Samsung La40f71bx And La46f71bx

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just spoke to Win at Sumsung.. he is one of the main techs there..

he asked me to send all material I have on the issue to him..so I sent him the following email, along with the actual Firmware patch that the UK guys got from their Sumsung...

Hi Win

thanks for the call, I have attached the firmware patch to this email.

This has been an ongoing issue, and is something that lots of people want fixed, and also a lot of potential customers want fixed, so that they can buy one. Removing the overscanning problem would essentially make this TV the PERFECT TV for everyone.

The problem is that the TV overscans on HDMI inputs and Component inputs when running 1920 x 1080p resolution. In the UK, there has been sent a patch that adds an option in the menu for picture size called “JUST SCAN” – this deactivates the overscanning on the HDMI only.. .but does not fix the Component overscan.

Currently my Blu Ray, XBOX360 and HDTV footage are all being affected by this issue. The only thing that does NOT get overscan, is my PC via VGA connection… but as stated, this does not help as I want to watch HD DVD protected content via a PC’s HDMI output – but if you do, it’s distorted by the overscanning. So we NEED 1:1 mapping on AT LEAST the HDMI, but component too would be very nice.

Samsung in the UK have stated that they are currently packaging up the firmware patch for all people who need it, and will ship it out in 2 weeks. This is official and came from Samsung UK. Maybe you should call them to discuss it?

Here is the discussion at www.avforum.com

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread....13&page=107

that’s starting at the latest page.. but you might want to read back several pages….

Here is a link to download the Firmware patch directly if you can’t open the file I attached. I suggest using winRAR or something to open it.

http://www.egraphixstudios.com/other/samsu...amsungflash.zip

If you can confirm this patch will work on my TV, please then call me ASAP and send me a laptop and a cable and a CD with the patch so I can fix my TV. Or have a service technician come out to my house to do it if possible.

Please call once you get this email and have had a look at the firmware patch on my mobile number XXXX XXX XXX.

Thankyou for your time on this,

Scott Richardson

I suggest if you want this issue fixed, you should email him too, and say that you want the same thing I do:

win.a@samsung.com

Email him and just say you want the overscanning issue fixed with the firmware patch :blink:

Great news, thanks Scott. Please keep us informed of how you go!

Does anyone know anything about this colour flickering issue I've heard mentioned? Is this something that affects every unit that I should be worried about? Or is it just a problem a few people had.

I would plan on running this screen in 'Movie' mode with the intent to disable DNIe.

one of the guys on avforums.com has installed the UK update on his Aussie TV.

Firmware worked a treat, and now has 1:1 mapping, and also as an added bonus, it has removed alot of fuzziness from the picture when using1080p component with XBOX.

Downside, it's disabled one of his component inputs... because the UK models only have one, and an SCART connection!

Still waiting to hear back from Win at Samsung.

Scottie

Hi All.

Martin here. I've been posting over at the avforums.

I thought I might find you guys here (scott and mcspidey) :blink:

Hope Samsung come through for an update for our aussie boxes. Good work so far Scott.

Cheers,

Martin.

Edited by mardelzur

Hi Guyes

I'm kinda new to LCD Tv

But I'm planning to buy LCD TV 101 cm True HD Resolution (Samsung LA40F71BX). I saw it in DickSmith Powerhouse.. .

Just before i purchase it I wud like to know few things you guys were discussing in this thread.

There are few words you guys used which i don't konw at all

Scottie - Mentioned 1:1 Mapping .. Now I don't know what 1:1 mapping is ..

And the main purpose of buying this TV is to play games with my xbox 360 and also ps3 ( I'm gonna buy it on release)

and also connect my PC with this TV so that I can watch some HD movies ..

Now it has got HDMI Input so can I connect my PC With HDMI and will i get 1080p resulation? MY PC has god DVI Output and i saw a cable DVI -> HDMI .. around 50 bucks..

So guys please give me some idea about these issues before I purchase

Thanks

Jitu

1:1 mapping means that if your PC outputs 1920x1080, each pixel it outputs displays exactly with each pixel on the screen.

Unfortunately this screen will stretch the picture slightly (over HDMI and component), resulting in the image not mapping each pixel 1 to 1. This means you lose the very outer edges of your screen, and text from PC's can be slightly blurred.

There is, however, a firmware patch that fixes this problem, but we have had very little info from Samsung Australia about whether this is available for the Australian models. Scott is making excellent headway, and hopefully we'll have more news shortly.

If this TV gets the patch, it will be perfect for you PC, xbox and PS3.

Reading the specs of the LA40F71BX, I see it has a USB port.

1) Is this USB2.0 enabled?

2) Could you connect an external hard drive and watch movies from it?

3) Can you listen to audio out via USB plantronic headphones?

1) The manual states that "only Full-Speed USB is available". So if by USB2.0 you actually mean Hi-Speed USB, then no.

2) WISELINK only does MP3 and JPG.

3) No, just regular headphones in the 3.5mm jack.

Perhaps this set will interest you:

Acer 3705-HMGW

Ok - my LA46F71BX just arrived.

Initial impressions...seems like a nice TV, but my impression from the store of seeming a little dark still holds. While blacks seem ok, there is very little definition in dark areas. I've only tried this on component so far...as this is what my AV Amp puts out.

The big kicker for me is the it WON'T do PIP on component :-( We usually have the baby cam hooked up via composite, and we can bring him up in a sub window while watching a movie. ARGH!

PIP really sucks on this model. It pretty much doesn't work with anything other than HDMI, and I'm guessing that the 1:1 firmware will disable it anyway.

I checked it did PIP before I bought it, but didn't think to check the matrix to see if it works with component. It worked beautifully on our old Samsung Plasma :-(

Zilch.

I have received my 40" LCD and now reading and typing this post through VGA.

The model number I have is:

LA40F71BX/XSA

Can I just confirm - does 1:1 mapping means it gets rid of the anti-aliasing or smoothing effect on the screen? Without the firmware upgrade, it's still looking pretty good. :D

I will keep an eye on the progress of this thread and will try to help / answer any questions if I can. :blink:

Tim

If however you never watch FTA or Foxtel and you are planning to replace your DVD collection with BR or HD-DVD then you will benefit in a big way. Oh and of course gaming in 1080p will be a factor along with HTPC.

...or you are running a HTPC or scaler, which does a good job at upscaling 576/720 to 1080 lines.

Guest River1503559998
Just had a look in the manual and it states "Do not attempt to connect a PC or laptop graphics card to the HDMI port or a blank screen will result", so does that mean it's a no-go for HTPC or is this just a scare tactic but it will work anyway?

I think it means that in most cases a DVI to HDMI cable will not work. Your PC's video card must support HDCP, here are some examples: GeCube HDMI/HDCP Graphics Cards. If the HDMI input to the TV does not support HDCP you will get a blank screen.

Tim, the VGA connection already supports 1:1, so you're right, it should look good!

River, regardless of what the manual says, a standard DVI out graphics card using a DVI-HDMI cable will work, you just won't get 1:1 without the firmware patch.

Confirming this is correct. i have chosen to connect my MacBook Pro with DVI-HDMI evenif i dont get

1:1 as the PQ is visibly better. Awaiting news on the firmware. Anyone ? :D

I have now to compare the XBOX360 connection via Component with VGA. Seems very unclear about

which is best after reading the other forums, best to try out and will get back with that here as soon

as I pick up the cable :blink:

This is a quote from avforums.com.

You will also need the "Justscan" firmware update. Else when your at 1920 x 1080 your screen will overspill... you then just need to select "Justscan" from the TV menu and it all fits a treat.. The only pain is when you reboot the PC you have to go in the menu again to switch "Justscan" back on again... Its ok if the PC goes into standby though!

If this is true, that really sucks, and will probably rule this tv out for me. I want to be able to just turn the tv on and have the 1:1 mapping remembered from last time. :blink:

hey guys good news from Samsung Australia.. here is the email I got from Win:

Hi Scott,

Just to update about the firmware.

I get a call from my counterpart from HQ and they promise to send the firmware for Asia to me by this week.

So pls wait for a while.

Best Rgds,

Win

So, yay, good news.

OK, to the dude who wanted to know about the XBOX 360...

Component is brighter colours, but overscanned so you're missing a little picture from the edges, AND the whole image is slightly fuzzy due to the overscanning.

VGA is PERFECT 1:1 1920 x 1080 pixel mapped, but the colour is slightly less intense as Component.

The new XBOX 360 has HDMI however, so this may prove the best option in the future!

I might email Win about the problem with not remembering the just scan setting when you switch off.