Schaub Lorenz Lcd Tv

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi jbd.

i have the 4200PHF, and i can honstly say it's a stunning panel. I'm using mine as a monitor, but to be honest... i've never watched so much tv in my life... it just looks so good. I'm tapping away on my graphic designs and constantly find myself just staring at the cricket. no blur, no flicker, blacks are good and deep, it's BLOODY bright and comes with a 5 year warrantee. Many features to tinker with in the menu, eg. it can act as an alarm clock and turn itself on in the morning, freeze any frame displayed on screen (works a charm) built in tuner, built in speakers. The speakers go very loud and do use SRS so it does immitate surround sound, but big pictures need big sound, and the built ins just won't fly if you like bass.

My panel is getting replaced next week however, (4 weeks old) as it has 13 lit pixels, a cloudy backlight on one side and defects in the finish of the frame. Deffinately point these issues out when talking to the sales man. You will only be able to get these schaubies from the big picture people, or encel afaik.

I highly reccomend the big picture people in bundoora. Great guys to deal with, chat to, and great after sales support. You're welcome to bring a console in and hook it up to one of their many displays and projectors to see how they look. $3699 for the 42" Schaub 1080i model.

Be aware however that the max res on the dvi and vga inputs is 1366x768. component does 1080i. there are 2 component inputs. and wierdly, there are no hdmi inputs. This panel will not do 1080p. just i.

I'll give it 7/10, with the major loss in points coming from:

lack of hdmi

only one dvi

picture in picture won't do PC and TV together

Recommended.

TVDeck.jpg

• 1 month later...
hi jbd.

i have the 4200PHF, and i can honstly say it's a stunning panel. I'm using mine as a monitor, but to be honest... i've never watched so much tv in my life... it just looks so good. I'm tapping away on my graphic designs and constantly find myself just staring at the cricket. no blur, no flicker, blacks are good and deep, it's BLOODY bright and comes with a 5 year warrantee. Many features to tinker with in the menu, eg. it can act as an alarm clock and turn itself on in the morning, freeze any frame displayed on screen (works a charm) built in tuner, built in speakers. The speakers go very loud and do use SRS so it does immitate surround sound, but big pictures need big sound, and the built ins just won't fly if you like bass.

My panel is getting replaced next week however, (4 weeks old) as it has 13 lit pixels, a cloudy backlight on one side and defects in the finish of the frame. Deffinately point these issues out when talking to the sales man. You will only be able to get these schaubies from the big picture people, or encel afaik.

I highly reccomend the big picture people in bundoora. Great guys to deal with, chat to, and great after sales support. You're welcome to bring a console in and hook it up to one of their many displays and projectors to see how they look. $3699 for the 42" Schaub 1080i model.

Be aware however that the max res on the dvi and vga inputs is 1366x768. component does 1080i. there are 2 component inputs. and wierdly, there are no hdmi inputs. This panel will not do 1080p. just i.

I'll give it 7/10, with the major loss in points coming from:

lack of hdmi

only one dvi

picture in picture won't do PC and TV together

Recommended.

TVDeck.jpg

Hello, Gazzz-

I am becoming very interested in the VMD 4200PHF, particularly now the mk2 version has HDMI...

Were you successful in having your 'faulty' screen replaced and, if so, are you happy with the replacement, or are there still issues?

The specifications of this Schaub Lorenz are very appealing... but before I take the plunge, I would love to have some more from you on your current feelings re this LCD tv.

Thanks- jon1

The specifications of this Schaub Lorenz are very appealing... but before I take the plunge, I would love to have some more from you on your current feelings re this LCD tv.

Thanks- jon1

We've just got our second one. The first 32" didn't have the inbuilt Digital tuner, but we were very happy with it. When the CRT in our lounge room broke, we replaced it with the newer version of the 32" - the cabinet wouldn't take anything bigger.

We had some initial problems with the first one - but they came straight away and exchanged the set without questions.

For us, PQ is good, warranty is fantastic and operation is easy. Some inadequacies - you can't swap the PIP in Digital mode, you can't rewind the VCR in review mode (ie the screen loses signal in rewind mode) and the sound quality is nowhere near the picture - especially in any of the standard settings.

Overall though, good value for money and a great looking set.

We've just got our second one. The first 32" didn't have the inbuilt Digital tuner, but we were very happy with it. When the CRT in our lounge room broke, we replaced it with the newer version of the 32" - the cabinet wouldn't take anything bigger.

We had some initial problems with the first one - but they came straight away and exchanged the set without questions.

For us, PQ is good, warranty is fantastic and operation is easy. Some inadequacies - you can't swap the PIP in Digital mode, you can't rewind the VCR in review mode (ie the screen loses signal in rewind mode) and the sound quality is nowhere near the picture - especially in any of the standard settings.

Overall though, good value for money and a great looking set.

Thanks, allanjohn: helps to hear of others' experiences.

Anyone else with comments for/against Schaub-Lorenz LCDs - service issues, etc?

I would especially like to hear of pros/cons re VMD 4200PHF (42" LCD)....

Anyone else with info to help - including gazzz? (refer to above, earlier today)

HI Jon.

Yes, I have my new panel, which infact I have only had for 3 days now. (International dynamics are F***ING IDIOTS). They set aside a panel for me before christmas, however their dumbass salesman sold it.

However thanks to the big picture people (bundoora) I now have a MkII 42" with the 1080p and dual HDMI inputs. Yum.

I can now say that my only bicker with this panel is the fact that it still won't to picture in picture with the PC and DTV... but i got foxtel in the meantime and that works fine PIP. =)

International Dynamics 0 / 10

Big Pic Peeps 10 / 10

MkII 42" Showby 9.5 / 10

Alan, it's a shame about the VCR, but seeing as you've upgraded to such a panel, maybe it is time to go digital with that aspect? Analogue running with digital will inevitably run into trouble here and there.

Jon, stop wasting time. GO GET IT =)

I'm using mine as a monitor, but to be honest... i've never watched so much tv in my life... it just looks so good.

That certainly dampens my enthusiasm for this panel as a monitor or really even as a TV. You could have spent $2000 and got the same resolution.

Buying a 1080 TV and in only displays 1366x768 via DVI sucks big time as well.

HI Jon.

Yes, I have my new panel, which infact I have only had for 3 days now. (International dynamics are F***ING IDIOTS). They set aside a panel for me before christmas, however their dumbass salesman sold it.

However thanks to the big picture people (bundoora) I now have a MkII 42" with the 1080p and dual HDMI inputs. Yum.

I can now say that my only bicker with this panel is the fact that it still won't to picture in picture with the PC and DTV... but i got foxtel in the meantime and that works fine PIP. =)

International Dynamics 0 / 10

Big Pic Peeps 10 / 10

MkII 42" Showby 9.5 / 10

Alan, it's a shame about the VCR, but seeing as you've upgraded to such a panel, maybe it is time to go digital with that aspect? Analogue running with digital will inevitably run into trouble here and there.

Jon, stop wasting time. GO GET IT =)

Thanks, Gazzz, for your advice. I'm certainly tempted by your description. Perhaps I can buy one and tell my wife 'Just following orders"!

The addition of the two HDMI inputs in the Mk2 certainly is appealing - I suspect you would be a bit pleased the earlier panel (Mk 1) was faulty and had to be replaced by a Mk 2!

Do you know if a PC display done via one of the HDMI inputs can be at a resolution of 1920x1080... or is it still limited to 1366x768 or less?

However, from what you say, I gather you still feel the PC monitor function via 'PC input' at 1366x768 still gives a good picture....Correct?

However, from what you say, I gather you still feel the PC monitor function via 'PC input' at 1366x768 still gives a good picture....Correct?

1366x768 looks flawless. It is a standard 16:9 format so the panel does it very very well, and I would recommend this res for use from 2 or more meters away.

the MkII HDMI model however does the full 1080p :blink:

I have an overscan issue at the moment, but thats a problem at the PC end. I'm currently running 1792x998 for the PC, and it looks simply stunning.

Sam, the MkI I would understand you would be disappointed, however please realise that that model is now superseeded by the MkII Dual HDMI model, allowing full 1080p inputs.

1366x768 looks flawless. It is a standard 16:9 format so the panel does it very very well, and I would recommend this res for use from 2 or more meters away.

I have an overscan issue at the moment, but thats a problem at the PC end. I'm currently running 1792x998 for the PC, and it looks simply stunning.

Sam, the MkI I would understand you would be disappointed, however please realise that that model is now superseeded by the MkII Dual HDMI model, allowing full 1080p inputs.

Sounds terrific - Thanks again, Gazzz: I think I will see the Big Picture people ASAP.

And then...decisions, decisions, decisions!

Regards, jon1

Hi Gazz,

I can't find any info on the 42" MKII. who did you get yours from? Am I reading right you have a SL which has HDMI? I know there was a 26' plasma with HDMI.

Regards

Ed

The SL sets have similar issues to the Sony clouding issues. Had a look at them the other day and yes it is there. Was actually pointed out by the retailer after I told him I already owned a Sony X series. Told me he'd had huge issues dealing with International dynamics over the issue.

The SL sets have similar issues to the Sony clouding issues. Had a look at them the other day and yes it is there. Was actually pointed out by the retailer after I told him I already owned a Sony X series. Told me he'd had huge issues dealing with International dynamics over the issue.

Does that mean they use Samsung panels?

Don't know but it is a Korean unit so every possibility I guess.

Sounds like it then, particularly if it has backlight problems. The only other option from Korea that I'm aware of (and I live in Korea) is LG-Philips, but I haven't heard of such problems with LG panels. The only other big manufacturer is Sharp, based in Japan.

On a different note, does anyone know if a 3Schaub Lorenz 37" MKII is coming? I'm looking at buying a 37" lcd in the next few months - when I return to Australia - but would like it to accept 1080p signals.

On a different note, does anyone know if a 3Schaub Lorenz 37" MKII is coming? I'm looking at buying a 37" lcd in the next few months - when I return to Australia - but would like it to accept 1080p signals.

As the 42" MK2 is just out, the 37" should be out shortly. Exactly when, I do not know. I was originally told that the 37" would be out first, and the 42" still a long way off.

• 2 weeks later...

I beleive I have one of the very very first 42" HDMI MkII in aus, as mine is in the gloss black surround. They are changing this to a Matt black surround for the mainstream.

I got mine through The Big Picture People, in Bundoora, Melbourne (03 9470 8444)

It does indeed use a samsung panel, and yes, alot of them do have clouding issues, simply don't except one that does. International dynamics are pricks and should be shot, but my retailer wouldn't have any of their **** and got them to action.

The SL has a 5 dead pixel replacement warranty, and a 1 lit pixel warranty.

Cheers

-G

What problems did you have with your set Allan?

We must have dealt with other people for sure. My reasoning for being down on International Dynamics is that they didn't want to deliver my replacement set, they wanted to deliver it to my retailer and make me package the old one up, lug it back to the retailer and do a swap. I'm not local to bundoora, and I drive a 2-door coupe. Seriously, what sort of replacement is that? It's purely a manufacture fault, so you'd expect them to replace it...

Also, they sold the original set they had set aside for me, which delayed the replacement by over a month, 4 messages I left with them regarding the time they were to replace it weren't passed on so I clearly wasn't able to be home for the delivery, and I was told to pretty much told to 'deal with it' regarding some warping / imperfections in the 'piano gloss finish'.

I don't like badmouthing people or companies, but I would not buy another SL purely to not give International Dynamics my hard-earned.

*Sigh*

I still love my TV though =D

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there,

Back in January I bought one of the SL 37 inch Mk I tvs from truscott hifi here in Adelaide

The salesman told me it was a well known company from germany that have been making tvs for a long time.

In actual fact, he was lying. The company is actually from Korea and is just using the name "Schaub Lorenz". They have nothing to do with the well known german company at all.

I am now on my third set.

The first had trouble with the sound, and it crapped out anytime there was anything that had the slightest bit of bass. Also it froze all the time (nothing to do with the digital reception). It would just freeze and none of the controls would work. Also it would require me to turn it on, then off, then on again if I were to want picture with my sound. So i took it back.

Truscotts then replaced it with my second model which they assured me was ok. I should have tested it in the shop as no sooner than I turned it on, the left speaker hummed loudly even when there was nothing on the screen.

I was furious and took that back immediately, the guys in the shop were "genuinely"shocked that i have had the unfortunate luck of 2 faulty sets. They said that no-one else has had any problems with these tvs.

Anyway, I then had to wait for a replacement as they had sold out of them.

A week later my third set arrived. The new MK II.

This one now has white clouding issues on the corners and i find the fact that it cannot produce a convincing black on the screen quite annoying. So I'm now going to have to get this fixed too.

One thing I've learnt from this experience is to go with trusted brands. By going with an unknown one such as Schaub Lorenz, I'm only going to cause myself alot of grief.

My belief is that they're overpriced and about as good quality as Palsonic or other generic brands.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had similar issues to these, as i dont believe someone can honestly be 3 times unlucky like I have been.

Probably the worst $2000 I've ever spent.

just pretty unlucky i think, they had dramas with the sets locking up in the early models but these new ones are all good so far. lcd cant recreate a black anyway so you cant get around taht problem.

I find inter dyn to be pretty good, whoever it was that was bad mouthing them, maybe because you have a different rep in your state or whichever but ive dealt with them on several occasions with warranty issues aswell and they have been more then helpful

just pretty unlucky i think, they had dramas with the sets locking up in the early models but these new ones are all good so far. lcd cant recreate a black anyway so you cant get around taht problem.

I find inter dyn to be pretty good, whoever it was that was bad mouthing them, maybe because you have a different rep in your state or whichever but ive dealt with them on several occasions with warranty issues aswell and they have been more then helpful

It's all very well that you've had helpful experiences with them, but have you stopped to consider the fact that unless you're a retailer, its may not be a good sign when you need to deal with them on several occasions for the 1 tv? Doesnt that make you wonder if the quality of them isnt all it's cracked up to be.

Anyway I dont mean to badmouth them, I was just sharing my experience of my tv(s) purchase.

You're right, it could just be bad luck on my part. I'll keep you posted how I go when I get the clouding issues fixed with this 3rd tv.

well ive never had to go back multiple times for one product since they mostly sort it out the first time. i remember talking to them recently about a projector which hasnt performed the greatest. He had a few problems after the warranty period, not only did they replace the projector for him but they gave him the new model. So as i said, i havent had a reason to bad mouth them as they have only ever been helpful