No-name Brands Of Lcd

Looking in the latest JB hifi catalog, I a bunch of LCD brands I know nothing about. Some I've heard of before and others I've never even heard of.

Anyone know anything about...

HiSense. Offering 3 year replacement warranties would seem to suggest someone has some faith in their products.

Okano. Never even heard of these guys.

If your looking at lesser known brands, the KOGAN LCDs look to offer good value - search for them on ebay - also the Reality brand - Australian company with full 2 year warranty utilizing Samsung panel (as good a panel as the latest Samsungs? not sure).

... Australian company with full 2 year warranty utilizing Samsung panel ...

Unless all the electronics are the same as a Samsung I don't think it's reasonable to think of no-name brands as being the same.

Additionally a no-name brand distributor may not have the expertise of a large name brand. There is no guarantee that their warranty will be any worth if the distributor goes out of business.

I'd stick to the name brands. There are reasons why they have earned a name for themselves.

• 4 months later...
Can it do 720p/1080i at 60Hz? Does it have a VGA input?

Yes, and Yes. I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would stick my sixpenceworth in.

I bought this model yesterday, at Good Guys Kotara. Got it for $989 (down from $1299) which I thought was as good as I would get. I had first been attracted to it because it seemed to have a really decent picturre when running a DVD... Alas they couldnt hook it up to an aerial for the TV, but I took it anyway. It took me a while to get used to the different controls from my usual TV but once the channels were tuned, it was the usual crap output. Hooked up my STB (standard not high def) and all was well with the world.

Looking forward to many hours of viewing on this. Its not a Samsung or Sony, but its pretty good for the price, and better than a lot of other cheap no-namers I have seen (eg Centrex). Contrast ratio is only 800:1 so its surprisingly good.

Not trying to endorse it, but FYI, HiSense actually is one of the biggest TV brand in China, with very good reputation.

Likewise, Aiko have been around for at least 15 years that I know of, though they can't even be bothered to create a wikipedia page. I remember a lot of people used to confuse them with Akai in the mid-90s.

Hisense is No.1 flat panel TV in China? oh please.....

What I have seen in store seem to hold the own IMHO!

LCD http://www.hisense.com/en/products/tv_list...;pscat_name=Lcd

PLASMA http://www.hisense.com/en/products/tv_list...cat_name=Plasma

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hisense

Hisense in Oceania HISENSE Australia Pty Ltd Unit 4, 435 Williamstown Road, Port Melbourne, VIC 3207, Australia

Tel: 0061 3 9644 4100

Fax: 0061 3 9644 4150 brenda@hisense.com.au

• 2 weeks later...