Sign in to follow this  
Newton12

Bravia X Series Patchy Backlight Bleed

Have you tried taking it back to the store where you purchased it from...and ask them to swap it for another one...?

Hey how did you go with your cracked screen?

Have you tried taking it back to the store where you purchased it from...and ask them to swap it for another one...?

Yep.

I bought the set around the first week of December, from David Jones (DJs) on Bourke St, Melbourne, and told them about the problem (after phoning Sony) in the second week of January. I explained that the clouding was noticeable immediately upon purchase but for various reasons over the Christmas period I didn't have the time to complain earlier. David Jones said they would arrange for European Electronics (EE) to come have a look at it. I told them that I couldn't afford to take time off work, and DJs said my only other option was to take the TV to EE on a Saturday morning. I explained that I had neither a car or a driver's license, or know anyone who had a suitable vehicle and who was willing to cart my TV back and forth, so EE gave a quote to transport my TV from my place to their service centre - $130, each way, and this was non-refundable even if the TV was found to be faulty. Naturally I wasn't going to pay this.

In my frustration I asked DJs why they couldn't just replace the set with another one. They said that they couldn't because 'it wasn't their warranty' (I believe they offer a replacement service if you get a faulty panel, but this has to be arranged within 4 weeks, and I was just past that deadline).

In my original application to Consumer Affairs Victoria I named DJs as the company I was complaining about, and EE as another involved party (their was only space to include two companies). I figured that Sony would be the most likely to fight my claim tooth and nail as they could potentially have the most to lose if my claim was succesful, so I thought it best to leave them out of it. My contact at Consumer Affairs felt that Sony were the ones to go after, though, so I left it up to him.

Im waiting for Goodguys to receive a new shipment of Sony Bravia's...due to come in later this month!

Hey how did you go with your cracked screen?

Hey Guys,

I'm a long time reader first time poster. I bought a KDL46X2000 (Build Oct 06) in December 06. I had not noticed any issues regarding the clouding, so after reading these threads I went against my better judgment and looked for them....... Although I haven't yet found anything wrong with my panel I recommend if you haven't noticed it before reading these threads don't go looking. Because after some of these disaster stories previous I find myself noticing things which after a second look are a figment of my imagination!

Although, as to expect, black is not perfect i cannot see any major variance in the consistency of the panel. Compared to some of the photo's earlier in this topic I am going to regard myself as one of the chosen ones. I use my 46X for my PC, Xbox360, Wii and in 2 hours and 35 min PS3.

I feel for all those who have wound up with faulty/imperfect X's, as they cost so much and it would be an absolute nightmare for those who have researched and decided on one of these TV's. All I can say is take them on until you get what you want. Otherwise, insure it and have one of your mates make it disappear.

I will leave all that have Bravia X models this advise

If you can't see the cloud DON'T LOOK FOR IT! or it may torment you for the rest of the TV's life.

I will leave all that have Bravia X models this advise

If you can't see the cloud DON'T LOOK FOR IT! or it may torment you for the rest of the TV's life.

This is sound advice.

I (too like 20000 others) am looking at this TV. I want it BAD!

Anyway I have asked around through various source in Adelaide with mixed replies.

(someone at DJ's) said they have had a surprising number of returns on the unit, whilst others have said they haven't had any back and pleading ignorance to the problems.

I appreciate nothing is perfect and I am prepaid for not true black blacks and I would accept some clouding (minimal or not intense) If I could get a store to agree to a HT setup trial I will buy it on the spot and take it home immediately. Anyone tried this approach?

cheers

This is sound advice.

I (too like 20000 others) am looking at this TV. I want it BAD!

Anyway I have asked around through various source in Adelaide with mixed replies.

(someone at DJ's) said they have had a surprising number of returns on the unit, whilst others have said they haven't had any back and pleading ignorance to the problems.

I appreciate nothing is perfect and I am prepaid for not true black blacks and I would accept some clouding (minimal or not intense) If I could get a store to agree to a HT setup trial I will buy it on the spot and take it home immediately. Anyone tried this approach?

cheers

you need the viewing room to be quite dark, which is difficult in most retail environments unless they have a dedicated HT room.

J.

Well, I finally got a call from Good guys (well actually I had to call them first). They had finally received the next shipment of Sony Bravia's. So I returned my 32" V series and swapped it for another. He even said that because they had a few boxes of em that if there was something wrong with this one that I could swap it again.!!

Im glad to report that this one I received is perfect. Perfectly even backlight...no shiny torches in from teh corners...

Im over the moon about it, an thanks to the Good Guys DFO.......

Well, I finally got a call from Good guys (well actually I had to call them first). They had finally received the next shipment of Sony Bravia's. So I returned my 32" V series and swapped it for another. He even said that because they had a few boxes of em that if there was something wrong with this one that I could swap it again.!!

Im glad to report that this one I received is perfect. Perfectly even backlight...no shiny torches in from teh corners...

Im over the moon about it, an thanks to the Good Guys DFO.......

Now that's what I call customer service! You're very lucky to have dealt with a retailer like that, though.

Now that's what I call customer service! You're very lucky to have dealt with a retailer like that, though.

Absolutley... I told him that I would be putting in the good word where ever possible...! :blink:

Indeed it's a shame not all the GG stores are like that, one didnt want to give me a price :/

Also I am amazed as to the DOA policy on this issue I got quoted anywhere b/w 7-21 days full exchange or refund froom purchase I know the problem is there or isnt mainly so it's no biggy DJs quoted 7days jb 21 days (also better price).

So I am getting one post price reductions as I was advised it's happenning 1/4/07

Guys,

Got my TV delivered today. Its Jan 2007 build.

I can see some clouding during channel change. Is it what backlight bleed is.

I haven't watched any movie or anything yet. During normal viewing blacks are perfect.

Please advise.

I have just setup the 46'' after a week and a half or renovations.

I'm not sure if it has clouding or not. (looks a very minor when on just a black screen.

Watching tv and movies, nothing evident or distracting.

Feb 2007 build.

I'm not sure if it has clouding or not. (looks a very minor when on just a black screen.

Feb 2007 build.

Then might i suggest you dont go looking for it..

Then might i suggest you dont go looking for it..

Why is that ?

Hmm I might have some backlight bleed in the bottom right corner :blink:

Feb 2007 build.

More or less ditto the above: I have had my 46X2000 for a week - January build.

The closest the display gets to showing the cloudy phenomenon is when a nil-input selection is made: there is a uniform very minor marbling effect, so faint I only notice it if I look carefully.

Oddly, the black produced during normal dark scenes of tv viewing seems much more 'black' than the black produced for nil input selection.

Overall, I am very pleased with pq. When a SD broadcast is good, it is almost startlingly good and hard to pick from a good HD - and a crud HD broadcast can look worse than a crud SD.

Why is that ?

Hmm I might have some backlight bleed in the bottom right corner :blink:

Because you'll drive yourself mad looking for it. If you can't notice it normally then it's not an issue.

I reckon just about every LCD will have some sort of backlight bleed in the corner edges.

I reckon just about every LCD will have some sort of backlight bleed in the corner edges.

Not quite...my replacement V series Bravia is absolutely uniform black across the entire screen.

More or less ditto the above: I have had my 46X2000 for a week - January build.

The closest the display gets to showing the cloudy phenomenon is when a nil-input selection is made: there is a uniform very minor marbling effect, so faint I only notice it if I look carefully.

Oddly, the black produced during normal dark scenes of tv viewing seems much more 'black' than the black produced for nil input selection.

Overall, I am very pleased with pq. When a SD broadcast is good, it is almost startlingly good and hard to pick from a good HD - and a crud HD broadcast can look worse than a crud SD.

Same as above.

Hi everyone, this is a related topic re- my 5 month old sony KDL-40V2000 Bravia. Sorry to hear about all the cloudiness issues you have been having.

Well in my case I've recently noticed my otherwise fantastic set (2nd one mind you....you know... dead pixel issues combined with fussy tv set owner!) has become darker in one area; almost as though the backlight tubes have dimmed or failed. I understand that LCD's have at least a dozen fluoro tubes acting as backlight sources - is this the problem?

My Bravia has this dimming in the bottom mid to leftish region of the screen (almost a good 1/6th of the total area) & is visible with a black only image OR more so with a white screen.(I have an image but don't know how to add it!?) :blink:

Importantly you see its effect when an image moves through the area & dims in that region. Has anyone else seen/heard of this????

I know this has developed over the last 2-3 months as I checked black levels for problems when I calibrated the screen on setup.

Would love to hear from some experts!

BTW do you think that after 5 months it would be too much to get a replacement? What would you all advise? The salesman at Myer Melbourne was EXTREMELY helpful & accommodating re- the first couple of returns, but time is moving on...

I had a Samsung 40" lcd with the same problem, replaced it with a new set and this one ok.

Interesting thread, just wanted to say thanks for all the input and advice ... I've been dead keen on this TV for a while and am nearing purchase time. I've been tossing it around after reading all this and I think I am still going to take the chance with the 46X, still the best picture I've seen.

I'm actually undertaking renovations right now and my builder has offered to put a recess into the wall where the TV will go so the screen can sit flush with the wall. He's asking me though what sort of clearance it needs for air/breathing purposes. I can get the set dimensions from the Sony Website but no idea how much additional breathing space it needs. Called JB's to ask if the installation manual gives this data but the shop guy said it doesnt say.

Sorry if this isnt the right thread (I'm new here :blink: ) - but would really appreciate any advice on this one. I'm not going to puchase for about 6-8 weeks but the builder says he'd like the dimensions in the next 48 hours or so.

Thanks again, I'll chip in with how mine looks when I finally get it purchased/setup.

Well after giving this unit a good running in, I am dissapointed at the cloudy backlight issue.

Everything else as far as PQ is concerned is fantastic. I have calibrated it to Petmic10 settings, then via DVE which did not need adjusting from Petmic10's settings.

I have an annoying backlight bleed in the bottom right corner, and cloudy patches all over the place.

Was watching Pitch Black, Batman Begins, Superman returns and a few other titles, and the now infamous issues have become annoying.

I tried to ignore it, but it was becoming to distracting and I couldn't enjoy the visual experience.

I suppose I am up for a headache now trying to get this issue resolved. :blink:

Sorry to bring up this old topic AGAIN...

Was messing around with my TV settings the other night and to my disbelief I found a dead/stuck pixel in the top left third of the screen. I wasn't too happy to say the least.

Now some might say that a single dead pixel off center might not be that much of a big deal however, this combined with an increasingly annoying patchy backlight bleed problem has made me wonder if I should have my screen replaced.

I was happy to live with the backlight bleed problem but the dead pixel has kinda peeved me off a bit.

The build is a Sept or Oct and the unit was purchased in early Nov. It's been 6 months. Do I have a case for a replacement model? Is this the reason why I paid for an extended warranty?!

I've been following this thread from day 1 and seen varying degrees of success in people getting a replacement unit. I'm covered by United Electronics and I'm hoping someone out there has had a positive experience with these guys (in regards to the backlight bleed problem with the Bravias)