Bravia X Series Patchy Backlight Bleed

If there is a waiting period for a replacement unit, then to me it is perfectly reasonable to retain the existing unit until the replacement is delivered. The TV has been paid for after all.

To some extent it comes down to how well individual owners of the faulty units can negotiate replacement terms.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Retailer has put a normal order in for one from the new shipment. When it arrives (2 weeks) they call me, I repack this one and they bring out the new one and exchange is done. The one I have setup and hanging on the wall stays until the new one is available. It's still very watchable just not up to scratch.

To be honest, those pictures look pretty normal for an LCD to me. I'd actually go so far as to say that most LCDs are even worse than that.

In my experience...

LCD + dark room = grey, blotchy blacks.

If you want top notch blacks in a dark room then maybe the Sony 'R' series are a better bet. LCD's main strength is their performance in a bright room.

To be honest, those pictures look pretty normal for an LCD to me. I'd actually go so far as to say that most LCDs are even worse than that.

In my experience...

If you want top notch blacks in a dark room then maybe the Sony 'R' series are a better bet. LCD's main strength is their performance in a bright room.

Wow Andrew - that's quite an interesting view you have. Did you look at all the pictures, including those shot from within movies? Or even have a look at the pictures in the US thread link posted on page one?

Today I had the opportunity to compare a number of LCD's in ideal lighting conditions. None of these exhibited anything like this problem - and all were significantly cheaper than the X series (including Sony's own V series and below). Sure - black was not exactly black...... but there was certainly none of the noticeable clouds. I would like to know how you would consider this acceptable on Sony's premium model, when LCD's at half the price don't appear to have such an issue?

Needless to say I have already returned mine.

One further point - some people have asked how to determine if their set has these clouds. In my opinion - that's not the point. Where they are not noticed, there is no point looking for them. For those who have the problem with their TV - they will know immediately. There is no requirement to heighten certain settings or stare intently at an all black background. Instead this becomes apparent immediately when watching any material with any form of night scenes, black borders, or generally darker scenes. It's that obvious.

I disagree. For the premium price that Sony charge. The LCD should be BLOTCH free, particularly if a display model does not exhibit such a problem.

The black level is a different story, as this is a limit of the technology, rather than the poor quality of a batch of LCDs.

I have the 40x and after reading this topic I turned my lights off and switched to one of the AV channels to see if there was any issue. I'm happy to say that I don't see anything of the sort on mine. Is it likely to happen in the future if you don't see it now ?

Anyway, my backlight is at 3 and brightness at 56. Don't have any visible leakage on the sides that I can see either so I'm quite happy with my set. Got mine one month ago.

Together with "Mr Ploppy" (who's name concerns me greatly!)

That gave me a good chuckle Crayons! Sorry to report but no fecal fetishes here! I took the name from a favorite bit character from a Blackadder 2 episode "Head"

Edmund: Good, well done and your name is ?

Mr Ploppy: Ploppy Sir.

Edmund: Ploppy ?

Mr Ploppy: Yes Sir.

Edmund: Ploppy the jailor ?

Mr Ploppy: That's right Sir. Ploppy son of Ploppy.

Edmund: Ploppy, son of Ploppy the jailor ?

Mr Ploppy: Ah ach no Sir. I am the first Ploppy to rise to be jailor. My father, Daddy

Ploppy was known as Ploppy the slopper. It was from him that I inherited my

fascinating skin diseases.

Edmund: Yes you are to be congratulated, my friend, we, we live in an age where

illness and deformity are common place and yet Ploppy, you are without a doubt the

most repulsive individual that I have ever met. I would shake your hand but I fear it would

come off.

Mr Ploppy: There's no many bosses would be that considerate sir.

/end of diversion...

Thanks for starting this thread highfed12. Some very interesting information arising out of this. I was going to swap the set tomorrow but I think I will ring HN and ask for a set in the new batch in December. The pictures of yours clouds are as bad as my first one. The second one is a bit better but still very distracting.

I rang Sony customer support as well and they were very helpful, as have HN.

Mr. Ploppy you must have reached a different technician from the one I spoke with yesterday at lunch time.

I was calling prior to buying a set and was told that they were unaware of any clouding or backlight problems. He went away for a few minutes to check with his boss and he apparently had no knowledge either.

From this forum it appears that several at least had called before I did so I referred him to this forum and the one at AVS.

He was very pleasant about it all but said that if there was any concern they would have heard from Sony - implying that therefore there was no problem.

One has to think of the AWB and wonder whether this is a ploy as it seems to me that they want to retain deniability.

For interest, the last of a 15 page thread on this subject on the AVS forum is at

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....ge=15&pp=30

That's a typical response. I have yet to hear any manufacturer accept that they have a problem with something they sell. Initially anyway. Sony would be well aware of the issue by now. This isn't just an issue here and is much bigger in the US, where they will string Sony up if it isn't fixed. Consumer rights over there carry the death penalty!!!

That's why it important to report it to both Sony and your retailer. Make sure to record the time/date you reported it and the person to whom you reported it. And make sure to obtain a job No. They don't always volunteer these but they will give it to you if you ask.

That's weird polyp, it would be easily a couple of weeks since I spoke to Sony about the problem. Maybe they are keeping it under wraps?

My current set was made in August BTW

Sounds like standard procedure to me! Create hole. Donk. Heads in sand. "Oh, it's nice and dark in here. We can't see any light patches."

Seriously - these guys will be trained to act unruffled and deny everything to put off as many whingers as possible. I imagine that somewhere deep within the bowels of Sony there is some serious crisis management going on. Heads rolling, etc. Probably placing the Bravia Production managers heads alongside the pile marked "Ex heads of production on PS3, Cybershot, and lappy batteries." :blink:

Yeah I agree...Sony have had a bad run lately and this issue, which is a world wide issue, is the last thing they would want. The fact that it is a world wide problem works in out favour really. Had the issue only been with OZ units they would have been able to sweep it under the carpet, but they certainly can't do that with US and UK owners. Strange that a company that really was a world force in electronics and once the absoulute leader in Video displays (Profeel Monitors) has lost its way like this.

I'd have normally said that globalization and moving there production out of Japan , well most of it, was the cause, but the fact that the Profeel was made in Germany and OZ x series are made in JPN, though the panels are Korean, blows that theory out of the water. Perhaps they should have stayed out of the music and Film industry and kept doing what they did best, making displays and Hi Fi components.

So far I've been satisfied with the response by Sony and my retailer and still hope that the patchiness issue is purely a teething problem and that the new batch arriving mid December will be perfect... Lets hope so. These units are a pain to take off and put back on a wall!!

By the way: Someone in an earlier post said they'd never seen an LCD with a totally uniform background in the dark. Or words similar. Well I have a 3yr old 26" Toshiba LCD and it has a perfectly uniform black background, so there's no reason EVERY x series can't have one!

By the way: Someone in an earlier post said they'd never seen an LCD with a totally uniform background in the dark. Or words similar. Well I have a 3yr old 26" Toshiba LCD and it has a perfectly uniform black background, so there's no reason EVERY x series can't have one!

My 40V has a uinform black(well close to it) background.....no reason any X series shouldn't.

Keep the faith Mr Ploppy! (I do remember that Blackadder episode!) I'm looking at my set now and I have to say - decent HD broadcasts are just sterling and the blacks are way deeper than a previous LCD set I had. Just gotta get this cloud issue ironed out... let us know how you go with your latest swap!

My 40" X has this same issue... I can see the backlight bleeding out in dark screens, especially in the corners. It was made in August and I bought it 3 weeks ago.

I noticed it almost straight out of the box but I thought it must just be a common issue with LCD's until I read this thread... Now I'm angry.

Does anyone think it would be possible to return the TV to the retailer (JB hi fi) for a completely different brand of TV? as I am most unhappy with Sony's recent spate of debacles and I would like to throw my money elsewhere. Or would they only allow me to swap for another X series which could possibly have the same issues.

Hi all, I'm in New Zealand and just bought a Bravia X series 46" LCD TV yesterday at my local Harvey Norman. I noticed the white cloud issue straight away. It was made in October 2006. I don't know whether to return it or not... a replacement will probably yield the same problems. :blink:

I got the 40" about 4 weeks ago. (Aug 06 build) I immediately noticed the problem. Like most guys here, I've been weighing up whether to swap it or just put up with it. After weeks of reading the US & UK forums as well as here, I rang Sony today. The guy was very pleasant and while not admitting that he had heard of the problem, when he asked me to describe the screen, before I could say anything, he said,"is it like white clouds?"..... I knew he'd heard of it before. He asked me my name & postcode and where I'd brought it. He gave me his name & a Ref No. and suggested I ring the retailer.

I rang the retailer (Brisbane). The manager said he hadn't heard of the problem, in fact he said that he'd heard the opposite. That the blacks were so good. I agreed with him that the blacks were very good... apart from the white clouds. He also was very pleasant and then suggested I turn the backlight, contrast etc down to solve the problem. I explained I had done all that. He then said he'd have to talk to the salesman who sold me the TV and would get back to me. I thought to myself, here we go. The MANAGER having to talk to the saleman to make a decision, doesn't sound right, here comes the runaround.

Twenty minutes later the salesman calls. He informs me that he's never heard of the problem before. He again suggested adjusting the settings. After a few minutes explaining the problem & how unhappy I was, he says, "although there is a 3 week return policy(first I had heard of it) and it is now approx 4 weeks since I brought it, in a goodwill gesture they were prepared to swap the unit for a brand new one they had in the store. If I could box it up and bring it into the store, they would replace it. I explained that I had already thrown the box out and that I couldn't fit it in my car. He suggested I throw a blanket over it & put it on my back seat. I explained that I wasn't prepared to be further inconvenienced and have to take time off work & pay for petrol to return a TV that, through no fault of mine, was faulty.

He replied,"if you don't want to bring it in, I can always give you the Service Centre Tel No & you can call them and go through having the repairman visit & register it with Sony, which will all take time, or you can bring it in today and get a new TV.

Athough tempted, I called his bluff & asked for the Service Centre No. He then says he's got to talk with the manager. He comes back & says he has to talk with the delivery guy to arrange when they can deliver the new TV & do a swap.

Anyway, although I haven't yet got a new screen, & I don't know if it will also have the same problem, I'm glad I've taken the step towards not accepting quality I'm not happy with.

Apart from the fleeting moment when the saleman tried to get out of paying for delivery, everyone was pleasant & I hope my experience will encourage others, if they're not happy, to do something about it.

I'll keep you posted when the new screen is delivered on Monday.