Bravia X Series Patchy Backlight Bleed

Sorry if this is in the wrong section

I have just bought a kdl40x2000 and ps3.

Generally i am very happy wuth the tv - very little clouding that seems to be a problem with these tvs however when watching blu ray (and anything for that matter) when the camera pans it goes very blurry...even if the pan is very slow.

I get minimal blurring on fast action scenes that the camera stays still on

Is this an LCD issue - i dont recall it happening on my 42" LG Plasma that was significantly cheaper! I also thought it might just be that i am noticing it because its HD and its always happened

Sorry to be very stupid but it is driving me crazy

Thanks in advance

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally i am very happy wuth the tv - very little clouding that seems to be a problem with these tvs however when watching blu ray (and anything for that matter) when the camera pans it goes very blurry...even if the pan is very slow.

Hi Macca,

As an ex Bravia owner (clouds) I can tell you that I noticed blurring if the Noise Reduction setting was on at all. Turn it off or to 0. Not sure if this relates to your TV. Hope it helps

I havent heard about the pixelation problem before,but i have experienced the turn off and on problem. I sent myn to a service centre to be checked out and they couldnt fault it and i now have it back, It hasnt happened since but im expecting it to happen again. Some ppl on here have said that their service centre has dealt with this problem before and they replace the integrated digital tuner. Havent heard back from these ppl on wheather this actually solved the problem. Good luck with it. : )

Hi guys,

I'm an extremely happy 40X2000 buyer. I've had the set for about a month and I'm trully impressed. No cloud issues at all.

But, always a but, recently whilst watching some shows in HD, I've started noticing pixelation on bright colours especially when being moved on the screen.

Initially thought it might be a poor signal slightly cutting in and out. This is not being seen on SD with same program.

At present the Signal bar is showing about 75 - 80 %. I checked all the cabling, even looked at the antenna, my SD TOPField is showing full strenght (100%).

I've connected the signal staight into the TV but no change on the signal strength.

Have other people noticed the Pixelation (red seems to be the worse). Not sure if its the signal in Tassy or the set. Family would rather watch SD due to this effect.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi guys,

Looking to take the plunge and try and score a good deal on the current 46' x-series model before the new one comes out.

Just wondering has anyone had the clouding issue with a recently built 46' model?

Hi guys,

Looking to take the plunge and try and score a good deal on the current 46' x-series model before the new one comes out.

Just wondering has anyone had the clouding issue with a recently built 46' model?

Sony gave me my money back because they couldn't guarantee a cloud free replacement - that says it all! If you do buy one get the shop to guarantee that you can bring it back if you find clouding - no questions asked.

Hi Macca,

As an ex Bravia owner (clouds) I can tell you that I noticed blurring if the Noise Reduction setting was on at all. Turn it off or to 0. Not sure if this relates to your TV. Hope it helps

Thanks wiseguy

I have all noise reduction edge enhancer etc turned off...i am hoping its a faulty tv..can u reccomend a replacement?

Thanks

Sony gave me my money back because they couldn't guarantee a cloud free replacement - that says it all! If you do buy one get the shop to guarantee that you can bring it back if you find clouding - no questions asked.

That's great you got that guarantee. Just wondering what store did you originally buy from?

Hopefully, I can get HN to give me that guarantee in writing.

Edited by cyl55

That's great you got that guarantee. Just wondering what store did you originally buy from?

Hopefully, I can get HN to give me that guarantee in writing.

Original X46 from Rick Hart (Osborne Park, Perth, not sure if they are in Eastern States). Don't know if I could recommend then to anyone though. They didn't exactly bend over backwards when I called about the clouding. The money back (including my extended warranty) came from Sony direct. The Good Guys (Osborne Park) were willing to give the guarantee and were actually willing to pull some out of the box to check for clouding. The display model had it! But as I have mentioned in a previous reply I decided to get the Samsung M8 with that guarantee instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, im thinking of buying a Bravix X very soon, I dont want to wait for the new models.

i just want to check, willl the latest build models still have the clouding issue? is there a fix?

anything worth mentioning?

or should i get a Sharp Aquos?

Edited by Godem

• 3 months later...
Hi, im thinking of buying a Bravix X very soon, I dont want to wait for the new models.

i just want to check, willl the latest build models still have the clouding issue? is there a fix?

I have the same question,

Do newer model Bravia owners have this issue?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I have the same question,

Do newer model Bravia owners have this issue?

yea they do, bought a bravia today and it has a cloud on the top right corner. seems like a trend here with most brands not just sony as my last 5 faulty sammys also had cloud issues except some of those were alot worse. i guess its a give and take as with technology comes flaws.....sometimes huges ones at that. in saying that, is a cloud in one corner valid enough for an exchange?

yea they do, bought a bravia today and it has a cloud on the top right corner. seems like a trend here with most brands not just sony as my last 5 faulty sammys also had cloud issues except some of those were alot worse. i guess its a give and take as with technology comes flaws.....sometimes huges ones at that. in saying that, is a cloud in one corner valid enough for an exchange?

My belief is that if the clouds impact negatively on your viewing experience then it's a fault, and should be returned.

I'll be getting my 5th 46XBR this week and i'll continue to return them till I get a good set. If I wanted a sub standard tv I would have bought an LG.

My belief is that if the clouds impact negatively on your viewing experience then it's a fault, and should be returned.

I'll be getting my 5th 46XBR this week and i'll continue to return them till I get a good set. If I wanted a sub standard tv I would have bought an LG.

ouch I feel you there - had the same amount of returns on samsungs last week. where did you purchase your XBR?

ouch I feel you there - had the same amount of returns on samsungs last week. where did you purchase your XBR?
I'd like to know that too. Most stores would tell you to piss off long before the 5th exchange.

Videopro originally. Exchanged one, viewed the third set in store, which had dead pixels and clouding evident immediatley. At this stage I got a refund.

Purchased another at JB the same day for less money, this set is being exchanged this week.

The clouding that you are experiencing on your new set what sort of Tempreatures is the room at while viewing?

Between 20-30 degrees I guess. Whatever the ambient temp has been here in Brisbane. I don't have any air conditioning and the house is pretty open and has good airflow.

My original set didn't have any clouding only flashlights. These only appeared after the set had been on for 1 1/2 hours and had heated up. I have noticed that the cloudy sets do get worse as the ambient temp decreases. I'd be interested to see how the clouds look when the temp drops to around 10 degrees.

Well, after several months of trying we have received a replacement for our original X Series and last night unpacked out KDL XBR40 1300.

And before plugging in the aerial we noticed a shadowing on the set up text on the screen. After attaching the aerial and running the set up the reception is worse than on the old model, seems like the top half of the screen is slightly out of focus/ a little hazy. Could also not get sound on SBS HD in the heart of Melb where the old set picked it up.

So before I muck around with the Picture controls, does anyone have any ideas I can try?

Thanks

I know what you mean, after 5 mths of dealing with Sony I am becoming quite sick of the whole thing. had the TV on again last night and it is just not right. They look fine in the shops, but just can't seem to get one working at home as it should.

I know what you mean, after 5 mths of dealing with Sony I am becoming quite sick of the whole thing. had the TV on again last night and it is just not right. They look fine in the shops, but just can't seem to get one working at home as it should.

funny thing (ok maybe not so funny) - after all this light bleed education, I purchased a new SE W910i mobile 2 days ago and was bored so I checked the screen to see if the bleed was limited to tvs.....and voila what do you know, the bottom edge has backlight bleed too.

• 2 months later...

Just thought i would add my findings with my recently purchased 46X3100 (April 2008 build date).

Last night i tested it for clouding (pitchback room, tv on the too-bright 'Standard' setting, on a black input screen) and i didn't seem to find any clouding as reported by others. It does have some torch type backlight bleeding (as does almost every LCD on the market) in the top corners and middle right, but this isn't appearing as "clouding" and lessens somewhat when lowering the backlighting or is viewed in non-pitchblack suroundings. Personally i think the Sony's are way too bright out of the box so prefer a lowered backlight setting anyway, besides the fact i never watch tv with all the lights out, so i don't see this as being a major issue.

So apart from some torching this TV amazes me with its picture quality. Free-to-air, 1080i HD looks stunning, even SD is do-able (+4m viewing distance helps that i guess) but i find i simply don't watch SD anymore as HD just looks too good. I even find i'm watching shows i normally wouldn't (Neighbours? Eeek!) just to check out the detail in the picture. Hopefully this is a novelty that will wear off sooner rather than later... :blush:

I also tested the PC video playback & gaming performance (PC), and its also brilliant. Was running CoD4 at full 1920x1080p and it looked simply stunning. Colours seemed to match my LCD monitor, and i found no blurring or shuttering, apart from the fact the stupidly high res. was killing my graphics card a little (but was still getting ~30FPS so should not affect the tv's performance).

So apart from some minor torching, which is only noticeable in very low light suroundings and when the picture is pin-cushioned, i'm very pleased with its performance. :)

--------edit------

Forgot to ask, have many people run the firmware upgrade on their X series?

Did you notice any changes that are worthwhile?

If so how do i go about obtaining the firmware?

Edited by like2watch