Samsung La40f71bx And La46f71bx

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Everyone!

I own a LA40F71BDX as well. Interested in the Just Scan firmware upgrade. Can someone please send me update and instructions?

Email is: support@mmdynamics.com.au

Thanks!

I need this firmware also

nzezovski@hotmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

Will a good upscaling DVD player noticably improve the picture on the Sammy LA40F7 ?

I have an old DSE player at the moment, and it does a reasonable job - I guess the Samsung upscales and de-interlaces.

But will a good DVD player (like the 'Oppo') further improve the picture?

Anyone out there with first-hand experience?

I finally got my firmware updated...

If anyone is on the Sydney North Shore, I would recommend these guys:

Sibnet Electronics (Gold Service Provider)

50 / 28 barcoo street

Chatswood PH : 02 94177600

NSW 2067 Fax : 02 94171280

...anyday. They came next day with the correct cable and firmware etc. Nothing was an issue. (Gold service does seem to mean something!). The guy was happy for me to check the version was the same as the version Justifier had sent me etc.

In contrast I called the local Hornsby guys 4 times over several months. Eventually they managed to order the cable, but insisted that they would have to take the TV away (despite the fact that I live a few 100 meters from them) as firmware updates were complex and could take "up to a few days" - although they would have the TV back the same day(!) They don't have a laptop apparently which further complicates things.

I don't have any HDMI gear to test, but I can see the 1:1 menu item there even though it is greyed.

Zilch.

I agree with every word.

Same problem at Hornsby. They wanted to collect the TV and keep it for a few days.

Sibnet ordered the new main board, came to my place and had it fixed in 10 minutes.

I fully agree that Sibnet are gold service.

Edited by nexus7
  • 2 months later...
Had the tech come by yesterday. It looks like we're stuck with scrolling back to 'Just Scan' mode. He also confirmed that there was over scan happening at 720p. He's going to get back to me about both issues...

Sorry to dig up an old thread...

I've just upgraded to a HTPC with an HD-DVD/Blu-ray drive so, this has just become an issue for me. Pretty much makes a great TV unusable. In 16x9 you loose massive amounts of the screen, so using Vista on it is not practical (the Start Bar is off the screen for a start), and every time you do ANYTHING (reboot the box, play a DVD, remote control the PC etc) you loose Just Scan, and have to go back in and manually reset it. :-(

I know the TV is no longer a current model, so the chances of Samsung caring aren't high, but I'm going to try again...

• Justifier, are you still reading? What was the techo's name you contacted who was actually helpful?
  • Does anyone have any sort of workaround for this?
  • Is there any news of any new firmware in the UK or anywhere?
  • Is there any way to change the overscan at all? (In the service menu etc?)

Edit: Does anyone know if there is a discrete Remote code associated with this "aspect ratio"? Maybe I can just configure my Harmony to fire the code every few minutes.

Thanks,

Zilch.

Edited by Zilch

I can't say I've ever had a problem with my TV losing JustScan. I use a media PC through HDMI. It gets rebooted occasionally, screen resolution changes... has been set to JustScan ever since it was upgraded.

I had mine updated July last year through Sibnet. If I'm reading the screen correctly, it's version 1015SVC. I haven't kept up with the thread, but is that what everybody has these days?

I've got the LA40F71BX model, it's also running 1015SVC, the exact string in the service menu is T-FMSLMPEA-1015SVC, and still have the issue of Just Scan defaulting back to overscanned 16:9 when there is a resolution transition from 1080i or p, to something else and then back to 1080i or p....Same issue as zilch and many others have, what model do you have ? F81/N81/M81 perhaps ?

I definitely have the F71. I did some tests though, and it looks like you're right. It works just as you describe. I never noticed it because apparently I'm dodging the bullet.

So I rebooted my PC and the whole way through the boot sequence - A few text mode screens + the low res Windows XP loading screen - the TV's info OSD always shows 1080i until it hits the Windows desktop where it changes to just 1080. So either my video card somehow knows to stay at 1080 the whole time, or it is tricking the TV. Whatever it's doing, I'm glad it does it. A GeForce 4400 if anyone were interested.

/me hugs his media PC.

Edited by BSS

Since I began routing my HTPC through my Denon AVR-3808 to the Samsung, I've rarely needed to touch the P.SIZE button anymore because I've set the AVR to constantly output 1080p to the HDMI monitor.

Before I got the upscaling AVR the Samsung would revert to overscanning when the Windows XP screen or BIOS screen was showing. Now, no problem.

Edited by JasonInMelbourne
Since I began routing my HTPC through my Denon AVR-3808 to the Samsung, I've rarely needed to touch the P.SIZE button anymore because I've set the AVR to constantly output 1080p to the HDMI monitor.

Before I got the upscaling AVR the Samsung would revert to overscanning when the Windows XP screen or BIOS screen was showing. Now, no problem.

That's going to be the best solution I think. Pitty I have already spent a fortune on a Yamaha amp with no HDMI :angry2:

I know it's a Denon rather than a Yamaha, but can you confirm it upscales the BIOS text screens, windows boot screens, etc? Also any issues with component, composite, SVideo etc?

Also, has anyone found a discrete remote code for setting the screen to JustScan?

Zilch.

*bump*

Is anyone running this TV through an HDMI capable Yamaha A/V amp? I'm thinking about buying one but am worried I'll get it home and find that it doesn't solve the problem with it jumping out of JustScan. I'm hoping that it will scale absolutely everything I throw at it up to 1080p so I can just leave the crappy TV in JustScan and turn it on and off with the Harmony remote.

Additional question:

Can anyone tell me if it the other SD/HD modes (such as 720p etc) cause it to leave JustScan mode? I'm assuming that it's anything that's not 1080x. Is that true?

• 6 months later...
I just had the tech out to upgrade the firmware. Unfortunately all the firmware that they installed did was fix the issue with the colours cycling when using movie mode. I called the company and enquired and was told that the firmware they have had nothing to do with the 1:1 pixel mapping even though I specifically mentioned that this was the issue to be upgraded.

Now they want to take the tv away to the shop for 2 weeks because the problem according to them is possibly a mainboard issue and they need to inspect it at the workshop.

Has anyone else in Brisbane had any luck getting the 1:1 firmware applied?

Hi Ace

Did you ever get the colour cycling fixed.

My TV has had the main board replaced and the screen replaced.

Only the 'Movie Mode' doesn't cycle.

Is it a firmware problem?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Justifier, do you still have the firmware if so can you please send me the firmware too? Oh is this firmware the Au ver where the 2 component will still be working prefectly?

kwan_de@hotmail.com

Thanks alot

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...