Bravia X Series Patchy Backlight Bleed

Well after giving this unit a good running in, I am dissapointed at the cloudy backlight issue.

Everything else as far as PQ is concerned is fantastic. I have calibrated it to Petmic10 settings, then via DVE which did not need adjusting from Petmic10's settings.

I have an annoying backlight bleed in the bottom right corner, and cloudy patches all over the place.

Was watching Pitch Black, Batman Begins, Superman returns and a few other titles, and the now infamous issues have become annoying.

I tried to ignore it, but it was becoming to distracting and I couldn't enjoy the visual experience.

I suppose I am up for a headache now trying to get this issue resolved. :blink:

I spotted the link croops has listed re local Sony awareness of the cloudy symptoms....

I tried applying their suggestions for viewing 'Batman Begins':

- best results came from setting 'Power Saving' to 'low' and increasing 'brightness' by +10.

- In the scenes after Bruce was thrown in the prison dungeons, contrast was much improved and I could see detail that was not obvious before,

- also, the faint mottling (that is my share of the cloudy problem) which was quite visible in very dark shadows in these scenes previously was no longer apparent. The only problem was some deterioration in brightness of colours which may possibly be corrected with other tweaking.......

Some concern: has anyone experienced increase in cloudiness from minor to worse as time passes? - i.e., should I be concerned with a faint mottling apparent when changing inputs, and return my set now? or would that be too radical?

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Sony have confirmed that they have no plans to send out firmware updates for Australian users to install themselves, as Australian Bravias do not have USB ports like their American cousins, and a Memory Stick must be used to install the new firmware.

My panel's being updated on Tuesday morning. Once again, I'll let you know how it goes...

Well, Sony have confirmed that they have no plans to send out firmware updates for Australian users to install themselves, as Australian Bravias do not have USB ports like their American cousins, and a Memory Stick must be used to install the new firmware.

My panel's being updated on Tuesday morning. Once again, I'll let you know how it goes...

Correct me if I am wrong, but a firmware update will fix the backlight issue?!

I found this on the AVS forum.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/WhiteMuraUpdate.pdf

Should all Aus. Bravia owners be applying for the update? I have some minor clouding, which has improved when I turned the "Light Sensor" On.

What is the difference between having "Power Saving" on low or high?

Sorry, but where is the memory stick input on the Bravia X?

How, when and where and by whom? I dont have clouding as apparent, should i do this ?

Correct me if I am wrong, but a firmware update will fix the backlight issue?!

Well, it doesn't fix it, but it is supposed to make the clouding less apparent (by dimming the blacklight when the screen goes dark or blank). I am very dubious that this will solve the problems I have with my panel, but I'm going through the motions as advised by Consumer Affairs.

Should all Aus. Bravia owners be applying for the update? I have some minor clouding, which has improved when I turned the "Light Sensor" On.
How, when and where and by whom? I dont have clouding as apparent, should i do this ?

My update is being applied by the same Sony-authorised repair centre that have already taken away the panel for repair and claimed they had fixed it. They won't need to take the panel away to update the firmware though, they'll do that in my home.

It is up to you if you want to try the update. There is some feedback about it in this forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748779

I basically expect that the update will only affect the screen when there is not signal present, which really doesn't bother me anyway. I want the cloudiness when a dark image is being shown to go, and the new firmware doesn't do that. Some people have suggested that the firmware does dim the backlight when the screen goes very dark, but this also impacts on general picture quality (for instance, it may become too dark to actually see what the screen's supposed to be showing). I'll be interested to see if this is the case.

The thing to bear in mind is that if you don't like the update, there's no way of downgrading to the old firmware. Even if you end up having your panel replaced, newer models have the new firmware on them.

What is the difference between having "Power Saving" on low or high?

I'm not really sure. Try both and see which gives you the best balance of picture quality and reduced cloudiness.

Sorry, but where is the memory stick input on the Bravia X?

Again, I'm not really sure. On the back I guess! I know there is one though. The guy I spoke to at Sony said it needed a special memory stick for the firmware to be upgraded when I asked if I could do it myself though.

Stage 1 applied Sony settings as per their website instructions.

This makes the picture look extremely dull and lifeless. Even after recalibrating with DVE over HDMI I now find I cannot get contrast where it should be according to the calibration software.

So Sonys settings per their website are an attempted bandage to a problem.

Stage 2 Contact Sony and see how it goes.

Well, I've had a bit of a chance to examine the my panel with the new update.

Basically, it dims the blacklight when the screen goes blank, which reduces the apparence of the clouds. I haven't noticed it dimming the screen on dark images yet, so it doesn't seem to have negatively affected general picture quality, however the cloudiness in dark scenes is still very noticeable and very bothersome. I don't think that there's been any improvement in clouding when a signal is present.

Sony can recommend whatever settings they like, they can also try to tweek the software all they want, but at the end of the day, after suffering the same problem with a Samsung(see pics), IMO the problem is in the LCD panel itself, not the settings, and not the firmware/software driving it. I guess i was lucky in that, after my third faulty Samsung they agreed to a refund, and the store offered me a Sony V series for the same money. And unlike the X series, it has been flawless.

There are enough people in this thread alone with the same rediculous issue, that i believe you should all band together and get something concrete done about it. Not just singular phone calls here and there to the service department. Start a class action lawsuit or something !(note: Gutty knows bugger all about legal mumbo jumbo) :blink:

Geez, add up all the money spent on X series in this thread..... you have a right to a decent panel !

End rant :D

Finally bought a 46"X. I haven't changed any of the settings or checked the build date but it also has the Mura/cloud effect. People who have opted for the firmware update, has it helped reduce the amount of visible mura. Secondly who did you call to get out to updat the firmware?

Resistance on PS3 looks awesome on the 46".

Foxtel looks terrible - but I expected that.

Sony can recommend whatever settings they like, they can also try to tweek the software all they want, but at the end of the day, after suffering the same problem with a Samsung(see pics), IMO the problem is in the LCD panel itself, not the settings, and not the firmware/software driving it.

There are enough people in this thread alone with the same rediculous issue, that i believe you should all band together and get something concrete done about it. Not just singular phone calls here and there to the service department. Start a class action lawsuit or something !(note: Gutty knows bugger all about legal mumbo jumbo) :blink:

Geez, add up all the money spent on X series in this thread..... you have a right to a decent panel !

End rant :D

I'm aware that the problem is with the panel, and I plan on taking to Sony to court to get a refund if they don't offer me one, but if I don't give them the chance to try and 'fix' the clouding (even though both they and I know that there is nothing they can do without replacing the panel), then I don't have much of a case. I didn't expect anything from the firmware update but it was a necessary evil that I had to go through to get the end result I want.

People who have opted for the firmware update, has it helped reduce the amount of visible mura.

Not in my opinion, no. It does improve the consistency of black when no signal is present, but then I wasn't concerned with this in the first place. However, it hasn't made anything worse for me, so if it's not too much of an inconvenience for you it might be worth giving it a go.

Secondly who did you call to get out to updat the firmware?

Call Sony. Their support number is on their website.

Hi I am abbie from Holland. This week I bought the Sony KDL-40x2000 and come to the conclusion that I have the same problems regarding Backlight Bleeding. The foto's are identical to my vieuw. It seems to me that it is a common failiure trough out the hole world

What does Sony Australia do regarding to this problem? Is there somebody who recieved a new lcd on guarantee. Next week a Sony representive will visit me.

regards,

Abbie

Universal Elecronics coming to inspect my TV tomorrow. When checking for dead pixels last night, I found another when the screen is all blue or all green.

Hopefully this - combined with the other dead pixel and patchy backlight - might get me a new display... not holding my breath though!

A quick update.

Got the service guy in to do the all important fix all firmware update but it did nothing, in fact unless I was seeing things it seamed to make it a lot worse. I called Sony back the following day to tell them the bad news and to my surprise they said they will replace the TV. I will get a call in the next week or so to sort it out. Hopefully this TV not like the last one!

Guest Scarlet Devine

Just set up my new 40X, it has a March 07 build date

Thankfully no sign of any clouding ... phew!

I think I'm in love :blink: I'll never watch another TV again!!

Got a 46" X yesterday - amazing picture. I know you see the sets in the store but when that box was delivered I was like "holy %)^@". You don't know how huge it is until its in place of a "dinky" 78cm CRT :blink:

I haven't watched any DVDs yet but FTA (HD) has been great and Foxtel was better looking on the Bravia than I expected it to be.

My set has a Feb 2007 build date and I have noticed clouding but only when there is no signal. When I was watching The Simpsons (which is 4:3) on the Foxtel I didn't see any clouding in the black bars (even though that's where some clouding was when there was no signal) - the black was consistent and dark. The set is in our lounge room which usually has a fair amount of light (one of the reason I went with LCD over plasma) so I will have to watch something dark late at night with the lights off to see if it's a noticeable problem during viewing in those conditions.

Edit: Well I watched Batman Begins (SD DVD 576p) in a dark room and didn't notice any clouding during the movie even with the backlight set to 4 (what I've usually got it set for) or minimum. So I've got nothing to complain about with clouding unless it becomes worse.

Edited by Briareos

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Sony have sent a technician out to look at the problem.

As instructed by Sony he has updated the new firmware which took about 10mins to do.

The result, absolulty no change to PQ, clouding and backilight still very evident in the dark scenes on all inputs.

Blank screen now looks more greyer in colour with slightly less clouding but still very evident backlight bleed.

The technician noted the problems were still evident and will give his report to Sony.

He said Sony will probably issue the panel part for replacement of the existing one, but most likely not a new unit.

Guest Zygor

Hey really sorry to hi-jack the thread but the forum wouldn't let me open a new topic anywhere. I just bought a 40" X series direct from sony style online, received it just 5 days ago and within 3 days I had 2 dead pixels, one isnt too bad but one is dead square in the middle. When a pc is linked to the tv it stands out a lot. Called Sony tonight and they refused to replace the set as it didn't fit the warranty conditions of 8 pixels or at least 2 next to each other.

If someone could offer some advice I would really appreciate it. I'm going to contact the ACCC tomorrow, I'm absolutely tired of this **** from Sony..... it was an ordeal to just get the set from them. 18 days to get my promo code to get discount on the tv - because they forgot about me, and then they lost the first fax with my credit card details (they force you to send them through).

One bargaining chip I have is that I work in retail and sell some of their products but really dont want it to come to that - PS3s and PSPs etc. So any advice or past experience from any of you would be welcome.

Hey really sorry to hi-jack the thread but the forum wouldn't let me open a new topic anywhere. I just bought a 40" X series direct from sony style online, received it just 5 days ago and within 3 days I had 2 dead pixels, one isnt too bad but one is dead square in the middle. When a pc is linked to the tv it stands out a lot. Called Sony tonight and they refused to replace the set as it didn't fit the warranty conditions of 8 pixels or at least 2 next to each other.

If someone could offer some advice I would really appreciate it. I'm going to contact the ACCC tomorrow, I'm absolutely tired of this **** from Sony..... it was an ordeal to just get the set from them. 18 days to get my promo code to get discount on the tv - because they forgot about me, and then they lost the first fax with my credit card details (they force you to send them through).

One bargaining chip I have is that I work in retail and sell some of their products but really dont want it to come to that - PS3s and PSPs etc. So any advice or past experience from any of you would be welcome.

Zygor:

Not sure if this was a fluke for my previous model (which I had replaced due to bad cloudiness), but it also had a stuck pixel on the side. Wasnt too impressed, but as I knew that the screen was being replaced, I decided to take a chance. I carefully use my thumb to push on the pixel, as I read that this had sometimes fixed the problem. Which it did! The stuck pixel was no more, and didnt damage any of the surrounding ones. If it wasnt for the cloudiness, I wouldve been happy.

Guest kot51

Got 46" X series last weekend. Was hard to find in Melbourne, lots of stores out of stock all reckon 1-2 week wait...

Has April 2007 build date. Can't see any backlight bleeding at all. Working great. Awesome set.

I called Sony a couple of days ago and was told that it was a moisture problem. As when the panels were being manufactured some moisture go in behind the glass and I was told that I need to run the set for at least 40 hours and up 80 hours to "dry" out the moisture :D:blink: huh. Then if the problem still persisted I needed to call them back.