Hd Gear A Waste Of Money!

Hell - it still is illegal to record a television show!

Actually it just became legal to record a TV show, but you can't keep it after it has been watched. It is not clear if it is 1 viewing by 1 person then delete, or all the family then delet or what... as usual the govt makes laws that they think are sooo clever but in fact turn out to be full of loopholes anyway.

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back on-topic.

I currently really don't care much for HD - might change when I updgrade my Plasma from a 37" to a 50" Panasonic in the next couple of weeks.

SD FTA, DVD and the good quality foxtel channels are more than good enough for my eyes.

Content and usability (such as the excellent foxtel IQ) give me far more enjoyment than ultimate PQ - but hey , I'm definitely in the minority around here.

Good post Doug, although reading between the lines, there is one observation I'd like to make.

The fact that you have a 37" plasma is an indicator you've had it for a long time (maybe 3 years+). I bet it was at least an additional $5k for HD at the time. And with little HD content available back then, there'd have been little justification for HD.

The crux of the argument now, as it has always been, comes down to the balance of source resolution (and quality), screen size and viewing distance.

I suspect in the average home, over the last 3 years, only 2 of these has changed. There is greater HD content available now, and we are tending towards bigger screens.

There will never be a universal argument that says everyone should have HD, but I reckon that anyone considering a display of 40" or greater is still best off considering the extra $500 or so to go HD. Of course having considered it they have every right, and it's nobody elses' business if they do decide, to go SD.

Yes I did. Phone rang just as I hit return. Only just got back to it. Geez, work is distracting.

Sounds like you work with the door shut. :blink:

There will never be a universal argument that says everyone should have HD, but I reckon that anyone considering a display of 40" or greater is still best off considering the extra $500 or so to go HD. Of course having considered it they have every right, and it's nobody elses' business if they do decide, to go SD.

Time will ultimately settle the arguement between SD and HD. My bet is that before too long all new panels sold will be HD. Then I suppose the arguement will revolve around which particular high definition.

Sounds like you work with the door shut. :blink:

Time will ultimately settle the arguement between SD and HD. My bet is that before too long all new panels sold will be HD. Then I suppose the arguement will revolve around which particular high definition.

The 50" Panasonic panel I am looking at buying has a built-in HD tuner - so no choice or extra $500 to go HD.

Sounds like you work with the door shut. :D

Na, it will just start all over again with 720p-768p supporters against the “True HD” 1080p supporters. :blink:

Na, it will just start all over again with 720p-768p supporters against the “True HD” 1080p supporters. :D

I can't believe this thread is still alive!

Has anyone ever seen a technology go backwards in features/specs ? No. We will always see a trend towards bigger & better. So, eventually, SD will go the way of the dinosour. Then, a newer & better HD will be developed & what we currently call HD will become the SD of tomorrow!

So...... What was my point again...... :blink:

Yes! I have no bananas, no bananas today. :D

Graeme :P

But they are so cheap now!

Saw some at my local Wollies for $1.98/Kg today.......

Yes you could wait for the new stock with brighter yellows and smaller black spots but then you would not get to enjoy the flavour now!

If you keep waiting for better bananas you'll never get anything and be left with nothing better than the dried apricots you have now! :blink:

I have problems with my bananas.....specifically colour calibration.

No two bananas are quite the same. I've now run out of custom display settings on my remote as I have too many custom calibrations for each unique banana.

I try to get them with a slight green tinge as I find that these last longer before needing recalibration.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

Fortunately bananas are cheap now so I upgrade to the latest model twice a week.