Sign in to follow this  
rwo

Samsung La40f71bx And La46f71bx

Hi everyone,

Ive been reading the thread (not every single page i must admit) and have learned some important details about the LA40R71BDX thanks to the experts on this forum.

There is 1 detail I have not been able to find out, and have been unable to find with the usual Google search (partly because i don't know what I'm searching for).

Basically I just wanted to know whether this unit is able to display 2 channels at once. Not 2 TV channels though, I'm specifically after 1 channel displaying the XBOX 360, and the other channel displaying normal TV stations. I know it will do picture in picture display, but wasn't too sure whether it was capable of displaying a 360 game AND a TV station at the same time.

Thanks in advance for any replys.

Has everyone who applied the firmware been successful? No problems doing it themselves right?

Hey Justifier could I please have a copy of the firmware - jivinjim@gmail.com

Cheers

Hi everyone,

Ive been reading the thread (not every single page i must admit) and have learned some important details about the LA40R71BDX thanks to the experts on this forum.

There is 1 detail I have not been able to find out, and have been unable to find with the usual Google search (partly because i don't know what I'm searching for).

Basically I just wanted to know whether this unit is able to display 2 channels at once. Not 2 TV channels though, I'm specifically after 1 channel displaying the XBOX 360, and the other channel displaying normal TV stations. I know it will do picture in picture display, but wasn't too sure whether it was capable of displaying a 360 game AND a TV station at the same time.

Thanks in advance for any replys.

Yes.

I'm running the PC in the HDMI1 input and watching the inbuilt analog tuner in the subpicture. The sound stays on the main picture, in this case, HDMI.

You can choose almost any source to be in the sub picture via the main menu. For full details, go to the Samsung website and download the manual.

Hi all, I'm new to the forum.

After so much hype about the firmware update, are the current available from shops have the firmware updated?

I'm looking to get one, but restrained to Bing Lee since I want 50 months interest free, anyone know any people from Bing Lee who are nice enough to talk and probably haggle?

I called the Canberra Samsung service agent (maxtech) and they want to take the TV away. Could you please send me the firmware as well please?

miket@velocitynet.com.au

I brought the LA46F71BX at the start of feb and I read with interest about the firmware upgrade. I asked samsung to apply and there service center knew nothing about it. I also mentioned that I had the colours changing whenever I don't use the movie mode. They come out and said that it was faulty and they wanted to take it to repair the TV. It should be more than a couple of days. That was three weeks ago...

After one week the service center called up and said that I need to contact the customer care number at Samsung.

I have since had to call the customer care department continously every day looking for answers and received very little in responce. A lot of we'll call you back today and they simply don't. I called an asked to speak with a manager yesterday and the person on the phone said that she wasn't willing to transfer me to anyone else and that If I was not willing to wait for a call back then I would get no information. Needless to say I got upset at this. I hung up and called the main switchboard of samsung in sydney and asked to be put through to the manager of the customer care section. He immediately told me that my unit needed to be replaced and that he was looking for a retailer who would do that and that I would get a call back. I called back later that day only to be told "There are none avaliable and I will be receiving a refund. Thank you for your time" and then the call ended without any more information.

So I called back and said that I didn't want a refund I wanted a 46 inch LCD TV and that they would need to provide me one. They asked if I would be willing to make up the difference on any TV! I said no. They said that they would speak to the exchange department and assured me they would call back the same day. They did not.

So I called back today and just said that I want my money back and that I would like it quickly and they told me that all refunds had to be approved and that takes up to 48 hours. I don't find this acceptable.

So in the end I am now waiting and I have no TV and for the moment no money. I brought it because I wanted to watch the Cricket World Cup and the Swimming on a big screen and now I only have a 51 CM TV.

I think this TV is great but I will never buy a samsung and would recommend that no one else does due to the fact that there is no support, in my instance, I am envious of all of you who do have this TV and I hope that nothing happens to yours that require you to deal with these people.

I brought the LA46F71BX at the start of feb and I read with interest about the firmware upgrade. I asked samsung to apply and there service center knew nothing about it. I also mentioned that I had the colours changing whenever I don't use the movie mode. They come out and said that it was faulty and they wanted to take it to repair the TV. It should be more than a couple of days. That was three weeks ago...

After one week the service center called up and said that I need to contact the customer care number at Samsung.

I have since had to call the customer care department continously every day looking for answers and received very little in responce. A lot of we'll call you back today and they simply don't. I called an asked to speak with a manager yesterday and the person on the phone said that she wasn't willing to transfer me to anyone else and that If I was not willing to wait for a call back then I would get no information. Needless to say I got upset at this. I hung up and called the main switchboard of samsung in sydney and asked to be put through to the manager of the customer care section. He immediately told me that my unit needed to be replaced and that he was looking for a retailer who would do that and that I would get a call back. I called back later that day only to be told "There are none avaliable and I will be receiving a refund. Thank you for your time" and then the call ended without any more information.

So I called back and said that I didn't want a refund I wanted a 46 inch LCD TV and that they would need to provide me one. They asked if I would be willing to make up the difference on any TV! I said no. They said that they would speak to the exchange department and assured me they would call back the same day. They did not.

So I called back today and just said that I want my money back and that I would like it quickly and they told me that all refunds had to be approved and that takes up to 48 hours. I don't find this acceptable.

So in the end I am now waiting and I have no TV and for the moment no money. I brought it because I wanted to watch the Cricket World Cup and the Swimming on a big screen and now I only have a 51 CM TV.

I think this TV is great but I will never buy a samsung and would recommend that no one else does due to the fact that there is no support, in my instance, I am envious of all of you who do have this TV and I hope that nothing happens to yours that require you to deal with these people.

That is a terrible story. I feel genuinely sorry for you. My dealings with Samsung support, in particular, their service agents has also been extremely poor. I ended up doing the firmware upgrade myself after many different 'so called' service centres said they had never heard of the firmware upgrade, have never done a firmware upgrade or needed to take the tv back to their workshop. There is a good chance there was nothing wrong with your tv and they just didnt know how to apply the firmware upgrade or stuffed it up.

Anyway lets hope someone from Samsung is monitoring these boards and gets the message that Samsung support needs to lift its game. Its all very good to have a few great techs like Win behind the seens but if the main people the general public deal with like the Samsung call centre and so called service agents cant their act together then Samsung products are going to have very unhappy custmers and sales will eventually suffer. Remember that people who are disappointed with a product are ten times more likely to tell ten times as many people about their problems than people who are satisfied are to tell others of their satisfaction.

I am happy with my TV but if something should go wrong I dread the day I need to deal with Samsung support or a service agent.....

I hope you have better luck with your next purchase.....

I feel sympathetic with what has happened. As a matter of fact I have similar experience with the colour flicking when not using movie mode. I just put up with that as I can imagine the hassle of having to get an exchange or refund. The TV is a great set with vivid colour and contrast. I have been waiting in the queue for a firmware upgrade for month without anyone coming, then I called a different service centre and now am hoping to get quicker service on the firmware. I read a lot of article at this forum that the Samsung F46 has very limited stocks in Australia. They may want to sell a new model with built in tuner in the coming months and discontinue the current F46.

Well I've had my set for a few days now.

It's awesome, so much better than my old LG DLP.

Just wondering what settings you guys are using?

I've been through the thread and hadn't seen any so thought I would get the ball rolling.

For DVD Player(Component) and Xbox360 (VGA) I use Movie Mode:

Contrast 85

Brightness 25

Sharpness 10

Colour 36

Colour Tone Normal

For Topfield 5000 PVR (Component) I use Custom Mode:

Contrast 85

Brightness 38

Sharpness 10

Colour 31

Colour Tone Cool1

I've turned off DNR.

I'm still tweaking so would be interested in comparing notes.

Also, I've noticed the Colour Changing slightly when not using Movie and had put it down the DNIe.

Through any source (HDMI, VGA, Composite, AV) I have a problem with colours and blacks. When there is lots of black on the screen the other colours wash out. If there is lots of colour or white on the screen it looks great but as soon as there is about half the screen black, all the other colours wash out dramaticly

This is the DNIe in action and will happen in every mode except for Movie.

To turn off DNIe, you need to go into the service menu. With the TV off, hit these buttons in order: Info, Menu, Mute, Power. After several seconds, the tv comes on displaying the service menu.

!! DO NOT GO INTO THE "CALIBRATION" MENU UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.. There are stories from other forums of ppl REALLY screwing up ALL their service menu settings on the tv by going in here and it's very hard to set everything back the way it was. You've been warned. If you accidentally go in there, hit the EXIT button on your remote.. not left or right! To calibrate your tv using the calibration menu, you need to be displaying the correct test pattern image.. if you're displaying anything else, you're doomed. Bad news.

Ok, in the service menu, go into the Option Table section. Turn off Dynamic CE. This turns off DNIe for every picture mode, not just Movie. Power off your TV and back on again. You can test the DNIe being off by turning the DNIe demo on. You won't see any difference between the two sides. The problem of the brightness changing when dragging windows around the screen will go away too.

The only problem I have left is the colours flickering when not in movie mode and it's not the DNIe at work as I have that turned off.. it's just another bloody bug :blink: You can especially notice it on ppls faces. When the background colour changes, their face colour changes. Sometimes a whole scene will change tone/colours when moving from one camera angle to the next. It's pretty annoying. I'm not sure if this was happening before the justscan firmware fix I had applied.

tech came out installed firmware got just scan working and also the colour flickering has been fixed :blink: loving it!!

So there's a firmware that fixes both?? Are you using Movie Mode? Because my colour flickering happens in every mode except for movie. DNIe is turned off for every mode.

If you don't have colour flickering in all modes, can you please do me a favour and look up your firmware version? It's located in your Service Menu. With the TV off, hit these buttons in order: Info, Menu, Mute, Power. Your firmware is the one with Boot Merge OK written next to it. Mine is T-FMSLMPEA-1015SVC

I am sorry if I do post here a question already answered, but I do not know, how to use the searchengine of this Forum. It does always show me the Results from the Threads and not the Posts here. But now my questions.

Does the Samsung LA40F71BX support HDMI 1.3? If not, can I add it via a firmwareupgrade. Can I do this firmwareupgrade for my own or does somebody have to come.

Is it a rentable LCD in its class? If not, which one would be better.

Does ist have a special gaming mode? Because I have a PS3 and want connect it finally to a Full HDTV.

And are the contrast, the respone time and the other specifications of this LCD good?

And what is HDPC? I know onl that it is some kind of encoding. But does it affect me playing with my PS3? I hope it doesn't affect it.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Best regards,

Stormcloud

Edited by Stormcloud

This is the DNIe in action and will happen in every mode except for Movie.

To turn off DNIe, you need to go into the service menu. With the TV off, hit these buttons in order: Info, Menu, Mute, Power. After several seconds, the tv comes on displaying the service menu.

!! DO NOT GO INTO THE "CALIBRATION" MENU UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.. There are stories from other forums of ppl REALLY screwing up ALL their service menu settings on the tv by going in here and it's very hard to set everything back the way it was. You've been warned. If you accidentally go in there, hit the EXIT button on your remote.. not left or right! To calibrate your tv using the calibration menu, you need to be displaying the correct test pattern image.. if you're displaying anything else, you're doomed. Bad news.

Ok, in the service menu, go into the Option Table section. Turn off Dynamic CE. This turns off DNIe for every picture mode, not just Movie. Power off your TV and back on again. You can test the DNIe being off by turning the DNIe demo on. You won't see any difference between the two sides. The problem of the brightness changing when dragging windows around the screen will go away too.

The only problem I have left is the colours flickering when not in movie mode and it's not the DNIe at work as I have that turned off.. it's just another bloody bug :blink: You can especially notice it on ppls faces. When the background colour changes, their face colour changes. Sometimes a whole scene will change tone/colours when moving from one camera angle to the next. It's pretty annoying. I'm not sure if this was happening before the justscan firmware fix I had applied.

Thanks for this post. It's solved the problem of dark colours being too dark and not having enough range or detail.

I'm not sure if I've suffered from the colour flickering that a lot of people are talking about, as "flickering" suggests to me colours blinking like faulty lights. But if you guys mean, colours changing hue and shade depending on the amount of light colours on the screen, then yes, it's been a problem but this seems to solve it only partially. When watching full screen video and then reducing it to a small/er window, the video colours look like the contrast and colour level have suddenly been boosted buy about 10 levels and the brightness reduced by 10 or so.

But I noticed in the Option Table of the Service Menu there was a Dynamic Dimming option set to On. I turned it off and didn't notice any difference. Does anyone know what this does?

Anyone know where I can pick up a Samsung LA40F71BX model in Sydney? Have asked at a few places, however, non have stock. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks for this post. It's solved the problem of dark colours being too dark and not having enough range or detail.

I'm not sure if I've suffered from the colour flickering that a lot of people are talking about, as "flickering" suggests to me colours blinking like faulty lights. But if you guys mean, colours changing hue and shade depending on the amount of light colours on the screen, then yes, it's been a problem but this seems to solve it only partially. When watching full screen video and then reducing it to a small/er window, the video colours look like the contrast and colour level have suddenly been boosted buy about 10 levels and the brightness reduced by 10 or so.

But I noticed in the Option Table of the Service Menu there was a Dynamic Dimming option set to On. I turned it off and didn't notice any difference. Does anyone know what this does?

I've got Dynamic Dimming, Dynamic Contrast and Dynamic CE turned off in the service menu but I still get the colours changing hue/shade depending on the lighting of the scene. I agree that colour flickering isn't the best description of it but that's what ppl seem to be using. Other forums have called it crazy colours etc. and it seems they have had it fixed only by a firmware update. I'm not sure if you need to lose the justscan option or if there is an all in one fix. I reckon I'll call Samsung tech support about it as I think they're aware of it and then I'll report back here.

The next gen Samsung panels due out soon will probably have none of these issues :blink: .. Who knows, they'll probably introduce their own as no tv seems to be perfect.

Hello Guys

My TV is been fixed for a month now.

I bought it 2980 AUD from JBHIFI in Northland then i called a guy to upgrade my lcd's firmware

And now it is awsome ...

those of you who wanna upgrade just call them up .. in my case they took the tv for 4 days which is fair enough

Cheers

Well this is my first post on these forums, I have mainly been just reading up about peoples experience with these TV's. Last night I bought one, I paid $3775 for the LA46F71BX, which is apparently below cost...... It was very difficult to find since they are currently end of production with Samsung, apparently there is a new model coming out... but I was not concerned with that, I just want a good quality 1080p panel, and this baby delivers that.

My first job this morning was to ring Samsung support and get them to come and firmware upgrade. As soon as I told the guy at the end of the phone that I had an 'F' series TV he said straight away that he was aware of the problem and gave me the service centre number, I rang and arranged for a tech to come out.... Too easy ! :blink:

So far I am very happy with it all.... what I am most p*ssed about however is Digital TV reception in my area and my Media Centre, but that is a whole other story.... :D

Edited by reaver

Hey all.

I purchased a La46f71bx a month ago for $3,850 in Sydney and got a technician to do the firmware upgrade 2 weeks ago.

There are some horror stories on this listing with people trying to buy their tv and getting it serviced. Thankfully my experiences to date have been great with both - especially with the company i bought my tv from, so I thought i'd give them plug if anyone is interested.

The tv was purchased from Joe Breen at CSV audiovisual. Joe was great - he ordered the tv from Samsung and had it delivered direct to my place from the factory. He rang me all the time to give me progress updates and checked to make sure everything was ok with the delivery. I have recently moved and bought everything i need new - I have many horror stories with everything else I bought but Joe was great - stood out for being professional.

Details are:

CSV audiovisual

Unit 219, 35 Doody St

Alexandria, NSW 2015

Sydney, Australia

PH: 1300 130 260

PH: (02) 9669 5050

FAX: (02) 9669 5054

Email: csvav@telpacific.com.au

Web: http://www.csvav.com.au/

The service centre I rang was Sibnet Electronics. They were quite busy so it took 2 weeks for the technician to come out but he arrived on time and did his thing. No dramas there either:

Address U50 / 28 Barcoo Street, Chatswood, NSW 2067

Telephone number 02 94177600

Fax number 02 94171280

And no, i'm not related to either party or have a financial interest - good service is becoming a rare commodity these days so when it's done well, i think it deserves to be noted.

Now you guys have got me worried about this colour hue thing :blink:

Could please somebody my question if this LCD does have HDMI 1.3. It would really help me with my decision. I don't find any facts about it anywhere. :D:blink::P

Could please somebody my question if this LCD does have HDMI 1.3. It would really help me with my decision. I don't find any facts about it anywhere. :D:blink::P

No I believe it doesn't. The new model due for release april some time does have HDMI 1.3.

Gday guys, this is my first post but i have been a quiet observer for some time but never needed to register as i usually found what i wanted via searching. Anyways on to my question... I purchased the 40 inch recently and when i switch it on i am getting large red areas all over the place but after a minute it generally clears up and displays as normal. But now it is progressively getting worse and worse and taking longer to resolve itself.

Yes it does the same thing on all inputs,i made sure it wasnt due to possible interference from my speakers etc just in case, tried different leads etc, I have also tried different color modes (cool1, 2) movie mode, with and without game mode - pretty much every combination.

Im just curious if anyone else has experienced the same issues & has any info on what may be causing the issue and how i may be able to fix it myself (firmware etc)

cheers

Gday guys, this is my first post but i have been a quiet observer for some time but never needed to register as i usually found what i wanted via searching. Anyways on to my question... I purchased the 40 inch recently and when i switch it on i am getting large red areas all over the place but after a minute it generally clears up and displays as normal. But now it is progressively getting worse and worse and taking longer to resolve itself.

Yes it does the same thing on all inputs,i made sure it wasnt due to possible interference from my speakers etc just in case, tried different leads etc, I have also tried different color modes (cool1, 2) movie mode, with and without game mode - pretty much every combination.

Im just curious if anyone else has experienced the same issues & has any info on what may be causing the issue and how i may be able to fix it myself (firmware etc)

cheers

If I were you I'd definitely book a technician in as it seems to be getting worse. I've never heard of this before. I'd start taking digital pictures (or better, digital video) of when you first turn it on and how it resolves itself, and keep a log, just in case the technician doesn't believe you.

I can't see how a firmware upgrade would help you here, as it seems to resolve itself as the unit warms up, suggesting a physical/hardware problem.

Can you take a picture of the problem and attach it to your next post?

It seems to have went from worse to bad I am afraid - it has went from only hvingthe issue a few minutes from powering on the unit to to being a constant issue... pics linked below

I cant seem to work out which color isnt being processed correctly as i have tested with all the primary colours on there own and black & white and it seems ok, it's more the shadowed areas the image is kind of a half sepia tone i think would be the best way to describe it when watching tv etc through the analogue tuner. The images i took are from components & vga to the 360, img 32 is what all inputs look like when switching to them only the pattern of red on black differs for each slightly.

link

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Edited by lukos

It seems to have went from worse to bad I am afraid - it has went from only hvingthe issue a few minutes from powering on the unit to to being a constant issue... pics linked below

I cant seem to work out which color isnt being processed correctly as i have tested with all the primary colours on there own and black & white and it seems ok, it's more the shadowed areas the image is kind of a half sepia tone i think would be the best way to describe it when watching tv etc through the analogue tuner. The images i took are from components & vga to the 360, img 32 is what all inputs look like when switching to them only the pattern of red on black differs for each slightly.

link

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

DUDE! That is majorly FARKED!!!! Get a service guy to come out IMMEDIATELY!!!! From the sounds of it you've had it less than 2 months (exactly how long have you had it?) so it would most certainly be covered by warranty. considering it's 3 years. Has this been happening from the beginning? If so, I would've informed the retail outlet you bought it from immediately and normally if you've had it anything less than a month they'll swap the faulty one for a new one.

So

1. How long have you had it

2. how long has the problem been around.

3. where did you get it from?