Bravia X Series Patchy Backlight Bleed

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Learnt some more regarding the clouding issue. I mentioned to a Toshiba dealer I'm buying a HD-DVD player off, the clouding issue with the Sony X series. He knew exactly what I was talking about and told me that early 47" 1080i displays from Tosh had the same issue and he'd found away to fix it.

Turns out, according to him, that problem is that during assembly of the panels the frames holding the screens can twist slightly out of shape from being too tightly screwed to the chassis.

This can cause pressure on the corners of the screen which results in the light patches we see. The remedy he used to fix the Toshibas was to loosen off the frame screws just a couple of turns and then massage the screen with a rolled up towel.

This apparently eases the tension on the screen where the clouding is. I asked if the there was any issue with the screen being to fragile to try this, but he assured me that the screens were a lot tougher than we realise and can handle it.

I haven't tried this mind you on the 46X I have because it's going back so there's no real point, but if someone is prepared to try it may be the answer to our prayers.

Paying Top dollar and being a Sony you would expect the panel to be perfect. Sony advertise this panel as having 'black' blacks and because my LCD doesn’t I think I am entitled to get the TV repaired or replaced.

If a Magnavox or Teac had this issue I wouldn’t be complaining because of the cheaper price but a Sony should be perfect.

I've just purchased the Bravia X 52 inch LCD a few days ago and it seems perfect to me. I was quite worried after reading about the clouding issue that you're talking about but this seems fine. The TV that its replacing is a 40 inch Bravia V which was also fine. So that was a relief.

Well, I spoke to a guy at the VIctorian Consumer Affairs who seems quite keen to help me take the issue of my cloudy Bravia to the Civil & Administrative Tribunal.

He did say that it was one of the most difficult kind of cases because it would be difficult to prove that the cloudy TV is faulty and not just something to be expected with LCD technology.

Sadly my plan of persuing the retailer for a replacement or refund didn't really work, as the guy said that it would be Sony he would be talking to. And I think Sony would fight the hardest because they have the most to lose.

I'll tell you how it goes.

I would be interested to know. I am still waiting for Sony to give me a response to my issue.

Don't hold your breath Cooper! :blink:

Seriously - good luck - be interesting to see what response you finally get. But if it's much different to the"First we've heard of it. There's nothing wrong with it" line we'd all be surprised I think.

I've reported two 46x's with Sony re the clouding and both times they start off by saying that this is the first they've heard of it!!! Funny that Sony are the only ones on the planet that haven't heard about an issue with an item they build and sell. And a world wide issue at that. I love the picture on the Sony and will be sad to see it go, but this has left a sour taste in my mouth that will last for a very long time.

The Civil & Administrative will decide on the outcome if the case goes to court. It will be legally binding on Sony, but not on me, so if I decide after all that that's in my best interests to keep the TV and not get a refund, that's acceptable.

I had a chat with my other half, who doesn't really seem to think the clouding's that bad of an issue (which I find bizarre but there you go), and we were concerned that there weren't any decent alternatives to the Bravia X. We need an LCD because our lounge gets lots of sunlight, and we plan on shipping the TV to the UK in a couple of years, so plasma isn't suitable as it's very heavy and quite reflective.

If we win a court case against Sony we'll take a refund, and then if we can't find a decent alternative TV we'll consider buying another Bravia X. The prices have already some down since we bought ours, and I honestly believe that our current panel has one of the more severe cases of clouding - so if we're lucky we may end up with a slightly cheaper, slightly less cloudy TV.

I know it sounds like a lot of trouble for potentially nothing (and we may lose), but I think somebody has to take Sony to task over this, and I'm happy for it to be me. As far as I'm aware, there are no fees for going to VCAT. A friend used it some years ago and only had to pay for a search for the full business details as part of their application. I'll double-check and get back to you.

If anybody else who lives in Victoria has had the same problem and has been considering taking legal action, I would strongly advise that they contact Consumer Affairs Victoria (the sooner the better!). There's strength in numbers! I'll post some more details later on.

He did say that it was one of the most difficult kind of cases because it would be difficult to prove that the cloudy TV is faulty and not just something to be expected with LCD technology.

I would love to see Sony argue in a court like context that, due to the nature of LCD technology, a $5500 TV may be "cloudy" - it would be great publicity for their flagship line of TV's...

As far as I'm aware, there are no fees for going to VCAT. A friend used it some years ago and only had to pay for a search for the full business details as part of their application. I'll double-check and get back to you.

VCAT Fees

Probably comes under fair trading, under $10,000.. so $33.30.

I am looking at purchasing one of these 40x series bravias for my parents, after reading all of this I have sent off an email to sony and this was there reply -

We do not have specific numbers on how many units have been serviced through our service centres.

The cloudiness effect can be seen at times on the X Series BRAVIA, however, tuned to the correct settings, the cloudiness can be minimal or not there at all.

You can find more information on http://www.sony.com.au/category.jsp?id=30607

Thanks for the info guys.

I have been following this thread for the last couple of months. My next purchase is a 1080p display and possibly not the sony.

Looks like I will keep waiting till later this year.

I did want one for the start of the AFL season. Can't wait to see chanel 10 HD broadcast.

Thanks for the info guys.

I have been following this thread for the last couple of months. My next purchase is a 1080p display and possibly not the sony.

Looks like I will keep waiting till later this year.

I did want one for the start of the AFL season. Can't wait to see chanel 10 HD broadcast.

Hi Dragme,

Although slightly off topic, I wouldn't get too excited about the AFL on channel 10. I was hanging out to see channel 10's broadcast of AFL on my 40x2000 as I was under the impression that it would be true HD (at least 1080i). Every time I've watch the footy on large panel display's in the showrooms, I've been less than impressed.

On the weekend I watched some of the Friday night football on channel 7 (Which was pretty crappy, but I put this down to the 576p broadcast). and then on Saturday on channel 10. What a disappointment. No difference, just as crappy. (Made the cricket look superb!). It appears that no one has bothered to upgrade their field video camera's. You would probably get as good if not better PQ on a SD plasma. Be interested in anyone else's comments.

I'm one of the lucky ones and don't believe I have the cloudiness issue that others are reporting, but I'm also not going out of my way to find a problem with this fantastic TV!

Cheers!

Sounds like no-one is having any joy DeepUnder. Personally, I have given up banging my head against the wall that is Sony support.

This is why, as soon as my TV was 'fixed', I stopped dealing with Sony and went to Consumer Affairs. I've read pages and pages of threads on forums about how Sony have been fobbing off their customers (or trying to), and I wasn't going to waste my time with that.

Just bought a bravia 40" x series (hence the name). Blows me away. Had to fiddle with the settings but have it just right now. The xbox 360 is the best I've seen on a lcd,sharp with no blurring at all.

DVD's however.....I am connected with my 360 via component and watch my DVD's this way. Does anyone know if there is any significant difference in a dvd player with HDMI ???

also if anyone has the best settings for this tv with the footy would be greatly appreciated!!

BTW : not sure if I can see any cloudiness switching between inputs.....But it's definately not there in dark scenes in DVD or TV (or games for that matter) so i guess that's all that matters right?

360 KICKS BUTT ON THIS DISPLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEST IVE SEEN

This is why, as soon as my TV was 'fixed', I stopped dealing with Sony and went to Consumer Affairs. I've read pages and pages of threads on forums about how Sony have been fobbing off their customers (or trying to), and I wasn't going to waste my time with that.

how are you going with the consumer affairs?

DVD's however.....I am connected with my 360 via component and watch my DVD's this way. Does anyone know if there is any significant difference in a dvd player with HDMI ???

Essentially no difference between HDMI and component with good video processing circuitry

Search Function is your friend: -> (Search titles +HDMI +difference +Component show threads)

Even more ... (Search Titles +HDMI +Component show as threads)

J.

CHEERS SCALP!!!!......

Now heres a challenge. If I connect via VGA to the lcd,buy the HD/DVD player for the 360 and download(via xbox live) the app for displaying full 1080p will This tv display the full 1080p over the VGA?????

Before I get slammed for not staying on topic I apologise in advance!!!! ( the reason for this is for some reason im not allowed to start a new thread :blink: