crap (with the exception of perhaps Pioneer). Where else do you have a tv that dictates you when and how long to watch a program to prevent burn-in?

LCDs have been around for a long time whereas plasmas have only been mass produced in around 2000. In my dept of 50 people at work there has never been a broken LCDs in 5 years.

Thanks for the input, I went out and purchased a 40" Samsung M81 full hd panel hopefully I'll have better luck this time.

I have made a claim for my plasma, I paid for it on my visa card and that card gives me an extra 12 months warranty.

So am going to fill out a claim form which is being sent to me so it looks like I wont be out of pocket after all, after the brief conversation

I had with the insurance company rep he stated that if the panel is deemed unrepairable then I will get what I paid for it back.

So fingers crossed.

Well I finally bit the bullet and got my D-board replaced, under extended warrenty via HN.

The repair guy came out to check the problem about three weeks ago, had to order the part, and returned to replace the d-board onsite at my house yesterday. At first he wanted to take the TV with him to repair, but I insisted that it be done at home, which didn't fuss him much as panasonics can be repaired whilst being upright.

I'm happy to say the purple snakes are gone and PQ remains excellent. Well worth the bother IMO.

Well that's good news ozdoc. Shame it's taken this long, but at least it's been fixed.

Well I finally bit the bullet and got my D-board replaced, under extended warrenty via HN.

The repair guy came out to check the problem about three weeks ago, had to order the part, and returned to replace the d-board onsite at my house yesterday. At first he wanted to take the TV with him to repair, but I insisted that it be done at home, which didn't fuss him much as panasonics can be repaired whilst being upright.

I'm happy to say the purple snakes are gone and PQ remains excellent. Well worth the bother IMO.

Oz did you just contact HN to get that done? Mine seems to be getting worse now at two years old....have the 5 year warranty with HN

I am starting to think that the snakes are getting worse on my set also, and luckily I have a 5 year warranty with Retravision.

Ozdoc, do you now what version d-board you ended up with? Thanks

Oz did you just contact HN to get that done? Mine seems to be getting worse now at two years old....have the 5 year warranty with HN

Yes, ring the number on the HN extended warrenty. They check on their computer that it's an existing known problem with Pansonic (which took about 30 seconds), then they issue you with a warrenty claim number, and send your details to the nearest service centre to where you live. The service centre contacted me.

I haven't checked to see the firmware version of the board. It's working (so I don't really care) but will have a look tonight.

Hi guys,

After 2.5 years my 42pv60A has now decided to show the purple snakes, and its really distracting when watching certain films and playing certain games :( Has anyone had any luck with the Goodguys Horizon 5 warranty in getting this fixed? If so, it would be good knowledge to be forearmed with.