Sign in to follow this  
MrMagoo

Kmart - Polaroid Lcd Tv 81cm & 94cm Dual Tuner

Took the TV back on sunday got a refund no questions asked, simple as that.

When I had this TV hooked up I did notice something else that might put some light on the quality of this screen. Apart from a dead pixel it seem that the screen when I switched it from "Blue Back" to "Black Back" (To find dead pixels) that the screen was not the same blackness all the was, some parts were lighter. These parts were on the outer part of the screen on both sides but mainly on the right hand side. The middle of the screen seemed fine and nice normal blackness you find on LCDs but the right hand side and a snake like shape of a light black. I dont know if this is normal with a bigger (37") LCD maybe someone can let me know what this is?

Thanks

Took the TV back on sunday got a refund no questions asked, simple as that.

When I had this TV hooked up I did notice something else that might put some light on the quality of this screen. Apart from a dead pixel it seem that the screen when I switched it from "Blue Back" to "Black Back" (To find dead pixels) that the screen was not the same blackness all the was, some parts were lighter. These parts were on the outer part of the screen on both sides but mainly on the right hand side. The middle of the screen seemed fine and nice normal blackness you find on LCDs but the right hand side and a snake like shape of a light black. I dont know if this is normal with a bigger (37") LCD maybe someone can let me know what this is?

Thanks

Sounds like uneven backlighting, I don't think its 'normal' although I think even some of the new Sony LCD's suffer from it. Put it this way I would not accept it and I am sure there are plenty of units 37 inch and bigger that do not suffer from it.

Yep thats why I took it back. In my opinion for everyone out there regarding this LCD, I wouldnt buy it!!

Yep thats why I took it back. In my opinion for everyone out there regarding this LCD, I wouldnt buy it!!

It may not be the case with all units (however maybe it is).

I actually saw this unit today and of course it was in high ambient lighting and being fed a poor signal, however what i could deduce was that the smaller unit had very bad black levels and the bigger unit had slightly worse black levels than an older model samsung (sorry don't know the model).

I would hate to view especially the smaller set in a darker setting, I think someone metioned that the specs were worse for it than the larger set (contrast included I am assuming), certainly my eyes agree.

Also I thought that the gloss black surround looked very cheap, the forming was showing through (the gloss finish wouldn't have helped here).

Dont Samsung's have gloss finishes?

Yes I think the new models do and I think they look great, however the polaroid surround did not, the older samsung model that I mentioned above had a matt black finish.

Are these cheap units easy to repair by a service person as I would guess the makers don't put a service manual?

I bought one of the Polaroid 37" spanels a few weeks ago and so far I have been happy with it. The sound quality from the inbuilt speakers is OK, but not outstanding and the only thing I don't quite like about it is the remote.

Maybe there is a better way to do it, but cycling through all of the 'sources' is annoying. It would be better if hitting sources bought up a list or even better if it could remember your active sources or it could somehow use macros.

Also, a decent inbuilt tuner would have been nice. I mean for Polaroid the difference between the standard analogue tuner and a HD or SD digital tuner couldn't have been that much, could it?

Edited by kowcop

our local Kmart has one of the 94cm ones at $1039.

we currently have a 64cm CRT and run that with RGB connection from our PVR. bit small when in widescreen but fine for us at 4:3

we have the option of composite or svideo or RGB from the PVR.

any thoughts as to whether this would be good value given our limited needs?

thanks

bump ?

Just bought one all 37 inches! I'll be back later when I've played wif it!

Edited by Swish

ok, its a piece of ****, it all started with a box filled with lines marqueeing across the screen (like an ugly screen saver) then when i press source all this static picture with random colors come up with no sign of picture or menu.

taking it back today, complete waste of time, is it worth getting an LCD if that can happen straight outta the box? please don't reply if your a fanboy i want honest answers.

Edited by Swish

ok, its a piece of ****, it all started with a box filled with lines marqueeing across the screen (like an ugly screen saver) then when i press source all this static picture with random colors come up with no sign of picture or menu.

taking it back today, complete waste of time, is it worth getting an LCD if that can happen straight outta the box? please don't reply if your a fanboy i want honest answers.

Mate, like anything in life there's a lot of luck with whatever you buy. Years ago I bought a Kenwood hifi- didn't work out of the box. The other day bought a Westinghouse fridge- didn't work out of the box. Grab another one and if you get the same results, take it back and get a tv of a different brand.

My 2 Cents

I bought this Polaroid 37" a few months back and it had a dead pixel but the image it self wasnt bad. Took it back and never bought another just got money back. You pay for what you get I guess when it comes to this I guess.

Has anyone seen the 19" LCD TV Polaroid @ Kmart for $270ish? Has a HDMI input.

Just wondering what its like in this size

Has anyone seen the 19" LCD TV Polaroid @ Kmart for $270ish? Has a HDMI input.

After reading your own previous post (the one just above this) saying "You get what you pay for", need I say more ?

true, just was checking as for a cheap price like $250 I think it is now (15% off) its not bad?

It does have an image on the screen but it's kind of hazy and reliability is always an issue with these sorts of things. If someone wants a small LCD for that price, it's worth having a go. Maybe you could check out some MTV-brand LCD TVs on clearance in Coles while you're at it.

Did anyone that purchased this Polaroid TV get the Free DVD Recorder??? If so please PM or reply to this, I need some info ASAP (Urgent)

Thanks

Zoidy