Samsung La40f71bx And La46f71bx

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys

I called Samsung Service Center and asked for firmware update. And they fixed the appointment on Tuesday .. They will come and install the update...

Waiting for it :blink:

Cheers

Hi Guys

I called Samsung Service Center and asked for firmware update. And they fixed the appointment on Tuesday .. They will come and install the update...

Waiting for it :blink:

Cheers

Awesome I emailed Win at the start of the week and still haven't heard back. Has anyone else managed to get an upgrade booked through emailing Win or is everyone just calling the Service Center

Hey guys, picked up my 46" yesterday! It was a huge surprise getting the call from JB as they told me last week that it would arrive about 26-28 Feb. I guess some are starting to trickle in, so watch out for yours soon.

This thing is fantastic, apart from a red push which I'm trying to resolve. Running through vga from my media center lappy at the moment and it looks great with the 1:1 mapping.

I'm getting a Samsung tech to come and install the firmware Monday morning. Some notes about that:

I rang Samsung Electronics and asked to speak to Win Aung as Pendulum suggested. The guy on the phone did not sound at all happy that I asked for Win by name. He went on to advise that all Samsung tech centers ((find your nearest one here http://www.samsung.com.au/servicelocator.asp) should know about the update. If they don't yet know, it's available to them to download from Samsung's tech-only site.

So there is NO need to call Samsung electronics. Just call your local Samsung tech center and they can come do it IN YOUR HOME. One place I rang told me they needed to take my tv to their workshop. I told them no.. it's an easy procedure they can do on site. They're coming to pick it up, they may aswell do it here. They didn't budge so I rang someone else who can do it this Monday.

If anyone has some ideas on how to resolve the red push on this tv I'd like to hear it. I've read it's a problem on other forums but haven't had much time to look into it yet.

Awesome I emailed Win at the start of the week and still haven't heard back. Has anyone else managed to get an upgrade booked through emailing Win or is everyone just calling the Service Center

To anyone trying to contact Win for the firmware update, please stop. Read my post above for more details.

Edited by tonehenge

I picked up my 46 inch on Monday, i ordered it the week before Christmas!!

I am a little bit disapointed with one area though. The far left and right say 1/6 of the screen is much brighter than the centre, particularly the top left hand corner. You cant really notice it unless it is dark and the screen is black though. There are also a few blotchy bright patches on the screen that i can see when it is dark and the screen is black. It is very much like the pictures i have seen of the Sony backlight bleed problems, but not as bad as what i have seen posted on this forum. Is this normal or should i get someone to come out and look at it?

Hey Tonehenge you got yours from Marion right...they rang me up i think it was yesterday and told me that my TV was there. I said sweet so i can just come in and pick it up, they said yes. Then i asked if it mattered that i had already picked mine up on Monday.......damn it i shouldn't of said anything! Guess that one was yours.

When its dark and you have a black screen, does you see any backlight bleed or is your screen perfectly black???

Also please let me know who you called so i can call them too.

I picked up my 46 inch on Monday, i ordered it the week before Christmas!!

I am a little bit disapointed with one area though. The far left and right say 1/6 of the screen is much brighter than the centre, particularly the top left hand corner. You cant really notice it unless it is dark and the screen is black though. There are also a few blotchy bright patches on the screen that i can see when it is dark and the screen is black. It is very much like the pictures i have seen of the Sony backlight bleed problems, but not as bad as what i have seen posted on this forum. Is this normal or should i get someone to come out and look at it?

Yer mine has the same thing. My left bottom corner is a bit brighter and there are some blotches as well which you can see in a dark room and when the tv is projecting a black image. A good example is the windows xp default screensaver. I've just resigned to the fact that this is an lcd issue which won't be fixed until there is a different backlight solution like led that comes out. There are reports of cloudiness from all makes and models. Sony, Sharp, Samsung etc.

I wonder if there truly are cloud free lcd's out there. If people claiming theirs has no clouds know what to look for. Maybe others have different settings, like brightness, contrast, energy saving (on high?). Have ppl really been that lucky to exchange their cloudy set for one that has absolutely none? I don't want to bother exchanging mine when the replacement will likely have the same issue. It's not like there's an abundance of these sets out there to swap with at the moment! You'd likely be waiting for AGES.

At the moment I can only see it when the screensaver is on. You might be able to notice it a little with dark scenes, but I guess we all have to make concessions with any tv we buy in today's market. Bring on SED's and laser tv?

Hey Tonehenge you got yours from Marion right...they rang me up i think it was yesterday and told me that my TV was there. I said sweet so i can just come in and pick it up, they said yes. Then i asked if it mattered that i had already picked mine up on Monday.......damn it i shouldn't of said anything! Guess that one was yours.

When its dark and you have a black screen, does you see any backlight bleed or is your screen perfectly black???

Also please let me know who you called so i can call them too.

omg hahaha. Wow, that is bad form from JB! Thanks for your honesty! :blink: Although you wouldn't have had a clean receipt without "picked up" stamped on it =) I thought it was a little strange that when they called me yesterday they asked "you haven't got your tv yet have you?".. to which I responded "umm, nope!"

For cloudiness, see my above post.

I'm booked with Total Care Services 8351 1044. Stag were the ones who insisted they take my tv to their workshop! I also rang Electronic Audio Workshop 82932198, but I cancelled with them as they didn't seem to know about the udpate. When I cancelled the lady said the tech had just downloaded the update, so they'd be a good one too.

Did you notice your set has a red push to it? Reds are too bright and the picture generally is too red?

Edited by tonehenge

This thing is fantastic, apart from a red push which I'm trying to resolve. Running through vga from my media center lappy at the moment and it looks great with the 1:1 mapping.

Have you tried playing any 720P or 1080P WMV or QT videos on there from the PC?

Have you tried playing any 720P or 1080P WMV or QT videos on there from the PC?

I've run some xvid and 720p mkv videos. Also ran one 1080p QT trailer. They all look great. Just the red push like I mentioned. A friend is coming over this weekend with some 1080 movies he's downloaded. I'll have to try via hdmi once the firmware has been applied. Will ask the Samsung tech about adjusting the colours too. I think there's a service menu with extra functions you can get to which has more options for colour adjustment. I'll also have to play with nvidia colour adjustments.

I've run some xvid and 720p mkv videos. Also ran one 1080p QT trailer. They all look great. Just the red push like I mentioned. A friend is coming over this weekend with some 1080 movies he's downloaded. I'll have to try via hdmi once the firmware has been applied. Will ask the Samsung tech about adjusting the colours too. I think there's a service menu with extra functions you can get to which has more options for colour adjustment. I'll also have to play with nvidia colour adjustments.

I'm fairly certain you can adjust the individual colours in the normal menu, from memory its the option after Colour Tone. Unfortunately I'm not at home or Id have a look for you.

I'm fairly certain you can adjust the individual colours in the normal menu, from memory its the option after Colour Tone. Unfortunately I'm not at home or Id have a look for you.

I found colour management where you can adjust individual colour brightness and contrast. I tried playing with the red brightness and contrast but couldn't come up with anything satisfactory. The tint menu item was greyed out as I don't think it works under certain inputs.

It's quite noticeable when I can compare it to my laptop and crt monitor which are right next to it.

I found colour management where you can adjust individual colour brightness and contrast. I tried playing with the red brightness and contrast but couldn't come up with anything satisfactory. The tint menu item was greyed out as I don't think it works under certain inputs.

I tried to calibrate mine with the diag DVD I have (which comes with the plastic colour swabs that you look through etc) but couldn't get it right. Gave up assuming I didn't know what I was doing.

I'm less worried about the colours and more about the lack of definition in dark areas.

Has anyone done a close look for dead pixels?

Zilch.

I tried to calibrate mine with the diag DVD I have (which comes with the plastic colour swabs that you look through etc) but couldn't get it right. Gave up assuming I didn't know what I was doing.

I'm less worried about the colours and more about the lack of definition in dark areas.

Zilch.

Have you tried running http://udpix.free.fr/ ??

Just thought I would let you know that I managed to get the Australian firmware update forwarded to me from a tech. :D

Now don't get too excited. First of all you need the right cable to do it yourself and second of all I was advised that if you do it yourself then Samsung will not warranty any problems that you may cause.

I have successfully applied the firmware update myself and it now has the "JustScan" option for HDMI inputs for 1:1 pixel mapping. I would only recommend doing it yourself if you are very confident. If you PM me with your email address I am happy to email the files to you provided you understand that I take no responsibility whatsoever for using the update without a Samsung tech rep.

The reason I did it myself was because the service centres in Adelaide either 1. had not heard of the update, 2. had never applied a firmware update or 3. wanted to take the LCD away to do the update. I was more confident doing it myself.

Thanks to Win for providing this firmware update to Australian customers. Remember that I recommend using a Samsung Tech Rep unless you are absolutely confident that you would rather do it yourself and you are willing to risk your warranty !!! :blink:

On another note has anyone got a Samsung Blue Ray player (BD-P1000) hooked up to their Samsung yet? I managed to get one for $799 which I know is probably still too much as I am jumping in too early but I had the TV with 1080P so I couldn't resist.

Anyway I have a problem in that I cant get it to work with the HDMI connection at 1080P. The Samsung player automatically detects the TV's highest supported res correctly at 1080P but after the player boots I can the blue samsung blue screen then a few bars go up and then it just start flashing between blue snow and a black screen.

I am pretty sure it looks like a HDCP handshaking error in that I think the HDCP is incorrectly kicking in and causing the flashing snow an black screen.

I have searched the US and UK forums without being able to find anyone with the same issue although interestingly this problem is also caused by the new PS3.

I have tried 3 different cables and both HDMI connections. The component connection works and I have used that but it only provides 1080i and stops the player from upscaling normal DVD's. I have checked all settings in the menus of the player and the TV and tried all combinations without success.

I will contact Samsung on Monday and check out JBHIFI tomorrow to see their connection setup to see if they are in fact using HDMI with 1080P.

I am pretty sure that our sets are matched for this blue ray player so I was confident it would work. Show you that you should never assume things are always going to work.

Can anyone here help with this? :blink:

justifier.....maybe the new firmware stuffed up something on your set???? I have had mine running @ 1080P through HDMI with PS3 with no problems at all......

Actually there is one small problem, the contrast over HDMI is way out. The cross media bar screen background on my PS3 is grey over HDMI, and black over component. Someone else told me it may be expecting PC level inputs and just to adjust the contrast on the HDMI connection input. But this doesnt seem to make sense since in the manual it says you will get a blank screen if you connect your PC up to the HDMI input, so Samsung arent expecting you to use a PC on the HDMI input??

justifier.....maybe the new firmware stuffed up something on your set???? I have had mine running @ 1080P through HDMI with PS3 with no problems at all......

Thanks for your input markgts. I haven't tried a PS3 yet I was referring to the Samsung Blueray player but the concept of 1080P over HDMI with HDCP is the same. I am not sure how the PS3 handles HDCP with HDCP protected movies or games.

The firmware just gives 1:1 pixel mapping over HDMI (which also works with the PC) so I don't think it should effect the HDCP but I will follow it up with Samsung.

Is anyone else using a Samsung Blueray player with the set yet over HDMI with 1080P?

I havent tried blu ray movies and as far as i am aware games to not have HDCP on them, so maybe it does have something to do with HDCP? Pretty sad if you cant get a SAMSUNG Blu Ray 1080P Player to play on a SAMSUNG 1080P panel!!

Zilch.

Well, I gave up waiting for Digital Centre in St Albans to get my screen that I ordered and demanded my deposit back. I picked one up from JB Hi-fi Chadstone immediately for $3100 but he said Samsung Australia are out until the end of March. They've just been so well priced for what they can do. He also said it had the new firmware but I don't think it's true.

I've had no problems with the HDMI showing my PC image using the HDMI output of my EN7600GT card. But there definitely seems to be some sort of pixel mis-mapping. If I switch the card to Native display mode the Windows Task bar is off the screen and all the borders are out. I have to switch the card to Underscan mode and maually define the edges of the image with the nVidia overscan compensation tool.

Then when you look at the resolution the card is outputting is shows 1808 x 1004. Very strange.

I've had problems with colour saturation and even when using the Avia Home Theater DVD for calibrating the colours, the screen seems to change the saturation and brightness depending on what is being displayed.

Also, text has a fuzzy glow about it instead of razor sharp 1:1. Even my 12-month old LG 37" 1366x768 LCD had the choice of setting the HDMI input to PC or DTV mode. C'mon, Samsung. This surely couldn't have been difficult.

I've now had the unit on for about 2 hours and the brightness and saturation seemed to have settled and looks quite nice. But I think when I turn everything off for the evening it will all go back to crap when I turn it on again tomorrow.

I'm definitely going to ring Samsung and get the firmware upgrade just so I can get 1:1, even though it is working in a manner of speaking.

The only 1080P stuff I have put on it so far are Quicktime Trailers and WMVHD Trailers and they look absolutely superb and some actually look better than the Samsung demo DVD with the Swiss Watch Makers. Check out any of the IMAX trailers!

Can anyone tell me where I can download some other 1080p stuff?

So only a few gripes, but still not looking back, too much.

Edited by JasonInMelbourne

Ok just had a tech come to install the Justscan firmware. Works as advertised, so 1:1 via hdmi is mine!

The tv remebers the justscan setting via hdmi when you turn it off (standby mode) and back on. It also remembers it when changing between inputs.

1080p test patterns look fine. It's true 1:1.

I called up Samsung tech support and advise of the problem.

The tech told me that there is a fix for the problem and refer me to the local service locator.

The Customer support tech than insist to me I shouldnt use the HDMI cable when connecting the PC to the LCD TV.

So what if I want better quality pictures throught HDMI. Go figure

Ok just had a tech come to install the Justscan firmware. Works as advertised, so 1:1 via hdmi is mine!

The tv remebers the justscan setting via hdmi when you turn it off (standby mode) and back on. It also remembers it when changing between inputs.

1080p test patterns look fine. It's true 1:1.

You lucky bugger.

Just spoke to Sound and Vision Service in Blackburn, Melbourne (so called Gold Service Centre) to make a booking for someone to come out to apply the firmware and Liz says there isn't one for the LA40F71BX but there is for the 46". I said I even had the firmware, application program and instructions from Samsung UK for this (thanks Pendulum/Scott) but she still had to confirm with Win in Sydney.

We'll see what she comes back with.

Anyone else in Melbourne had the latest firmware applied to their LA40F71BX or LA46F71BX? If so, who did you use? I'll go to them if this Sound and Vision Service mob doesn't come up with the goods.

You lucky bugger.

Just spoke to Sound and Vision Service in Blackburn, Melbourne (so called Gold Service Centre) to make a booking for someone to come out to apply the firmware and Liz says there isn't one for the LA40F71BX but there is for the 46". I said I even had the firmware, application program and instructions from Samsung UK for this (thanks Pendulum/Scott) but she still had to confirm with Win in Sydney.

We'll see what she comes back with.

Anyone else in Melbourne had the latest firmware applied to their LA40F71BX or LA46F71BX? If so, who did you use? I'll go to them if this Sound and Vision Service mob doesn't come up with the goods.

The firmware applies to both models. I have the Australian Firmware from Win and did it myself. (please refer to my previous post re warnings doing this).

Beware the UK firmware disables a component input because they use Scart over there.

I am in Adelaide so I cant recommend a service centre. All the service centres I contacted here gave me no confidence whatsoever. Some even insisted on taking the tv back to their workshop. :blink:

The firmware applies to both models. I have the Australian Firmware from Win and did it myself. (please refer to my previous post re warnings doing this).

Beware the UK firmware disables a component input because they use Scart over there.

I am in Adelaide so I cant recommend a service centre. All the service centres I contacted here gave me no confidence whatsoever. Some even insisted on taking the tv back to their workshop. :blink:

G'day Justifier,

I still haven't heard from Audio and Vision Service, but I'll give them another buzz before the day is out. In the meantime are you able to make available on this forum the application software and firmware you were given? Also, can you describe the cable you used and/or where you got it from?

Taa, Mate.

G'day Justifier,

I still haven't heard from Audio and Vision Service, but I'll give them another buzz before the day is out. In the meantime are you able to make available on this forum the application software and firmware you were given? Also, can you describe the cable you used and/or where you got it from?

Taa, Mate.

Hi Jason,

I am reluctant to make the firmware available to everyone on the forum due to the fact that it was provided to me by Win Aung (Samsung Enigineer) for personal use and with a warning that any probelms caused by loading the firmware myself would not be warrantied by Samsung.

However, if you PM me with your email address I will send it to you provided you agree not to forward it to other people without stipulating that problems caused by its use will not be warrantied by Samsung.

The cable I purchased from the following link:

dcables

Cable arrived within 5 working days.

You will need a serial port on your computer to use this cable or you can use a USB to serial adapter with this serial cable if you do not.

Remember I take no responsibility whatsoever for using the firmware on your TV but I can say that I have applied it to mine without any problems.

Justifier.

Just an update for anyone else who updated to the UK JustScan firmware as I Did. I've now upgraded again to the Australian JustScan firmware without issue and everything works as the UK one did with the good exception that both component inputs now work like they should :blink:

Thanks to all involved in making this update a reality and to all those who were willing to share both the firmwares and information :D

Just an update for anyone else who updated to the UK JustScan firmware as I Did. I've now upgraded again to the Australian JustScan firmware without issue and everything works as the UK one did with the good exception that both component inputs now work like they should :blink:

Thanks to all involved in making this update a reality and to all those who were willing to share both the firmwares and information :D

Called local Samsung service centre regarding the JustScan firmware upgrade, they noted down the serial no and other details, they are heavily booked at the moment and they will call as soon as they find available time. Looking forward to it.

Hi

They came to my house and took my tv to fix it ..

So i'm waiting

tOOK YOUR tv, wHAT THE fRACK :blink:

i DON'T WANT NOONE TAKEING MY 4 GRAND tV noWHERE.

Can somone tell me what this firmware fixes. I know it does the 1:1 Pixel mapping, but does it fix the Picture quality, ect. I have noticed people say the Picture is fuzzy and not crisp when you conected it to a PC. I would like crisp as its an LCD, and i woudl be using it to type this in from mY HTPC setup so crisp woudl be good :D

Thanks for any info...

Byes.

tOOK YOUR tv, wHAT THE fRACK :blink:

i DON'T WANT NOONE TAKEING MY 4 GRAND tV noWHERE.

Can somone tell me what this firmware fixes. I know it does the 1:1 Pixel mapping, but does it fix the Picture quality, ect. I have noticed people say the Picture is fuzzy and not crisp when you conected it to a PC. I would like crisp as its an LCD, and i woudl be using it to type this in from mY HTPC setup so crisp woudl be good :D

Thanks for any info...

Byes.

The update not hard to do. I dont see why they need to take ur screen away.

What a hassle.

I have it over VGA and its crisp as!

Picture looks good over vga, not as good as HDMI.

The pictures look abit washed out in VGA.

I'm sure over HDMI it would look better but with only having a VGA output on my vid card i'm sure its not too bad haha i'm quite happy but component looks great wiht my the xbox (not 360). so quite happy with it all!

Called local Samsung service centre regarding the JustScan firmware upgrade, they noted down the serial no and other details, they are heavily booked at the moment and they will call as soon as they find available time. Looking forward to it.

I'm in the same boat. Given my details out yesterday. Waiting to confirm a date/time.

Edited by ritual44
Hi

They came to my house and took my tv to fix it ..

So i'm waiting

If anyone is told they need to have their tv taken away just to apply a bloody firmware, don't listen to them. Tell them they do it in home or nothing. If they don't budge, simply call someone else who will. That's what I did. Taking it away is completely retarded. It's more expensive for them and more of a hassle for you.

Actually, they get re-imbursed by Samsung for the job. If they get paid for the time taken, I wonder if they want to take it away so it takes them longer to do and they get paid more?

I called several Samsung service centres and they're either booked out til mid-march, or keep making excuses and delaying the service. I'm really annoyed, since the screen is just sitting there - patience is not really possible when you can't even get a date booked in.

I can't even PM Justifier, so I'm wondering if there's anybody in Sydney with the firmware and cable? Perhaps we could arrange something?

Hi.

I am tempted to buy the LA40F71BX model next week at JB hifi. I was quoted $3100 for it (but will price match if I can find it cheaper). I am also tempted to buy the Samsung Blu-ray player.

I have a few questions.

Does the TV suffer from bright patches? I have a LG LCD that I bought in May 06 (37") and whenever I watch DVD's in the dark, I notice heaps of bright patches all over the screen. Tech's have told me this is normal for LCD TV's as it has something to do with the bulbs at the back.

My LG also has an issue with anime/cartoon DVD's. The background would constantly flicker and lines/bars would appear.

Does the Samsung suffer from any known problems/issues? I am just being overly caustious as the LG LCD TV has made the last 8.5 months a rather bad experience in regards to LCD TV's.

Is it worth paying $1400 for a blu ray player? ATM I have a Panasonic DVD player that uses HDMI (cost me @$500 back in Dec 05) and apparently this upscales. Will the blu-ray make normal DVD's look even better?

This is the model DVD player I have atm

Is the blu-ray player region free? JB told me that there was a way to unlock the regions but said he couldnt work it out :blink:

ATM it would mainly be used for Xbox 360 games as well as normal DVD's, but no doubt I will make the upgrade to blu-ray eventually, so I am thinking a 1080p TV is the way to go.

PS..Harvey Nornam told me today that a newer model LCD is due out in March. Is this true?

EDIT: Does the F model TV do 12.8 billion colours like the R model??

This may sound weird but how do I get the above DVD player to play either 720p or 1080i? I can only seem to get it in 480p or 576p :/