Sony TV Owners & Discussion Thread

I think there is a threshhold question before anyone commits themselves to a UPS, in order to 'protect the SXRD'. And that is whether there is any material stress on the SXRD units if the fan doesn't help them cool down quickly. The stress presumably is on the lamp. If the stress is only on the lamp, then by how much is its life reduced? And how does the cost of reduced lamp life compare with the cost and inconvenience of acquiring, and maintaining, a UPS?

Im considering calling Sony or sending an e-mail on monday to ask these questions and also see what there view is on using such UPS equipment on the set .

Be interesting to see what the reaction is and if there would be any effect on warranty claims if using such equpment .

Im considering calling Sony or sending an e-mail on monday to ask these questions and also see what there view is on using such UPS equipment on the set .

Be interesting to see what the reaction is and if there would be any effect on warranty claims if using such equpment .

They would never know if you used a UPS before the set. Just never tell them :blink:

All of these things can be measured.

Making predictions about needing 1000VA and sine waveforms is superstitious. It doesnt have place in real engineering.

The fact is for sources that are doing DC rectification that dont use inductors square wave is better. This can be proven practically through an oscilloscope and comparing the residual ripple flutter of the rectified DC signal between square wave and sine wave.

For a device that consumers a low wattage of just 230watts, and knowing that the capacitative array in the Sonys PSU is not going to have many farads of capactitance its simply not possible for the device to get nto tremendouse startup or shutdown inductive loads. Its a non issue.

Australian UPS's to meet the required standards for entry into the market have protection circuitry anyway and if there is an overload it is a handled event. Kendrew can easily confirm his unit is ok by having the SRD off, the UPS disconnected from the mains and turning on the TV.

If we explore the thermodynamics and the actual science of whats happening a cooling fan isnt the best way to go about cooling a part. The lamp has a limited surface area and air is not a good medium - for example water is over 14 times better at this than air, which again will vary according to pressure and temperature. By the very fact that sony have a pretty simple air cooling setup running its obvious the lamp cooling is not critical otherwise it would have required a more involved and expensive solution. Companies wont spend money over engineering things that exceed the requirement.

There can be no doubt that fatigue exists in the warmup and shutdown events in the lamp and I'm going to make what I consider to be an informed guestimate to say more bulbs will break from being turned on and off rather than left on at different times than the numbers failing from a blackout power off. The most stressful part is turn on for a lamp not turn off.

I think the key issue is that Kendrews unwanted power cycling problem, which I also have, was fixed by his UPS which points to me at fault in the sony psu.

I am looking at a can of worms.

Trying not to get involved with all the technical information, am I right in saying the basic requirement for the SXRD is, if there is a power dropout, even if only milli-seconds, the UPS should immediately kick in and power the fan through its normal cooling cycle? And what normally happens to the battery after such a use.....re-charge, replace?

MLXXX has a good point about how much the lamp life might be reduced by outages.

Laurie.....whatt would be the cost of the 5115 unit? It looks very posh.

I think that confirms it. :D Good news...

Dont expect this updated version soon Gunner , its already delayed as far as the new chipset size is concerned so i doubt it will arrive till mid - late 2007

Trying not to get involved with all the technical information, am I right in saying the basic requirement for the SXRD is, if there is a power dropout, even if only milli-seconds, the UPS should immediately kick in and power the fan through its normal cooling cycle? And what normally happens to the battery after such a use.....re-charge, replace?

MLXXX has a good point about how much the lamp life might be reduced by outages.

If the power blip is small enough to trip the UPS into switching over but then receiving mains power within the 2-5 sec bracket then you will never notice that the UPS has activated . But i pressume you would still have to manualy power down the tv through its shut down sequence if the power turns off all together as the tv doesnt know its connected to the UPS and will just drain the power down in the battery and then have just the same effect as having the power turn off .

Somebody correct me if im wrong :blink:

I think that model UPS is fairly pricey ................. cheapest i can find is around the $680 mark

Don’t get too worked up about UPS systems people.

Unless you have relatively frequent power loss or glitches that cause your TV to shut down more times then you are comfortable with, I can’t see any need for a UPS.

s.h.i.t got the first model cannot remember the price[wasn't cheap] BUT that unit is not just used for my PJ & PC as an electrician I have wired my house with RED power points feed from the UPS and also have emergency lighting wired up a few weeks ago in our area in Sydney power was off for 2 hrs at night and it was a god send at least I was able to make a cuppa :blink:

The problem is people think UPS are a POWER STATION at home they are not..their purpose is to allow safe shutdown of equipement if you are wanting more TIME then you need to spend $$$$$$$$$

cheers laurie

Well I did ask where you were and if you are having numerous problems I suggest having a chat with your power authority/utility

Please remind me which post it was when you asked where I am. Sorry, I don't recall.

As for chatting with our power supplier - well - that would be a novelty indeed. I've never experienced anyone better at covering up their obvious foul-ups. They churn out the same multi reasons and causes of all outages, unless it is an indisputable breakdown in their immediate domain. Besides, we are not the only ones on the supply line. Everyone experiences the same problems and everyone complains.

Obviously outages can be caused by bats, birds, branches, high winds, lightning strikes. etc.

In a perfect world all our power supplies (and other utilities) would be underground.

I have stated my use of a UPS to Sony, several times. No one has hesitated in approving of the idea and certainly has not mentioned any problems with warranty.

......And what normally happens to the battery after such a use.....re-charge, replace?

The battery recharges.

If the power blip is small enough to trip the UPS into switching over but then receiving mains power within the 2-5 sec bracket then you will never notice that the UPS has activated . But i pressume you would still have to manualy power down the tv through its shut down sequence if the power turns off all together as the tv doesnt know its connected to the UPS and will just drain the power down in the battery and then have just the same effect as having the power turn off .

Somebody correct me if im wrong :blink:

Our UPS emits a strident 'beep' when it transfers to battery backup - no matter how short the duration. It gives me a very comfortable feeling. The idea is, as you say, to manually power down the SXRD (or other) in order to engage the low power cooling mode - without draining the battery which would defeat the UPS purpose in being able to power the cooling mode.

As for chatting with our power supplier - well - that would be a novelty indeed. I've never experienced anyone better at covering up their obvious foul-ups. They churn out the same multi reasons and causes of all outages, unless it is an indisputable breakdown in their immediate domain. Besides, we are not the only ones on the supply line. Everyone experiences the same problems and everyone complains.

Obviously outages can be caused by bats, birds, branches, high winds, lightning strikes. etc.

In a perfect world all our power supplies (and other utilities) would be underground.

A few years ago, I mamaged to get the local power utility to cough up for repairs to a couple of electrical appliances after a power outage due to a transformer fault further down the street.

I did have the advantage though of talking to the guy repairing the transformer as I took a stroll up the street towards the transformer after the power failure. It was not the first time that particular transformer had failed.

As for very high winds and lightning strikes from thunderstorms, the SXRD will not be on at those times. That will at least reduce the risk.

***SNIP***

I think OZHTfan is on hols.....I know his was calibrated, though from what I remember it seems to have been done without the service manual.

I am getting a Tosh HD-E1, can't wait to see the HD-DVDs on this set.

Pietro, you don't need the service manual to calibrate the set and as for fan noise.......what fan noise.....mine's so quiet my wife :blink: can't hear it........

Screen geometry

The first few seconds of viewing was of the tennis, and MLXXX's eagle eye immediately saw that the tennis court lines on the left hand side had a slight curve. :blink: However over subsequent hours of general video viewing, this was not noticeable.

Measurement revealed relatively minor discrepancies.

In the diagram below, the outer rectangle represents the 1920x1080 picture with no overscan. Points A to E make up an inside rectangle (the brown dots), and are the outermost points of what can actually be seen on the screen. (There is significant overscan, as is the conventional practice with all televisions.)

|...............................................................................

.........|

|..A......................................B........................................

C..|

|...................................................................................

.....|

|...................................................................................

.....|

.....|

.....|

|..D................................................................................E..|

.....|

.....|

.....|

.....|

.....|

|..F.........................................G.....................................

H..|

|...............................................................................

.........|

I have remeasured the geometry, using a PC generated convergence pattern as a guide, and with the help of the screen position controls in the Setup Menu [below 'lamp replacement' ].

My revised and simplified figures (to the nearest pixel) are:

Vertical variations:

A as reference

B 3 pixels downwards

C 2 pixels upwards relative to B (or 1 pixel down relative to A)

F as reference

G 4 pixels upwards

H same as G

Horizontal variations:

A as reference

D 1 pixel to the right

F 3 pixels to the left relative to D (or 2 pixels to the left relative to A)

C as a reference

E 2 pixels to the left

H 2 pixels to the right relative to E (or the same horizontal position as C)

Or as an exaggerated diagram.

Even when a convergence pattern is displayed, as here, the differences do not jump out of the screen. I don't know whether I will bother to try to improve the geometry as Dr Smith has with his set

(congrats Doctor!); mine might aleady be close to its optimum adjustment. In any event, I think I'll wait till my issue with convergence of horizontal red lines is resolved.

By the way, it may be noted from the picture just above that the Centre speaker is now positioned higher up, close to the bottom of the screen*. This is giving a much clearer sound than when the speaker was near the floor.

*More detail in the Home Theatre sub-forum here.

I have remeasured the geometry, using a PC generated convergence pattern as a guide, and with the help of the screen position controls in the Setup Menu [below 'lamp replacement' ].

My revised and simplified figures (to the nearest pixel) are:

Vertical variations:

A as reference

B 3(5) pixels downwards

C 2(5) pixels upwards relative to B (or 1(0) pixel down relative to A)

F as reference

G 4 pixels upwards (3 pixels downwards)

H same as G (3 pixels upwards (same as F))

Horizontal variations:

A as reference

D 1(2) pixel to the right

F 3(5) pixels to the left relative to D (or 2(3) pixels to the left relative to A)

C as a reference

E 2(2) pixels to the left

H 2(6) pixels to the right relative to E (or the same horizontal position as C(4 pixels to the right of C)

Or as an exaggerated diagram.

Even when a convergence pattern is displayed, as here, the differences do not jump out of the screen. I don't know whether I will bother to try to improve the geometry as Dr Smith has with his set

(congrats Doctor!); mine might aleady be close to its optimum adjustment. In any event, I think I'll wait till my issue with convergence of horizontal red lines is resolved.

By the way, it may be noted from the picture just above that the Centre speaker is now positioned higher up, close to the bottom of the screen. This is giving a much clearer sound than when the speaker was near the floor.

I have added my geometry figures in red to yours quoted above.

Looking at your figures, I would say that your display is very close to optimum adjustment.

The other interesting difference is that your display is slightly concave on all four sides whereas mine is slightly concave on 3 sides and slightly convex across the bottom.

Well Dr Smith, you have been good enough to put your figures in for comparison.

So I have prepared an exaggerated diagram for your 70" SXRD.

As you have indicated, these variations go unnoticed with video material.

Even when using the SXRD as a PC monitor, they are of little consequence.

I'm not trying to be a smartarse but it can't hurt to put a knot (or a couple) in the power cord from the wall outlet. Cheap insurance but knot an end in itself, pardon the pun. :blink:

http://www.telos-systems.com/?/techtalk/surge.htm

Cheers!

Thought you were being funny until I read the article. Interesting reading. Logically the knots will overheat and melt thus breaking the circuit - but I wonder if it happens fast enough to prevent delicate equipment cooking.

I was still in bed this morning when we had an outage. I had to get up because the UPS was squawking as it was backing up the SXRD which was on standby. I switched the UPS off via the little button on the front panel. Mains power was restored about 2 hours later so I switched the UPS back on and the SXRD standby light came on.

I really like this UPS.

Why turn it off at the wall? Do you turn your VCR, DVD player, microwave, washing machine etc off at the wall too?

I did not pay anywhere near $6.5k a piece for any of the above.

I have not turned the VCR off for a while, but that's because I have not turned it on for a while either.

DVD player: That's the PC and that gets turned off at the powerboard too.

Microwave: I leave that on at the powerpoint, except during thunderstorms or when I'm away.

Washing machine: I turn that off at the power point as I only use it once or twice a week.

I do leave the clock radio on however as I need the alarm to go off in the morning, otherwise I may not get to work on time. :blink:

I was not having a go, rather, I was interested if there was any reason behind leaving the SXRD on in standby mode after the cooling fan has turned itself off.

Yes - avoiding the inconvenience of having to turn your gear off/on twice to save 2c a day in electricity :blink:

Hardly an inconvenience - you walk past and hit one button. Not to say I do it myself all that often, but it's not that much of a job. My PC is generally always turned off at the wall when not in use too.