Sign in to follow this  
Newton12

Bravia X Series Patchy Backlight Bleed

like2watch,

Probably too late, and you probably already found the answer to your question... but I would suggest you ask the Sony Online Helpdesk:

SONY Online Helpdesk

- - - - -

As for the reason I have been reading this thread...

I have purchased online (from someone else via Gumtree [http://melbourne.gumtree.com.au]) a KDL46X2000 (still with 10 months warranty).

All things going smoothly, I should receive the unit tomorrow sometime...

I was just wondering, if I were to have these problems as well... would I be able to take it to HN (as it was originally purchased from there according to the seller) and get it exchanged or something?

Only problem is that on the SONY website, it says that the unit is no longer in production! Which scares me a bit...

Any help, anyone?

Thanking anyone who can help in advance.

isa

just found this thread.

46"x3100

i am about to have the panel only replaced under warranty due to this issue

has anyone else had this done? were you happy with the result?

thanks

Hey all,

i don't have my Sony TV (46X series), its currently with sony so no photo's yet.

this may be a long post but ill try and keep it concise

i noticed this issue about 2 months after i purchased the TV, but because the TV sat in its box for a month while i moved i didn't feel the retailer would take it back.

i recently noticed the clouding gets progressively worse over time. After 2-3 hours it looks minimal but after 6-8 it looks terrible.

i called Sony in October and they sent a local repairer out to look at the issue.

stupidly i hadn't warmed it up and the rep (very rudely) told me the issue was within specification.

i wasn't happy with this answer and called Sony again early December.

another rep from the same repairer came out and looked at my TV, i had prepared it this time and had it on for a few hours.

he acknowledged there was an issue and told me it would be 2 weeks before i could get it looked at.

i called the repairer to get an update and they acknowledged there was a backlight leakage issues but needed it to be signed off by a sony rep. after the repairer telling me that the rep was on holidays and would take 3-5 weeks depending on his answer & part availability i called sony customer care to escalate the issue.

after 6-10 phone calls chasing sony and them dodging my calls the repairer was kind enough to chase it up on my behalf.

The sony rep came out yesterday (mind you they have had it for 2 weeks) and their judgement was that it was within specifications and that there was some kind of backlight leakage but it was minimal and that sony deemed it nothing to worry about.

i called sony back to confirm and spoke to the highest customer care person i could who referred me to this online article

http://www.sony.com.au/articles/article.js...ategoryId=30607

and said i should write a letter to Sony Australia and that if i would like to pursue this further i should contact a third party (dept of fair trading).

i am really P*S$ED at Sony about this and am now going to contact the retailer and if that fails try the dept of fair trading.

- what do you guys think?

i just thought id share my experience and anger with sony.

i get my TV back tomorrow and once i get it ill photograph the issue and post them up here.

Jay

just found this thread.

46"x3100

i am about to have the panel only replaced under warranty due to this issue

has anyone else had this done? were you happy with the result?

thanks

Hey, I'm in the exact same boat as you mate, also owner of a KD-L46X3100 with clouding issue. Sony only granted me to replace the front panel but not the entire set, how cheap! So I'm little worried how reliable this fix is, I much prefer the panel is intact with its original backend and base. So I dont know if I would do that or just keep the original "cloudy" set. hmmm.

Edited by darkrider

Hey all,

i don't have my Sony TV (46X series), its currently with sony so no photo's yet.

this may be a long post but ill try and keep it concise

i noticed this issue about 2 months after i purchased the TV, but because the TV sat in its box for a month while i moved i didn't feel the retailer would take it back.

i recently noticed the clouding gets progressively worse over time. After 2-3 hours it looks minimal but after 6-8 it looks terrible.

i called Sony in October and they sent a local repairer out to look at the issue.

stupidly i hadn't warmed it up and the rep (very rudely) told me the issue was within specification.

i wasn't happy with this answer and called Sony again early December.

another rep from the same repairer came out and looked at my TV, i had prepared it this time and had it on for a few hours.

he acknowledged there was an issue and told me it would be 2 weeks before i could get it looked at.

i called the repairer to get an update and they acknowledged there was a backlight leakage issues but needed it to be signed off by a sony rep. after the repairer telling me that the rep was on holidays and would take 3-5 weeks depending on his answer & part availability i called sony customer care to escalate the issue.

after 6-10 phone calls chasing sony and them dodging my calls the repairer was kind enough to chase it up on my behalf.

The sony rep came out yesterday (mind you they have had it for 2 weeks) and their judgement was that it was within specifications and that there was some kind of backlight leakage but it was minimal and that sony deemed it nothing to worry about.

i called sony back to confirm and spoke to the highest customer care person i could who referred me to this online article

http://www.sony.com.au/articles/article.js...ategoryId=30607

and said i should write a letter to Sony Australia and that if i would like to pursue this further i should contact a third party (dept of fair trading).

i am really P*S$ED at Sony about this and am now going to contact the retailer and if that fails try the dept of fair trading.

- what do you guys think?

i just thought id share my experience and anger with sony.

i get my TV back tomorrow and once i get it ill photograph the issue and post them up here.

Jay

Call European Electronics on 03 9553 4300 if you live in Melbourne. That is the Sony repair center Im currently claiming with, though it's best to call Sony first and tell them to give you a Ref No. and direct you to EE for replacement etc, they're pretty helpful in terms of service.

i think the moral of this thread is don't buy a sony lcd.

i learnt that with the first x series i had with my mate. both had muira. pieces of **** imo.

even now when i look at the latest xbr with led, i keep thinking that aside from having LED, it still looks just as bad picture, and i cant help but think it will have some sort of problem like lots of the x series have had.

Call European Electronics on 03 9553 4300 if you live in Melbourne. That is the Sony repair center Im currently claiming with, though it's best to call Sony first and tell them to give you a Ref No. and direct you to EE for replacement etc, they're pretty helpful in terms of service.

i live in sydney, and it doesn't matter what any repairer says the "Sony rep" deemed it to be within specifications...

either way im going through the dept of fair trading once i have photo evidence and all the info!

im just annoyed that sony think its ok to have any clouding at all.

my parents-in-law have a 52X and 46X and they don't have any problems, they bought in the x-mas sales last year though, i bought in june.

i notices the same problem with my 40X2000 after a years or so. i couldnt get it fix because i trew the box away and the service centre would not take it without some kind of packaging and i wouldnt dare moving it myself. compared to the 3 philips panels (including their first ever 1080p) that i had, this problem was no way near it.

OK, I Believe I have the clouding FIX!!

I Had very very faint clouds and light coming down from the top left and right corners.

I recently moved house, layed the Bravia down in the van for the transfer, upon re setting it up in the new house I found quite a bit more clouding AARRGGHHHHH!!! OH NOOOOO!!

So here's what I did, I realized I had never acually wiped the screen before so I did, I took my glasses cloth and wiped the screen gently, hhhhmmmmm no change. I applied a little more pressure in a circular motion and VOILA, after 2-3 minutes of lightly pressured wiping the clouds disapeared, even the lights at the top had gone.

Turned the TV on this morning to check and YEP problem solved.

Try it folks and let me know how you go

Good luck

This issue is only noticable when the screen is solid black right? You cannot notice it during normal watching?

This issue is only noticable when the screen is solid black right? You cannot notice it during normal watching?

actually while watching dark movies i can notice it, i am looking for it yes but it shouldn't be there.

you can really see it on the PC channel through the VGA port (had my old 360 playing through the VGA port).

i can also see it between loading screens in games (when the screen is dark)

yes i think that's what they are referring to.

I think when viewing in a dark room and the screen is solid black, you may be able to see some slightly lighter patches around the corners

of the screen.

Personally, for me, this doesnt bother me but i figure others have a higher expectation from their LCD TV or their clouding problem is decidely worse than mine.

Sony are no better, i have now been referred to the dept of fair trading. where i will be pushing this issue further

i took these photos with my digi cam.

i still cant believe the Sony rep said this was "acceptable" and "within specification"

Edited by J4YGR4Y

Sony are no better, i have now been referred to the dept of fair trading. where i will be pushing this issue further

i took these photos with my digi cam.

i still cant believe the Sony rep said this was "acceptable" and "within specification"

to me this looks pretty bad, which is why i am going to take this matter further, has anyone had their TV replaced with lighter or less clouding issues?