Tv On Pc (via Internet) - Any Good?

Hi there,

in the past few weeks I have had a lot of enquiries from friends and relatives about this 'watch TV from all over the world on your PC over the Internet' .... I have visited several sites.... including Direct TV Networks , TV on PC Elite , and Satellite TV on PC .

In none of the sites above I could find any free trial or good screenshots of what to find... Neither did I find any credible reviews of the best sites, quality of the broadcast, image size, ease of use, etc.... the only site I found with a 'review of sorts' was Site Review Authority - However it does sound more like an informatial then an actual review ....

the question is - Has anyone here on the forum tried any of these services AND are they any good? would you recommend them?

thanks in advance for your feedback,

Regards,

Marcelo

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a FREE software to access some world wide TV channels, the program can be found at http://www.tvunetworks.com/.

The quality is not perfect, as these channels are being broadcasted by individuals and depends on there speed that they are using.

The current channels are:

Star Sports

CCTV-5 (Sports)

FOX

CBS

HunanTV

ONTOP TV (Music)

Xin Zhi

Class News (Italy)

DW TV (German)

Bloomberg

NASA TV

Fox News

Phoenix Info

StarTV

Phoenix CN

CTITV

CTI News

Hollywood Movie

East TV

CCTV 8

CCTV 1

CCTV 4

HuaYu

Channel V

Comedy Central

The Beauty TV Network

Traffic in Shanghai

Bay Area 101 Northbound

"HITZ" Radio

Nickelodeon

O-TSN SPORTS

coca-tea.blogspot.com

Salemhill TV

Freedom Channel

LAKERS VS Bobcats LIVE

ChicagoVision

These channels change all the time and sometimes do not work, so they are not that reliable.

I have not checked the other sites that offer TV via the internet, so cannot comment on them.

TVU has been hamstrung by the cable cuts off Taiwan, caused by the earthquakes this week. It'll probably be 2-3 weeks before TVU works properly again like it did before.

Right now, the player is apparantly unable to connect to the Shanghai-based server to refresh the channel list. This means the list is either out of date or non-existent.

When it works tho, it's not bad. Other players like TVants and Sopcast are also ok, although they don't carry the big US networks as TVU does.

Having said that, ABC (US) disapeared from their offering a few weeks back, and I suspect NBC has gone the same way, as it disappeared a day or two before the earthquakes. The people previously streaming NHL channels got an email from the NHL's lawyers asking them to stop streaming their channels or face legal action.

I suspect once the major US channels all disappear, interest in these internet TV clients will wane considerably.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
Better than the above, DSL required:-

www.channelchooser.com

Thanks Keepleft, looks interesting. Watched a few minutes of BBC news, but it was streaming at 200kbps+ and I've just about used up my 20 gig peak-hour quota for this month. PQ was poor, but it was WS.

I've bookmarked it and will have another play after 11pm when offpeak kicks in (no limit)

Just a general comment - those Satelite TV on PC software packages are usually just search engines that link to free tv sites already available on the web. I was looking at them and it took me a while to work this out because all you find on the web about them are fake testimonials and dodgy reviews.

Yeah, some of the sites selling "Satellite TV for PC" actually include a disclaimer stating that you are purchasing "information" about how to watch free TV.... i.e. you are paying for links to free streams and links to free software, which you could have found anywhere had you only taken the trouble to look.

Quite funny on the forums for TVU player at viidoo.com - every now and then somone posts "I paid $50 for this program and they promised me 2000 channels..." until someone invariably points out that the software is free and they got duped.

Yeah, some of the sites selling "Satellite TV for PC" ............. you are paying for links to free streams and links to free software...........

Hi Timmy,

I only looked at 'channelchooser', and only tried a few links there. None of those that I tried asked me to register or pay to view.

I'd never tried searching for overseas TV before, and I'm sure there are much better links to be found with specific google searches. However as an introduction to this field the site is useful I think, just to give an idea of the possibilities. When I have some spare time I will investigate further, and find some free to view channels with good PQ.

Hi Timmy,

I only looked at 'channelchooser', and only tried a few links there. None of those that I tried asked me to register or pay to view.

I was referring to the shysters who advertise on Ebay and Google Ads selling "Free Satellite TV on your PC" then provide the gullible buyers with freely available links like channelchooser and links to free software like TVUplayer, TVants and Sopcast.

I was referring to the shysters who advertise on Ebay and Google Ads selling "Free Satellite TV on your PC" then provide the gullible buyers with freely available links like channelchooser and links to free software like TVUplayer, TVants and Sopcast.

I had another look, and that site (channelchoosers) is loaded with traps for the gullible! eg: "100% FREE satellite TV...Register here with email..." then, in very fine print " free access by winning our weekly raffle" !! :blink:

The links that are free all seem to be very poor PQ anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

I just saw someone ask about Tv On Pc on the Program Call For Help ( whichs is on Foxtel) it was interesting to note that

what you are actually downloading is a file that contains links to certain websites which provide webtv, All of which you can get for free if you search hard enough.

On the show they also gave out a link for a great program that will be released soon called Joost.Its from the same ppl

that invented the internet phone company Skype. http://www.joost.com/

Yes Joost is very exciting! I cant wait for it to start. Have a look at the available channels, there will be some good stuff there for FREE and LEGIT! I actually signed up for the beta but never get an invite :blink:

Not long now though.......

Yes Joost is very exciting! I cant wait for it to start. Have a look at the available channels, there will be some good stuff there for FREE and LEGIT! I actually signed up for the beta but never get an invite :blink:

Not long now though.......

WTF why are they making it hard to download software I entered my name and password then it came up with Woops!! any help for a non techie user pleaseeee

cheers laurie

WTF why are they making it hard to download software I entered my name and password then it came up with Woops!! any help for a non techie user pleaseeee

cheers laurie

Must have been the beta sw you tried for, as Joost hasn't been released yet.

In the instructions fot beta dl it says:

"....To use Joost, you must have an invitation from an existing user. Until you receive an invite, you won't be able to download the software....."

• 2 weeks later...

Before Christmas I installed TVU player and used to get about 30 channels, nothing too exciting, so I haven't bothered with it. Today I was cleaning up unused programs and came across TVU again and fired it up, player is ok but no channels came up on it at all. Presumably it couldn't find anything to connect to, so has TVU died?