Hd Gear A Waste Of Money!

Much like melons :D.

Yes; but, melons aren't as future proofed as bananas are. Who knows when melon support will be discontinued, or banana type melon support will be available?

It's all just so up in the air isn't it?! You could be left with your melons just hanging - unsupported into the future: or, take the banana plunge into a future that could be warm and reassuring. :blink:

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't feed the troll.

Feeding is one thing, ignoring is another :blink:

Bananas are a very interesting subject, everyone should know that certain creatures have an aversion to them.

Crossed bananas strike fear into the "hearts" (tiny) of all manner of nasties - ogres, greebles, trolls, and the like. :P

In days of yore the average villager knew this and depended on it for protection, but now - alas - this knowledge has become much less well known. :D

Constantly repeating your troll mantra marks you as nothing but a jerk.....it's only because I'm controversial that others haven't told you to STFU.

Au contraire mon frere...I would have worded that to read ..."Constantly repeating my mantra marks me nothing but a jerk...Only because Im a troll that people are telling me to STFU"

Sort of like Dougies attempt...different words same meaning same result :P

Good post Owen.

Yep primarily because he has technical knowledge to support what he says

My only problem is ...

Uhuh...do tell :blink:

My only problem is that whilst my PC moniter is relatively small{19in}, the PQ on proper 720p and 1080i broadcasts are miles ahead of the very best SDTV on my CRT TV, so regardless of what I'm really seeing,.....at it's best, HD on my PC is stunning.

Nothing new or "controversial" here either....720P or 1080i will always look better than 576i.

To get the best out of your source signal you have to match it with a display that can resolve it. Its useless using a SD CRT to try to compare HD with and visa versa ..people will read that and think what the hell is this forum on about?

Btw, I'm able to compare Foxtels FTA and HDTV FTA at the same time.

And do you have anything revealing to add there?

Unless you have split screen or two identical displays you cannot compare them as an A B....you can look at them both and say yes I like B or A...but you cannot make a proper comparison based on PQ. You dont even have a HD display to compare Foxtel on ...so how?

You could at best say that HDTV FTA is vastly superior to Foxtels FTA version (which is compressed SD)..anything less is defintely misinformation.

FOX8, one of Foxtels better channels PQ wise, also doesnt compare too well against exactly the same program on SD FTA

Do you have any screen caps?

I think this forum would be better served if people were allowed to make decisions based on technical merit and proper testing as a lot of these early adopters have been doing in the past and hopefully will continue to do in the future.

Off the cuff statements based on here-say and not even backed up with personal experience and when debunked to carry on and stubbornly support that opinion doesnt do anyone any good..least of which yourself or your stance.

What you are saying is Foxtels PQ is so lousy on a HD (or any display) that its not worth getting that HD display (if you only want to watch Foxtel.)......OK granted..opinion noted... but instead of being so negative about it and resigning to that fact........join us......focus your repetitive incessant mantra and stubborn energy AGAINST Foxtel and help to achieve better PQ for "the million or so subscibers" out there. Come out of the cave and into the light :P

Foxtels official line is that they havent really heard many complaints regarding PQ.....yeah right :D ....

Help lobby Foxtel to maybe even drop a few rubbish channels if need be so that PQ could marginally improve on the ones we do watch. Oh and more 16:9 content....and......

This whole thread has gone way off the rails.....maybe it should be moved to the Banana Forum :P

:P:P

Fact: Assessing HD quality on a PC monitor is a fundamental error.

Why's that? Editors edit on something. Apple recommends these bad boys (well, they would...), but I'm sure there's others.

What you are saying is Foxtels PQ is so lousy on a HD (or any display) that its not worth getting that HD display (if you only want to watch Foxtel.)......OK granted..opinion noted... but instead of being so negative about it and resigning to that fact........join us......focus your repetitive incessant mantra and stubborn energy AGAINST Foxtel and help to achieve better PQ for "the million or so subscibers" out there. Come out of the cave and into the light

What he said.

Hi forum,

been a member for about a year now and like reading all these forums on different topics.

BUT I agree that some so called high end stuff - is just that - expensive rubbish. And hey look at my current set-up and im not one to skimp on cheapies either.

FUTURE PROOF??? Are you people kidding yourselves??

There are posts in the last few weeks on the 10-12 grand Pio or Pan super duper all bells and whistles Plasma panels notably the 50" plus pure HD ones, and some posts are saying yep im going to shell out $10 grand plus to "future proof" myself for 10 years - GET real!

When i bought my Denon dvd player it was $3999 retail (got it for about 2500 in the package) and back then about 3 years ago it was top of the line (only out in Australia 3 months) and would future proof me until i was 105 - not that i believed the salesman then and you people shouldnt believe them now!!

In the year 2017 ie 10 years there will be the MCDI 60" full DIPOL super perplex HDDP panels and all your blueray/HDDVD will not play at the resolution of 35000x19000.

WHAT THE CRAP DOES THAT MEAN? - NOTHING!!!

i just made it up because in the industry you all follow (myself included) you cannot possibly future proof yourself. (AND HEY IM NO TECH HEAD I PAID 2 BLOKES FOR 2 DAYS AT 60 BUCKS AN HOUR TO SET MY SYSTEM UP)

I paid heaps for my system (relative to my income only mind you!) i am happy yet i know in 10 years time i couldnt sell it on ebay for $15 dollars and only then if i incuded delivery and setup!

I understand that and live with it.

FUTURE PROOF??? Get serious - things are outdated by the time you set them up in your homes there is the next BIG THING already in testing and development.

So please - great forum and some of you are seriously knowlegable on this stuff that you must read manuals and setup guides in your sleep but take a step back from your greater knowledge than myself on this stuff and ask yourself what was available in 1996 compared to today???

There is no way you can predict what will be the new TOP standard in 2017 10 years from now. Fine pay your 10 grand future proof panel and fantastic - you will have bought a top of the line (i hope for that kind of cash!) panel and hopefully it WILL last 10 years - or at least untill the 5 year extended warranty runs out.

So peoples relax. Get the best you can afford and live with the fact you will want something better by the time the extended warranty expires!

Why? because in this game like many others - no one can predict the future

Enjoy those panels - whether you bought them for 1999 or 19,999~!

Sean :blink:

There strong words, but I agree with you.

Anyone who is interested in high quality will want to replace their display inside 5 years, and more likely inside 2 years.

My existing 1080 HD display is just on 2 years old and is about to be replaced.

I expect to keep the new set no more then 2 years, as technology will overtake it.

Why's that? Editors edit on something. Apple recommends these bad boys (well, they would...), but I'm sure there's others.

What he said.

Because they are capable of 1920x1080 native pixel resolution, which means that there's no scaling going on, and because they're digital progressive LCD there's not the same interlacing issues that one cops on CRT (as long as the software media player is de-interlace capable for 1080i playback... Windows Media player Classic, VLC and WinDVD6 have proven pretty good for me), plus the connectivity options to other editing devices for monitoring the whole process makes them more convenient than a much larger LCD HDTV which usually has a large-ish external AV connection module. Not really an easy fit into a PC/Mac video editing environment, where viewing distances are also much less than you'd generally want for big screen HDTVs! :blink:

It's horses for courses really. Editing of a lot of HD is done on PC/MAC in computer specific environments, rather than in a home theatre environment, but it's just as easy to dispense with displays that are as expensive as the Apple Cinema displays are, simply by connecting a PC/Mac to a 10/100 network capable High Definition media player or Xbox360, and thence into a large screen HDTV via component, DVI or HDMI.

That way; it's possible to not only edit HD using smaller more affordable LCD panels or 19"-21" CRT graphics displays - adjusting colour, adding effects and titles, doing any 3D stuff and generally being creative... all the while previewing the result with the limitations of CRT and smaller LCD monitors in mind, before watching the results of the final edit in whatever form - from 1080p to 576i depending on what is required or desired.

That's how I deal with my own HD/HDV material that I shoot with my 3 HDV camcorders or record with my DVB-t PCI HD tuner card.

Given that there's heaps of computer users out there who don't even know how to adjust their screen resolution - let alone go above 1024x768 when they do know how to, because "I like that size of icon and text...", even when they've got 19"-21" monitors; there's little likelihood that many will figure out that at 1024x768 any HD format is going to be seriously scaled in order to fit on screen.

You need to be running 1280x1024 at least on a 4:3 monitor of any flavour to be able to view even 720p correctly, without scaling artifacts or mosquito noise and posterisation effects caused by the compromises that must be made when such serious load is put on the processor, hard disk array and the graphics card rendering engine by decompressing a HD MPEG2 stream.

Bottom line is there's lots of ways to get into HD without having to sell your children; but it takes getting off the ole caboose, checking out the options in the flesh and shuffling the funds for a little while if necessary.

The problem is the folks who don't ask themselves seriously enough beforehand, whether they have the right circumstances to warrant going HD.

That's why it's not such an easy thing to cope with the same broken record bleating from PanaSung. Why we have to be privy to his tormented mental anguish at wanting to go HD but trying to justify staying SD because of Foxtel's PQ, is beyond me.

It's like some bizarre 'Agony Aunt' issue being played out on a forum where most of the users/posters have already decided that HD is a reasonable deal and affordable enough to justify foregoing Foxtel's PQ issues... and if they haven't liked how Foxtel's PQ looked on certain HDTV's they've stayed SD.

And that's why there's this whole 'Banana' thing going on... :D

That's why it's not such an easy thing to cope with the same broken record bleating from PanaSung. Why we have to be privy to his tormented mental anguish at wanting to go HD but trying to justify staying SD because of Foxtel's PQ, is beyond me.

Please don't feed the troll! :D:blink:

SD and ED are the same resolution (ed is what the americans call it) i think you guys mean the difference between sd/ed and hd screens and as mentioned above theirs no sd 50" panels.

If you cant see the differance between The pana 50" ED and the 50" sd from 5m then you cant see well enough to have an opinion on HD panels.Fwits...

I think we can see who the "fwit" is :blink:

SD and ED are the same resolution (ed is what the americans call it) i think you guys mean the difference between sd/ed and hd screens and as mentioned above theirs no sd 50" panels.

I think we can see who the "fwit" is :blink:

ROLF (Santa©)

Banana is the common name used for herbaceous, cultigenic plants in the genus Musa, which, because of their size and structure, are often mistaken for trees. Bananas are cultivated for their fruit which bear the same name, and to a lesser extent for the production of fibre and as ornamental plants. Bananas are of the family Musaceae. Globally, bananas rank fourth after rice, wheat and maize in human consumption; they are grown in 130 countries worldwide, more than any other fruit crop. Bananas are native to tropical southeastern Asia but are widely cultivated in tropical regions. In popular culture and commerce, "banana" usually refers to the soft, sweet "dessert" bananas that are usually eaten raw. The bananas from a group of cultivars with firmer, starchier fruit, generally used in cooking rather than eaten raw, are typically known as plantains. Bananas may also be dried and ground into banana flour.

There you go - now you learned something new - not some old churned up been said a hundred times load of old - bananas :blink:

The bananas from a group of cultivars with firmer, starchier fruit, generally used in cooking rather than eaten raw, are typically known as plantains.

mmmm plantains. Deep fried plantains are infinitely better than chips IMHO. Haven't found any in Australia yet. Does anyone know if they are grown and sold here?

mmmm plantains. Deep fried plantains are infinitely better than chips IMHO. Haven't found any in Australia yet. Does anyone know if they are grown and sold here?

"PLANTAGINACEAE - Plantain Family

Mostly annual or perennial herbs, this cosmopolitan family contains about 270 species. There are five species native to Western Australia, and four naturalised ones. Plantago(plantains) are annual or perennial herbs whose leaves have prominent longitudinal veins and grow in a basal rosette. The inflorescence is a spike of tiny, wind-pollinated flowers. There are several native species, mostly found in arid areas. In disturbed sites, suspect the introduced species. P. coronopus(buckshorn plantain) is a hairy annual with linear leaves, often with numerous narrow lobes. It flowers in early summer. A weed of disturbed ground, including saline areas, from Geraldton to Ravensthorpe. Native to Europe."

"PLANTAGINACEAE - Plantain Family

Mostly annual or perennial herbs, this cosmopolitan family contains about 270 species. There are five species native to Western Australia, and four naturalised ones. Plantago(plantains) are annual or perennial herbs whose leaves have prominent longitudinal veins and grow in a basal rosette. The inflorescence is a spike of tiny, wind-pollinated flowers. There are several native species, mostly found in arid areas. In disturbed sites, suspect the introduced species. P. coronopus(buckshorn plantain) is a hairy annual with linear leaves, often with numerous narrow lobes. It flowers in early summer. A weed of disturbed ground, including saline areas, from Geraldton to Ravensthorpe. Native to Europe."

Thank you for providing enlightenment to the great unwashed.

Great unwashed what?

The Big Banana at Coffs harbour?

I've never been to Coffs Harbour so I cant confirm. However, I will now probably have to go on a pilgrimage to this holy shrine someday in my quest to reach Banana nirvana .

No, the Great Unwashed = the general public (according to my music history teacher back in my college days in Canada)