Samsung La40f71bx And La46f71bx

Hello Wilder,

Yeah, the price of $3159 is for the 40" 1920x1080p. Even JB Hi-fi Chadstone has it marked at $3454.

Buying electronics in Singapore or Hong Kong in the hope it would be cheaper has long since been a fruitless exercise. You are definitely better off buying your items here as there are many discount retailers here that are consistantly getting prices better than in Singapore or HK. And at least if the item goes belly-up early you can still go back to the shop in Australia and demand a new item in exchange for the faulty one, unlike if you bought the item overseas and bring it back home.

Amazing!!! Utterly amazing. You would have thought that electronics in Spore and HK would be cheaper.

I checked up on other stores and they are selling the Samsung 40 F71 series for AUD$5000+.

In the past, it usually was the other way round- I remember buying a pair of Wharfdale hi end speakers for AUD$300 in Spore- and it cost about $1000 in Melbourne. And not too long ago, the minihifis were very expensive too in Oz but now they are about the same.

I suspect its due to the Howard's GST, cos in the past, there were many various forms of sales taxes imposed by the state and federal levels. I remember in 1990 I was trying to import a hi-fi DIY kit and was told by Aussie customs that I would have to pay 150% in taxes or some crap... so fk that.

Anyhow, I'm working here in Spore at the moment. So I can't ship it over. Although given how expensive the hdtvs are here- it might make "cents" to import them from Melbourne LOL!!!!!

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mind telling how much the price was ?

I paid $4100 for it which i thought was pretty reasonable. That is with standard 3 year warranty.

$4000 with 7 year warranty? Thats awesome if you can get that, are you sure its not the 40 inch one at that price, it sounds too cheap. I told the sales guy the best price i could get was $4200, but heard read someone picked one up for $4000. Someone posted somewhere on here they got theres for $4k, i told the sales guy that and he said that was below cost and best he could do was $4100.

Zilch,

If you got yours next day the place you got it from must of had it in stock? Even if Samsung had stock you wouldnt be able to get it next day. I got mine from JB and they didnt have it in stock, and told me they had to order in from Samsung. I went to HN to check out price and they had in stock, but the lowest they would go was $4700. I told them i was paying $4500 at JB and they said cancel my order there and you can take it from here today for $4700......gee if they had of matched the price i would have at least thought twice about it.

Yeah sorry i should clarify, i hadnt got it uptil then. However i went in today and after a bit of haggling, i got it for $ 4000 + $250 for 4 years extended warranty, to make it a totl of 7.

For any one buying around brisbane iam more than happy to scan the reciept and post it on the website. And yes they are not in stock yet, with more coming in next week. Also he confirmed that there will be a newer model out in March/April , and that is the reason why this model is losing price.

And yeah it was the 46" one. The store price was exactly 4000 though.

Yeah sorry i should clarify, i hadnt got it uptil then. However i went in today and after a bit of haggling, i got it for $ 4000 + $250 for 4 years extended warranty, to make it a totl of 7.

For any one buying around brisbane iam more than happy to scan the reciept and post it on the website. And yes they are not in stock yet, with more coming in next week. Also he confirmed that there will be a newer model out in March/April , and that is the reason why this model is losing price.

And yeah it was the 46" one. The store price was exactly 4000 though.

Hi liveonimpulse,

Could you please post the reciept, I'm almost ready to buy one.

Thanks heaps!

Hi liveonimpulse,

Could you please post the reciept, I'm almost ready to buy one.

Thanks heaps!

Yeah just give me until tuesday and i will put it on imageshack, i have monday off from work :blink: to set up my gear.

can anyone please advise which HD box i shud use with this tv thanks ,and post thier caliberations for me.

lentet

My panel cost me 2960 AUD

From JBHIHI

Hi All,

I've been following this thread with great interest since I ordered my LA40F71BX (for $3159) and I should pick it up soon. I wasn't aware there was a problem with the pixel mapping until I read this forum.

I have EN7600GT video card which has HDMI and HDCP. So far it has worked flawlessly with the HDMI input of my LG RT-37LZ55.

Before I apply the firmware upgrade made available by Scott I see if my video card will work properly with the HDMI input of the screen.

Scott, fantastic work with Samsung Australia and thanks for making the patch available to all. I've downloaded it, extracted the files and read the Justscan Upgrade.doc and it appears that I have the cable required to do the firmware flash (the cable was included with my Universal Harman Kardon/Microsoft remote control for programming by PC) and is a RS232 to 3.5 mini stereo cable.

If my HDMI video card still doesn't work with the HDMI input of the set, I'll apply the patch and report of my success or failure.

Once again, great thread!

Hi

Are u sure Your EN7600GT graphics card has HDMI out put?

lentet

From JBHIHI

Hi

Hi Jitu,

Which JB HiFi did you get it from?

Yeah just give me until tuesday and i will put it on imageshack, i have monday off from work :blink: to set up my gear.

can anyone please advise which HD box i shud use with this tv thanks ,and post thier caliberations for me.

Thanks mate!

lentet

From JBHIHI

Hi

I wouldn't write it if it didn't have it. Besides, I chose it specifically because it had HDMI out so I could use it with future amps and TVs. Do a Google on ASUS EN7600GT HDMI and you'll find plenty of information on its HDMI capabilities with HDCP.

Edited by JasonInMelbourne

Guest Bullaburra
exeltek.com.au gave it to me for $2950 + free delivery to syd :blink: wee

I am in the market for one of these TVs (LA40F71BX). I checked the exeltek website and the price was $3300 plus delivery. How did you get one for $2950 and free delivery?Alternatively, does anyone know of a better price than $3300 in Sydney?

Also anyone know how it stacks up against the Acer AT3705-DTV?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

sorry to hijack this thread- but I can't seem to start a new thread- I get an error permission not allowed message.

anyhow, I settled for the Samsung LA40 S71bx.

Using my LOTR Special Extended Edition DVD - I got these results on the Progressive Scan component slot.

At 16:4- the screen was way squashed. At zoom it was ok. But the picture quality was inferior- not sharp.

I tried it on the 2nd socket, the picture quality somehow improved. It was more sharper- But I noticed a slight lag. Its barely noticeable but after looking at it for a minute - it tires my eyes out.

However using it in PC mode I get glorious life like responses.... its simply beautiful, sharp, smooth etc...

Can someone help me - or is it cos I'm using the Samsung HT-TQ22 DVD player?

sorry to hijack this thread- but I can't seem to start a new thread- I get an error permission not allowed message.

Go to this thread to see why.

Using my LOTR Special Extended Edition DVD - I got these results on the Progressive Scan component slot.

At 16:4- the screen was way squashed. At zoom it was ok. But the picture quality was inferior- not sharp.

I tried it on the 2nd socket, the picture quality somehow improved. It was more sharper- But I noticed a slight lag. Its barely noticeable but after looking at it for a minute - it tires my eyes out.

However using it in PC mode I get glorious life like responses.... its simply beautiful, sharp, smooth etc...

Can someone help me - or is it cos I'm using the Samsung HT-TQ22 DVD player?

Is the DVD player set to output 16:9? (most likely cause is that it is set at 4:3)

Remember that there will be black bars top and bottom for most cinema based material.

Is this what you got or was the image squashed as well?

Zoom will rescale the image to a lower resolution and discard the material on either side, thus the image is poor quality because there is less info spread over a larger area.

I'm finally shopping for HD TV set --

and I've settled on LCD over Plasma for the TV set (no, I won't get into the argument, I just like LCD better OK? - and maybe LCD will win over plasma in the longer term :D

I'm a girl, so not into that guy-thing of the "size" issue in a super-huge way,

so 40" or 42" would suit my living room just right. (I currently have a 5-yr old CRT Loewe 81cm widescreen)

and as much I have been buying a lot of Panasonic in recent times, eg for my DVR & Audio system in the last 12 months -- I cant find a matching Panasonic LCD that I like - Panny don't seem to make LCDs larger than bedroom/study size.

I haven't gone digital free-to-air yet, so don't have a digital tuner STB, but at first - I preferred the idea of a separate STB .... but.... hmmmmmm.... that would make three STBs at a minimum-before I even connect up the DVR (and the rest....*sigh*) ( ie Foxtel box, TransACT Cable TV box, plus the possible new digital STB - one too many methinx)..

so did eventually and grudgingly look more at the integrated tuner models....

I liked the latest models of the Samsung R -series (with in-built tuner) - Samsung 40" - LA40R71BDX

and I've seen a few around $3K, with a few around the $2,220-2500 mark as factory seconds, or online auctions ---

only thing I was concerned about was the connections - the specs say one HDMI which is nice, but only two component? Is that enough? I do have extras on my Panny AV Receiver SA-HT 17 which I could use.

The Sony Bravia has oodles more connections, but seems to have lower quality specs on resolution etc.

but anyway - anyone have any negatives to say about the Samsung LCD R-series?

- is this a good price? are there better price vs value brands/models ?

Thanks for your help

Rain

PS: I hope not to have hijacked any threads - so before you shoot me, I chose this one, as it seemed the closest match to what I wanted to ask :blink:

Hi is there any news on the firmware update yet? In the worst case would using the UK firmware update have any averse side effects ?

From what I understand using the UK firmware effectively disables one composite input as the UK models have Scart instead.

From what I understand using the UK firmware effectively disables one composite input as the UK models have Scart instead.

I think it is the "component" input that is disabled. Has anyone tried this UK firmware update. I remember reading someone from Aus on the AVS forums had tried it and discovered the loss of one component input but it did work.

Where is the Australian update???

Hey guys,

Is anyone able to get their hands on the 46" right now!? I bought mine early last week. Paid in full at JB hi-fi (adelaide) on the understanding that there was a shortage from Samsung Australia wide but that it will be here within 2 weeks.

I just spoke to the boss today and now he's saying they won't be here until 26-28 Feb !!! That's 3 weeks more wait!

So, anyone had any luck with these and where? Not sure what my rights are here but I might look to get a refund and buy somewhere else. For them to have my money for that long and me with nothing just doesn't seem right.

Cheers

Does anyone know how to get into the service menu?

I would like to see what other settings are available whilst obviously being very careful.....

Remember DON'T change anything unless you are absolutley sure what the result will be.

To find the service menu:

Power Off -> Info -> Menu -> Mute -> Power On

Hey guys,

Is anyone able to get their hands on the 46" right now!? I bought mine early last week. Paid in full at JB hi-fi (adelaide) on the understanding that there was a shortage from Samsung Australia wide but that it will be here within 2 weeks.

I just spoke to the boss today and now he's saying they won't be here until 26-28 Feb !!! That's 3 weeks more wait!

So, anyone had any luck with these and where? Not sure what my rights are here but I might look to get a refund and buy somewhere else. For them to have my money for that long and me with nothing just doesn't seem right.

Cheers

i jus placed a order with HN in brizzy last saturday, and same story they are not in stock, and apparently samsung has been delaying these. I dont know whats up with samsung. but yeah HN said it might be here next week, but if this is 2 3 weeks as u say .. thats really bad!!!

Maybe this is because of the firmware update ??? and they want to do this before stock ships out ?? i hope so ..

Go to this thread to see why.

Is the DVD player set to output 16:9? (most likely cause is that it is set at 4:3)

Remember that there will be black bars top and bottom for most cinema based material.

Is this what you got or was the image squashed as well?

Zoom will rescale the image to a lower resolution and discard the material on either side, thus the image is poor quality because there is less info spread over a larger area.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Yes, I am aware that cinema widescreen mode has black bars. But at 16:9 there is image distortion- image compression ratio is not right.

I put a deposit on mine the week before christmas and i am still waiting. If this is true and its not going to arrive until 26-28 of Feb i think i will just change to a Bravia! ahh this is driving me crazy. Originally i was told 2 weeks, then end of Jan, now it is supposed to be Thursday this week. I know its not JB's fault, but Samsungs. If i dont get mine this week i will be really pissed as i have just pulled out the old tv, set up the new cabinet and wired the amp and everything, but i have disposed of the old tv so dont have in the loungeroom at the moment!!

tonehenge how much did you pay for yours? Which JB did you get it from? The guy at JB Marion told me that JB in VIC/SA alone have 50 of these on backorder!

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Yes, I am aware that cinema widescreen mode has black bars. But at 16:9 there is image distortion- image compression ratio is not right.

Ok we need a little more information.....

Three things need to be set correctly

1) The DVD player needs to be set to output 16:9

2) The DVD player needs to be set to outputting Component (YUV, YCbCr, YPbPr)

3) The screen must be set to 16:9 aspect ratio

(nb. Both TV and DVD player need to be set to 16:9)

LOTR is definately a 16:9 aspect disc (with black bars for cinema aspect ratio) so this is not the problem.

Check all of these settings and let us know how you go! :blink:

Cheers,

Peter