Bravia X Series Patchy Backlight Bleed

Errrrr... i wouldn't get too excited. :blink: Sounds HIGHLY dubious. My Bravia X had (amongst general clouds) a torch effect in the top left corner that disappeared when the TV was twisted by pulling forward on the right top corner and pushing back on the left. Let go and it reappeared again. This clearly represents a fundamental hardware issue.

Did SONY suggest the same settings to you? did ya call them etc? what did they suggest to you ?

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did SONY suggest the same settings to you? did ya call them etc? what did they suggest to you ?

Yes. That's their standard response. Though the "it will be fixed after 80 hours at these settings" sounds like a new and crazy twist!

When I sent photos of my screen in action they suggested they couldnt see anything wrong with it and I should get a service call on it if I am still unhappy. Experience on this forum suggests that's a pointless exercise. Overall, service level was beyond disappointing.

Main thing is not to let it go past your return date with your retailer if you are unhappy with it.

Main thing is not to let it go past your return date with your retailer if you are unhappy with it.

Rogerthat, cheers for your input, I bought it from Harvey Norman a couple of months ago, I guess i should pay a visit there and speak to the bloke i bought it from.

Definitely a manufacturing fault ! I talked today to a salesman at a Myers store, quoting your unlucky experience. He repeated a demonstration that a Panasonic representative had done at a workshop:

Knocking quite hard against the plastic screen of a big LCD TV, right through to the glass surface, showing up the typical LCD pressure colour effects. Simple cleaning never should have had this effect.

(Still, don't try this at home, better follow the safety procedures included with your LCD screen)

I did some Google search on the fragility of Plasma versus LCD and the consensus is indead, that Plasmas are way more sensitive and fragile, especially should never be stored or transported in a horizontal position. Also plenty of pictures of broken Plasmas out there. Thinking of moving with your plasma or handing it in for a service? Better get a custom built transport case !

If you do not get a satisfactory answer from Sony or the good guys, don't hesitate to contact a currant affairs program with your experience! Hoping to hear from you soon how it all turned out.

Hi, and thanks to all who have shown a genuine concern/understanding of my situation.

Today I eagerly await a call from Good Guys who on the weekend assured me that everything would be ok, and that I should try and relax over the weekend. The manager said "We've looked after you so far, we're not going to let you down now"....not sure what he means by that, but I will let you all know how it turns out.

No there is no sign of impact on the front glass/plastic screen, the crack is in the internal glass LCD display itself, and as someone said earlier, impossible to repair unless you replace the entire screen.

I know my wife wouldn't have pressed that hard, as we have had a plasma screen for 3 years now, and LCD monitor on the PC, and an LCD TV in our sons bedroom and she has been cleaning those screens for a long time now without cracking any of them. So I find it hard to belive that a manufacture/design aspect is not to blame here.

We'll see how things go...

THanks again!

I found this forum after noticing cloudiness on my new (bought 2 days ago) 40" Bravia. It's a Jan 07 build, too. After reading this thread, I'm thinking I'm best off to just live with it (it's not too severe, and not noticeable at all when the image is bright overall).

Otherwise loving the new telly!

I was dead set to get the x46. I am glad I went with the Pio 507 plasma instead. I just could not handle the hassle of getting one with this issue and the inconvenience of sorting it out. That would be the last thing I would want to do after spending $5k on a tv....

Rgds

Pat

I still fail to see how Sony X series black levels are better than the majority of other LCDs like they, or reviews, state.

I recently bought the KDL46X2000 - and while I love the TV, I really expected the blacks to be blacker. This may be just a settings issue, but I've had a pretty extensive play with it, and I just didn't expect black to look like a dark, slightly glowing blue. Is this just "THE LCD EXPERIENCE"? As I've never owned an LCD TV before, perhaps I'm making the adjustment from CRT.... or have I got a broken one?

I can turn the "Light Sensor" on, but all that does is dim the whole display. How do I get my blacks blacker?

I recently bought the KDL46X2000 - and while I love the TV, I really expected the blacks to be blacker. This may be just a settings issue, but I've had a pretty extensive play with it, and I just didn't expect black to look like a dark, slightly glowing blue. Is this just "THE LCD EXPERIENCE"? As I've never owned an LCD TV before, perhaps I'm making the adjustment from CRT.... or have I got a broken one?

I can turn the "Light Sensor" on, but all that does is dim the whole display. How do I get my blacks blacker?

I maybe wrong but I think you can't make the blacks, blacker. That's lcd for you. I have a LCD for about a year as my main tv. Sharp Aqos. I was amazed at the pictures but the black is grey. I understand the black levels have improved with the X series.

I've moved over to the pio 507 as my main tv (lcd now in lounge)and now...blacks...really black! Star Wars III air battlle scene in the begining is F******g Awesome..Pardon my French :-) The black background is black. whilst my LCD, black is greyish and I loose alot of contrast in those darker scenes.

I suspect coming from a CRT does not help either... I too had similar experience when I got my first lcd from a CRT. Took a while to get use to the LCD black levels..

X46 is a nice LCD though :-)

Rgds

Pat

Pat

Of the display technologies, LCD has the poorest blacks. If it is something that really bothers you it may be worth returning it to the shop and exchanging for a plasma or Sony R-series SXRD rear pro.

If you wish to get some idea of a unit's black level, check the contrast ratio (on-screen or native, not dynamic). The higher the better. LCD's have the lowest native contrast ratio's.

Hi guys,

Brand new member to the forums here.

Tried to post on this topic, followed the instructions, went to the empty posting thread and posted 10 times, someone called DrSmith kindly replied to one of my posts, still don't have permission to read it, or my post for that matter, or post new topics.

Is the purpose of this forum to alienate new users?

Not sure about the X series, but the V series had excellent black levels with the Light Sensor OFF, Power Saving in HIGH and Backlight control on about 1 or 2. Contrast at around 85-90 should still maintain high contrast levels for most viewing environments...

It's been a while since I've given an update on my progress with Consumer Affairs concerning my Bravia TV - apparently the guy at Sony took 10 days' annual leave, and Consumer Affairs have been dragging their feet over the issue as well.

Sony got back to Consumer Affairs and told them that they have released a firmware update that will 'reduce the problem, but not completely solve it'. Consumer Affairs said I really had no choice but to have the firmware update installed, otherwise any case against Sony would look a little flimsy.

So I called up the always helpful European Electonics in Melbourne to arrange for a firmware update. Having already taken two mornings off work to have the TV 'fixed', I was not prepared to take more time off to have the update installed by an 'engineer', so I asked the person on the phone if she could just send me the firmware update so that I could install it myself. She said that she would advise against that because it could void my warranty. She asked what times I was available and yet again expressed surprise that I'm occupied with a job Monday to Friday, 9 til 5.

I told her I would call up Sony and get their written authorisation that I could install the update myself, as they have allowed hundreds (if not more) of people in the US and Canada to do. I'll let you know how that goes...

So I called up the always helpful European Electonics in Melbourne

I assume that you said this in a joking manner?

That is the opposite of my experiance with European Electronics...

It's partly because of their arrogant attitude and poor repairs that I will never buy Sony products again... :blink:

You assume correctly! :blink:

Funnily enough, someone I worked with heard me mentioning the name European Electronics on the phone and had the following story to share:

Her Discman failed outside of the warranty period, and she sent it to European Electronics (referred to as EE from now on) and paid them a fee. EE kept the Discman for several weeks and then returned it, apparently untouched as the Discman still showed the same problem. My colleague called Sony and eventually arranged for the Discman to be repaired by EE again. Several weeks later it was returned, and this time it had been repaired. My colleague thought EE's service was so poor that she made a written complaint to Sony about them. Sony passed the letter onto EE, who telephoned my colleague and hurled abuse at her.

I was hardly surprised by this story.

Have you tried taking it back to the store where you purchased it from...and ask them to swap it for another one...?

You assume correctly! :blink:

Funnily enough, someone I worked with heard me mentioning the name European Electronics on the phone and had the following story to share:

Her Discman failed outside of the warranty period, and she sent it to European Electronics (referred to as EE from now on) and paid them a fee. EE kept the Discman for several weeks and then returned it, apparently untouched as the Discman still showed the same problem. My colleague called Sony and eventually arranged for the Discman to be repaired by EE again. Several weeks later it was returned, and this time it had been repaired. My colleague thought EE's service was so poor that she made a written complaint to Sony about them. Sony passed the letter onto EE, who telephoned my colleague and hurled abuse at her.

I was hardly surprised by this story.

Have you tried taking it back to the store where you purchased it from...and ask them to swap it for another one...?

Yep.

I bought the set around the first week of December, from David Jones (DJs) on Bourke St, Melbourne, and told them about the problem (after phoning Sony) in the second week of January. I explained that the clouding was noticeable immediately upon purchase but for various reasons over the Christmas period I didn't have the time to complain earlier. David Jones said they would arrange for European Electronics (EE) to come have a look at it. I told them that I couldn't afford to take time off work, and DJs said my only other option was to take the TV to EE on a Saturday morning. I explained that I had neither a car or a driver's license, or know anyone who had a suitable vehicle and who was willing to cart my TV back and forth, so EE gave a quote to transport my TV from my place to their service centre - $130, each way, and this was non-refundable even if the TV was found to be faulty. Naturally I wasn't going to pay this.

In my frustration I asked DJs why they couldn't just replace the set with another one. They said that they couldn't because 'it wasn't their warranty' (I believe they offer a replacement service if you get a faulty panel, but this has to be arranged within 4 weeks, and I was just past that deadline).

In my original application to Consumer Affairs Victoria I named DJs as the company I was complaining about, and EE as another involved party (their was only space to include two companies). I figured that Sony would be the most likely to fight my claim tooth and nail as they could potentially have the most to lose if my claim was succesful, so I thought it best to leave them out of it. My contact at Consumer Affairs felt that Sony were the ones to go after, though, so I left it up to him.

Hey Guys,

I'm a long time reader first time poster. I bought a KDL46X2000 (Build Oct 06) in December 06. I had not noticed any issues regarding the clouding, so after reading these threads I went against my better judgment and looked for them....... Although I haven't yet found anything wrong with my panel I recommend if you haven't noticed it before reading these threads don't go looking. Because after some of these disaster stories previous I find myself noticing things which after a second look are a figment of my imagination!

Although, as to expect, black is not perfect i cannot see any major variance in the consistency of the panel. Compared to some of the photo's earlier in this topic I am going to regard myself as one of the chosen ones. I use my 46X for my PC, Xbox360, Wii and in 2 hours and 35 min PS3.

I feel for all those who have wound up with faulty/imperfect X's, as they cost so much and it would be an absolute nightmare for those who have researched and decided on one of these TV's. All I can say is take them on until you get what you want. Otherwise, insure it and have one of your mates make it disappear.

I will leave all that have Bravia X models this advise

If you can't see the cloud DON'T LOOK FOR IT! or it may torment you for the rest of the TV's life.

I will leave all that have Bravia X models this advise

If you can't see the cloud DON'T LOOK FOR IT! or it may torment you for the rest of the TV's life.

This is sound advice.

I (too like 20000 others) am looking at this TV. I want it BAD!

Anyway I have asked around through various source in Adelaide with mixed replies.

(someone at DJ's) said they have had a surprising number of returns on the unit, whilst others have said they haven't had any back and pleading ignorance to the problems.

I appreciate nothing is perfect and I am prepaid for not true black blacks and I would accept some clouding (minimal or not intense) If I could get a store to agree to a HT setup trial I will buy it on the spot and take it home immediately. Anyone tried this approach?

cheers

This is sound advice.

I (too like 20000 others) am looking at this TV. I want it BAD!

Anyway I have asked around through various source in Adelaide with mixed replies.

(someone at DJ's) said they have had a surprising number of returns on the unit, whilst others have said they haven't had any back and pleading ignorance to the problems.

I appreciate nothing is perfect and I am prepaid for not true black blacks and I would accept some clouding (minimal or not intense) If I could get a store to agree to a HT setup trial I will buy it on the spot and take it home immediately. Anyone tried this approach?

cheers

you need the viewing room to be quite dark, which is difficult in most retail environments unless they have a dedicated HT room.

J.

Well, I finally got a call from Good guys (well actually I had to call them first). They had finally received the next shipment of Sony Bravia's. So I returned my 32" V series and swapped it for another. He even said that because they had a few boxes of em that if there was something wrong with this one that I could swap it again.!!

Im glad to report that this one I received is perfect. Perfectly even backlight...no shiny torches in from teh corners...

Im over the moon about it, an thanks to the Good Guys DFO.......

Well, I finally got a call from Good guys (well actually I had to call them first). They had finally received the next shipment of Sony Bravia's. So I returned my 32" V series and swapped it for another. He even said that because they had a few boxes of em that if there was something wrong with this one that I could swap it again.!!

Im glad to report that this one I received is perfect. Perfectly even backlight...no shiny torches in from teh corners...

Im over the moon about it, an thanks to the Good Guys DFO.......

Now that's what I call customer service! You're very lucky to have dealt with a retailer like that, though.

Now that's what I call customer service! You're very lucky to have dealt with a retailer like that, though.

Absolutley... I told him that I would be putting in the good word where ever possible...! :blink:

Indeed it's a shame not all the GG stores are like that, one didnt want to give me a price :/

Also I am amazed as to the DOA policy on this issue I got quoted anywhere b/w 7-21 days full exchange or refund froom purchase I know the problem is there or isnt mainly so it's no biggy DJs quoted 7days jb 21 days (also better price).

So I am getting one post price reductions as I was advised it's happenning 1/4/07

Guys,

Got my TV delivered today. Its Jan 2007 build.

I can see some clouding during channel change. Is it what backlight bleed is.

I haven't watched any movie or anything yet. During normal viewing blacks are perfect.

Please advise.

I have just setup the 46'' after a week and a half or renovations.

I'm not sure if it has clouding or not. (looks a very minor when on just a black screen.

Watching tv and movies, nothing evident or distracting.

Feb 2007 build.

I'm not sure if it has clouding or not. (looks a very minor when on just a black screen.

Feb 2007 build.

Then might i suggest you dont go looking for it..

Feb 2007 build.

More or less ditto the above: I have had my 46X2000 for a week - January build.

The closest the display gets to showing the cloudy phenomenon is when a nil-input selection is made: there is a uniform very minor marbling effect, so faint I only notice it if I look carefully.

Oddly, the black produced during normal dark scenes of tv viewing seems much more 'black' than the black produced for nil input selection.

Overall, I am very pleased with pq. When a SD broadcast is good, it is almost startlingly good and hard to pick from a good HD - and a crud HD broadcast can look worse than a crud SD.

Why is that ?

Hmm I might have some backlight bleed in the bottom right corner :blink:

Because you'll drive yourself mad looking for it. If you can't notice it normally then it's not an issue.

I reckon just about every LCD will have some sort of backlight bleed in the corner edges.

I reckon just about every LCD will have some sort of backlight bleed in the corner edges.

Not quite...my replacement V series Bravia is absolutely uniform black across the entire screen.

More or less ditto the above: I have had my 46X2000 for a week - January build.

The closest the display gets to showing the cloudy phenomenon is when a nil-input selection is made: there is a uniform very minor marbling effect, so faint I only notice it if I look carefully.

Oddly, the black produced during normal dark scenes of tv viewing seems much more 'black' than the black produced for nil input selection.

Overall, I am very pleased with pq. When a SD broadcast is good, it is almost startlingly good and hard to pick from a good HD - and a crud HD broadcast can look worse than a crud SD.

Same as above.

Hi everyone, this is a related topic re- my 5 month old sony KDL-40V2000 Bravia. Sorry to hear about all the cloudiness issues you have been having.

Well in my case I've recently noticed my otherwise fantastic set (2nd one mind you....you know... dead pixel issues combined with fussy tv set owner!) has become darker in one area; almost as though the backlight tubes have dimmed or failed. I understand that LCD's have at least a dozen fluoro tubes acting as backlight sources - is this the problem?

My Bravia has this dimming in the bottom mid to leftish region of the screen (almost a good 1/6th of the total area) & is visible with a black only image OR more so with a white screen.(I have an image but don't know how to add it!?) :blink:

Importantly you see its effect when an image moves through the area & dims in that region. Has anyone else seen/heard of this????

I know this has developed over the last 2-3 months as I checked black levels for problems when I calibrated the screen on setup.

Would love to hear from some experts!

BTW do you think that after 5 months it would be too much to get a replacement? What would you all advise? The salesman at Myer Melbourne was EXTREMELY helpful & accommodating re- the first couple of returns, but time is moving on...

Interesting thread, just wanted to say thanks for all the input and advice ... I've been dead keen on this TV for a while and am nearing purchase time. I've been tossing it around after reading all this and I think I am still going to take the chance with the 46X, still the best picture I've seen.

I'm actually undertaking renovations right now and my builder has offered to put a recess into the wall where the TV will go so the screen can sit flush with the wall. He's asking me though what sort of clearance it needs for air/breathing purposes. I can get the set dimensions from the Sony Website but no idea how much additional breathing space it needs. Called JB's to ask if the installation manual gives this data but the shop guy said it doesnt say.

Sorry if this isnt the right thread (I'm new here :blink: ) - but would really appreciate any advice on this one. I'm not going to puchase for about 6-8 weeks but the builder says he'd like the dimensions in the next 48 hours or so.

Thanks again, I'll chip in with how mine looks when I finally get it purchased/setup.

Well after giving this unit a good running in, I am dissapointed at the cloudy backlight issue.

Everything else as far as PQ is concerned is fantastic. I have calibrated it to Petmic10 settings, then via DVE which did not need adjusting from Petmic10's settings.

I have an annoying backlight bleed in the bottom right corner, and cloudy patches all over the place.

Was watching Pitch Black, Batman Begins, Superman returns and a few other titles, and the now infamous issues have become annoying.

I tried to ignore it, but it was becoming to distracting and I couldn't enjoy the visual experience.

I suppose I am up for a headache now trying to get this issue resolved. :blink:

Sorry to bring up this old topic AGAIN...

Was messing around with my TV settings the other night and to my disbelief I found a dead/stuck pixel in the top left third of the screen. I wasn't too happy to say the least.

Now some might say that a single dead pixel off center might not be that much of a big deal however, this combined with an increasingly annoying patchy backlight bleed problem has made me wonder if I should have my screen replaced.

I was happy to live with the backlight bleed problem but the dead pixel has kinda peeved me off a bit.

The build is a Sept or Oct and the unit was purchased in early Nov. It's been 6 months. Do I have a case for a replacement model? Is this the reason why I paid for an extended warranty?!

I've been following this thread from day 1 and seen varying degrees of success in people getting a replacement unit. I'm covered by United Electronics and I'm hoping someone out there has had a positive experience with these guys (in regards to the backlight bleed problem with the Bravias)