Sign in to follow this  
MrMagoo

Kmart - Polaroid Lcd Tv 81cm & 94cm Dual Tuner

FYI....

Just received the new Kmart "junk mail" (Melbourne) ....

Listed on page 15 are 2 Polaroid WS LCD TV's:

81cm/32" & 94cm/37" for $1299 & $1599, respectively.

Features:

Resolution: 1366 x 768

Brightness: 500 cd/m2

Contrast Ratio: 800:1 (81cm) / 1000:1 (94cm)

HDMI Input

Dual Tuner, PIP

Progressive Scan

Connections: VGA Component, S-Video, Composite video, Coaxial Digital, Audio output

Not sure of model #'s. The Ad lists 900403B for the 81cm & 900404B for the 91cm. I presume these are Kmart's catalog #'s.

--

Analog tuners only for the money I suspect...

Sounds interesting from browsing the manual. Though I do wonder about the 16ms refresh.

One thing that struck me as odd though. The 26", 37", and 42" all have contrast rations of 1000:1 or better listed whilst the 32" only has 800:1. Very odd.

I might see if they're around locally though.

Sounds like it has one Digital Tuner and one Analogue. Has digital audio out.

Looks like this http://shopus.polaroid.com/shop/public/pro...ish_cookie=true

I'm wouldn't be too sure about that. The post by cttc shows the US site. From memory, the US gov't has mandated that all new TVs come with digital tuner built-in. The earlier post with the local link shows Polariod's Australian site which only mentioned a PAL tuner. I didn't see any mention of a digital tuner in the manual either. I take that to mean an analogue tuner. I haven't heard of the Australian gov't mandating inclusion of in-built digital tuners in new TVs.

Sounds interesting from browsing the manual. Though I do wonder about the 16ms refresh.

One thing that struck me as odd though. The 26", 37", and 42" all have contrast rations of 1000:1 or better listed whilst the 32" only has 800:1. Very odd.

I might see if they're around locally though.

the 94cm tv is 8ms refresh rate on the Polaroid website.

Looks like a relatively good bargain (compared to the 81cm Aiko LCD), it has side AV inputs and the menu layout looks good.

any new owners of this TV care to comment?

Edited by gooseball

Ok, well I think I am going to take my Pyrod 37" back into Kmart tomorrow and get one of the 37" Polaroids. Any reasons why I shouldn't? It would good to hear some feedback from someone who has bought one.

What about alternatives. I probably cant afford to spend more then $1600, and I haven't seen any other 37" sets in that price range.

Welll..that was amusing/sad.

Went to check the Polaroids out at my local Kmart yesterday. Two were setup with a big sign noting they were in HD...but amusingly they were hooked up to a Strong 5300...a SD STB if I remember properly.

Welll..that was amusing/sad.

Went to check the Polaroids out at my local Kmart yesterday. Two were setup with a big sign noting they were in HD...but amusingly they were hooked up to a Strong 5300...a SD STB if I remember properly.

:blink: least your Kmart had tem in stock. The stores in Tasmania haven't even received shipment of theirs yet and its been over a week since they had it in the catalog.

Well I was in the K-Mart at Burwood, and though I didn't have much time to look at them, the picture didn't seem too bad.

There was none of the grain that was prevelant in the other displays, but given that they split 1 signal between 10 or so lcds, it's hard to say what the quality is actually like :blink:

>edit

There was none of the grain that was prevelant in the other displays, but given that they split 1 signal between 10 or so lcds, it's hard to say what the quality is actually like :D

I was in DSE Preston (Melbourne) yesterday and a lot of their LCD TV's were hooked up via composite!

I am looking to spend a fair bit of money on a new TV, but it is so hard to make an informed choice when they are so poorly displayed.

You would think the manufacturers would complain themselves!

I couldn't help noticing that the 80cm Samsung and Panasonic panels were hooked up via component and tweaked. They looked so much better than the "cheaper" panels. :blink:

I am going to make a trip to KMart to check out this screen for myself, although it doesn't appear in their latest catalogue that arrived today. The 94cm model is tempting!

I downloaded the PDF manual from Polaroid's website, but I am none the wiser as to whether it has a digital tuner or not. It just waffles on about PIP/POP. I'm guessing that it doesn't or they would make a big fuss about it.

I'm new to this but interested in this LCD TV.

I'm contributing this information to the facts so others can interpret for us all as to if this is a good buy or not...

From Kmart, Victoria Gardens, Melb.... I looked at FLA 3732B

1. Handbook - photos of pages. http://picasaweb.google.com/mbastock/PolaroidLCDTV

2. Rear of Panel - Connectors.... http://picasaweb.google.com/mbastock/PolaroidLCDTV

From Polaroid Web site

1. Handbook in USA - http://www.polaroid.com/service/userguides...fla3732b_ug.pdf

(Same as in KMart)

QUESTIONS

1. Audio Out - Cant see any 5.1 surround output (am I looking for the right thing here?)

Hope this is a help to all.

I'm new to this but interested in this LCD TV.

I'm contributing this information to the facts so others can interpret for us all as to if this is a good buy or not...

From Kmart, Victoria Gardens, Melb.... I looked at FLA 3732B

1. Handbook - photos of pages. http://picasaweb.google.com/mbastock/PolaroidLCDTV

2. Rear of Panel - Connectors.... http://picasaweb.google.com/mbastock/PolaroidLCDTV

From Polaroid Web site

1. Handbook in USA - http://www.polaroid.com/service/userguides...fla3732b_ug.pdf

(Same as in KMart)

QUESTIONS

1. Audio Out - Cant see any 5.1 surround output (am I looking for the right thing here?)

Hope this is a help to all.

Also there is ..

HDMI Input but no

HDMI Output.

What will this mean for us?

============================

Also there is ..

HDMI Input but no

HDMI Output.

What will this mean for us?

============================

I am not sure what you would do with an HDMI output on an LCD tv? Would you be wanting to pass the the AV signal on to some sort of recording device? Two HDMI inputs would be useful for additional HD devices. One will do for now.

Couldn't help but notice that the unit is hooked up via composite. Bah!

I will try and get to Victoria Gardens this weekend and have a look for myself. Nobody has given a good report yet on it's picture quality. I still don't know if it has a digital tuner or not.

I am not sure what you would do with an HDMI output on an LCD tv? Would you be wanting to pass the the AV signal on to some sort of recording device?

=====

Yes - that is what I was thinking.

If it has a digital tuner would you not then go to a digital recorder? Or have I got this all wrong. Sorry if this is stupid but I'm just strting to learn about this.

==============

Two HDMI inputs would be useful for additional HD devices. One will do for now.

Couldn't help but notice that the unit is hooked up via composite. Bah!

I will try and get to Victoria Gardens this weekend and have a look for myself. Nobody has given a good report yet on it's picture quality. I still don't know if it has a digital tuner or not.

==================

Glider - thanks for your response.

As I mentioned in my first post - I'm new to all of this (HDTV) and just trying to learn the jargoism and sort out what is important and what is not important. I posted the information as facts so others like yourselef may be good enough to share your knowledge as to what it all means.

Again, Thanks for your reply and I really look forward to your views after you get a chance to look at Vic Gnds.

===============

==================

Glider - thanks for your response.

As I mentioned in my first post - I'm new to all of this (HDTV) and just trying to learn the jargoism and sort out what is important and what is not important. I posted the information as facts so others like yourselef may be good enough to share your knowledge as to what it all means.

Again, Thanks for your reply and I really look forward to your views after you get a chance to look at Vic Gnds.

===============

I went down to Victoria Gardens today to have a look at this set. KMart had the Polaroids, Magnavox, Sansui, Pyrod, Samsung on display and a couple of other brands that escape me.

Everything was hooked up via composite (Grrrrrrrr!) except one lucky TV which was connected via component. I can't be sure which one it was as the cables were tucked out of view.

The viewing material was an in-house KMart loop of new releases on DVD and CD (Pirates of the Caribbean, Snow Patrol, etc).

The panels were stuck up on shelves like washing powder with bright overhead lighting. In case you were wondering whether home theatre equipment has become just another supermarket commodity ... the answer is yes!

Polaroid panels are nicely finished in black with a glossy finish around the screen and matt black for the speakers and stand. I reckon the fashion wheel is finally turning in HT gear, with silver on the way out and black as the new black.

The 80cm and 94cm panels both produced a good picture with decent colour saturation and accuracy. The blacks were the usual LCD grey/black, but no better or worse than many others I have seen at this price point. Picture sharpness was good but not great.

They were certainly better than the Magnavox panels that were displayed alongside them. The Pyrod looked absolutely shocking. It can't have been set up right. The picture was fuzzy with bad pixel crawl.

The 80cm Samsung panel had the best picture quality with a sharp image and deep blacks (component connection?). The highlights were sometimes grey/white and occasionally burned out.

What concerned me about the Polaroids most was the uneveness of the screen backlighting.

When the tape loop stopped and the screen went blank, you could see alternating bands of dark and light areas across the screen. They were about 10cm wide.

On the 80cm panel they were static, but on the 94cm screen they were slowly rolling

upwards. The banding on the 80cm panel was clearly obvious on a white background when the loop was playing and less so on a dark image.

The same occured on the 94cm panel, but to a lesser degree. None of the other display panels had this issue. I think it would be much more obvious in a dark room.

I wouldn't buy the 80cm TV. At $1299 it just isn't competitive against the Aiko panel at Big W. The Aiko has superior picture quality, better viewing angles and a much lower price ($898).

The banding issue makes me dubious about the 94cm panel. I'm sure if I took one home and hooked it up via VGA to my HTPC, I could coax a much better picture out of it. I would like to buy a larger size screen, but there is quite a price jump between the 80cm and 94cm panel sizes. I haven't seen a high quality cheapie in the 94cm panel size yet.

Nice update :blink:

I was at Kmart Burwood last night and saw all these LCDs .. and all using composite input :D

it's hard to believe anyone would buy any of them with this kind of presentation.. none of the panels really impressed me at all. They all looked pretty wishy washy greys & whites... colours were average.

I couldn't help but glance at a Sanyo 66cm 50Hz widescreen CRT and it's colours were very nice as was the geometry... Even the cheaper Samsung was fairly grey . I imagine, yes, they needed "tuning" but I'd need to see a FTA txmission via component or HDMI b4 I was convinced the Polaroid was any different to the other cheap stuff. fwiw I think it's worth saving a few more $$$$, waiting and picking up the Samsung LA32R71BDX which can be seen for less than $1900. In the scheme of things it's worth spending that extra WHEN you have it.. I'm saving and drooling weekly at what's available.

>edit

I couldn't help but glance at a Sanyo 66cm 50Hz widescreen CRT and it's colours were very nice as was the geometry... Even the cheaper Samsung was fairly grey . I imagine, yes, they needed "tuning" but I'd need to see a FTA txmission via component or HDMI b4 I was convinced the Polaroid was any different to the other cheap stuff. fwiw I think it's worth saving a few more $$$$, waiting and picking up the Samsung LA32R71BDX which can be seen for less than $1900. In the scheme of things it's worth spending that extra WHEN you have it.. I'm saving and drooling weekly at what's available.

There is no chance of seeing these sets looking their best in a chain store like KMart. It's a bit of a guessing game deciding which one looks best under less than ideal conditions.

You just have to make sure they have a generous return policy so you can lug it back if it doesn't measure up! I am sure once they are set up properly and tweaked, all those LCD TV's would look a lot better.

The quality gap between the cheapies and the Samsung, Sharp's and Sony's of this world has narrowed a lot this past eighteen months. I am happy to pay a reasonable premium for a brand name set with better picture quality. Around $4oo is as much extra I would pay for a 80cm set. When they are asking almost twice the price, I just lose interest.

The latest KMart sale catalogue landed in my letterbox this afternoon.

Inside it listed the Polaroid LCD TV's, but there were no further price reductions over the Christmas/New Year sales period.

Dissapointing. :blink: