Bravia X Series Patchy Backlight Bleed

This was the procedure I went through

* Called the number on the sony website in relation to cloudy issues. Spoke to the person on the phone who gave me another number to call.

* Rang this number and explained my situation with what was going on with the screen in relation to the clouds / backlight while watching different sources.

* Sony sent authorised service centre guy around to do update via the memeory stick. I showed the guy before the upgrade the issues which he agreed was quite visible. After the update the there was no .....

And you have grey hair you didn't notice before and have shortened your lifespan. Thanks heaps for posting that will help greatly. Please let us know if you do ever decide to get a different panel (hesitations noted) as I imagine I will go down that route. So annoying. PS - mine also has a stuck pixel top left (20cm approx in and across) but luckily not noticable under normal viewing. Thanks Sony!

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

This is for people looking to buy the X-Series. When I was shopping, I took the link (provided in this thread) and printed it, where Sony acknowledge backlight issues, and recommend some settings to reduce this. I showed this to the the retailer and explained the situation and advised I don't want to spend this big chunk of cash to get a screen I don't want to look at. The salesman agreed.

I asked for a clause to be stated on the receipt, if I'm not happy with the TV within 14 days I am entitled to return it for a refund. After getting a great price and this clause, I accepted. I tested it thoroughly to try and identify the clouding and fortunately found nothing. Nor am I looking anymore.

Just a recommendation to people considering buying this TV. It is a damn fine TV too, if I got this clouding issue, I'd be as furious as you guys affected (and rightly so).

Best of luck guys.

Ray.

Hi guys,

This is for people looking to buy the X-Series. When I was shopping, I took the link (provided in this thread) and printed it, where Sony acknowledge backlight issues, and recommend some settings to reduce this. I showed this to the the retailer and explained ....

Ray.

Hi Ray,

Very clever. Definetely will use this when shopping for the next one. Can imagine not everyone store will be receptive to it however. As for 'not looking anymore' I agree but believe me when I say that the people with this issue are not being pedants. If you have the clouding you will know it and it will ruin your viewing experience!

Cheers

Dave

Hi Ray,

Very clever. Definetely will use this when shopping for the next one. Can imagine not everyone store will be receptive to it however. As for 'not lookinging anymore' I agree but believe me when I say that the people with this issue are not being pedants. If you have the clouding you will know it and it will ruin your viewing experience!

Cheers

Dave

G'day Dave,

I agree... I saw the screen-shots, when I tested my screen I gulped and crossed my fingers. :blink: I was very relieved. How do you guys check the batch (of the TV), is it on the TV somewhere?

G'day Dave,

I agree... I saw the screen-shots, when I tested my screen I gulped and crossed my fingers. :blink: I was very relieved. How do you guys check the batch (of the TV), is it on the TV somewhere?

Yes the Serial and Manufacture Date is on the back - center / top. Interested to know what yours is. Mines Feb 2007.

Hi guys, first post......

I'd like to buy the 46" model but would like to ensure it is manufactured after February 2007. Besides the previous post indicating the build date on the back of the TV is there any indication on the box at all of a build date?

Hi guys, first post......

I'd like to buy the 46" model but would like to ensure it is manufactured after February 2007. Besides the previous post indicating the build date on the back of the TV is there any indication on the box at all of a build date?

Unfortunately I was much to excited to check at the time so I can't answer but I think I have read that this is not the case if memory serves me well. Hopefully someone else will know. If you do buy one and get a good one please post your build date here.

Hopefully things are improving as the amount of disgruntled people seems to be dying down.

PS: Sony Australia have posted the same lame excuse and fix for the clouding on the Oz website that they have on the US one.

Today I finally took the plunge and purchased the samsung M81BDX 52" ( The price I couldn't say no :blink: )

While I was shopping around earlier this week I looked at a Sony Bravia X 46" @ one of the GG stores just to see if the display model had issues.

I gave it a quick calibration to remove the silly vivid settings, stood back, and there they were, bastard clouds and a big backlight bleed in bottom right corner.

Turned the panel around, and it was a March 2007 build.

I showed the guy in the store, and he shrugged his shoulders and didn't say anything.

Today I finally took the plunge and purchased the samsung M81BDX 52" ( The price I couldn't say no :blink: ).....

Hey rhodesy was that Sony money burning a hole in you pocket! :D Looks like a good choice. Reviews look good. Hope you can now rest in peace as such.

My saga continues. Service guy coming next week etc. etc. Have to go through the motions as we know. Have talked to consumer affairs as well so will hit that road if I don't get my money back.

Enjoy the Samsung!

PS: If you are reading this and have a backlight / clouding issue with your Sony Bravia KDL46X2000 don't hesitate to join this forum and post your complaint. Sony can't be allowed to get away with this bullshit.

Today I finally took the plunge and purchased the samsung M81BDX 52" ( The price I couldn't say no :blink: )

While I was shopping around earlier this week I looked at a Sony Bravia X 46" @ one of the GG stores just to see if the display model had issues.

Hey rhodesy how much was the sammy52"

Hey rhodesy was that Sony money burning a hole in you pocket! :blink: Looks like a good choice. Reviews look good. Hope you can now rest in peace as such.

My saga continues. Service guy coming next week etc. etc. Have to go through the motions as we know. Have talked to consumer affairs as well so will hit that road if I don't get my money back.

Enjoy the Samsung!

PS: If you are reading this and have a backlight / clouding issue with your Sony Bravia KDL46X2000 don't hesitate to join this forum and post your complaint. Sony can't be allowed to get away with this bullshit.

I hope this panel turns out to be a good one. If it's a dud, you will defiantely here about it. :D

xtractdigit you have a pm on the price.

• 2 weeks later...

Would just like something to be clarified once and for all:

Is this clouding issue still apparent on X-Series Bravia's bought from retail today?

and

Is it a good idea to buy one?

Would just like something to be clarified once and for all:

Is this clouding issue still apparent on X-Series Bravia's bought from retail today?

and

Is it a good idea to buy one?

IMHO the Bravia X is one of the best LCD panels out there at the moment but the clouding issue still exists as is evident in a friends recent purchase (March build date). So as someone else has mentioned try and get an 'No Questions Asked' return on your invoice from the retailer. Very tricky but it has been done apparently. Just to cover you arse as such!

IMHO the Bravia X is one of the best LCD panels out there at the moment but the clouding issue still exists as is evident in a friends recent purchase (March build date). So as someone else has mentioned try and get an 'No Questions Asked' return on your invoice from the retailer. Very tricky but it has been done apparently. Just to cover you arse as such!

thanks for that.

I think i may attempt to do this if I choose to buy the x-series however the LG with built in PVR looking slightly better ATM

I purchased the 46 inch model on the 26th of May from HN Alexandria, it has an April 2007 build date.

At the time of purchase the salesman agreed with me that he knew about the clouding issue with these sets and assured me that it should not occur on any of the post February built sets. He also agreed with me that if i did have the same problem with my set that HN would replace it if i called within the first 2 weeks of purchase.

Sure enough after getting it home it was apparent clouds were visible so i decided to give it a good week to try to sort itself out by leaving the set on. The clouds did reduce in severity over that week but are still there. I called HN to report the issue and spoke with the sales manager who proceeded to tell me that i was seeing a normal picture and that all LCD screens on their floor look like this....... Whatever

I advised her of the deal that i had with the salesman on the day and that they were obligated to follow up on that, she said she would look into it and get back to me adding that "we have never even heard of this problem in the Sony range before"

She calls me back and tells me to call Sony and organise a technician to come look at it because they won't replace it until they are given proof that there is indeed a fault. She also says that if the tech finds no fault then i am liable to pay for sending him out there! After i threatened legal action she agreed to cover that charge if need be.

I have called Sony and am awaiting the technician to set an appointment.......

I purchased the 46 inch model on the 26th of May from HN Alexandria, it has an April 2007 build date.

At the time of purchase the salesman agreed with me that he knew about the clouding issue with these sets and assured me that it should not occur on any of the post February built sets. He also agreed with me that if i did have the same problem with my set that HN would replace it if i called within the first 2 weeks of purchase.

Sure enough after getting it home it was apparent clouds were visible so i decided to give it a good week to try to sort itself out by leaving the set on. The clouds did reduce in severity over that week but are still there. I called HN to report the issue and spoke with the sales manager who proceeded to tell me that i was seeing a normal picture and that all LCD screens on their floor look like this....... Whatever

I advised her of the deal that i had with the salesman on the day and that they were obligated to follow up on that, she said she would look into it and get back to me adding that "we have never even heard of this problem in the Sony range before"

She calls me back and tells me to call Sony and organise a technician to come look at it because they won't replace it until they are given proof that there is indeed a fault. She also says that if the tech finds no fault then i am liable to pay for sending him out there! After i threatened legal action she agreed to cover that charge if need be.

I have called Sony and am awaiting the technician to set an appointment.......

If you made the call to Sony within 30 days of purchase, you should be fine, but still it's a month or so process in order to get things rectified.

Keep us all updated with your progress.

Best of luck.

Guest MarkRD

I've had my Bravia KDL40V2000 for 8 months now. After several months I noticed the lower left hand quadrant of the screen is 5-15% dimmer than the rest & is especially noticeable having set the backlight to 2-3 instead of the factory default.

This fault 'improves over the course of a few hours but never goes away.

I have spoken to Sony/repairer & they are claiming that it is possibly due to moisture in the panel left over from manufacturing-IS THIS POSSIBLE!!! ????

Their 'solution' is to run the set for 40 hours which is supposed to drive out the moisture. How is this supposed to occur? Is there an escape route for moisture? What about stopping moisture getting in?

Does anyone know/heard about this method, I would love to know more-I really hope it works as I LOVE my set & the picture it can create.

ps Wose comes to worse is the new Samsung full-HD M8 series any good??

THANKS

I've had my Bravia KDL40V2000 for 8 months now. After several months I noticed the lower left hand quadrant of the screen is 5-15% dimmer than the rest & is especially noticeable having set the backlight to 2-3 instead of the factory default.

This fault 'improves over the course of a few hours but never goes away.

I have spoken to Sony/repairer & they are claiming that it is possibly due to moisture in the panel left over from manufacturing-IS THIS POSSIBLE!!! ????

Their 'solution' is to run the set for 40 hours which is supposed to drive out the moisture. How is this supposed to occur? Is there an escape route for moisture? What about stopping moisture getting in?

Does anyone know/heard about this method, I would love to know more-I really hope it works as I LOVE my set & the picture it can create.

ps Wose comes to worse is the new Samsung full-HD M8 series any good??

THANKS

Don't be fooled by Sony's moisture response, this is Pure BS

You have clouding, and there is nothing they can do to fix it.

Your in for a headache trying to get a resolution on the issue.

Going from a Sony, to a Samsung, so far so good. (touch wood)

Guest MarkRD
Don't be fooled by Sony's moisture response, this is Pure BS

You have clouding, and there is nothing they can do to fix it.

Your in for a headache trying to get a resolution on the issue.

Going from a Sony, to a Samsung, so far so good. (touch wood)

Thanks Rhodesy101,

I found the 'heat treatment' approach strange, & I am VERY skeptical. (I would expect an LCD panel to be hermetically sealed)

This recommendation is coming from an authorised Sony repairer in Melbourne, who claims that it has worked for others!

Actually I wouldn't describe my issue as 'clouding' as the black on my Bravia is purty nice and even- it really is a large dimmer area.

If anyone else has ideas & comments about my post I would also love to hear them.

ps Glad to hear about the Samsung.

If anyone else has ideas & comments about my post I would also love to hear them.

My understanding is that the Bravia X's have four seperate backlighting panels, one for each quadrant of the screen. Sounds like something is wrong with the lower left panel and its light output is lower. I think that the repairer has confused your problem with the clouding problem. Leaving the lcd on for 40 hours is not going to fix a faulty backlight.

Guest MarkRD

Thanks gkelly,

now that IS interesting info. My tv is the V series but I wouldn't be surprised if they use similar backlighting techniques. From what you have said, it sounds much more like this is the issue. especially since I don't recall the problem till several months after purchase. Thanks!

Guest MarkRD

Well, well, well; after following Sony's AUTHORISED repair advice to 'cure' the 'moisture-in-panel' problem - of which I have been TOTALLY sceptical anyway - the end result.......

BRILLIANT.......................NOT

I don't know how to upload images, but the whole bottom half of the screen from LHS to almost the RHS is DARK.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry, as it SEEMS like I have a fluoro tube fault that the 40 hr bake-fest has caused. The set is 8 months old, but I first remember something amiss around February.

Should I demand a new set, a refund - or have it repaired?

Jeez, I hope these repairers use kid gloves ;(

Well, well, well; after following Sony's AUTHORISED repair advice to 'cure' the 'moisture-in-panel' problem - of which I have been TOTALLY sceptical anyway - the end result.......

BRILLIANT.......................NOT

I don't know how to upload images, but the whole bottom half of the screen from LHS to almost the RHS is DARK.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry, as it SEEMS like I have a fluoro tube fault that the 40 hr bake-fest has caused. The set is 8 months old, but I first remember something amiss around February.

Should I demand a new set, a refund - or have it repaired?

Jeez, I hope these repairers use kid gloves ;(

Backlight bleed, this is a fault and is able to clamied under warranty.

Have a read of your instruction manual which will outline the conditions of your warranty.

Mark, based on my experiences, I would suggest not admitting you've noticed a problem until recently. You'd be surprised how often you tell someone your warranty-covered panel is defective and receive the response, "Well why didn't you say something sooner?" Say you haven't had time to watch TV recently or you went travelling or something!

I doubt you'd get a refund or replacement until Sony have exhausted all possible options of repair. I'm afraid you're going to have to step up onto the Sony authorised repair centre treadmill like many others have done. Just keep records of all repair jobs and phone conversations you have. You may have to surrender your TV for repair for a period of time. I hope that it will get sorted out eventually for you, and I wish you the best of luck!