Bravia X Series Patchy Backlight Bleed

You should put your claim on the retailer 'not fit for purpose' if it has cracked by itself, especially if you can demonstrate there are no signs of impact. Surely the plastic diffuser screen would show an impact?

Yes I'd attempt this route. It should not have cracked by simple cleaning. Even if your missus pressed fairly hard I'd think it'd still be difficult to create a crack. If there is no sign of 'impact' and the crack is beneath the outer plastic screen then it is worth a complaint. It'd be different if a kid jammed a pen into it or someone threw their Wii remote at the panel

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm jinxed where the 46X's are concerned. Desided against buying the Sharp LC-47GD7X because it frankly does not have the PQ of the Sony X series. Had another (3rd) 46X delivered on Friday and set it up. Turned it on and very very minor clouding, to the point where I, an experienced cloud spotter, could hardly see it at all.

Thank god I thought. Then last night happened to be close to the screen and there it was. One dead pixel!!! 4cm in from the left edge of the screen.

Luckily I still have 2,073,599 left. This one is a keeper depite the dead pixel..

Luckily I still have 2,073,599 left. This one is a keeper depite the dead pixel..

Definitely a keeper! at the res of these screens I really wouldnt worry about a few dead pixels (especially that close to the edge)... if you're nearly cloud free just thank your lucky stars and enjoy it! Well done for persevering I say.

Hi, and thanks to all who have shown a genuine concern/understanding of my situation.

Today I eagerly await a call from Good Guys who on the weekend assured me that everything would be ok, and that I should try and relax over the weekend. The manager said "We've looked after you so far, we're not going to let you down now"....not sure what he means by that, but I will let you all know how it turns out.

No there is no sign of impact on the front glass/plastic screen, the crack is in the internal glass LCD display itself, and as someone said earlier, impossible to repair unless you replace the entire screen.

I know my wife wouldn't have pressed that hard, as we have had a plasma screen for 3 years now, and LCD monitor on the PC, and an LCD TV in our sons bedroom and she has been cleaning those screens for a long time now without cracking any of them. So I find it hard to belive that a manufacture/design aspect is not to blame here.

We'll see how things go...

THanks again!

g'day fellas,

Got of the blower from SONY before in regards to the cloudyness from changing inbetween imputs or backdrop on T.V' shows with black credits / DVD's

I was asked to change a few things, the list as follows:

1.light sensor' ON

2.Power saving to LOW

3.backlight to the setting 2.

In my limitied experience with LCD TV's the settings suggested take the vibrance away from the T.V. I explained this to him but he assured me that after the 80 hours or so i could run the settings back to the way I wanted.

I was told to run these settings for 80 hours, he would call me in 2 weeks.

I got his name with ref number etc so fingers crossed

Cheers

Edited by StuttGartDTM

Anyone see the 'Icon' pullout in the Sydney Morning Herald today? Has an article on the cloudy X backlight problems... not sure if it runs in other Fairfax papers but it's also online with feedback invited if anyone cares to add their experiences...

http://blogs.smh.com.au/mashup/archives/tr...ter/010196.html

it raises the profile of the problem to a more public arena and possibly sony may come out of denial and offer help in rectification/ replacement in a more timely manner . it does not fill me with confidence to buy sony in future particularly high cost items. cheers alan

he assured me that after the 80 hours or so i could run the settings back to the way I wanted.... fingers crossed

Errrrr... i wouldn't get too excited. :blink: Sounds HIGHLY dubious. My Bravia X had (amongst general clouds) a torch effect in the top left corner that disappeared when the TV was twisted by pulling forward on the right top corner and pushing back on the left. Let go and it reappeared again. This clearly represents a fundamental hardware issue.

I have a 46" LCD Bravia and no problems so far. I have had the set since 24th November and it gets fairly regular use. How long before these problems are likely to appear?

What support are you getting from Sony about the situation. Having spent so much on the set and a five year warranty I would like to think Sony can either fix it or replace the set.

Would be grateful for your reply.

Anthony W

Question for X Owners:

I have a query for 40X (or even 46) owners. I recently purchased a 40X and have noticed that when on an all black screen I can see some white patchiness (or shades). I presume it's the backlight bleeding into the picture? I find it's distracting, and particularly in the left corner it's irritating when watching a movie where a scene is very dark. Is this normal, or should the blacks be reasonably consistent? I do understand that being an LCD they can't do true blacks, but the inconsistency across the screen (particularly the bottom left corner) is frustrating.

Please note that this is not noticeable during bright daylight, but mostly only at night. I can see it with ambient lighting on in the room, but it is even more noticeable with the lights off.

Here are a couple of pictures to demonstrate in different lighting conditions etc:

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/4928/img3775mg2.jpg

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/2931/img3807cn1.jpg

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/4962/img3795tc4.jpg

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/2956/img3798lo4.jpg

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/8370/img3784uo6.jpg

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/1109/img3805ze0.jpg

I'd really love to hear from any X series owners - particularly if there are any out there who's TV's don't exhibit this.

Thanks.

I have a 46" LCD Bravia and no problems so far. I have had the set since 24th November and it gets fairly regular use. How long before these problems are likely to appear?

What support are you getting from Sony about the situation. Having spent so much on the set and a five year warranty I would like to think Sony can either fix it or replace the set.

Would be grateful for your reply.

Anthony W

Hey Anthony - I think you can be pretty sure you're OK. They're pretty much there from day one if they're there. Support on the issue: seems to little to none for everybody but, like I say, if you don't have the issue it's not a problem for you.

Errrrr... i wouldn't get too excited. :blink: Sounds HIGHLY dubious. My Bravia X had (amongst general clouds) a torch effect in the top left corner that disappeared when the TV was twisted by pulling forward on the right top corner and pushing back on the left. Let go and it reappeared again. This clearly represents a fundamental hardware issue.

Did SONY suggest the same settings to you? did ya call them etc? what did they suggest to you ?

Did SONY suggest the same settings to you? did ya call them etc? what did they suggest to you ?

Yes. That's their standard response. Though the "it will be fixed after 80 hours at these settings" sounds like a new and crazy twist!

When I sent photos of my screen in action they suggested they couldnt see anything wrong with it and I should get a service call on it if I am still unhappy. Experience on this forum suggests that's a pointless exercise. Overall, service level was beyond disappointing.

Main thing is not to let it go past your return date with your retailer if you are unhappy with it.

Main thing is not to let it go past your return date with your retailer if you are unhappy with it.

Rogerthat, cheers for your input, I bought it from Harvey Norman a couple of months ago, I guess i should pay a visit there and speak to the bloke i bought it from.

Definitely a manufacturing fault ! I talked today to a salesman at a Myers store, quoting your unlucky experience. He repeated a demonstration that a Panasonic representative had done at a workshop:

Knocking quite hard against the plastic screen of a big LCD TV, right through to the glass surface, showing up the typical LCD pressure colour effects. Simple cleaning never should have had this effect.

(Still, don't try this at home, better follow the safety procedures included with your LCD screen)

I did some Google search on the fragility of Plasma versus LCD and the consensus is indead, that Plasmas are way more sensitive and fragile, especially should never be stored or transported in a horizontal position. Also plenty of pictures of broken Plasmas out there. Thinking of moving with your plasma or handing it in for a service? Better get a custom built transport case !

If you do not get a satisfactory answer from Sony or the good guys, don't hesitate to contact a currant affairs program with your experience! Hoping to hear from you soon how it all turned out.

Hi, and thanks to all who have shown a genuine concern/understanding of my situation.

Today I eagerly await a call from Good Guys who on the weekend assured me that everything would be ok, and that I should try and relax over the weekend. The manager said "We've looked after you so far, we're not going to let you down now"....not sure what he means by that, but I will let you all know how it turns out.

No there is no sign of impact on the front glass/plastic screen, the crack is in the internal glass LCD display itself, and as someone said earlier, impossible to repair unless you replace the entire screen.

I know my wife wouldn't have pressed that hard, as we have had a plasma screen for 3 years now, and LCD monitor on the PC, and an LCD TV in our sons bedroom and she has been cleaning those screens for a long time now without cracking any of them. So I find it hard to belive that a manufacture/design aspect is not to blame here.

We'll see how things go...

THanks again!

I found this forum after noticing cloudiness on my new (bought 2 days ago) 40" Bravia. It's a Jan 07 build, too. After reading this thread, I'm thinking I'm best off to just live with it (it's not too severe, and not noticeable at all when the image is bright overall).

Otherwise loving the new telly!

I was dead set to get the x46. I am glad I went with the Pio 507 plasma instead. I just could not handle the hassle of getting one with this issue and the inconvenience of sorting it out. That would be the last thing I would want to do after spending $5k on a tv....

Rgds

Pat

I still fail to see how Sony X series black levels are better than the majority of other LCDs like they, or reviews, state.

I recently bought the KDL46X2000 - and while I love the TV, I really expected the blacks to be blacker. This may be just a settings issue, but I've had a pretty extensive play with it, and I just didn't expect black to look like a dark, slightly glowing blue. Is this just "THE LCD EXPERIENCE"? As I've never owned an LCD TV before, perhaps I'm making the adjustment from CRT.... or have I got a broken one?

I can turn the "Light Sensor" on, but all that does is dim the whole display. How do I get my blacks blacker?

I recently bought the KDL46X2000 - and while I love the TV, I really expected the blacks to be blacker. This may be just a settings issue, but I've had a pretty extensive play with it, and I just didn't expect black to look like a dark, slightly glowing blue. Is this just "THE LCD EXPERIENCE"? As I've never owned an LCD TV before, perhaps I'm making the adjustment from CRT.... or have I got a broken one?

I can turn the "Light Sensor" on, but all that does is dim the whole display. How do I get my blacks blacker?

I maybe wrong but I think you can't make the blacks, blacker. That's lcd for you. I have a LCD for about a year as my main tv. Sharp Aqos. I was amazed at the pictures but the black is grey. I understand the black levels have improved with the X series.

I've moved over to the pio 507 as my main tv (lcd now in lounge)and now...blacks...really black! Star Wars III air battlle scene in the begining is F******g Awesome..Pardon my French :-) The black background is black. whilst my LCD, black is greyish and I loose alot of contrast in those darker scenes.

I suspect coming from a CRT does not help either... I too had similar experience when I got my first lcd from a CRT. Took a while to get use to the LCD black levels..

X46 is a nice LCD though :-)

Rgds

Pat

Pat

Of the display technologies, LCD has the poorest blacks. If it is something that really bothers you it may be worth returning it to the shop and exchanging for a plasma or Sony R-series SXRD rear pro.

If you wish to get some idea of a unit's black level, check the contrast ratio (on-screen or native, not dynamic). The higher the better. LCD's have the lowest native contrast ratio's.

Hi guys,

Brand new member to the forums here.

Tried to post on this topic, followed the instructions, went to the empty posting thread and posted 10 times, someone called DrSmith kindly replied to one of my posts, still don't have permission to read it, or my post for that matter, or post new topics.

Is the purpose of this forum to alienate new users?

Not sure about the X series, but the V series had excellent black levels with the Light Sensor OFF, Power Saving in HIGH and Backlight control on about 1 or 2. Contrast at around 85-90 should still maintain high contrast levels for most viewing environments...

It's been a while since I've given an update on my progress with Consumer Affairs concerning my Bravia TV - apparently the guy at Sony took 10 days' annual leave, and Consumer Affairs have been dragging their feet over the issue as well.

Sony got back to Consumer Affairs and told them that they have released a firmware update that will 'reduce the problem, but not completely solve it'. Consumer Affairs said I really had no choice but to have the firmware update installed, otherwise any case against Sony would look a little flimsy.

So I called up the always helpful European Electonics in Melbourne to arrange for a firmware update. Having already taken two mornings off work to have the TV 'fixed', I was not prepared to take more time off to have the update installed by an 'engineer', so I asked the person on the phone if she could just send me the firmware update so that I could install it myself. She said that she would advise against that because it could void my warranty. She asked what times I was available and yet again expressed surprise that I'm occupied with a job Monday to Friday, 9 til 5.

I told her I would call up Sony and get their written authorisation that I could install the update myself, as they have allowed hundreds (if not more) of people in the US and Canada to do. I'll let you know how that goes...

You assume correctly! :blink:

Funnily enough, someone I worked with heard me mentioning the name European Electronics on the phone and had the following story to share:

Her Discman failed outside of the warranty period, and she sent it to European Electronics (referred to as EE from now on) and paid them a fee. EE kept the Discman for several weeks and then returned it, apparently untouched as the Discman still showed the same problem. My colleague called Sony and eventually arranged for the Discman to be repaired by EE again. Several weeks later it was returned, and this time it had been repaired. My colleague thought EE's service was so poor that she made a written complaint to Sony about them. Sony passed the letter onto EE, who telephoned my colleague and hurled abuse at her.

I was hardly surprised by this story.

Have you tried taking it back to the store where you purchased it from...and ask them to swap it for another one...?

You assume correctly! :blink:

Funnily enough, someone I worked with heard me mentioning the name European Electronics on the phone and had the following story to share:

Her Discman failed outside of the warranty period, and she sent it to European Electronics (referred to as EE from now on) and paid them a fee. EE kept the Discman for several weeks and then returned it, apparently untouched as the Discman still showed the same problem. My colleague called Sony and eventually arranged for the Discman to be repaired by EE again. Several weeks later it was returned, and this time it had been repaired. My colleague thought EE's service was so poor that she made a written complaint to Sony about them. Sony passed the letter onto EE, who telephoned my colleague and hurled abuse at her.

I was hardly surprised by this story.