Squeezeboxes - school me

OK so at the moment, I have a Linn Majik DS hooked up to my home network, to which there is a 1TB NAS connected, all in my main listening room.

But that leaves me with no music down the other end of the house, the main living area. I'd like to stream music down there too, I already have a Vaf Octavio sitting there doing not much.

I could get another Linn DS, but even the cheapest one is over 2 grand, and since music in my living area will be of the background variety, I don't want to spend too much.

Soo...... Squeezeboxes? Whats the deal? I'm a noob when it comes to them. Which model would be right for me? Do they just hook into ethernet over mains, and I could stream from my already existing NAS?

Cheers in advance!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G'day,

Squeezebox has ethernet port and also has wifi; you'd need a mains-to-ethernet adapter for streaming via the mains.

Yer NAS would need to be running the Squeezebox server software to allow streaming to a Squeezebox. Some NAS devices are capable of this; some are not.

Which device is up to you. There's the classic (simple text display on the device and simple remote), the Duet (simple text display on the device and small LCD display on the remote for displaying album art), and the new version that features touch control.

Simplest and cheapest option is the Squeezebox classic IMHO.

--Geoff

I reckon the SB classic is your best bet too.. cheaper than the Sonos and you can also remote with an iphone with squeemote..

http://lukeredpath.co.uk/squeemote/

Ed: Ahh but cant buy the SB without a remote :D

Not sure about running Townky and SB together but looks like your NAS has Squeezebox support..

http://www.excaliberpc.com/590776/qnap-ts-119-diskless-1-bay-nas.html

Squeeze Center is the server software from Slim Device that manages common digital audio formats (.mp3, .flac, .ogg, etc.) and streams them to its players. Slim Server On Turbo Station (SSOTS) developed by flipflip is an add-on to the Turbo Station's firmware which provides the environment to run Squeeze Center 7 on it.
Edited by likwidsh0k

I'm running Slim Server On Turbo Station (SSOTS) on a QNAP 209, ethernet over mains to a duet, and wireless to a SB3 classic.

It all just works.

The duet remote is nice, but if you have an ithinggy, a SB classic is cheaper.

The duet box does not have a display, only the remote.

cheekyboy has a squeezebox and I fell in love with it the first time I saw it operating - He might be able to help you with your problem Mike

Thanks Grumpy. I'm not really looking to buy one at the moment, but was just wondering where they are sold and how much they cost. (My post probably wasn't worded very well.) I haven't seen one in a store yet in Adelaide, anywhere.

I notice most people round these parts mention SB and not much is said of sonos (or sooloos???).

when I next save up some money, im definitely adding some more sonos units to the house. everything works so well whether wired or wireless.

anyway, to each his own - but has there been a debate directly comparing the two in these fora?

my research a year ago saw me read comparisons and I chose the sonos partly due to those...

Not sure about running Townky and SB together but looks like your NAS has Squeezebox support..

Hmmm. My current NAS (qnap TS 119) runs twonky.

I'm running Slim Server On Turbo Station (SSOTS) on a QNAP 209, ethernet over mains to a duet, and wireless to a SB3 classic.

Hi lads,

Sorry, but what the hell are you all talking about? Twonky?? :D Jeebus.

This is what puts me off this PC music stuff - you need a degree in IT just to play music.

I'd have no hope with any of this stuff.

@mikizee: I suggest waiting for the Touch which gives you 24/96 and USB HDD capacity. Due for release in time for Christmas in the USA.

The internal dac of the Touch is reportedly much the same as the other SB's. The digital out of the Touch is reportedly much improved over the SB3 and Duet - which is very average in stock form.

You may be disappointed at the SQ of the analogue out of the stock SB range. Then again for background listening it may be fine.

@Chickenism: give me a PM if you want a hand with computer audio.

Regards

@mikizee: I suggest waiting for the Touch which gives you 24/96 and USB HDD capacity. Due for release in time for Christmas in the USA.

The internal dac of the Touch is reportedly much the same as the other SB's. The digital out of the Touch is reportedly much improved over the SB3 and Duet - which is very average in stock form.

You may be disappointed at the SQ of the analogue out of the stock SB range. Then again for background listening it may be fine.

Excellent point tricka, I think mikizee mentions the Linn's 24/96 in another thread. Some info here on the Touch...

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=15432

Nice info on the outs on the SB too, thanks. Never got around to getting mine modded.. might have to now :D

wat44 - I think the big advantage of the aptly named Sonos system over the SB is its multi-room capabilities? Great discussion (might be a bit out of date though) at AVS Forum..

SqueezeBox Duet v. Sonos (cage deathmatch) - Who wins?

Edited by likwidsh0k

Hi lads,

Sorry, but what the hell are you all talking about? Twonky?? :D Jeebus.

This is what puts me off this PC music stuff - you need a degree in IT just to play music.

I'd have no hope with any of this stuff.

:nana:D

IT boffins luv their odd names and TLA's :nana

Agree it gets a bit confusing with all the tech jargon and things you need when doing extra stuff. But if it is a simple setup it is relatively easy (also happy to help) and once setup never have to worry again, and then really is childs play to use. With the Squeezebox classic and my PC couldn't have been easier - install the software, specify the FLAC folder, turn on the SB and couple of quick config steps (few more for me because I run a secured wireless network) and within minutes accessing all my tunes from the couch.

Edited by likwidsh0k

My 2c for what it is worth - had a Duet now for a month or so and in short, it is brilliant. Quick easy set-up. CDs ripped to FLAC sound great (in the office system). The remote is a pleasure to use - as is the web control interface (when your on the PC, nothing could be easier).

Not sure how it will sound feeding the main system as I need to get a better router to send the signal that far. Just invested in a Stello DAC which I imagine should improve the SQ into the main system (yet to arrive).

And to think I was going to buy a new CDP!

Thanks Grumpy. I'm not really looking to buy one at the moment, but was just wondering where they are sold and how much they cost. (My post probably wasn't worded very well.) I haven't seen one in a store yet in Adelaide, anywhere.

:) Actually Mike I meant it for Mikizee, just to let him know where he could get some info, sort of thing, I didn't mean to imply that cheekboy had one for sale:)

Must be this cooler weather hey!:cool:

That's an excellent offer from Rod :cool:

Also, if you've got an ipod phone/touch, you can get away with only buying a Duet receiver (no remote).

Might take a bit of hunting on the net, but it should be about 1/2 the cost of a Duet.

That's an excellent offer from Rod :rolleyes:

Also, if you've got an ipod phone/touch, you can get away with only buying a Duet receiver (no remote).

Might take a bit of hunting on the net, but it should be about 1/2 the cost of a Duet.

Hi jel, do you know if the Logitech Harmony One remote can do the same?

Unfortunately not because the Squeezebox receiver does not have IR. It is contolled via the network.

Correction. The squeezebox does have IR and my Harmony remote handles it without a problem.

Cheers

wolster

Edited by wolster

Correction. The squeezebox does have IR and my Harmony remote handles it without a problem.

Cheers

wolster

Is yours a receiver that comes with the Duet? The Classic and some of the other models can be controlled by IR. My Duet receiver does not have IR....