Samsung La40f71bx And La46f71bx

He did give some more info on the 1:1 mapping firmware update. When using the 1:1 mapping via the Just Scan setting some users may see a "Garbage Bar" (a coloured strip down one or more sides of the TV). He said this is the result of poor components found on some of the cheaper video cards that don't output the full 1920 X 1080 even though they say they do. So as a result your image will now be under scanned and the "Garbage Bar" is put in to fill these pixels. Ace Beef is this what could be happening to you? I think this is something Samsung did on purpose to prevent users from seeing this "Garbage Bar" and thinking there was something wrong with the picture and then complaining.

I have the just scan option on my screen, and i recently got my first Blu Ray movie for my PLaystation 3. Well i got these "garbage bars" when using the just scan function, with PS3 set to 1080P over HDMI. Anyone else had this issue? The move was league of extraordinary gentlemen. Its unfortunate because the picture is most definatly much clearer using the Just Scan option, but the garbage bars are too annoying to make it watchable.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He did give some more info on the 1:1 mapping firmware update. When using the 1:1 mapping via the Just Scan setting some users may see a "Garbage Bar" (a coloured strip down one or more sides of the TV). He said this is the result of poor components found on some of the cheaper video cards that don't output the full 1920 X 1080 even though they say they do. So as a result your image will now be under scanned and the "Garbage Bar" is put in to fill these pixels. Ace Beef is this what could be happening to you? I think this is something Samsung did on purpose to prevent users from seeing this "Garbage Bar" and thinking there was something wrong with the picture and then complaining.

I have the just scan option on my screen, and i recently got my first Blu Ray movie for my PLaystation 3. Well i got these "garbage bars" when using the just scan function, with PS3 set to 1080P over HDMI. Anyone else had this issue? The move was league of extraordinary gentlemen. Its unfortunate because the picture is most definatly much clearer using the Just Scan option, but the garbage bars are too annoying to make it watchable.

Thanks for the tip. I ended up using Driver cleaner pro and messing around with settings and drivers for a few hours and finally got a picture that is better then when I was using VGA. Thanks for all the other help guys.

Well the xbox hd dvd addon drive just came out. I bought one for $250. Simply plug it into my HTPC running XP MCE2005. XP recognize it straight away. Download the Toshiba drivers from the web and I can see my file system on the King Kong HD DVD that came bundled with the drive. Take a bit of fiddling but got it working using PowerDVD Ultra 7.2. I have a HIS XT1950 graphic card on a E6600 CPU running 2GB 800 Corsair memory. On the La40f71 box, it looks amazing.

You've inspired me to do the same. Some USA websites says this is pretty easy to set up as an external HD DVD drive and some have even said that if you're really adventurous you can disassemble the XBox 360 HD-DVD drive and re-install in a PC bay. I haven't been in to the stores as yet to look for this HD Drive, but I can't find this in any Aussie website for online purchase. Where did you get yours from?

Also, which website did you go to get the Toshiba HD-DVD drivers from and which model did you choose?

I haven't been in to the stores as yet to look for this HD Drive, but I can't find this in any Aussie website for online purchase. Where did you get yours from?

If you want to purchase one online, there are a few places that sell them. one place is www.dstore.com.au They are also in heaps of shops! You can go to Big W, Kmart, Myers, Harvey Norman, JB-HiFi, various gaming shops etc. You shouldn't have too much trouble picking one up.

If you want to purchase one online, there are a few places that sell them. one place is www.dstore.com.au They are also in heaps of shops! You can go to Big W, Kmart, Myers, Harvey Norman, JB-HiFi, various gaming shops etc. You shouldn't have too much trouble picking one up.

Feeling tempted to get a HD DVD drive, but my 7600 video card does not support HDCP, so I guess it won't be able to output HD DVD movie to the TV via HDMI. I finally got the just scan upgraded on the tv, you won't feel so excited to see the start button of XP unless you have been fiddling with your mouse without seeing the task bar for weeks.

You've inspired me to do the same. Some USA websites says this is pretty easy to set up as an external HD DVD drive and some have even said that if you're really adventurous you can disassemble the XBox 360 HD-DVD drive and re-install in a PC bay. I haven't been in to the stores as yet to look for this HD Drive, but I can't find this in any Aussie website for online purchase. Where did you get yours from?

Also, which website did you go to get the Toshiba HD-DVD drivers from and which model did you choose?

I can't remember where I download the drivers from, but you can do a search on Google and find a few sites. Installing is plug and play really. The HD DVD drive is plugged into the Xbox 360 USB port, so you just plug it into your HTPC's USB port instead. XP will say found new hardware and recognise the drive straight away. I got mine from Harvey Norman at Bondi Junction the first day. Pay retail $250, you might be able to get it xheaper if you wait. Don't forget you need a HD DVD software player. I use PowerDVD Ultra. As far as HDCP compliant graphic card goes, I've got one. I believe if you don't have a HDCP compliant card, you can bypass it using AnyDVD HD. I haven't tried that myself.

So I have the 1:1 mapping firmware installed with the "Just Scan" option and the DVI->HDMI seems to be mostly working. However, every once in a while (far to frequently) the TV goes black for a second and the "Size" option reverts from "Just Scan" to "16:9". I then have to go through the process of changing it back to "Just Scan"...

Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas?

Cheers,

Dan

EDIT: this guy (http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4341575&postcount=2967) seems to have solved it. It looks like it happens when the screen changes res (the Just Scan option resets to 16:9). I've tried following his suggestions and I'll see what happens...

EDIT: Hmm, that didn't seem to help... I've now tested the issue on an NVidia GeForce 7300 GS, NVidia GeForce 6800GS and my Macbook Pro (which only goes up to 1080i) and they all seem to exhibit the same issue...

I can't remember where I download the drivers from, but you can do a search on Google and find a few sites. Installing is plug and play really. The HD DVD drive is plugged into the Xbox 360 USB port, so you just plug it into your HTPC's USB port instead. XP will say found new hardware and recognise the drive straight away. I got mine from Harvey Norman at Bondi Junction the first day. Pay retail $250, you might be able to get it xheaper if you wait. Don't forget you need a HD DVD software player. I use PowerDVD Ultra. As far as HDCP compliant graphic card goes, I've got one. I believe if you don't have a HDCP compliant card, you can bypass it using AnyDVD HD. I haven't tried that myself.

Finally got it working and it looks frickin' awesome! Ended up getting it from JB Hi Fi for the typical $249 everyone is charging. DStore has it for $233 but it would be a real pain in the arse trying to return it if anything happened to be wrong with the unit, for the sake of saving $15.

Took a little while to get the video card settings right as HD DVD playback is quite finicky about the display you use, i.e. must be HDCP compliant. I normally have my card set up for clone display so I can easily switch to my projector but it simply refused to play while in Clone Display setting. But once I selected single display on the Samsung, Hi Def video was sparkling through without a problem using PowerDVD Ultra v7.3 for Blu Ray AND HD DVD. The CyberLink Advisor tool was very helpful to in determining what was preventing/what I needed to do to ensure HD DVD playback. I installed Anydvd v6.1.3.3 Retail and it didn't remove the requirement for an HDCP display device like it promised. A real shame as I wanted to playback on the projector.

Now to find an equally cheap blu ray drive and I'll have a HTPC capable of playing ANYTHING!

So I have the 1:1 mapping firmware installed with the "Just Scan" option and the DVI->HDMI seems to be mostly working. However, every once in a while (far to frequently) the TV goes black for a second and the "Size" option reverts from "Just Scan" to "16:9". I then have to go through the process of changing it back to "Just Scan"...

Cheers,

Dan

EDIT: this guy (http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4341575&postcount=2967) seems to have solved it. It looks like it happens when the screen changes res (the Just Scan option resets to 16:9). I've tried following his suggestions and I'll see what happens...

EDIT: Hmm, that didn't seem to help... I've now tested the issue on an NVidia GeForce 7300 GS, NVidia GeForce 6800GS and my Macbook Pro (which only goes up to 1080i) and they all seem to exhibit the same issue...

Could those running DVI -> HDMI to a PC possibly post the hardware they are using? I'm mostly interested in the graphics cards...

Could those running DVI -> HDMI to a PC possibly post the hardware they are using? I'm mostly interested in the graphics cards...

I'm using Nvidia 6150 on ASUS M2NPV-VM mobo, connected via the DVI to the HDMI port on my LA46F71BX

http://au.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&amp...amp;modelmenu=1

Works awesome...! Just got the 'JustScan' patch applied yesterday.... MY GAWD !!!! Is just about all I can say, some of the HD stuff that I have is so unbelievably clear it defies explanation....!

I'm using Nvidia 6150 on ASUS M2NPV-VM mobo, connected via the DVI to the HDMI port on my LA46F71BX

http://au.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&amp...amp;modelmenu=1

Works awesome...! Just got the 'JustScan' patch applied yesterday.... MY GAWD !!!! Is just about all I can say, some of the HD stuff that I have is so unbelievably clear it defies explanation....!

Thanks reaver. I just went and picked up a PS3 so I can test if it happens to all HDMI connected devices (or just the computers). Soooo frustrating!!! :blink:

Thanks reaver. I just went and picked up a PS3 so I can test if it happens to all HDMI connected devices (or just the computers). Soooo frustrating!!! :blink:

Actually, what did you do to get it working under Windows? Did you just plug it in and crank the resolution up to 1920x1080?

Cheers,

Dan

Yes, I've experienced exactly the same problem. The Picture Size will reset to 16:9 whenever I hibernate/turn off the PC and leave the set on momentarily so that the set recognises there is no singal, or if I Restart that PC and the set remains on. It would be nice if the picture size stayed locked onto Just Scan.

I'll see tonight if there's an obvious option in the set's Service Menu that can be changed so that it locks onto Just Scan.

Yes, I've experienced exactly the same problem. The Picture Size will reset to 16:9 whenever I hibernate/turn off the PC and leave the set on momentarily so that the set recognises there is no singal, or if I Restart that PC and the set remains on. It would be nice if the picture size stayed locked onto Just Scan.

I'll see tonight if there's an obvious option in the set's Service Menu that can be changed so that it locks onto Just Scan.

I think I've got one up on you... My panel will reset to '16:9' while I'm using it. I'll be watching something in Media Centre, the screen will go black for a second and when it comes back I have scaling issues. :-( The Samsung tech is coming out next Thursday so I'll ask him about locking it in 'Just Scan' mode...

Also, I've had a little break through. I went down and picked up a PS3 today (man, it's one sexy machine) and although you don't need to have 'Just Scan' enabled to get it looking awesome, the same thing happens. After about 30 minutes the the screen magically reverts to '16:9'. I'm now 99% sure it's nothing to do with the devices (PS3, HTPC, etc) and that there is something wrong with the panel. I'll keep you all posted...

I think I've got one up on you... My panel will reset to '16:9' while I'm using it. I'll be watching something in Media Centre, the screen will go black for a second and when it comes back I have scaling issues. :-( The Samsung tech is coming out next Thursday so I'll ask him about locking it in 'Just Scan' mode...

Also, I've had a little break through. I went down and picked up a PS3 today (man, it's one sexy machine) and although you don't need to have 'Just Scan' enabled to get it looking awesome, the same thing happens. After about 30 minutes the the screen magically reverts to '16:9'. I'm now 99% sure it's nothing to do with the devices (PS3, HTPC, etc) and that there is something wrong with the panel. I'll keep you all posted...

Hooray for me :D Well, actually, hooray for google and this dude. It turns out my panel was in 'Shop Mode'. Which, now that I've figured it out, makes me wish I'd paid more attention to the big 'Shop Mode' message that came up whenever I pressed the 'Info' button. :blink:

Essentially, if your panel is forgetting settings you need to hold down the 'Menu' button on the side of the TV for a few seconds. The panel alternates between 'Shop Mode' (which resets all your preferences after 30 minutes) and your mode (Custom, Standard, Movie, etc)...

EDIT: Annoyingly it doesn't remember the 'Just Scan' setting when you turn the panel off and on... :-(

Anyone have a hands on experience of either of these new samsung sets and what are your thoughts?

I am looking at the LA40F1BX model.....actually have just started looking at all LCD's and this one has caught my eye and am wondering if anyone has had major problems with this model. Price is a bet dear but I will streach the bank if this is a good unit. OIf course final slection criteria will be actually looking at it in action in the store. What is the best price you have seen for this model ?

Anyone have a hands on experience of either of these new samsung sets and what are your thoughts?

I am looking at the LA40F1BX model.....actually have just started looking at all LCD's and this one has caught my eye and am wondering if anyone has had major problems with this model. Price is a bet dear but I will streach the bank if this is a good unit. OIf course final slection criteria will be actually looking at it in action in the store. What is the best price you have seen for this model ?

I purchased this model about two weeks ago, and no major issues thus far.

You might have difficulty finding one in stock, as Samsung are end of sales this product, so i am told. When I purchased mine, it was the last one in box.

I picked mine up for $3000 at JBHI Highpoint Melb., i'd say that's fairly cheap for a 1080p LCD when compared to other brands like Sony Bravia X, etc.

I also got 5 year extended warranty for another $200 for peace of mind should something go adrift.

PQ is awesome, especially via HDMI, and component a close second. Make sure you can find one that’s made in Korea and not Thailand, i hear Thailand have issues with bright spots on the panel corners.

Any luck finding this menu option in the Service Menu? :blink:

Any luck finding this menu option in the Service Menu? :blink:

Nah, nothing obvious. I tried adjusting any item that didn't make sense or seemed like it may be an Input option adjustment but nothing worked.

Oh, well. Unless someone else has better knowledge, we'll need to continue to scroll through the Screen Sizes and re-select Just Scan every time the set loses the HDMI Signal.

Nah, nothing obvious. I tried adjusting any item that didn't make sense or seemed like it may be an Input option adjustment but nothing worked.

Oh, well. Unless someone else has better knowledge, we'll need to continue to scroll through the Screen Sizes and re-select Just Scan every time the set loses the HDMI Signal.

I still have the Samsung tech coming out on Thursday, I'll ask him then. However, from reading a similar thread over at avsforum.com it sounds like we are out of luck.

So I'm looking for a 40"....

Saw a display model at Clive Anthony's for $2899. JB have it in their catalogue for $3297 - will have to call them tomorrow to see if they have any.

So are they still available - it would seem not in general? Anyone know anywhere in Brisbane? Built in HD tuner isn't a big deal for me since I'm already using an external MythTV box.

I still have the Samsung tech coming out on Thursday, I'll ask him then. However, from reading a similar thread over at avsforum.com it sounds like we are out of luck.

Had the tech come by yesterday. It looks like we're stuck with scrolling back to 'Just Scan' mode. He also confirmed that there was over scan happening at 720p. He's going to get back to me about both issues...

• 2 weeks later...
No worries. I think you need 10 posts before you can PM. I have sent to your gmail account but I am not sure that it will handle the attachment.

Hi Justifier Can you please send me the firmware. olb42@fastmail.com.au