Instrument Choice

Hullo to all of you!

I wish you all the best for 2007.

Guys I need your help in choosing a good instrument (for Digital and Analogue Terrestrial). I am between the models Unaohm and Rover but I really do not understand the details in order to make a choice. Right now I am using an Emitor Instrument (Mark IV)for Satellite but I am not satisfied. Is it better to have an Instrument that has everything on it or is it better to have them separately. For example I have heard in the Forum about Rover PDA-7 and Unaohm Proteus T40 Plus. These Instruments are Handheld. Are they easy to walk around on a roof while holding an Antenna on one hand? What things are we looking for when choosing a good instrument?

Greeting to all

Costa

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of starting another meter thread:

I use the Unaohm T40, and making allowances for what I perceive are its quirks, find it a good, all round, entry level instrument. In my case it is particularly useful for installations in low signal areas. The ability to power feed amplifiers from the T40 is an excellent feature.

For the record, I also use a Roversat PDA-7 (mostly for data-logging, but some measurement) and have as backup a HORIZON HDTM, which gets woken up once a month to make sure it is still alive :blink:

separate instruments leaves more fingers free to carry other stuff up the ladder and costs less. but perhaps the most important question (which none on this forum has been able to agree on) is which measures more accurately. most accept the 'truth is out there', but what is it?

I'll say up front I'm a T40 user..

and my personal preference is for a seperate Terrestrial and Satellite meter, due to size/weight and the fact you are normally doing one or the other rarely both at one time...

Having said that I really like the Promax Prodig-5 TV Explorer... and this will probably be my next meter... unfortunately it wasn't around when I went to the T40 a few years ago.

It also depends on what type of work you do... either simple installs or do you do much fault finding or work in low signal difficult situations??

If you're after simple installation tools that are reliable give true BER readings then the Horizon HDTM/HDSM are good vaule for money.

If you need to do more and need something with a spectrum analyser as well then you want the T40/S21 combo or/PDA7/ or for more $$$ then the Prodig5..

I've had great service from Lacey's with any issues on my T40 and the Spares/stock of PDA7's always seems to be questionable when I've asked.

Spend some time and play with whatever your short list is, as usability is key...

Yes I regularly do site tests with my T40, it allows me to see all my standard analogue and digital channel levels which I use as a starting point to get the best signal strength location on the roof and then move on to looking at BERs for each of digital channels.

Anyway I think you need to look at weight, battery life and functionality. Is 7.5Kg too much .. I think so if you're using it on a roof a few times a day...

The one thing is key is whatever you choose , ensure it does true BER measurement not esitmation, and can give you Channel BER, Post viterbi and also Reed Solomon Counts... If you can't easily see these things then don't waste your money...

Hope this helps

Cheers

Jason

I have seen Emitor's "Megalook" today even tried it but am not very impressed. The instrument is Heavy (imagine having it on your neck for 35-45 minutes or more). The person there told me that the battery lasts about 45-55 minutes depending on the use and it needs 30 hours for full recharge. I don't see in the manual anywhere saying "True BER", but the salesman told me that it is so. Well I guess am back to looking for something else I guess.

Still thinking of Unaohm T40Plus and Rover PDA-7. Any more suggestions?

Prodig-5 here costs 2600 Euro and Emitor's Megalook 2000 Euro.

I am not sure about Prodig-5! Has anyone tried it? What about the colour LCD? We have a lot of sun here! I think colour LCD'S have problem in the light. I don't know though, havent tried it!

in european terms, the Megalook is like a Vauxhall and the Prodig05 is like a BMW.... Well that's my opinion, they really are chalk and cheese... can you imagine only doing an hour measuring and then sitting around for 30 hours yo charge up...

If you want light, cheap, realiable with true BER and spectrum analyser then go the T40.... The Prodig-5 has many more functions .

Prodig-5 here costs 2600 Euro and Emitor's Megalook 2000 Euro.

I am not sure about Prodig-5! Has anyone tried it? What about the colour LCD? We have a lot of sun here! I think colour LCD'S have problem in the light. I don't know though, havent tried it!

Sorry. Just did a quick search on google which showed Emitor for about € 2700 before making my comment about the price.

The Prodig-5 does satellite and terrestrial, is that what you want? Otherwise, I am with Beeblebrox to go for the T-40. Remember the comment regarding display resolution in my reply to your pm.

At 41° S under an ozone hole, the sun here is also bright. I wear a big hat and use this to shade my LCD displays to read them :blink:

For terrestial Digital ,the T40 is perfect as it gives all the required parameters,is easy to hold in one hand and operate all controls.The rubber holster has strap connections at top and bottom and I find when using both neck straps ,it sits at right position to view while holding mast for field tests.

When I first bought T40 I was concerned about after sale service.(as you would be if you spend that much money).I have to confess that T40 has failed and needed repairs but Australian agents Laceys.tv have been VERY FAIR .I recieved software upgrade that had several bugs in it but instead of being fobbed off they listened,informed Unaohm and new upgrade was supplied with all problems fixed.

This sort of service is worth gold.

The T40 has also been upgradable to allow Adaptive Equalizer Response which means it can show all echos (ghosts) and their relative distances.The real benofit is in SFN networks apparently but as I don't have any here I can't comment on its usefulness .It has however been useful in locating strong bounces and given insight into where from.

The point is that Unaohm seem able to improve on their product .

The latest Software upgrade also included CSI measurement .Which I understand is channel state information. This seems to be related to MER reading.

I have not seen this as a useful adition but it is a measurement that some meters have.

My T40 LCD display has suffered as I have neglected manufacterers warnings and exposed it to long periods of intense Mid north Coast sun. BAD BAD BAD.

Having said that ,After two years + ,the display is still easily readable in all lighting conditions but when compared against mates new one ,it was evident of damage.

I now have Unaohm softcase accessory and religiously use and HIDE from sun!

The Prodig-5 with its pretty colour display sure looks tempting but I still love my T40 as a no Bullshit analyzer of digital parameters.

Channel BER

Post viterbi BER

MER

AER

what else do you need

what else do you need

Enhancements I would like to see are: (*)

Ability to store banks of channels - I work with 8 transmitter sites and entering data for the bar graph display specific to a site is a PITA.

RSE has the same step rate for whatever function is being used: eg it is real slow when stepping channels compared with the stepping of presets.

Able to go direct to BER reading from bar graph display/Prmt instead of having to backtrack via MEA. Also a more direct way of going to Prmt for PvBER - toggle function with BER?

If in BER mode, auto revert back to BER if you step across an analogue channel when going through presets.

Auto ATT operates also when in BER mode.

Quicker turn on - about 500mS keypress instead of the current 2S.

*Comments relate to my specific instrument. Haven't upgraded mine yet as haven't got the key code for the download. Maybe Unaohm.it are closed over the holidays.

Good day to all of you!!!

Guys anyone can tell me differences (pros or cons) between Promax Prodig-5 and Rover DM-12Digimax. Their price is nearly the same. Just trying to check all my options.

DM-12Digimax: www.roverinstruments.it

Marc,

I agree with 1thru 4, I find that switching bar graph to ber to PvBer the most time consuming bit of balancing across multiple channels...

is 5 really a good idea as normally you want to get BER's without any attenuation and then manually use the attenuation for margin testing..

I agree 2 seconds is too long for turn on... I've never had problems knocking any buttons on my t40 let alone the power button.... usually I press it for too long when I'm not concentrating and it turns on then off..

I'd also add a simpler way of changing spectrum spans and also a one touch data capture, ie hold the data button for 2 secs and it does a capture... not a big deal but whilst we are listing things that would be useful...

BTW have you played with the RSWT40_05? Just got around to installing it... other than not accepting the old (RSWT40_03) channel database, it's seems a bit nicer and it has the real time function which would be useful in doing a timed Data acquisition must play around with this when I get some time...

Good day to all of you!!!

Guys anyone can tell me differences (pros or cons) between Promax Prodig-5 and Rover DM-12Digimax. Their price is nearly the same. Just trying to check all my options.

DM-12Digimax: www.roverinstruments.it

5.2kgs v's 2Kgs

Are the Cofdm / MPEG decoder cards included in te price of the Rover... When I last looked at the Rovers, these card cost extra $$$

DM12A - DIGIMAX: Combined digital TV & SAT analyzer

Frequency range: 47- 2150 MHz,

Demodulated QPSK ,

Demodulated COFDM

MPEG decoder card

Emulated " QAM" built in ,

Power level: 20 - 126 dbµV,

SNR (C/N), bBER, aBER and quality Test:

FAIL-MARGINAL-PASS,

Noise Margin measurement in dB,

LNB: 12, 18, 22 KHz, DiSEqC 1.1 a-b-c-d,

Video pattern generator,

FM Radio,

TV & SAT high definition spectrum, including the SAT POINTING feature,

TV & SATanalog picture/sound & teletext,

(Only level and spectrum measurements for analog SAT)

SYNC area visualization, SYNC pulse and line to line analysis,

filter adjustment feature,

Reflectometer function,

Network ID card with service list display (audio & video PID etc.) included,

99 mixed RADIO-TV-SAT plans

10,000 program memories,

99 mixed Data Loggers available for mixed memory plans and spectrum store function,

PC SMART software for meter memory and measurements storage and handling,

General: 4.5" B/W CRT, RS232 PC interface, 2-3h battery capacity ; weight 5,2 Kg

'd also add a simpler way of changing spectrum spans and also a one touch data capture, ie hold the data button for 2 secs and it does a capture... not a big deal but whilst we are listing things that would be useful...

Beeblebox

I have just had Laceys update my Firmware and It has a new function.

If you press/hold MEA ,it does an AQUIRE DATA on the selected channel.This sounds like the "capture" you're requesting.works on all modes.

Guys about Unaohm T40 Plus.

What are the stadard Accessories that come with the instrument?

What about Optional Accessories?

How do you upgrade this instrument?

Mine came with RS232 cable , Software, Rubber surround and metal case... 240volt and 12bolt charger.

Optional accessories

External battery pack

NIT card (needed for the Adaptive equalisation software)