Sign in to follow this  
Newton12

Bravia X Series Patchy Backlight Bleed

Hello everyone :)

I have seen in a few forums now people with the cloudy problems, and after reading thru the last 10 or so pages (going backwards) it seems like the problems are occuring less nowdays especially with the april onwards build dates.

Whats the likely hood of getting a tv with the cloudy problems these days?

I have a June built 46 X and have no issues with clouding. I was concerned about it, so I delayed my purchase for 6 months. In the end got a better price and hopefully a problem free tv. Prices should also get better as they run out the current models.

It is good advice to buy from a retailer you can trust (if there is such a thing). Others have been able to return a "faulty" set to the store they purchased from for an exchange. It always gets messy when you have to call manufacturers in to resolve issues.

There has always been problem free tvs (and happy consumers) and hopefully this percentage is increasing.

My saga is still ongoing, technician came and took my tv away over 2 weeks ago and is now awaiting word from their sony rep on wether they are going to replace or refund.

Had my 46x seen to last Tuesday regarding the off/on behaviour. He replaced the entire digital tuner, which happens to be Philips and not a Sony, and away it went. Whole process took 30mins. So far so good. Have everything crossed hoping I have no more issues.

Finally got some great news today. After almost 2 months since purchase date of my 46x from HN Alexandria and subsequent clouding issues, I finally received confirmation from the local service centre that Sony have agreed to replace the panel.

Not just an identical replacement though, they have agreed to give me my cloudy Bravia back for now and then replace it with the new X series being launched shortly as soon as they become available.

It certainly pays to hold firm with Sony until they agree to replace a faulty product, if i wasnt such a pain in the arse to them i doubt i would have gotten what i wanted.

Not just an identical replacement though, they have agreed to give me my cloudy Bravia back for now and then replace it with the new X series being launched shortly as soon as they become available.

Wow! That's amazing and weird! Why would they offer you the next series? Is it because none of the current ones are faultless? Do you have any confirmed date on the arrival of the new series?

They offered the new model to me because the technician informed the Sony rep that his belief was the current X model contained a poorly designed panel and a straight swap for a new one would probably show similar symptoms (his words)

The technician said that he was attending a seminar next week to introduce the new models.

They offered the new model to me because the technician informed the Sony rep that his belief was the current X model contained a poorly designed panel and a straight swap for a new one would probably show similar symptoms (his words)

The technician said that he was attending a seminar next week to introduce the new models.

And he is not wrong. I tried a display model today in a shop by flicking channels with the remote and the clouds were there.

Just as an aside! Has anyone who has had there HDTV taken away by service people been more than a little concerned that it is going into the back of a van with little restraints except some occy straps, no box, no foam, no anything to protect your precious screen? Or is it just me! If it comes back damaged - even slighty - what recourse would you have? No doubt they would say that damage was there before!

This is funny - when I rang to ask when they were turning up as they were late and I needed to get to work the woman at the service centre said maybe I could "Leave it outside on the front verandah".

UPDATE:

Today my replacement 40" X Series turned up - delivered and installed by European Electronics - no questions asked.

My TV was outside the 21 day replacement period (I got my TV back in Oct 06).

I had the cloudiness problems as well as 1 dead pixel and 1 stuck pixel.

Moral of the story: Don't give up! Keep hounding Sony.

Only regret is that I didn't get a new release X series!

UPDATE: 5 Hours Later

Got home from work... adjusted settings and guess what - similar patchy backlight bleed!

I am gonna report this with Sony/Warranty guys to make sure the problem is noted on the records. The bleed is not that bad and the TV hasn't had a chance to 'run itself in'... I'll give it the ol' 40 hour marathon test and see how it goes.

It's a shame really. I LOVE my Bravia and wish it was a 10/10 rather than a 9.5!

Good luck people!

Samsonite

Funny that you mention the back of the van. The technician who came to look at my cloudy panel needed ME to help him lift the tv into the back of his van (what would they do if my partner stayed home instead??).

When he opened up the side door, there was a carpet-padded rack holding multiple lcd panels and we just slid mine into the next available space. If not done carefully this could have easily scratched the screen or bezel and it makes me wonder if the same care is taken when they get it back to the workshop. Of course they would deny any such mishandling.

Hi All,

Back again after the Sony clouds saga.

Result: Full refund for the Bravia 46". After seeing it the Sony rep claims it was the worst he had seen. Well who's to know (maybe a line he uses) but it was absolute rubbish that I can tell you! I think he also new that I was not going to let it end there if he said no to a refund. A swap was not an option because 'Sony could not guarantee the next panel would not have a problem'. Unbelievable really. The magic 'update' that the tech performed did nothing as expected and Sony full well know. Shame, great panel in just about every other respect.

So the dilemma - what now. I have been doing my research and after staring at endless screens in shops and reading every review possible I decided on a Samsung M8 46". I was still tossing up as to whether another Bravia might be an option (you read right) and it was still till I checked the demo model at the shop when I went to purchase a new panel - clouds! That totally sealed it. So the M8 it is. Also do I want to support a company that would put out such a defective panel and pretend that it didn't exist? Not really - shame on you Sony! I made sure that the store put a no quibble return clause on the receipt just in case.

M8 delivered this morning. Very slight unevenness (not clouds!) in the panel between sources etc. but nothing unexpected I guess. Not sure without some serious viewing (damn work) as to whether it affects actual picture but I doubt it very much. Certainly looked great on the quick flick through I gave it.

Will keep you posted if any problems... well, I guess I would move it to the Samsung topic if I do have problems!

Welcome to the bravia X refund club Wiseguy61. Your issues have been going on longer than anyone else. :angry:

Samsung M8 is a really nice panel.

I can't fault mine.

No tuner issues or movie plus problems

Best of all NO CLOUDS :)

Hi guys,1st time poster,long time lurker :)

Ok i have been having the problem with my 46'' x bravia with it turning off then straight back on at random times when im using it. When i called sony support the person said they didnt know of any known issues and i should send it to an authorised sony service centre and thats what i did. Problem is the centre has had my set for 2 weeks on test and they cant get it to do it and dont know what the problem is. I have searched the net about this issue and havent found out anything untill reading this thread a few pages back. I found the ''integrated digital tuner'' problem that apparently causes the resets? So what should i say to the tech guy at the service centre? i cant find any sites that have this problem documented or any other techs that know about this. so if any of you guys now of a site or a tech that knows about this issue could you please point me in the right direction cause i cant imagine my tech guy taking advice from a normal consumer on these issues well. Any help much appreciated. :)

Hi guys,1st time poster,long time lurker :)

Ok i have been having the problem with my 46'' x bravia with it turning off then straight back on at random times when im using it. When i called sony support the person said they didnt know of any known issues and i should send it to an authorised sony service centre and thats what i did. Problem is the centre has had my set for 2 weeks on test and they cant get it to do it and dont know what the problem is. I have searched the net about this issue and havent found out anything untill reading this thread a few pages back. I found the ''integrated digital tuner'' problem that apparently causes the resets? So what should i say to the tech guy at the service centre? i cant find any sites that have this problem documented or any other techs that know about this. so if any of you guys now of a site or a tech that knows about this issue could you please point me in the right direction cause i cant imagine my tech guy taking advice from a normal consumer on these issues well. Any help much appreciated. :)

The guy who came out from European Electronics to replace my Bravia unit told me that, amongst the cloudyness issue, I should 'prepare' for my integrated tuner to start playing up. I knew nothing of it but he claims that almost ALL the units he's has to look at in the last 4 months have had tuner problems.

Nevertheless, I STILL love my Bravia!

Just as an aside! Has anyone who has had there HDTV taken away by service people been more than a little concerned that it is going into the back of a van with little restraints except some occy straps, no box, no foam, no anything to protect your precious screen? Or is it just me! If it comes back damaged - even slighty - what recourse would you have? No doubt they would say that damage was there before!

The first time my Bravia was serviced it came back with a small scratch on the panel. Fortunately the panel is being replaced at the moment and I will be examing it very carefully when it is returned.

Funny that you mention the back of the van. The technician who came to look at my cloudy panel needed ME to help him lift the tv into the back of his van (what would they do if my partner stayed home instead??).

That's nothing, I needed to help the technician who picked it up the first time carry it out of the building and about 100 yards away to where he was parked. My hands were killing me after that. Fortunately the second time round they parked closer and brought a trolley. It was fortunate that it hadn't been raining in Melbourne at the time as I would have been quite concerned about it getting wet...

After the guy told me it'd be three days before I got the TV back it's now been a week. I'll let you know how it goes.

This might be a bit out of line but are you guys STUPID?? Who in their right mind would hand over a $5,000 TV without putting it in it's original box?!? Don't you guys keep the box?!?! Granted, a lot of people don't have the room, but at least run down to Officeworks and buy a roll of bubble wrap or something and protect the TV!!

My g/f's father had the same thing happen to him and I came so close to giving him an earful for not protecting the screen before handing it over!

This might be a bit out of line but are you guys STUPID??

Whoa! Bit harsh! Bubble wrap is a good idea but then the bozos might think they can be even less careful. And yes I do keep the box for a while but jeez I don't live in a warehouse. It's got to go sometime - you've seen the size of these things! Anyway original point is why the repair company would not have the sense to do it.

My g/f's father had the same thing happen to him and I came so close to giving him an earful for not protecting the screen before handing it over!

Nice work. You haven't killed your chances on marrying this girl.

:)

Ray.

Hi guys,

Purchased the Sony 40" X series about a month ago and am generally happy with it - followed the set up tips and am really happy with the picture as a result.

One thing that happens occassionally is that a small section of the picture pixalates for about half a second - it's not always in the same position of the screen and it doesn't happen all the time - It just gets alarm bells ringing when it happens. I have also had the TV turn off and then back on, on one occassion.

Can anyone give me some feedback if these things have happened to them and what they did/doing to rectify.

This is my first post, so don't be too harsh on me!!

This might be a bit out of line but are you guys STUPID?? Who in their right mind would hand over a $5,000 TV without putting it in it's original box?!?

I have the original box. Besides the fact that I can't lift it into the box myself, the first time I had a service call I had no idea that they were going to take it away for repair - this was agreed upon whilst the technician was there. I asked him if we should put the TV back in the box and he said we shouldn't. Besides, even if you did cover it with bubble wrap, chances are they wouldn't return it to you like that, and I have no doubt that my TV was scratched whilst it was in the workshop rather than in transit, so sending it away for repair will always be a risk. At the end of the day, the service centre are responsible for it once you've signed it over - of course it's better to avoid damage in the first place but if it does happen at least you have some recourse against them for their negligence.

The Bravia came back this morning after the second warranty repair (well, third including the firmware update). It appears to be undamaged and has a brand new panel. I won't report back on clouding until I've had a chance to examine it thoroughly.

I'm recently a buyer of a 40" bravia x series. Awesome looking set, great picture, easy to use........Pity about the friggen clouding! Not happy! Why would this be allowed to continue? I'm obviously going to have to go down a well worn path with sony, hopefully get a replacement TV. Could someone explain the 21 day return rule? I have the extended 4 year warranty.

Hi guys,

Purchased the Sony 40" X series about a month ago and am generally happy with it - followed the set up tips and am really happy with the picture as a result.

One thing that happens occassionally is that a small section of the picture pixalates for about half a second - it's not always in the same position of the screen and it doesn't happen all the time - It just gets alarm bells ringing when it happens. I have also had the TV turn off and then back on, on one occassion.

Can anyone give me some feedback if these things have happened to them and what they did/doing to rectify.

This is my first post, so don't be too harsh on me!!

I havent heard about the pixelation problem before,but i have experienced the turn off and on problem. I sent myn to a service centre to be checked out and they couldnt fault it and i now have it back, It hasnt happened since but im expecting it to happen again. Some ppl on here have said that their service centre has dealt with this problem before and they replace the integrated digital tuner. Havent heard back from these ppl on wheather this actually solved the problem. Good luck with it. : )

Service agent came around yesterday, picked up the 46X and gave me a cheque from Sony for the original price I paid. Effectively, I had the use of it for 5 months for free. Just be firm with them, I'm sure they have gotten the message by now that the problem that is evident in the Bravia's is unacceptable.

Might wait now till the Pioneer 508's come out before I go shopping again.

Well, after taking some time to fully examine the new panel on the Bravia, I can honestly say that it's damn near perfect.

There is some very slight uneveness in the blacks and a very minor flashlight in one of the corners, but it's so insignificant that unless I'd spent the last 7-8 months trying to get these problems fixed on the old panel, I wouldn't have noticed them in the first place. This really is the best result I could have hoped for actually - I haven't been so happy with the Bravia since I first got it (and first noticed the clouding), and I definitely wasn't looking forward to shopping around for a replacement. The clouding was the only problem I had with the TV, though a very significant one, and now that's not a problem for me anymore. It really is a great TV.

My advice to anyone affected by the clouding problem is to keep calling Sony, go through the treadmill of their so-called fixes and keep a record of all the phone conversations you have and service repairs. You may come across people like the technician that told me the clouding I was experiencing was 'normal', and if you come to any dead-ends, threaten to take them to the civil court or speak to your local consumer affairs bureau about it. The last thing Sony wants is to have to go to court over the matter. They are giving refunds, they are replacing panels and TVs, and they will do it for you too. It took me more than 6 months but I got there eventually.

As for people considering buying a Bravia, well all I can say is 'buyer beware'. Make sure you find a good retailer who acknowledges the potential problem and has a good refund/replacement policy. Tell them you won't accept a TV that has significant clouding and ask them what they'll do if the replacement set they offer you has clouding, or even the second replacement set. They can't guarantee you a cloud-free panel so don't let them hand-ball the problem to Sony, because in all likelihood you'll still be trying to sort it out by 2008. A colleague of mine was telling me she wanted to get a new TV and I flat out told her not to buy a Bravia because I knew she wouldn't be prepared to take on Sony or the retailers if she ended up with a cloudy panel. And that's a shame because a cloud-free Bravia is a fine television.

Good luck everyone!