Bravia X Series Patchy Backlight Bleed

CHEERS SCALP!!!!......

Now heres a challenge. If I connect via VGA to the lcd,buy the HD/DVD player for the 360 and download(via xbox live) the app for displaying full 1080p will This tv display the full 1080p over the VGA?????

Before I get slammed for not staying on topic I apologise in advance!!!! ( the reason for this is for some reason im not allowed to start a new thread :blink:

Hey bravia40X - congrats on getting a goody. There is a more general thread on the Bravia X's here: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=39725 ... probably a better place to discuss non cloud issue stuff.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CHEERS SCALP!!!!......

Now heres a challenge. If I connect via VGA to the lcd,buy the HD/DVD player for the 360 and download(via xbox live) the app for displaying full 1080p will This tv display the full 1080p over the VGA?????

Before I get slammed for not staying on topic I apologise in advance!!!! ( the reason for this is for some reason im not allowed to start a new thread :blink:

Isnt the maximum resolution of the VGA input 1360x768 ((link to UK manual - see p44)

You cant post topics until you have 10 posts.(Read the pinned thread in the "suggestions help and announcements thread" <link>)

bravia40x: Not slamming you for the post, but didnt you already get the answer in the other Bravia thread?

Its a pity that the VGA doesnt do 1080p, but I wouldnt feel right in using it anyway. Just knowing that watching my DVDs through component isnt very satisfying. I currently run my DVDs through my PC with HDMI.

All digital.

All channels.

All the time.

I picked up my new 46X last night - and I would say that cloudiness is apparent if you look for it.

That sucks obviously, but (though this may sound odd) it doesn't irk me enough to seek a refund/replacement. It is only apparent (to my eyes) when the room is completely dark and the screen is blank (e.g. no input). Before making a decision, I ran some "dark" content through it (e.g. firefly/star wars space scenes, LOTR night battle, Blade etc) and I couldn't pick it.

It also occured to me later that I had done the testing with max backlight. Once I turned that down, it was even harder to pick on a blank screen.

Bottom line, if I hadn't done my research beforehand, I probably wouldn't have noticed it. Now I have noticed it, it doesn't bother me.

I can understand why it would bother others (and I fully support your attempts to get a good result), but I am completely smitten and overall extremely happy with the picture - the city fly over scenes in "Without a trace" looked like something from an HD demo loop :blink:

I picked up my new 46X last night - and I would say that cloudiness is apparent if you look for it.

That sucks obviously, but (though this may sound odd) it doesn't irk me enough to seek a refund/replacement. It is only apparent (to my eyes) when the room is completely dark and the screen is blank (e.g. no input). Before making a decision, I ran some "dark" content through it (e.g. firefly/star wars space scenes, LOTR night battle, Blade etc) and I couldn't pick it.

It also occured to me later that I had done the testing with max backlight. Once I turned that down, it was even harder to pick on a blank screen.

Bottom line, if I hadn't done my research beforehand, I probably wouldn't have noticed it. Now I have noticed it, it doesn't bother me.

I can understand why it would bother others (and I fully support your attempts to get a good result), but I am completely smitten and overall extremely happy with the picture - the city fly over scenes in "Without a trace" looked like something from an HD demo loop :blink:

Excellent Pun-Person! ... glad to hear it. They all seem to vary to some degree - for instance, mine is blindingly obvious in lowish lighting with any dark scene... like 3 torches are being shone on the screen. If it was like yours I'd have stuck with it too because it's such a great image otherwise. Enjoy and don't come back!

Hi Guys,

I;ve been following the AVS and AV forum threads on this issue since I bought my V series 32" a week ago.

I find it interesting that no one else in here with a V series model has complained. I definitely have both the cloudiness issue and the torch light issue in the top left hand corner of the screen. I bought my TV from Good Guys DFO Essendon, and they have agreed to let me swap it for another set...problem is that they dont have any in stock and wont have any till April. Seems there is a delya getting more stock out of Sony.

This HOPEFULLY means that Sony has changed their process in manufacture and these new sets will be fault free!!!!

I too spoke to a Sony rep who advised me to try changing the Power save settings and lower the backlight and turn on the light sensor etc... Tried all that and I still see it. So he said "take it back where you bought it and get it exchanged for another"....so hopefully Good Guys don't forget about me in April!

Its very annoying once you notice it...and it took me all of 3 seconds to notice it when I first turned it on. So if you LCD screen has this problem...its very noticable, probably more so in my case as the TV is in my bedroom, which is always very dark at night...

Perhaps people tha have these sets in their living room with more light may not notice it as much...?

No need to look at the US sony website for that info...its right here on our own...

http://www.sony.com.au/category.jsp?id=30607

Am I the ONLY V series owner with uneven backlight?

I have an old V series 40" and there is a slight uneveness in the top left hand area of the screen (only noticeable with a totally dark screen though).

Having said that, I didn't really notice it until I went looking after having read this thread!

It's nothing like having torches shining on it or the like though.

Drew :blink:

I have an old V series 40" and there is a slight uneveness in the top left hand area of the screen (only noticeable with a totally dark screen though).

Having said that, I didn't really notice it until I went looking after having read this thread!

It's nothing like having torches shining on it or the like though.

Drew :blink:

What if you watch Star Wars or some other Sci-fi movie with lots of dark night sky scenes? I see em all the time...and for the moeny we spend on this gear, I really think we deserve the right to have higher expectations...

Just wondering if there is anyone out there that owns an X series that DOESN'T have the clouding. I really think that every one of these displays has the issue to some degree and those that haven't found it yet just don't know what to look for and where to look for it. That's not a bad thing by any means. I'm now looking at the 3rd 46x I've had since the 9th of November last year. I haven't set it up or turned it on yet but I'm praying it will be the Holy Grail of X series displays and be cloud freed.

Just wondering if there is anyone out there that owns an X series that DOESN'T have the clouding. I really think that every one of these displays has the issue to some degree and those that haven't found it yet just don't know what to look for and where to look for it. That's not a bad thing by any means. I'm now looking at the 3rd 46x I've had since the 9th of November last year. I haven't set it up or turned it on yet but I'm praying it will be the Holy Grail of X series displays and be cloud freed.

I have a set Dec 06 model with very very little clouding, and that is also visible when there is no input, and on the top left hand corner

I was fearing having to take back a second when the cloudyness started appearing after first week of running. Got quite bad after another week, and was almost ready to take it back. But then, it got less noticeable, and just about gone now. There is now just a small bloom in the top left corner, which I accept as a natural fault of LCDs, and quite happy with the screen.

I do feel sympathy for all those out there who dont have any improvement with their screens. I just made sure that warranty and what it covered was gonna satisfy not only dead pixels, but any other objectionable problems. JB have done it again, quite well indeed.

G'day fellas first time poster, I read a few pages of the thread but not all please forgive me :blink:

Got a December build 40' x series.

Just wondering what my options are.

I bloody cut up the box into little pieces yesterday and then noticed this cloudyness and searched google for a Australian TV forum.

Would I still be able to notify HN and say there is a problem, or SONY?

I have not tinkered with any settings on the T.V, is there a Burn in period or some colour / contrast / brightness settings you suggest.

I appreciate your time for reading my post cheers!

I have zero clouding.

40"

Early build.

+1

Just bought a 40'' x series after returning two F sumsungs. On first impressions couldn't be happier. Perfect blacks and no clouds I can see. I am very glad in particular that SD looks immeasurably better on the sony than on sumsungs. I bought it mostly for TV. In general would say that so far on my experiences sony is a far superior product.

WARNING!!!

Do NOT press too hard when you wipe your LCD screen to clean it.!!!!

My wife was wiping our 6 day old Bravia last night with a soft cloth, tried to remove a finger print from the top left hand corner of rthe screen...and CRACK!!!!!

My whole screen is screwed!!!! What AM I TO DO NOW!!?????? :P:P:P:blink::D:P

WARNING!!!

Do NOT press too hard when you wipe your LCD screen to clean it.!!!!

My wife was wiping our 6 day old Bravia last night with a soft cloth, tried to remove a finger print from the top left hand corner of rthe screen...and CRACK!!!!!

My whole screen is screwed!!!! What AM I TO DO NOW!!?????? :P:P:P:blink::D:P

Oh dear oh dear. Sorry to hear that.

The only thing I can think of, do you have insurance policy that has accidental breakage cover?

I have no idea whether there is truth to this "burn in" theory, but my backlight appears to have evened out now as well. Watching it in a dark room last night, i couldn't spot the problem (apart from a tiny part in the top right hand corner) even on a blank screen - happy days.

Mate - that is terrible about your screen. Insurance is your best bet, failing that it is going to be a screen replacement - which will cost a small fortune.

Is the crack only noticeable when the tv is off, or when on as well?

This is the big let down on LCDs. The screens are too fragile compared to plasmas IMO. Especially when you have kids.

No its not visible unless you turn the screen on....then it VERY visible...half the screen is black...with a mark that looks like a bullet hole....

That's partially why LCD are much lighter than plasma, the glass must be very thin to crack with such ease.

Steffche: Sorry to heard about your mishap.

It's VERY thin... My wife is no superhero, and she's more stressed out than I am about it...

I don't understand why they can't put a thicker glass over the front..like plasma screens...?

I don't know what I'm going to do about it eitehr...totally stressed out!