Sony TV Owners & Discussion Thread

I have just set up a KDL-46Z4500. When using input options for my VHS & DVD HDD Recorder I use Video 1, I cannot get the annoying caption across the top of the screen "Video 1" to turn off. Can anyone help please?

Thanks, Gary

I have just set up a KDL-46Z4500. When using input options for my VHS & DVD HDD Recorder I use Video 1, I cannot get the annoying caption across the top of the screen "Video 1" to turn off. Can anyone help please?

Thanks, Gary

Found the answer thanks. It was the information button that was turned on accidentally.

Hi everyone

I have a SXRD 70 tv,the tv have been great for 18 months with it being used almost constantly for digital tv,dvds and mainly a pc/htpc.

Over the last few days i have gone to turn the tv on with the TV starting up then turning itself off within seconds,and then 4xflashes from the red led side panel.

Several hours later try the tv and it turns on and stays on.

Tried the tv yesterday and the same problem again with the tv shutting down,after several attempts the tv would not turn on.

Today turned the tv on and off it went on as normal.

Has anyone had this problem or familiar with this problem.

Hi everyone

I have a SXRD 70 tv,the tv have been great for 18 months with it being used almost constantly for digital tv,dvds and mainly a pc/htpc.

Over the last few days i have gone to turn the tv on with the TV starting up then turning itself off within seconds,and then 4xflashes from the red led side panel.

Several hours later try the tv and it turns on and stays on.

Tried the tv yesterday and the same problem again with the tv shutting down,after several attempts the tv would not turn on.

Today turned the tv on and off it went on as normal.

Has anyone had this problem or familiar with this problem.

Have a look at the manual, error codes, may give you an idea what 4 flashes mean, could be going into safety mode and shutting down if it was too hot, or something like that. RTFM.

Yep on both count's. Can't see many owners needing or having room for another... -_-

I have also seen these cracks on my bulb - my maybe even more prominent.... i believe i have also have approx 3,000 hour lamp life done..... the blue hazzle also present......

Guest scooper09

Hey guys..

well had to send my Bravia off for repair in the end under warranty- was apparently the first one in this series with this problem so they had to actually get someone from Sony to figure out the issue.

Just got it back but have a few questions I am hoping you can please help me with to get it setup properly:

The model number of mine is KDL-40W4500 with an audio system number DAV-DZ777.

What I am trying to do is connect Foxtel via a scart cable, an Xbox 360 via HDMI and an audio system via HDMI.

At the moment everything is connected perfectly through the Television. The SCART cable for Foxtel and HDMI cables are plugged into the TV.

The main problem I've got is I can't figure out how to get things through the audio system, and also so I can watch Foxtel/Xbox in surround system.

Sorry hope this doesn't sound too complicated lol.

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by scooper09

Hey guys..

well had to send my Bravia off for repair in the end under warranty- was apparently the first one in this series with this problem so they had to actually get someone from Sony to figure out the issue.

Just got it back but have a few questions I am hoping you can please help me with to get it setup properly:

The model number of mine is KDL-40W4500 with an audio system number DAV-DZ777.

What I am trying to do is connect Foxtel via a scart cable, an Xbox 360 via HDMI and an audio system via HDMI.

At the moment everything is connected perfectly through the Television. The SCART cable for Foxtel and HDMI cables are plugged into the TV.

The main problem I've got is I can't figure out how to get things through the audio system, and also so I can watch Foxtel/Xbox in surround system.

Sorry hope this doesn't sound too complicated lol.

Thanks in advance :)

From the specs on the Sony site your DAV-DZ777 receiver appears to have very limited input options, so you'll probably need to connect your XBox/Foxtel's A/V to your TV, and pass the audio through to your receiver via a digital optical cable.

Unfortunately the TV optical audio output probably won't pass through 5.1 surround sound from any of your peripherals to your receiver - they'll be passed through as a stereo signal (that's the way it works with the 2007 KDL models, anyway). However, the TV optical audio output WILL output 5.1 Dolby Digital from FTA digital stations to your receiver.

Ideally you'd connect the audio from the XBox/Foxtel directly to your receiver so you can get 5.1 surround sound from them, but that appears to be only possible if you buy extra gear. And at this point it all starts to get complicated... :P

Guest scooper09
From the specs on the Sony site your DAV-DZ777 receiver appears to have very limited input options, so you'll probably need to connect your XBox/Foxtel's A/V to your TV, and pass the audio through to your receiver via a digital optical cable.

Unfortunately the TV optical audio output probably won't pass through 5.1 surround sound from any of your peripherals to your receiver - they'll be passed through as a stereo signal (that's the way it works with the 2007 KDL models, anyway). However, the TV optical audio output WILL output 5.1 Dolby Digital from FTA digital stations to your receiver.

Ideally you'd connect the audio from the XBox/Foxtel directly to your receiver so you can get 5.1 surround sound from them, but that appears to be only possible if you buy extra gear. And at this point it all starts to get complicated... :P

Cheers Hui :)

Are you able to please elaborate on

?

Cheers Hui :)

Are you able to please elaborate on

?

It's complicated because your audio system has so few inputs (1 digital audio input only, either coaxial or optical) that I suspect you'd need a pretty kludgy solution to get it happening. Eg: Xbox HDMI goes to a DVI/SPDIF converter; DVI to RGB converter to TV RGB input; SPDIF to receiver coaxial input. And if you want to connect any more digital audio cables to the receiver (Foxtel IQ?), you'll also need a powered digital audio switcher. :blink:

You may well be better off buying an AV receiver that already has the features you need.

HELP WITH ISSUE - HALF MY SCREEN HAS GONE DARK AND BLURRY!

Hi Guys,

Just had a problem start occuring with my Sony Bravia KDL-46X3100.

I've had the tv for about 8 months and this only started happening this week.

When the tv gets switched on, half the screen appears very dark and blurry (right hand side), yet the other half seems ok.

It is almost exacly half way along the screen. You can see the image but one half is normal and the other half dark, blurry jumpy images and the colours don't seem to be correct.

Once the tv has been on for 5 minutes or so, the dark, blurry side seems to come good.

The picture comes back to normal.

It only seems to occur when the tv is 'cold' - the picture is ok when you turning the tv off then on again straight away.

Any ideas?

Here are some pics to show you what it looks like (watching American Pie on TV)

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/m...cc/P1070320.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/m...cc/P1070321.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/m...cc/P1070322.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/m...cc/P1070319.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/m...cc/P1070318.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/m...cc/P1070317.jpg

I'm going to ring Sony support first thing Monday morning. Just want to know if anyone else has had this problem.

Edited by mickmcc

HELP WITH ISSUE - HALF MY SCREEN HAS GONE DARK AND BLURRY!

Hi Guys,

Just had a problem start occuring with my Sony Bravia KDL-46X3100.

I've had the tv for about 8 months and this only started happening this week.

When the tv gets switched on, half the screen appears very dark and blurry (right hand side), yet the other half seems ok.

It is almost exacly half way along the screen. You can see the image but one half is normal and the other half dark, blurry jumpy images and the colours don't seem to be correct.

Once the tv has been on for 5 minutes or so, the dark, blurry side seems to come good.

The picture comes back to normal.

It only seems to occur when the tv is 'cold' - the picture is ok when you turning the tv off then on again straight away.

Any ideas?

Here are some pics to show you what it looks like (watching American Pie on TV)

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/m...cc/P1070320.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/m...cc/P1070321.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/m...cc/P1070322.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/m...cc/P1070319.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/m...cc/P1070318.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/m...cc/P1070317.jpg

I'm going to ring Sony support first thing Monday morning. Just want to know if anyone else has had this problem.

Hi mickmcc,

I'm not sure if you read my post from December 16th... re: my Sony KDL-46X3100 having four horizontal bands appearing on the screen. Further to my original post I can confirm that the Sony took 1 month (admittedly over the Xmas period) to obtain a new LCD panel for my TV. During the month's wait though my TV started to have a similar problem to what you've described except that the problem affected the left hand 2/3 of the screen rather than the right half. When I turned on the TV the left hand side of the screen was very dark. This problem would sometimes go away after about half an hour but it progressively got worse. Sometimes I turned on the TV and all I could see on the screen was a single thin coloured horizontal line across the screen.

I think that Sony will probably replace the LCD panel in your TV. To replace the LCD panel in my TV the service agent technicians placed the TV (panel first) on a special stand. They then removed the back cover of the TV, unscrewed a dozen or so screws and then removed seemingly every board in the TV until they got to the LCD panel. They then swapped the panel for a new one and replaced all the boards back into the TV without needing to consult any documentation whatsoever. The whole process took less than 40 minutes. So far the replacement panel is working fine.

Hi mickmcc,

I'm not sure if you read my post from December 16th... re: my Sony KDL-46X3100 having four horizontal bands appearing on the screen. Further to my original post I can confirm that the Sony took 1 month (admittedly over the Xmas period) to obtain a new LCD panel for my TV. During the month's wait though my TV started to have a similar problem to what you've described except that the problem affected the left hand 2/3 of the screen rather than the right half. When I turned on the TV the left hand side of the screen was very dark. This problem would sometimes go away after about half an hour but it progressively got worse. Sometimes I turned on the TV and all I could see on the screen was a single thin coloured horizontal line across the screen.

I think that Sony will probably replace the LCD panel in your TV. To replace the LCD panel in my TV the service agent technicians placed the TV (panel first) on a special stand. They then removed the back cover of the TV, unscrewed a dozen or so screws and then removed seemingly every board in the TV until they got to the LCD panel. They then swapped the panel for a new one and replaced all the boards back into the TV without needing to consult any documentation whatsoever. The whole process took less than 40 minutes. So far the replacement panel is working fine.

Thanks for your reply redhead65 - it sounds like the very similar problem you were having.

Looks like a new panel could be required.

I'll give Sony support a call first thing tomorrow.

Cheers and thanks again.

Have a look at the manual, error codes, may give you an idea what 4 flashes mean, could be going into safety mode and shutting down if it was too hot, or something like that. RTFM.

Cheers mate,Have checked through and cleaned through the back of the unit,regarding dust,looked for error codes-which says contact your local service technician when you have 4x flashes of the red led.

So i have contacted a Sony technician who is 2x weeks way until Attending.

So far since the problem it has not reared its head again from the last time it did not turn on?

So i will see if how it goes in the next week.

Cheers mate,Have checked through and cleaned through the back of the unit,regarding dust,looked for error codes-which says contact your local service technician when you have 4x flashes of the red led.

So i have contacted a Sony technician who is 2x weeks way until Attending.

So far since the problem it has not reared its head again from the last time it did not turn on?

So i will see if how it goes in the next week.

4 flashes is a fan problem. Usually not getting to the correct speed due to bad bearings.

Humm, 1500 hours is not typical, most people get more then Sony's recommended life out of the lamp. I have about 3000 hours out of its 4000 hour design life on my 70" lamp and the picture has never been better. On full power its still too bright for my needs and I have always used low power mode, which probably has extended the lamps life.

I'm on just over 5000 hrs on low power and it's still eye watering when most of the screen hits peak white. [some ads]

4 flashes is a fan problem. Usually not getting to the correct speed due to bad bearings.

Cheers mate,

This narrows the problem down,and does make sense,because when the tv is on it operates as normal,but when having the problem it would go through the start up process and you could hear the fan start up then it would switch off followed by the tv, also at the time we had, had unusually hot humid conditions.

Since then i got an air compresor gun and blew through the back of the fan and tv,and there was alot of dust.

Since then[touch wood] the tv has been starting fine.

I'm on just over 5000 hrs on low power and it's still eye watering when most of the screen hits peak white. [some ads]

With the replacement lamp I have found the black level to be much poorer than with the original, poorer even than what I remember when the unit was new.

I'm now wondering about the true age of the original lamp that was in the unit given it's life span and the very obvious change in brightness with the replacement. It's also a trivial matter to reset the lamp hours through the user menu.

I recall my new set 60" set took about 100 hours of use for the colour to settle down. I am expecting a repetition of that behaviour when (eventually) replacing the bulb.

Subjectively, the screen seems much less bright now than it used to be. Lamp use, according to the service menu, currently stands at 3937 hours.

Does anyone know what the setting diff is in the service menu. It appears under each service menu setting, has a value of 1, 10, 100, 1000 or 10000 and can be changed.

I'm also curious as to what other owner's default setting is.

I've puzzled over this as well. Mine's on 1.

I've puzzled over this as well. Mine's on 1.

That's what mine's on currently but I'm not sure what it was originally. The point at which I noticed it was changing it changed to 1000 and I subsequently changed it down to 1. I tried changing it again this evening to see if it would affect black level but could not remember the remote combination to change it. I think originally it was either on 1 or 10000 but I'm not overly confident on that.

Worry was for nothing.

Warranty company has ponied up for the replacement of the optical block. When I first spoke to the repair guys yesterday, they said the OB was in Melbourne to be 'repaired'. When I started to get antsy that they were just going to spit-shine the dodgy OB, they told me 'repair' was probably a strong word, because what they are actually doing is essentially using the existing OB case to replace everything inside of it.

Can't wait to get it back. I've been watching TV on an old 37" Conia that we bought on the cheap for the kids.

Might splash out and have a new lamp waiting for its return.