Samsung La40f71bx And La46f71bx

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might email Win about the problem with not remembering the just scan setting when you switch off.

Hmm if they were still developing this update, maybe it's possible that they could sneak that feature in for the LA model :blink:

hey guys good news from Samsung Australia.. here is the email I got from Win:

So, yay, good news.

OK, to the dude who wanted to know about the XBOX 360...

Component is brighter colours, but overscanned so you're missing a little picture from the edges, AND the whole image is slightly fuzzy due to the overscanning.

VGA is PERFECT 1:1 1920 x 1080 pixel mapped, but the colour is slightly less intense as Component.

The new XBOX 360 has HDMI however, so this may prove the best option in the future!

I might email Win about the problem with not remembering the just scan setting when you switch off.

That is GOOD news ! please keep us posted. As i have just bought the 360 i cant really wait for

the new model, have tried to find a VGA cable, but cant seem to find anything , Any hints where :blink:

hey guys good news from Samsung Australia.. here is the email I got from Win:

So, yay, good news.

Thanks Scott for the good news. One more reason for me to buy one in the near future.

What price should I aim for when talking to the sales guy for the Samsung 46 Full HD TV? I am in Sydney.

Hi

I've graphics card GForce 7600 GS do you guys think it will support

1920 x 1080p with this TV Over VGA / HDMI?

7600 GS will output 1920x1080 via VGA connection to Samsung Full HD tv

I can't see how you could get 1:1 pixel mapping with a VGA connection, as it's an analogue signal

Why not? PCs have been doing it for years. It's still a pretty clean signal. I've used Moire test patterns to try it out on mine and it's quite on-the-money.

Why not? PCs have been doing it for years. It's still a pretty clean signal. I've used Moire test patterns to try it out on mine and it's quite on-the-money.

PC's haven't been doing it for years (AFAIK). The VGA connectors are analogue, so traditionally send the signal to an analogue CRT which maps the picture to whatever phospers happen to be in the right place.

When LCD monitors became common there was a digtal => analogue => digital conversion done which was kinda redundant. This is why DVI was invented... so you could send the signal to the monitor directly (and enable 1:1 pixel mapping).

I'm glad that the TV is close...I don't see how it can be true 1:1 over a VGA port though. (Haven't tried mine yet)

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Zilch.

I'm assuming it is too much to as for discrete remote codes for things such as power on/power off/aspect/source etc. Has anyone tried?

(I have no idea why companies such as Samsung don't spend a few hours adding such features. It can't exactly be hard, and is such a desirablefeatures for a lot of people. New request for the firmware?)

Zilch.

EDIT: Just had a look in the manual and it states "Do not attempt to connect a PC or laptop graphics card to the HDMI port or a blank screen will result", so does that mean it's a no-go for HTPC or is this just a scare tactic but it will work anyway?

I've ha my 40" for a few weeks now.

Using VGA from the HTPC is fine, though I have a HDCP enabled video card on the way, hopefully that will allow me to use HDMI :-?

I've got about 20 H264 1080p films now and they truly are amazing.

Despite the amazing PQ for the "real" HD stuff, if you only ever watch normal FTA or dvd's, then you really don't nee this tv, dvd's actually look rather .... shitty?

PC's haven't been doing it for years (AFAIK). The VGA connectors are analogue, so traditionally send the signal to an analogue CRT which maps the picture to whatever phospers happen to be in the right place.

When LCD monitors became common there was a digtal => analogue => digital conversion done which was kinda redundant. This is why DVI was invented... so you could send the signal to the monitor directly (and enable 1:1 pixel mapping).

I'm glad that the TV is close...I don't see how it can be true 1:1 over a VGA port though. (Haven't tried mine yet)

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Zilch.

I'm assuming it is too much to as for discrete remote codes for things such as power on/power off/aspect/source etc. Has anyone tried?

(I have no idea why companies such as Samsung don't spend a few hours adding such features. It can't exactly be hard, and is such a desirablefeatures for a lot of people. New request for the firmware?)

Zilch.

I was just referring to LCDs here, apples to apples :blink:

I don't claim that VGA is perfect, but it is currently (by far, in my opinion) the best input on these sets until we get the justscan thing for HDMI. I highly recommend that you try out the VGA port even if you don't plan on using it.

The best test of all this that I've seen is a 1080p test video that I got from somewhere on AVSForum. The difference between what VGA is doing compared to both component and HDMI is like night and day. When it is displaying the bits that are "one black row, one white row, one black row" and so on, it is doing it pretty convincingly. Maybe the colours aren't absolutely correct, but there is certainly no moire effect so it's close enough to 1:1 for me :D . I don't have the URL for the video on me, but I can look later if anyone is interested.

Also as far as I know, Samsung usually does have discrete remote codes for that stuff. I downloaded a list of codes for the LE model, but haven't had a chance to see if they work yet.

I was just referring to LCDs here, apples to apples :blink:

I don't claim that VGA is perfect, but it is currently (by far, in my opinion) the best input on these sets until we get the justscan thing for HDMI.

I'm not saying it isn't good - just that it isn't digital or 1:1.

Also as far as I know, Samsung usually does have discrete remote codes for that stuff. I downloaded a list of codes for the LE model, but haven't had a chance to see if they work yet.

Can you post them?

Thanks,

Zilch.

Here's what I got. Let us know if they're any good :blink:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/bss/Samsung...0IR%20Codes.zip

Woooh! If those codes are right and work for our TV, they are really going to rock! There are discrete codes for most every thing you want! Power on/off for a start. Source changing and aspect ratio!

My harmony remote is going to love me!

I might see if I can try them over the weekend and report back.

Zilch.

I'm not saying it isn't good - just that it isn't digital or 1:1.

Zilch- it is quite possible that an HDMI input will not be 1:1 mapping by the time you see it, as many sets have overscan built into the scaler circuitry that can't be bypassed for HDMI or DVI. You can have a PC putting out an analogue VGA signal with 1280 pixels horizontally, and 768 lines, and these pixels and lines will be grabbed by the display and each pixel in will be mapped to a pixel on the display. You can try this with your LCD computer monitor, try sending a video signal that is not exactly the resolution of the display and the right frequency, and you'll get a fuzzy picture.

Even a 2% overscan means that some input pixels map to 2 pixels on the display, and some map to none.

So, 1:1 is nothing to do with digital or analogue inputs, it is how the display treats the inputs. Even digital DVI or HDMI signals that are, say 768 lines, are mapped by many TVs internally to say 780 lines (in the process losing definition and making the picture fuzzy), and then the extra 12 lines are "trimmed off" so in reality you are seeing 756 lines upscaled to 768 lines within the TV (well approximately this anyway).

The less number of times something scales the picture the better, and analogue VGA might win out over digital if you can get your source to cleanly map to 1:1 instead of going via an overscan within the TV.

Digital input might be better for linearity, noise resistance, better range etc etc but VGA might win because you can map 1:1

http://pixelmapping.wikispaces.com/Pixel+mapping+explained

Zilch- it is quite possible that an HDMI input will not be 1:1 mapping by the time you see it, as many sets have overscan built into the scaler circuitry that can't be bypassed for HDMI or DVI. You can have a PC putting out an analogue VGA signal with 1280 pixels horizontally, and 768 lines, and these pixels and lines will be grabbed by the display and each pixel in will be mapped to a pixel on the display. You can try this with your LCD computer monitor, try sending a video signal that is not exactly the resolution of the display and the right frequency, and you'll get a fuzzy picture.

Even a 2% overscan means that some input pixels map to 2 pixels on the display, and some map to none.

So, 1:1 is nothing to do with digital or analogue inputs, it is how the display treats the inputs. Even digital DVI or HDMI signals that are, say 768 lines, are mapped by many TVs internally to say 780 lines (in the process losing definition and making the picture fuzzy), and then the extra 12 lines are "trimmed off" so in reality you are seeing 756 lines upscaled to 768 lines within the TV (well approximately this anyway).

The less number of times something scales the picture the better, and analogue VGA might win out over digital if you can get your source to cleanly map to 1:1 instead of going via an overscan within the TV.

Digital input might be better for linearity, noise resistance, better range etc etc but VGA might win because you can map 1:1

http://pixelmapping.wikispaces.com/Pixel+mapping+explained

I don't disagree with anything you say here. I think we are both saying the same thing...

Edit: Like the link though.

Zilch.

For anyone looking for the new Samsung LA46F71BX - I purchased one from JB Hi Fi at Bondi Junction for $4300 :blink: (dealing with Alastair). I think the marked price was about $4999. This was the best price I was able to get after a bit of shopping around.

They have the 40" ones marked at $3500 at the moment.

For anyone looking for the new Samsung LA46F71BX - I purchased one from JB Hi Fi at Bondi Junction for $4300 :blink: (dealing with Alastair). I think the marked price was about $4999. This was the best price I was able to get after a bit of shopping around.

Yeah - weird company. Prices seem to vary wildly between stores. Sometimes they will price match with other places, and sometimes not. It really depends who you get. (Guess it comes off their commission).

They guy at Hornsby wouldn't go below $3700 no matter what. Chatswood always seem egar to do a deal and would go much lower. I don't really have time to do price comparisons between different branches of the same store, so I prefer to get big ticket items elsewhere if I can. If they say "This is my best price" I would like to be able to believe it is pretty close to what I could get at their other stores.

If you do go with JB, try somewhere other than Hornsby would be my advice!

Zilch.

Woooh! If those codes are right and work for our TV, they are really going to rock! There are discrete codes for most every thing you want! Power on/off for a start. Source changing and aspect ratio!

My harmony remote is going to love me!

I might see if I can try them over the weekend and report back.

Zilch.

Ok, only tried the discrete off code so far, but it seems to work!

The only method I have of getting them into my Harmony Remote is painful enough though. Is anyone else using a Harmony with one of these TVs?

Zilch.

great news. I was looking at the Samsung F at Bing Lee the other day and was very much impressed by the picture quality (they was playing blue ray disc). It looks very bright and vivid color under strong light environment. $4300 is much affordable than $4999 price tag. I hope the price can be more affordable when I buy it in a few weeks :D

Ok,

After playing with my LA46F71BX for a while it's all pretty sweet, but here are my top gripes:

1) The lack of 1:1 pixel mapping. This doesn't bother me at the moment as I'm on component anyway, but just seems plain stupid. Hopefully Samsung will come to the party soon and release an Australia firmware upgrade, and it will retain it's settings after a power off. (Hopefully I will also get a serial cable soon to do the upgrade

2) No PIP on component. Can anyone think of a valid technical reason why they would have disabled this? Or is it worth griping to Samsung to see if they can add it into a future firmware upgrade?

3) The WISELINK thingo is almost useless. They don't bother displaying any pictures with the correct aspect ratio, so all the pictures I tried come out forced to 16:9 - ie squashed and unwatchable. ARGH! Reckon they could fix this in firmware too? I haven't bothered trying MP3s as I can't see why I would want to listen to them over the internal TV speakers when I have a real stereo system.

4) The remote sensor is way too low. I have a very small center speaker in front of the TV and it often blocks the signal from the included remote. Also the stand is a poor shape if you want to put something like a centre speaker on it :-(

5) I'm a big fan of detachable speakers so it's a bit annoying not only having to pay for them, but not being able to take them off. They are pretty unobtrusive though.

Everything else is good. Picture seems a bit dark, but I am getting used to that. Discrete remote codes are cool and a nice surprise. I'll be regetting it doesn't do remote codes over HDMI though in a few months I think :-(

Zilch.