Bravia X Series Patchy Backlight Bleed

Guest MarkRD

Thanks everyone, it is definitely not backlight bleed - but a failing/failed & intermittent fluoro backlight tube.

To compound the issue the screen is now working perfectly again!, after a few hours rest.

I am glad I have photographic proof of the problem.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MarkRD

An update if anyone is still listening!

I had a Sony Authorised Repairer come and check the Bravia V 40" today. I was completely wrong re- a faulty backlight tube. Apparently there are 11 tubes in the set & even if several went you would not really notice it.

No, the problem IS in the panel itself - very weird & unexpected localised darkening in a huge rectangular area with soft edges.

Now, all that Sony has to do is pony up with a NEW set or replace only the panel with a new one. Either way, I'm praying that the next one doesn't have dead/stuck pixels OR backlight bleed!!! :0

Cheers.

Issue continues

I have had my 40' "fixed" by the official SONY guys here in melb to recieve a set back that still has the issues (even after a new panel) and with a worse picture than before, watched the golf in HD formatt and saw a white line go accross the putting green, not a ball. News broadcast backgrounds are now out of focus. Have rung SONY twice since and yet to get a reply. On advice of repairer bought the extended warranty. Does that speak volumes !

Edited by burstock

Thanks Rhodesy101,

I found the 'heat treatment' approach strange, & I am VERY skeptical. (I would expect an LCD panel to be hermetically sealed)

This recommendation is coming from an authorised Sony repairer in Melbourne, who claims that it has worked for others!

Actually I wouldn't describe my issue as 'clouding' as the black on my Bravia is purty nice and even- it really is a large dimmer area.

If anyone else has ideas & comments about my post I would also love to hear them.

ps Glad to hear about the Samsung.

had the guy around to repair my set and he mentioned the same, leave it on for a while. After I pointed out that I had had it for 8 weeks he somehow brought up a menu that showed it had been on for about 200hrs. He then took it way to be repaired. See my post dated 20/6 for the reults of that.

Guest MarkRD

I spoke 'firmly' to Sony the other day about my displeasure re- faulty panel, especially as the Sony/Authorised Service 'technique' (40hr burn-in) made the problem appalling. I have stated that I REALLY feel that they should replace the set, as it is still relatively new & perhaps the fault was waiting to develop all along. ie- a 'lemon'

I'll be unimpressed if the panel only is replaced & the problem is still unresolved or worse.

Hopefully, a replacement set might be from a later & better manufacturing date/batch.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as I hadn't heard back from Sony about a month after last calling them, I gave them another ring.

They said that they were going to replace the panel (I'm presuming this means changing the LCD on the TV rather than swapping the whole TV).

Apparently they told my local authorised repair centre, European Electronics, to call me up to arrange this weeks ago, though I've heard nothing from them. EE really are a bunch of cowboys...

Guest MarkRD

Hi magictorch,

I have had similar lack of contact from Sony to advise what their 'decision' is. I have been told there is a backlog of cases (hmm wonder what they are!?)

What was the problem with your set & is it a V or X series?

Cheers.

I bought the bravia 46" x around a couple months ago, had the patchy backlight bleed but it didnt really bother me at the time untill the right hand side of my set would start to display weird artifacts like a redish colour band 2 inches across the panel when certain scenes and or colours would display in that area. Had those european electronics techs come over to inspect my panel, they where baffled they had never seen this type of problem before, his words exactly where " its like the panels gone into overdrive mode and its getting pushed to its limits".

The only way to make this problem dissapear was to reduce contrast to around 80 and backlight all the way down which resulted in a dull picture - i told him straight out theres no way im gonna run it that low - i paid over $5k for this it's supposed to work as advertised. He told me to take it back because it was relatively new, so i called up from where i purchased it from, while he filled out the paperwork on the problem.

They where more than happy to replace the set but the only one left in stock they had was one on display, the guy i spoke to told me not to worry seeing as they just put it up for display 1 day ago so it was relatively new, anyways exchanged the panel over bought it home and first thing i noticed was 2 bright pixels near the centre of the screen by this time u can sorta guess what i was thinking...

spoke to the same guy he was more than happy to pay for a courier to come and pick up the panel and bring me a new one from another store where they had more panels in stock - next day i received the set hooked it all up with fingers crossed : walla april 2007 build no patchy backlight bleed no other noticable problems now im as happy as can be that it just works!

I've had the KDL46X2000 (3 of them) since Feb and had the latest only 3 months. It has a little clouding but I've decided to live with it. Now however it has started another strange behaviour. Over the last month it has on 3 occasions turned itself off then back on instantly.

No other symptoms, noises or picture degredation, just this weird power off then back on thing. Just wondering if anyone else has struck the same issue. Has been reported to Sony and I'm waiting for their service agent to get back to me.

I luv the picture and features of the 46X but I'm far from happy with it's sorting out. Hopefully it's only minor and something a reset will fix.

Sounds just like the well known (by Sony) shut down/crash fault that afflicts Sony TV’s fitted with an integrated digital tuner.

Sony LCD’s and the 60” SXRD TV’s are affected.

I've had the KDL46X2000 (3 of them) since Feb and had the latest only 3 months. It has a little clouding but I've decided to live with it. Now however it has started another strange behaviour. Over the last month it has on 3 occasions turned itself off then back on instantly.

No other symptoms, noises or picture degredation, just this weird power off then back on thing. Just wondering if anyone else has struck the same issue. Has been reported to Sony and I'm waiting for their service agent to get back to me.

I luv the picture and features of the 46X but I'm far from happy with it's sorting out. Hopefully it's only minor and something a reset will fix.

If it's the power supply it'll only get worse before it gets better. One day it'll turn off and then not back on at all, good thing to get it looked at ASAP, problem is you probably can't make it replicate the issue when a tech is visiting if it just happens randomly.

It’s most likely not the power supply. Only Sony TV’s with built in digital tuners suffer the shut down/crash problem and it’s very common problem with LCD’s according to two Sony technicians I have spoken with.

The shut downs are likely to be completely random in nature and will occur even if the tuner is not being used. You can go for weeks or months between occurrences.

Sets that do not have an inbuilt digital tuner (like the 70” SXRD) never experience the shutdown problem.

Owners of LCD’s probably don’t notice the fault, as the shut down – restart cycle only takes a couple of seconds compared to the 30 plus seconds on the 60” SXRD.

Yep the same problem happened on my first set after a long nights viewing over hdmi, it shut down/started up twice within 15 mins - i mentioned that to the sony tech to add to my list of problems and he had a look in the service menu and everything was 000000 indicating there wasnt a fault (supposedly), you will probably get the same answer i got if you invite a tech over...

The shut downs are likely to be completely random in nature and will occur even if the tuner is not being used. Owners of LCD’s probably don’t notice the fault, as the shut down – restart cycle only takes a couple of seconds.

Exactly what I'm experiencing!

These shutdowns are nopt a fault of the TV. They are caused by the broadcasters fiddling around with the singals being sent across the airwaves.

The signals are little things they are testing which send the digital tuners in the TV's into a spin and cause them to shut down.

LG and Samsung have had exactly the same problem - LG is very seriously effected. LG and Samsung have been sending people out to adjust their sets and install new firmware in the tuners.

Sony seems to be the least affected by these woes.

That’s a cop out, nothing a TV station or weather / poor reception does to a digital TV signal should crash a TV.

The digital tuners in my HTPC’s don’t ever cause them to crash.

Windows XP must be more stable then the systems in these TV’s. :D

well i was watching blu ray on the ps3 over hdmi, i dont think that the inbuilt tuner has anything to do with it, these faults are common with a few of sony's xrd and lcd series that dont show up as a faults in the service menu. Good news it hasnt happened so far with my replacement set yet...(fingers crossed).

I've heard from the Sony agent and after detailing the symptoms he remarked that he knew exactly what I was talking about, (Now that's something new!!) and that it was connected with the Digital tuner in the unit. Will be out next Tuesday and repair procedure can be done on site. Will let everyone know what is told to me.

Similiar shut down problem here with KDL40X2000 bought 31st May 07 (5 year warranty).

Worked like a dream 1st 3 weeks then started playing up on the 24th June & now does the following when turned on:

1. Have sound but no picture until approx 45 seconds later.

2. Tv will operate on analog only & with limited menu response for around 2min before turning itself off.

3. Immediately Tv turns itself on again, sound but no picture for 45 seconds, picture appears then Tv turns itself off again soon after.

4. Once again turns itself on, picture appears roughly 45sec later then turns off.

5. After these 3 cycles tv stays off & standby flashes red 11 times between a 2sec rest.

The times stated above can vary & occasionaly (more so earlier on) the Tv will operate as though nothing was ever wrong, like yesterday when the sony authorised service tech turned up.

According to my wife the tech, after being briefed of the problem, assured her he knew exactly what the fault was, (proceeded to move the Tv to the couch?) removed the back of the unit & "replaced some part". (yes I wish I could have taken the time off work to attend). He left confident he'd fixed the problem, after all it was working.

I arrive home 5:30pm turn the Tv on & am greeted with steps 1-5 above!!

I call Sony who inform me I must get Pinnacle Electronics out again to "confirm the fault".

I call Pinaccle 1st thing this morning & next available time is not until next Monday.

I've since called sony back & made lots of noise to anyone who'd listen... All to no avail.

We've also contacted DJ's enquiring about an exchange/refund, also no luck.

I'm all vented out & can only try & roll with the punches on this one.

Please, please buyer beware. Try to negotiate a faulty exchange policy at point of purchase.

9 months of research, saving & monitoring Bravia prices to purchase our "wedding present" only to end up with a rather expensive paperweight.

Anyone who's still interested in listening or has encountered the same problem I'll let you know the outcome.

Cheers

Steve.

I had the 40" X series TV turn off only once, and never has been a repeat offender.

Update on my backlight issue (has been a few months since had any input). I barely notice it anymore, coz I dont use any analog signals anymore (except for the Wii, but gaming goes too fast, never notice). I use HDMI from PC (DVI converted), and watch all DVDs from there, which I am quite impressed with Purevideo and upscaling. I dunno if its just the way I setup the HDMI input, but I used the same settings on my DVD player, and blacks have obvious light blooms in the top left.

Still very happy with the TV, despite a very small noticeable issue. Im glad my second TV (December) is a major improvement over the first one I got (August). Im sure I have the dates all screwed up.

Strange how this topic moved from backlight issue to Digital Tuner.

That’s a cop out, nothing a TV station or weather / poor reception does to a digital TV signal should crash a TV.

The digital tuners in my HTPC’s don’t ever cause them to crash.

Windows XP must be more stable then the systems in these TV’s. :D

Actually it is not a cop out - why does every brand of TV with Digital tuners has somewhere along the line a shotdown problem.

LG most notibly had a very serious issue with shutdown and had to deply thousands of service technicians to upgrade their sets in homes and in retailers. The issue was channel nine who was "trialling" some slight code variation which threw the software driven tuners into a spin and made the sets shut down.

Ch 9 also recognised the problem and stopped doing what they were doing in turn. LG recognised the problem and made changes to their tuner firmware so that if another station did the same thing it would not affect the tuners.

These tuners a like a computer - sftware driven, and if the software receives commands it doesnt understand, like a PC it may freeze, or react in an unexplained manner or in the case of these problems shut down.

Its very easy to blame the manufacturer - it seems everyone always blames the hardware when in actual fact the hardware could be perfectly fine. Its easy to take the simple road, because you can't quite go and complain to a TV station about what they are doing with transmissions.

Hello everyone :)

Im looking at buying the sony bravia KDL-40X2000 or a Samsung 40" 1080p lcd (cant remember model name) but im more keen on the Sony due to the better IQ.

I have seen in a few forums now people with the cloudy problems, and after reading thru the last 10 or so pages (going backwards) it seems like the problems are occuring less nowdays especially with the april onwards build dates.

Whats the likely hood of getting a tv with the cloudy problems these days?

Or should I just play it safe and go for the Samsung, or do they have similar issues as well?

Samsung does also however accept 1080p over component and VGA not just HDMI like the sony, that is somewhat attractive to me as well.

Many thanks for any help.

Edited by DaForce2000

Hi all,

I have had clouding issues from the start and have had a tech come and look at it. I got the usual response and was going to live with it. I now have a dead pixel in the middle of the screen. Does anyone know the policy for dead pixels. Thanks.

Adam....

Edited by VPF