Sign in to follow this  
rwo

Samsung La40f71bx And La46f71bx

Anyone have a hands on experience of either of these new samsung sets and what are your thoughts?

I require a set to hook up to my HTPC, so does anyone know if these will do a 1 to 1 pixel mapping at 1920 x 1080 over HDMI?

What are the current street prices?

EDIT: Just had a look in the manual and it states "Do not attempt to connect a PC or laptop graphics card to the HDMI port or a blank screen will result", so does that mean it's a no-go for HTPC or is this just a scare tactic but it will work anyway?

I have had the 46 inch now for a good week. Very satisfied but there are some flaws. As described on AV Forum you have the following issues.

- Overscan on HDMI :blink:

- When screen is one dark colour you have blotches or patces of light all over

- If you turn off the set in MOVIE mode, when turned on it starts blinkink through

RED, BLUE etc :P

PC connects through VGA excellent 1:1 ( I think, havnt checked )

XBOX is excellent through Component

Actually Foxtel through Component is very good

Have to wait for my 360 HDDVD before commenting on that, but the BluRay demo at shop blew me away

So even if there are some issues , actually very pleased :D

Anyone have a hands on experience of either of these new samsung sets and what are your thoughts?

I require a set to hook up to my HTPC, so does anyone know if these will do a 1 to 1 pixel mapping at 1920 x 1080 over HDMI?

What are the current street prices?

EDIT: Just had a look in the manual and it states "Do not attempt to connect a PC or laptop graphics card to the HDMI port or a blank screen will result", so does that mean it's a no-go for HTPC or is this just a scare tactic but it will work anyway?

I just picked up a 40inch set yesterday from a friend of a relative that resells samsung electronics. Couldn't resist the price of 3500 he offered.

Impressions so far:

-xbox 360 is connected thru VGA and running at 1080p. I'm no expert but upscaled DVDs look really nice imo. (I upgraded from a Dell 2405). I get 1080p thru component, but I prefer the VGA look :blink: and of course the bonus of upscaled DVDs and HD DVD addon drive coming soon.

-Nintendo Wii looks "ok" on component, but I think we have all been spoilt by 720p and 1080i/p goodness of consoles such as 360 and PS3, so the graphical power of the Wii will always pale in comparison.

-I have been following the HDMI/DVI 1:1 pixel mapping for 1080p debacle. Fortunately it seems to have come to a conclusion on the UK AV Forums, so that's good news (Which prompted my final decision to go ahead with the set yesterday :D ). Think there will be a firmware update in the near future for those requesting it in Australia as well.

-From what I have read, DVI/HDMI will work but with overscan of approx 3%.

Will try to post some pics when I get home.

img3660uu2.th.jpg

img3661cr8.th.jpg

img3665bn0.th.jpg

img3662xo3.th.jpg

Hi BenBen73,

Thanks for the pics... just a question, are these connected via VGA or Component? I have the La32s71bx samsung and building a HTPC.

Thanks

Edited by Euro33

Was in Clive A yesterday and say the 46" 1080p Samy running BlueRay - It was outstandingly good and I was ready to buy on the spot. But just to perform due diligence I thought I would get the sales guy to show some other material. First DVD, the picture quality was atrocious (almost unwatchable). Sales guy’s excuse, because it was a copied DVD. Next FTA Digital TV, the Channel 9 and Ten broadcasts were quite disappointing. This TV was next to a 1366X768 LCD and there was virtually no difference in PQ. Conclusions, if you are going to be watching mainly SD quality material such as DVD, FTA DTV and Foxtel then don’t waste you money on these new 1080 displays. If however you never watch FTA or Foxtel and you are planning to replace your DVD collection with BR or HD-DVD then you will benefit in a big way. Oh and of course gaming in 1080p will be a factor along with HTPC.

Was in Clive A yesterday and say the 46" 1080p Samy running BlueRay - It was outstandingly good and I was ready to buy on the spot. But just to perform due diligence I thought I would get the sales guy to show some other material. First DVD, the picture quality was atrocious (almost unwatchable). Sales guy’s excuse, because it was a copied DVD. Next FTA Digital TV, the Channel 9 and Ten broadcasts were quite disappointing. This TV was next to a 1366X768 LCD and there was virtually no difference in PQ. Conclusions, if you are going to be watching mainly SD quality material such as DVD, FTA DTV and Foxtel then don’t waste you money on these new 1080 displays. If however you never watch FTA or Foxtel and you are planning to replace your DVD collection with BR or HD-DVD then you will benefit in a big way. Oh and of course gaming in 1080p will be a factor along with HTPC.

Sorry,

but I actually think that the Foxtel movies are quite good in quality but main reason

for purchase will be HD from 360 with add on.

In my case i see that the extra money spent means that I have

a screen that does not need replacing for many years, until next breakthrough :blink:

Hi BenBen73,

Thanks for the pics... just a question, are these connected via VGA or Component? I have the La32s71bx samsung and building a HTPC.

Thanks

I have the xbox connected to the screen via the microsoft VGA cable.

For me it was a toss up between the Sony Bravia X series or the Samsung F7. I spent a bit of time in the local Sony Central looking at the Bravia X and was pretty impressed with the quality of SD free-to-air TV. Definitely alot better than my 32inch Benq I currently have for TV usage at home which has a SD STB connected to.

I didn't actually get a chance to see the F7 with SD broadcast, as most places will hook up a blu ray player to it :blink:. But once I saw the blu ray movie on it....WOW....that sold me. I would hardly watch TV on the set....just using it for gaming atm and HD DVD/ PS3/ Blu Ray when it becomes available. What it boiled down to was price and design for me. The best price they offered me for the Sony was 4400 (didn't push too hard since I was quite set on the Samsung), and i personally prefer the fully black bezel on the Samsung (not a fan of the glass bezel thing). Most importantly, "I read" that the Eu/ Aussie Bravia X doesn't support 1080p thru VGA, which was one of the main factors for me at this point in time.

So a word of warning....don't go out browsing for 1080p sets unless you want your other half to come down hard on you.....cos once you see that blu ray in action you will want one.....:D. But on a good note, every time the missus walks past my gaming/ computer area and sees me enjoying my new set she shakes her head and smiles.....which reasserts that I made the right choice :P.

Benben, have you compared Xbox connection via Componenet and VGA?

BTW pictures look awesome, cant wait until Christmas day :blink:

Benben, have you compared Xbox connection via Componenet and VGA?

BTW pictures look awesome, cant wait until Christmas day :blink:

Thx :D. I personally prefer VGA over component. Used to run the 360 on my Dell 2405 and the colors definitely seemed brighter on component and more realistic (well rainbow 6 vegas anyway) on VGA. But with the F7, I find the VGA in between the two.

Personally I stuck to VGA because I watch DVDs thru my xbox and I like the upscaled regular DVDs :P. Can't wait for the HD DVD addon!

hey all

I have had the 40" set for about a month now. Very happy with it.

I have been pushing for a firmware update to fix the 1:1 mapping issues.. and guess what?!?

SAMSUNG HAVE RELEASED A FIRMWARE UPDATE TO GIVE THESE SETS 1:1 MAPPING OVER HDMI

Essentially, what they have done is released a CD and cable to people in the UK. The CD contains a firmware update, and once complete, a new option will appear in the "size" menu item for the picture, that allows for a mode called "just scan". This mode basically presents the digital picture signal on screen, without any adjustments done by the TV's processing.

So, after January 2nd (as stated in the UK forums www.avforums.com) you should call Samung Electronics here in Sydney and request that a firmware update CD be sent to you. If they play vague, tell them that there is now a known update available in the UK, and that they should order you a CD and send it to you in the post free of charge.

Again, this WILL fix the 1:1 mapping issue with these models. This will mean you CAN connect your PC via DVI > HDMI, and all Blueray and other future media that uses HDMI WILL be full 1:1 mapped.

That aside, Im happy with this TV. Contrast is really good, colour is beautiful. Blacks, could be a little blacker... and i only notice this in the night in a pitch black room watching very dark movies. All in all, I love this TV.. and now with this firmware update, I don't think there is a 40" TV that can match it.. not even the bravia.

Scottie

hiyas,

Is that Scottrichardson from AV forums? :blink: My concern is the difficulty in applying the firmware update, as I generally stick to the rule of "if it ain't broke don't fix it", however I am planning on getting a PS3 on release.

heya benben73, yeah that's me, same scottrichardson over at avf.

I have patiently been waiting for Samsung AU to call me to let me know about the firmware, hence no new posts from me regarding the issue. But come Tuesday next week I'll be calling up the GM and finding out what the go is.

Thing is, when I spoke to them, I made the 1:1 issue out to be a FAULT. Particularly since the manual says true 1080p over component. Sure it warns against HDMI, but Component should be full 1:1, nothing more, nothing less.

So essentially I told them this is a fult and it needs to be fixed. The GM then told me to hang on to my set until they have a fix for it - as I was considering taking the TV back.

Still... I downloaded the firmware pack. I just need someone with a PC laptop and serial cable that will fit the back of the TV so I can install it.

Where do you live benben?

Scott

Wow, please keep us updated on the progress with this! If this set can get 1:1 mapping over HDMI and VGA then I will be very interested.

What price have people managed to get the 46" for?

I have patiently been waiting for Samsung AU to call me to let me know about the firmware, hence no new posts from me regarding the issue. But come Tuesday next week I'll be calling up the GM and finding out what the go is.

Thing is, when I spoke to them, I made the 1:1 issue out to be a FAULT. Particularly since the manual says true 1080p over component. Sure it warns against HDMI, but Component should be full 1:1, nothing more, nothing less.

So essentially I told them this is a fult and it needs to be fixed. The GM then told me to hang on to my set until they have a fix for it - as I was considering taking the TV back.

Still... I downloaded the firmware pack. I just need someone with a PC laptop and serial cable that will fit the back of the TV so I can install it.

Scott

I'm in Perth :blink:.

Have you been able to update the firmware yet Pendulum? Is a USB stick all you need? Or is it serial?

Also, does anyone have the service menu codes yet?

How much are people paying for the LA40F71BX at retail shops?

And i do need to get a STB if i get this, right? Or does it have one Built-In?

Thinking of getting it next month or the month after if it goes to about $3000

Edited by Dr. Zoidberg

i need a PC windows laptop with the specific serial cable.. its a serial cable at one end, and a 3.5mm jack on the other end... a custom cable...

I guess you could also use a USB > serial adapter too...

anyone here got a samsung service cable??

I might ask the guy at JB hifi if he can install the patch for me.

Scott

Where did you get the firmware from ?

Hi everyone,

I have left a deposit on the Samsung 40" F series LCD TV, and just waiting on confirmation if our version allows the firmware upgrade.

Pendulum, did the guys at JB helped you out on updating the firmware?

Tim

Where did you get the firmware from ?

Some kind folks have hosted it for downloading over at the UK AV forums.

Can I just confirm, this firmware upgrade allows 1:1 pixel mapping over both the VGA and HDMI ports? If I can get 1:1 with both my xbox and my HTPC, I will be a happy man!

hey sorry guys, been busy the past few days.

I'm calling Samsung Australia today to confirm I can use the firmware update. If I can, then I will either wait for them to send a cable, or I will go to JB and see if my mate up there will do it :blink:

YES - installing the update WILL allow full 1:1 mapping over HDMI (DVI). So this will leave you with only Component that does overscanning (which I think should be fixed too - and I will pester Samsung for this too)

Scottie