Samsung La40f71bx And La46f71bx

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

sorry to hijack this thread- but I can't seem to start a new thread- I get an error permission not allowed message.

anyhow, I settled for the Samsung LA40 S71bx.

Using my LOTR Special Extended Edition DVD - I got these results on the Progressive Scan component slot.

At 16:4- the screen was way squashed. At zoom it was ok. But the picture quality was inferior- not sharp.

I tried it on the 2nd socket, the picture quality somehow improved. It was more sharper- But I noticed a slight lag. Its barely noticeable but after looking at it for a minute - it tires my eyes out.

However using it in PC mode I get glorious life like responses.... its simply beautiful, sharp, smooth etc...

Can someone help me - or is it cos I'm using the Samsung HT-TQ22 DVD player?

sorry to hijack this thread- but I can't seem to start a new thread- I get an error permission not allowed message.

Go to this thread to see why.

Using my LOTR Special Extended Edition DVD - I got these results on the Progressive Scan component slot.

At 16:4- the screen was way squashed. At zoom it was ok. But the picture quality was inferior- not sharp.

I tried it on the 2nd socket, the picture quality somehow improved. It was more sharper- But I noticed a slight lag. Its barely noticeable but after looking at it for a minute - it tires my eyes out.

However using it in PC mode I get glorious life like responses.... its simply beautiful, sharp, smooth etc...

Can someone help me - or is it cos I'm using the Samsung HT-TQ22 DVD player?

Is the DVD player set to output 16:9? (most likely cause is that it is set at 4:3)

Remember that there will be black bars top and bottom for most cinema based material.

Is this what you got or was the image squashed as well?

Zoom will rescale the image to a lower resolution and discard the material on either side, thus the image is poor quality because there is less info spread over a larger area.

I'm finally shopping for HD TV set --

and I've settled on LCD over Plasma for the TV set (no, I won't get into the argument, I just like LCD better OK? - and maybe LCD will win over plasma in the longer term :D

I'm a girl, so not into that guy-thing of the "size" issue in a super-huge way,

so 40" or 42" would suit my living room just right. (I currently have a 5-yr old CRT Loewe 81cm widescreen)

and as much I have been buying a lot of Panasonic in recent times, eg for my DVR & Audio system in the last 12 months -- I cant find a matching Panasonic LCD that I like - Panny don't seem to make LCDs larger than bedroom/study size.

I haven't gone digital free-to-air yet, so don't have a digital tuner STB, but at first - I preferred the idea of a separate STB .... but.... hmmmmmm.... that would make three STBs at a minimum-before I even connect up the DVR (and the rest....*sigh*) ( ie Foxtel box, TransACT Cable TV box, plus the possible new digital STB - one too many methinx)..

so did eventually and grudgingly look more at the integrated tuner models....

I liked the latest models of the Samsung R -series (with in-built tuner) - Samsung 40" - LA40R71BDX

and I've seen a few around $3K, with a few around the $2,220-2500 mark as factory seconds, or online auctions ---

only thing I was concerned about was the connections - the specs say one HDMI which is nice, but only two component? Is that enough? I do have extras on my Panny AV Receiver SA-HT 17 which I could use.

The Sony Bravia has oodles more connections, but seems to have lower quality specs on resolution etc.

but anyway - anyone have any negatives to say about the Samsung LCD R-series?

- is this a good price? are there better price vs value brands/models ?

Thanks for your help

Rain

PS: I hope not to have hijacked any threads - so before you shoot me, I chose this one, as it seemed the closest match to what I wanted to ask :blink:

Hi is there any news on the firmware update yet? In the worst case would using the UK firmware update have any averse side effects ?

From what I understand using the UK firmware effectively disables one composite input as the UK models have Scart instead.

From what I understand using the UK firmware effectively disables one composite input as the UK models have Scart instead.

I think it is the "component" input that is disabled. Has anyone tried this UK firmware update. I remember reading someone from Aus on the AVS forums had tried it and discovered the loss of one component input but it did work.

Where is the Australian update???

I think we are still awaiting for a samsung tech to go out to scotts place and install it. Scott hasn't informed us of any update as of yet.

Has anyone tried a VGA to Componet connection on this TV?

Hey guys,

Is anyone able to get their hands on the 46" right now!? I bought mine early last week. Paid in full at JB hi-fi (adelaide) on the understanding that there was a shortage from Samsung Australia wide but that it will be here within 2 weeks.

I just spoke to the boss today and now he's saying they won't be here until 26-28 Feb !!! That's 3 weeks more wait!

So, anyone had any luck with these and where? Not sure what my rights are here but I might look to get a refund and buy somewhere else. For them to have my money for that long and me with nothing just doesn't seem right.

Cheers

Does anyone know how to get into the service menu?

I would like to see what other settings are available whilst obviously being very careful.....

Remember DON'T change anything unless you are absolutley sure what the result will be.

To find the service menu:

Power Off -> Info -> Menu -> Mute -> Power On

Hey guys,

Is anyone able to get their hands on the 46" right now!? I bought mine early last week. Paid in full at JB hi-fi (adelaide) on the understanding that there was a shortage from Samsung Australia wide but that it will be here within 2 weeks.

I just spoke to the boss today and now he's saying they won't be here until 26-28 Feb !!! That's 3 weeks more wait!

So, anyone had any luck with these and where? Not sure what my rights are here but I might look to get a refund and buy somewhere else. For them to have my money for that long and me with nothing just doesn't seem right.

Cheers

i jus placed a order with HN in brizzy last saturday, and same story they are not in stock, and apparently samsung has been delaying these. I dont know whats up with samsung. but yeah HN said it might be here next week, but if this is 2 3 weeks as u say .. thats really bad!!!

Maybe this is because of the firmware update ??? and they want to do this before stock ships out ?? i hope so ..

Go to this thread to see why.

Is the DVD player set to output 16:9? (most likely cause is that it is set at 4:3)

Remember that there will be black bars top and bottom for most cinema based material.

Is this what you got or was the image squashed as well?

Zoom will rescale the image to a lower resolution and discard the material on either side, thus the image is poor quality because there is less info spread over a larger area.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Yes, I am aware that cinema widescreen mode has black bars. But at 16:9 there is image distortion- image compression ratio is not right.

I put a deposit on mine the week before christmas and i am still waiting. If this is true and its not going to arrive until 26-28 of Feb i think i will just change to a Bravia! ahh this is driving me crazy. Originally i was told 2 weeks, then end of Jan, now it is supposed to be Thursday this week. I know its not JB's fault, but Samsungs. If i dont get mine this week i will be really pissed as i have just pulled out the old tv, set up the new cabinet and wired the amp and everything, but i have disposed of the old tv so dont have in the loungeroom at the moment!!

tonehenge how much did you pay for yours? Which JB did you get it from? The guy at JB Marion told me that JB in VIC/SA alone have 50 of these on backorder!

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Yes, I am aware that cinema widescreen mode has black bars. But at 16:9 there is image distortion- image compression ratio is not right.

Ok we need a little more information.....

Three things need to be set correctly

1) The DVD player needs to be set to output 16:9

2) The DVD player needs to be set to outputting Component (YUV, YCbCr, YPbPr)

3) The screen must be set to 16:9 aspect ratio

(nb. Both TV and DVD player need to be set to 16:9)

LOTR is definately a 16:9 aspect disc (with black bars for cinema aspect ratio) so this is not the problem.

Check all of these settings and let us know how you go! :blink:

Cheers,

Peter

I put a deposit on mine the week before christmas and i am still waiting. If this is true and its not going to arrive until 26-28 of Feb i think i will just change to a Bravia! ahh this is driving me crazy. Originally i was told 2 weeks, then end of Jan, now it is supposed to be Thursday this week.

tonehenge how much did you pay for yours? Which JB did you get it from? The guy at JB Marion told me that JB in VIC/SA alone have 50 of these on backorder!

I also got it from JB Marion. Got mine for $4180. I stupidly paid the whole amount already though =(

markgts, you must be the guy they told me about when I wanted to get mine and they warned the 46" is out of stock and some other guy has been waiting for a month already. But wow, the week before christmas?? Dood that is ****ed up. They told me it would be a week or two when I bought it.

I spoke to John the manager down there and he said he's spoken to the samsung rep. The tv's are "on the water" and will be here Feb 26-28. I just wonder if this is even accurate now and if we'll still be empty handed come end of Feb =(

I doubt I could get a better deal anywhere else though so I guess I'll just have to be patient. The new model sammy's will probably be out by the time we get these though lol

I also got it from JB Marion. Got mine for $4180. I stupidly paid the whole amount already though =(

markgts, you must be the guy they told me about when I wanted to get mine and they warned the 46" is out of stock and some other guy has been waiting for a month already. But wow, the week before christmas?? Dood that is ****ed up. They told me it would be a week or two when I bought it.

I spoke to John the manager down there and he said he's spoken to the samsung rep. The tv's are "on the water" and will be here Feb 26-28. I just wonder if this is even accurate now and if we'll still be empty handed come end of Feb =(

I doubt I could get a better deal anywhere else though so I guess I'll just have to be patient. The new model sammy's will probably be out by the time we get these though lol

I bought my LA40F71BX for $3750 with 7 years warranty. I'm pretty happy with the price.

Free delivery aswell.

Now I have to find a HDSTB. I don't know that I want to run media centre as my tv tuner for now.

Edited by mongo
I bought my LA40F71BX for $3750 with 7 years warranty. I'm pretty happy with the price.

Free delivery aswell.

Now I have to find a HDSTB. I don't know that I want to run media centre as my tv tuner for now.

Mongo, did you buy the 40" or 46"?. Christ, if you meant the 46" that is a hell of a deal. If it's the 46, where did you buy it from?

i think he meant the 40... it sounds too good to be true for a 46. i had to fight for a week for my 4000 on the 46 inch

Everyone seems to be out of stock of the 40 and 46 until some time in March.

Mine is coming in on Friday.

Oops I actually got it for $3550 from HN. All up with Legend LHD3 HDSTB it will cost me about 3750.

My mistake.

Edited by mongo

Everyone seems to be out of stock of the 40 and 46 until some time in March.

Mine is coming in on Friday.

I think you will find that there is stock available on the 40", it is just the 46" that is out of stock.

If i hear of the new models comming out i think i will just change to that. I am so temped to just change to a Bravia right now. I have also now paid in full, but only finalised my payment last week when they told me it should be in this Thursday. Its a bit worrying that the same store tells you end of Feb, but tells me that mine will be here tomorrow! what is going on with that, sounds like they dont have a clue.

If i hear of the new models comming out i think i will just change to that. I am so temped to just change to a Bravia right now. I have also now paid in full, but only finalised my payment last week when they told me it should be in this Thursday. Its a bit worrying that the same store tells you end of Feb, but tells me that mine will be here tomorrow! what is going on with that, sounds like they dont have a clue.

Unless the store has their own stock at some other centralized warehouse which they are getting it from, you will not get delivery as there is no stock on the 46" until the end of Feb, possibly early March. There is stock available on the 40" but not the 46".

Unless the store has their own stock at some other centralized warehouse which they are getting it from, you will not get delivery as there is no stock on the 46" until the end of Feb, possibly early March. There is stock available on the 40" but not the 46".

From my understanding, alot of the shops in Adelaide having problems getting 40's or 46's in. Mine is coming from Mel. Other places that I went to get prices from said that I would have to wait until March until they had stock of the 40. A few places still had the demo 46 on the floor, but no one had the 40 on show.

Well in brizzy .. all shops had the 40 in stock .. but none of them had the 46. Sort of pisses me off that samsung wouldnt care about this.

Does anyone want to share the cost of buying the serial cable for a potential firmware upgrade. As i reckon waitign for the samsung techie to show up is just going to take ages.

Well in brizzy .. all shops had the 40 in stock .. but none of them had the 46. Sort of pisses me off that samsung wouldnt care about this.

Does anyone want to share the cost of buying the serial cable for a potential firmware upgrade. As i reckon waitign for the samsung techie to show up is just going to take ages.

I would be willing to go in on the cost of the cable. I have sent an email to Samsung in regard to official confirmation on the firmware being alright to use on Aussie sets. I will only do it if it does not stuff my warranty up.

Thanks

Oracled

I would be willing to go in on the cost of the cable. I have sent an email to Samsung in regard to official confirmation on the firmware being alright to use on Aussie sets. I will only do it if it does not stuff my warranty up.

Thanks

Oracled

Yeah alrite .. keep us posted, there is a website in the USA that is selling this cable, sourced from AV forums

http://www.dcables.net/index.asp?PageActio...&ProdID=149

I cannot find any australian retailer with this yet ?? Maybe Samsung themselves sell the cable ?

any news on the firmware scott? thx

Yeah I would like to know as well.

I'm 2 lazy to contact Samsung.

if nothing happen, we should put our names in a petition and send it off to samsung.

Edited by neostars

Hi All,

well i got one today.. :blink: soooo happy

am using the VGA input at the moment and it look superb!

but i would really like to use the hdmi input and can live with the overscan until the firmware is available..

but i cant get it to display in anything other than 1080i.. i am using powerstrip to turn off interlacing but then it doesn't display

i have a nvidia 5200 which is barely coping at that res.. but it will do for the time being

can someone advise the steps i should take to get the best piccie out from hdmi?

cheers

Free delivery aswell.

Try the DGTEC DG-HD160PV. Dual HD tuners and 160 gb HDD currently for $699 at Dick Smith. RRP $799. Best value for a PVR of it's specs that I've seen so far. Sony also have one (SVRHD700) with twin HD tuners and HDD size for RRP $1099.

Hi All,

well i got one today.. :blink: soooo happy

am using the VGA input at the moment and it look superb!

but i would really like to use the hdmi input and can live with the overscan until the firmware is available..

but i cant get it to display in anything other than 1080i.. i am using powerstrip to turn off interlacing but then it doesn't display

i have a nvidia 5200 which is barely coping at that res.. but it will do for the time being

can someone advise the steps i should take to get the best piccie out from hdmi?

cheers

Which model did u recieve the 46 inch or the 40 one ??

Hi all,

Great news. I have just had the Samsung contracted service technician to my house. He has installed the firmware update for the TV, and voila!! I have the new JUST SCAN mode in my picture size menu for HDMI connections.

So to confirm, this update has fixed the overscan issue.

Instantly can see the different on ch.9. I am going to go buy a DVI > HDMI cable from JB today so I can hook up my Mac Laptop that way, rather than via the VGA. I'll also go buy a better VGA xbox connector for my 360.. so I can have 1:1 1080p on all inputs.

I purchased a $45 VGA cable for the 360 last week, but the picture quality was terrible... ghosting and reflections.. looked way better in component. I did notice the colours were a little washed out on VGA compared to component though.

16:9 mode

16by9.jpg

JUST SCAN mode

justscan.jpg

Hi all,

Great news. I have just had the Samsung contracted service technician to my house. He has installed the firmware update for the TV, and voila!! I have the new JUST SCAN mode in my picture size menu for HDMI connections.

Instantly can see the different on ch.9. I am going to go buy a DVI > HDMI cable from JB today so I can hook up my Mac Laptop that way, rather than via the VGA. I'll also go buy a better VGA xbox connector for my 360.. so I can have 1:1 1080p on all inputs.

I purchased a $45 VGA cable for the 360 last week, but the picture quality was terrible... ghosting and reflections.. looked way better in component. I did notice the colours were a little washed out on VGA compared to component though.

16by9.jpg

JUST SCAN mode

justscan.jpg

That is gr8 news!!! .. Did u manage to get a copy of the australian verion ???

Hi all,

16by9.jpg

JUST SCAN mode

justscan.jpg

Can you please confirm that you loose 1:1 mapping via COMPONENT with the new firmware installed? THX

Why is that? Is that because you want to use that input and free up the VGA for something else? Is there any visual difference between VGA and HDMI from PC?