Bravia X Series Patchy Backlight Bleed

Well, no. 3 goes back tomorrow. HN want it back but haven't got a replacement for me so I will have to wait till they get more stock in. :blink:

Phoned sony again and they suggested the "leave it on for 40 hours and will be good trick" I told him I left the last set on for four days and it didn't make any difference. He said OK and take it back to HN. He even thanked me for my patience!

I hope HN aren't planning on screwing me around

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't you keep the set and wait until HN have more in stock?

They yabbered on about it needing to be sent away before a certain time to get warranty, BS I know. But I don't care, all I want is one that is perfect. Well close enough anyway! The Sony guy said I should l keep it until the stock comes in. Might ring them in the morning and push the issue.

The set is another August build Crayons, that is three now.

you know the patchness goes away when you reduce the backlight intenity. I set mine to 5. I also removed the digital and edge enhancing. it improved the black level

Mine was there no matter what. It was a funny shape and that is what made it so discernable at night. It was hard to pick up during the day. But night is when I am usually watching a movie and then, on dark scenes, it was very noticable. For top of the line gear it just shouldn't be the case. I normally had back light on about 3 for movies but higher on games.

you can also try setting Power Saving to low or High and this will improve the black level, but sacrifices the white level as it turns the fluro down.

as a standard test setup for clouds what settings do people have where they can see the clouds.

eg does anyone have no clouds with the following

room lights = pitch black

Sony X settings

backlight = max

power save = off

light sensor = off

picture = vivid

contrast = 90

brightness = 50

edge enhancer off

noise reduction = off

black corrector = off

clear white = off

adv cobtrast enhancer = off

you can also try setting Power Saving to low or High and this will improve the black level, but sacrifices the white level as it turns the fluro down.

as a standard test setup for clouds what settings do people have where they can see the clouds.

eg does anyone have no clouds with the following

room lights = pitch black

Sony X settings

backlight = max

power save = off

light sensor = off

picture = vivid

contrast = 90

brightness = 50

edge enhancer off

noise reduction = off

black corrector = off

clear white = off

adv cobtrast enhancer = off

Judging by your settings you must be burning a hole in the back of your eye sockets!

I dont know that you can eliminate the bleeding if you have it bad enough. If its there when you watch a movie etc and not just when you swith inputs then you really need to look at trying to get a replacement set.

While i have an x series i dont have it when watching a feed.

... yeah... and you might as well have bought a chinese TV and pocketed the considerable change. :blink:

My backlight bleed has disappeared. Thought it was obvious, but mainly can see it (ever so slightly) when changing channels. Frustrating how changing channels takes forever, and you cant skip through by pressing the channel button 3 times if you know where to stop.

Actually, just looking just then, that I can see some white clouds from an angle, but from on, not a problem. Must be intermittant, or I am looking for faults that arent even there.

Best TV ever!

One thing I cant work out how to configure, is that when the image is dark, such as night time scenes, that the TV itself goes even darker. Then when bright scene comes in, there is a noticeable increase in brightness, for an ever so slight milisecond.

Can this be fixed up? Its noticeable when doing gaming as well from the PC, is a bit annoying.

My backlight bleed has disappeared. Thought it was obvious, but mainly can see it (ever so slightly) when changing channels. Frustrating how changing channels takes forever, and you cant skip through by pressing the channel button 3 times if you know where to stop.

Actually, just looking just then, that I can see some white clouds from an angle, but from on, not a problem. Must be intermittant, or I am looking for faults that arent even there.

Best TV ever!

One thing I cant work out how to configure, is that when the image is dark, such as night time scenes, that the TV itself goes even darker. Then when bright scene comes in, there is a noticeable increase in brightness, for an ever so slight milisecond.

Can this be fixed up? Its noticeable when doing gaming as well from the PC, is a bit annoying.

Yes, it can be stopped. I don't have my tv at the moment so can't remember the exact name but you need to put it on custom, then go to advanced settings, then turn off (or atleast turn down) the black corrector (not sure if that is the right name).

Good luck.

!

Can this be fixed up?

I have exactly the same problem as it annoys my wife when I play around with the settings constantly..

By the way, anyone got IDEAL settings for the PS2 ?

Just got off the phone to HN. The salesman spoke to the local sony rep who said the problem was humidity in the backlight and by running the set for 40 hours would fix it. I told the HN dude that I ran the second one for 96 hours straight while I was off at work and it didn't make any difference. He just went, "oh"

So sony won't swap the sets now because, according to the rep, it isn't a fault. I couldn't be bothered playing the Bravia lottery any more, so I guess I have to pick a different tv now :blink:

Just got off the phone to HN. The salesman spoke to the local sony rep who said the problem was humidity in the backlight and by running the set for 40 hours would fix it. I told the HN dude that I ran the second one for 96 hours straight while I was off at work and it didn't make any difference. He just went, "oh"

So sony won't swap the sets now because, according to the rep, it isn't a fault. I couldn't be bothered playing the Bravia lottery any more, so I guess I have to pick a different tv now :D

Wonder how Mr Matey got Sony to do a repair and swap the LCD panel if this is still the official line? Good luck in your search to find something new to watch Blackadder on Mr Ploppy. If you di find a corker let us know, I might just give up on Sony too at this rate. :blink:

So sony won't swap the sets now because, according to the rep, it isn't a fault. I couldn't be bothered playing the Bravia lottery any more, so I guess I have to pick a different tv now :blink:

This doesn't make sense. First HN agreed to swap the set and now they're telling you otherwise?

And they're refusing to swap it to another Sony set but let you pick a different brand?

Yeah davep, it's a bit ordinary but honestly I have run out of puff with these sets. It is such a PIA to get the sets back and forth, relying on mates and rellies to move the sets with me working 4 on 4 off. I just want a TV I can turn on and enjoy, not one I will be forever looking at it's glaring faults everytime there is a dark scene.

Well crayons, as to what I will get for a replacement, I haven't a clue! :blink: Was thinking maybe the bigger sammy or toshiba. I'm FIIK!! The search starts again....

This doesn't make sense. First HN agreed to swap the set and now they're telling you otherwise?

And they're refusing to swap it to another Sony set but let you pick a different brand?

I think this is Sony's way of saying that I am an annoying prick and will I please F%$k off!!!

Yeah davep, it's a bit ordinary but honestly I have run out of puff with these sets. It is such a PIA to get the sets back and forth, relying on mates and rellies to move the sets with me working 4 on 4 off. I just want a TV I can turn on and enjoy, not one I will be forever looking at it's glaring faults everytime there is a dark scene.

Well crayons, as to what I will get for a replacement, I haven't a clue! :blink: Was thinking maybe the bigger sammy or toshiba. I'm FIIK!! The search starts again....

I think this is Sony's way of saying that I am an annoying prick and will I please F%$k off!!!

Mr Ploppy just promise us all you wont be looking for those clouds in your next set, Sony or no Sony! Otherwise you will do your head in everytime you watch your panel...

I agree with you about the issue staring you in the face every time you watch a dark scene. The worse thing is, that, if you are like me, as soon as you find a problem, you will keep looking for it and it will annoy for the rest of its life :blink: Movement of the panel must be a pain - the drawback of large flat panels :D In the future someone will invent a collapsible TV that can be easily transported :P