Sign in to follow this  
laurie

Owners Thread Sony Bravia "r" Series (sxrd) 60"-70" 1080p

I'm on just over 5000 hrs on low power and it's still eye watering when most of the screen hits peak white. [some ads]

With the replacement lamp I have found the black level to be much poorer than with the original, poorer even than what I remember when the unit was new.

I'm now wondering about the true age of the original lamp that was in the unit given it's life span and the very obvious change in brightness with the replacement. It's also a trivial matter to reset the lamp hours through the user menu.

I recall my new set 60" set took about 100 hours of use for the colour to settle down. I am expecting a repetition of that behaviour when (eventually) replacing the bulb.

Subjectively, the screen seems much less bright now than it used to be. Lamp use, according to the service menu, currently stands at 3937 hours.

Does anyone know what the setting diff is in the service menu. It appears under each service menu setting, has a value of 1, 10, 100, 1000 or 10000 and can be changed.

I'm also curious as to what other owner's default setting is.

I've puzzled over this as well. Mine's on 1.

I've puzzled over this as well. Mine's on 1.

That's what mine's on currently but I'm not sure what it was originally. The point at which I noticed it was changing it changed to 1000 and I subsequently changed it down to 1. I tried changing it again this evening to see if it would affect black level but could not remember the remote combination to change it. I think originally it was either on 1 or 10000 but I'm not overly confident on that.

Worry was for nothing.

Warranty company has ponied up for the replacement of the optical block. When I first spoke to the repair guys yesterday, they said the OB was in Melbourne to be 'repaired'. When I started to get antsy that they were just going to spit-shine the dodgy OB, they told me 'repair' was probably a strong word, because what they are actually doing is essentially using the existing OB case to replace everything inside of it.

Can't wait to get it back. I've been watching TV on an old 37" Conia that we bought on the cheap for the kids.

Might splash out and have a new lamp waiting for its return.

Gday mate,

Last I heard you where looking to buy a used SXRD, now you say you are getting one fixed, did we miss something? :D

I'm on just over 5000 hrs on low power and it's still eye watering when most of the screen hits peak white. [some ads]

Knew I should have kept my mouth shut! The decay started to set in pretty quick not long after that post. :lol:

White started to really loose it's punch and take on a yellowish hue.

The onset of this was probably at about 4000 hrs when I did tweak things slightly.

Switching power saver to off had only a marginal improvement.

This lamp had the hairline cracks in the reflector and the violet reflection as well, as previously noted by Drsmith.

What was also very evident was the loss of detail as compared to the new lamp.

Who's got the best price on a replacement?

Detail always remains the same; the screen is just not as bright so it does not stand out.

No matter how much your lamp dims your screen will be brighter then mine as I have a neutral density filter blocking 50% of the light output.

With lamp aging and low power mode I have 25% or less of the original brightness and its plenty for my dim viewing environment, I don’t want any more.

Gday mate,

Last I heard you where looking to buy a used SXRD, now you say you are getting one fixed, did we miss something? :D

No, I was always waiting to hear back about my current set's warranty, but I'm also on the lookout for a 70" SXRD

I've looked at the current non-RearPro offerings, but nothing really wows me at a decent price for over 60"

I'd love a 9th gen Pioneer monitor or a 65" Panasonic, but the price can't be justified at the moment. From the looks of it though, Plasma seems to be a dying breed. 80% of TV's at my local JB are LCD.

Detail always remains the same; the screen is just not as bright so it does not stand out.

Theoretically that's true, though there is a measurable loss of sharpness, perhaps due to increasing arc length and loss of focus/collimation of the light source as the electrodes deteriorate.

That's what mine's on currently but I'm not sure what it was originally. The point at which I noticed it was changing it changed to 1000 and I subsequently changed it down to 1. I tried changing it again this evening to see if it would affect black level but could not remember the remote combination to change it. I think originally it was either on 1 or 10000 but I'm not overly confident on that.

Doctor,

Where in the service menus is the Diff setting adjustable?

With my 60" set, the following appears constantly as the last line displayed when in PANEL SERVICE mode:

Diff 1 50 Hz

All,

Just installed a new bulb in my 60" that was purchased from Bluestar in the US. Quick delivery and the bulb went in easy.

This appears to be the cheapest source at the moment for the XL-5100 (120W). Has anyone else found a competitive/similar price for the bulb, with or without the housing?

This appears to be the cheapest source at the moment for the XL-5100 (120W). Has anyone else found a competitive/similar price for the bulb, with or without the housing?

MLXXX

google A Matter of Fax They seem to have good pricing on XL-5100 lamps with housing. (not so good with XL-5300)

Doctor,

Where in the service menus is the Diff setting adjustable?

With my 60" set, the following appears constantly as the last line displayed when in PANEL SERVICE mode:

Diff 1 50 Hz

I'm not sure now (post #3304) but earlier I was able to change it when I was fooling around with iris settings. With two owners having now reported this as 1, I'm satisfied that it's the correct setting.

I do find myself dissapointed with the black level from the new bulb. I'm currently using Owen's iris settings with the iris set to min. I find that plenty bright enough.

Theoretically that's true, though there is a measurable loss of sharpness, perhaps due to increasing arc length and loss of focus/collimation of the light source as the electrodes deteriorate.

Sorry mate, but nothing can you do to the light source has any effect on sharpness or resolution, which is measured in MTF. A brighter image looks sharper, but it is an illusion.

Sorry mate, but nothing can you do to the light source has any effect on sharpness or resolution, which is measured in MTF. A brighter image looks sharper, but it is an illusion.

"Measured" is without eyes, so no illusion possible.

If you measure the MTF (sharpness) performance with a new or near dead lamp it will measure the same but the brightness of a new lamp will make the picture appear sharper, it's an illusion.

Edited by Owen

MLXXX

google A Matter of Fax They seem to have good pricing on XL-5100 lamps with housing. (not so good with XL-5300)

The picture of the lamp housing for the XL-5100 on the A Matter Of Fax website looks different to the one on the Sony website? :unsure:

An XL-5100 should be an XL-5100, but on the other hand there are Australian SXRDs and U.S. SXRDs.

The Matter of Fax pricing for the combination (lamp + housing) is about a third of the price of Australian sources I was thinking that if I did order from A Matter of Fax and if the housing unfortunately turned out to be slightly different to that used in the Australian 60" SXRDs, I could hopefully remove the bulb and put into the housing of my existing bulb.

It is of course more convenient to get the new bulb in a housing to facilitate quick installation (if it a direct replacement), and to leave the option open of easily repeated comparisons between the two bulbs regarding light level and colour.

Has anyone bought an XL5100 from this source?

Well after 15 months of use my lamp in my 60" decided to fail with the element exploding into many pieces. I looked at buying a replacement locally but could not justify paying the local price compared to waiting a few days to get one from Bluestar in the US. Hope it doesn't take too long. bought two lamps so that I don't have to wait long next time.

I have no idea how many hours I have on the old lamp will have to wait till it is going again to find out.

Well after 15 months of use my lamp in my 60" decided to fail with the element exploding into many pieces. I looked at buying a replacement locally but could not justify paying the local price compared to waiting a few days to get one from Bluestar in the US. Hope it doesn't take too long. bought two lamps so that I don't have to wait long next time.

I have no idea how many hours I have on the old lamp will have to wait till it is going again to find out.

Let us know how long it takes to arrive :winky:

Can those who have changed or checked the bulbs/ lamps on XL-5100 and XL-5300 housings provide the original brand name and model/serial # of bulb

As most owners will be requiring replacements shortly (some have done so already) it might be a good idea to ensure the new bulbs are exactly the same as the original and not some generic bulb which could ? be inferior

I think the original bulbs on the XL-5300 are 180 watt Osram Sylvannia model # ? and XL-5100 bulbs are 120 watt Philips model # ?

With the brand model/serial # it may be possible to purchase these directly through wholesalers

I thought all r series came with a spare lamp - mine did. Does this mean people are on their 3rd lamp? I'm still going strong on the original lamp after roughly 2 years at 5 hrs per day average use. Would this be considered below average usage or am I just lucky?

The details of the replacement lamp for my 70" Sony are:

312 H6

UHP 180/160W 1.0LL

PHILIPS

MADE IN BELGIUM

I hope this helps.

Edited by kcjones

The Advanced Iris function, a special Sony function, designed to improve contrast expression especially in darker scenes. The Advanced Iris function is enabled by using either one of two modes - Auto and Manual. BRAVIA Engine™ EX sharpens the image, enhances contrast and helps provide pleasingly saturated colors.

:huh: ??????????

Spoke too soon...

Got a call from United today to say that the OB could not be repaired and would have to be replaced entirely, which would run them $4500+ for the part.

They wanted to extend me an offer of $2000 cash to settle the warranty, but I shot it down immediately. I'm not taking $2000 on a $5500 purchase, because I don't believe market depreciation would be anywhere near that amount. In fact, I saw a secondhand 60" sell for $3500 recently. In any case, the value of my warranty should be $5500, not $2000. I bought a warranty to cover the full purchase price.

They had researched TV's in that size to see if they could offer me a new/secondhand set within reason, but could not find one in that size that was Full HD or 2-3 generations old.

I told them I would do some research and submit a proposal that I thought was within reason, so I emailed them back and said that I would be happy to call it a day on a new Panasonic TH-50PZ800A. Retails at $3600, but is selling around the $2700-$2800 mark. I'm assuming with their manufacturer connections, they could get it wholesale for $2300-$2400. Not much over their first offer (which is always brazenly lowball), so we shall see what they say.

Didn't want to go under 60", but we've been watching a 37" for 6 weeks now -- anything is going to look huge after that.