Bravia X Series Patchy Backlight Bleed

Question for X Owners:

I have a query for 40X (or even 46) owners. I recently purchased a 40X and have noticed that when on an all black screen I can see some white patchiness (or shades). I presume it's the backlight bleeding into the picture? I find it's distracting, and particularly in the left corner it's irritating when watching a movie where a scene is very dark. Is this normal, or should the blacks be reasonably consistent? I do understand that being an LCD they can't do true blacks, but the inconsistency across the screen (particularly the bottom left corner) is frustrating.

Please note that this is not noticeable during bright daylight, but mostly only at night. I can see it with ambient lighting on in the room, but it is even more noticeable with the lights off.

Here are a couple of pictures to demonstrate in different lighting conditions etc:

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/4928/img3775mg2.jpg

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/2931/img3807cn1.jpg

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/4962/img3795tc4.jpg

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/2956/img3798lo4.jpg

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/8370/img3784uo6.jpg

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/1109/img3805ze0.jpg

I'd really love to hear from any X series owners - particularly if there are any out there who's TV's don't exhibit this.

Thanks.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup - I too have the patchy clouds of lightness on my brand new 40" X. Only visible in low light or dark conditions and I don't think they are quite as bad as your pics above but difficult to tell with photos. Top left is the worst spot on mine.

Together with "Mr Ploppy" (who's name concerns me greatly!) that makes 3 of us posting on this issue - hopefully we will hear from him soon on his replacement news and whether this is a fault that we can get addressed.

I guess we're either looking at a bad batch or this is just 'standard' for the X. Keen to see what other owners have to say on this - good or bad...

If your images are an accurate reflection of the black level consistency, then it is very poor. I tried out an el-cheapo Pyrod brand LCD earlier in the year, and although there was some black level inconsistency (one reason why I returned it), it wasn't that bad. I can't imagine that this unit would be typical of Sony's flagship X series LCD's, so it would be worth seeking a replacement if you are otherwise happy with the TV.

Before doing so, it might also be worth going to a retail outlet that has a darkened viewing area (Sony Central for example) and checking the black level uniformity on their display units. Black level uniformity on an S series LCD I recently saw at a Sony Centeral store (in the darkened area) was far better than your example.

Hmmm - that looks like the problem my Samsung(s) had (Sony and Samsung share panels). Must be some quality control problems in the plant.

Interestingly, my Sony V series does not exhibit these problems (even though I've looked long and hard for them)...

The plot thickens... check this thread out from the US...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....age=1&pp=30

Thanks for that thread -

To save others having to read the whole thing ....

Lots of complaints about uneven lighting (cloud / fog) - several photos there as well.

Many posters suggest that lying the panel flat for a while (15 mins) seems to help the problem ( :blink: not something I would be that keen to do)

Theory is that it is related to physical stress on the LCD matrix.

Sony seems to not be aware admitting that there is a problem at this stage.

Many people have the panels replaced only to get the same problem again.

It is only visible with dark viewing conditions on a dark screen - so not helpful to see the panel at a store unless they have a dark room.

J.

I still fail to see how Sony X series black levels are better than the majority of other LCDs like they, or reviews, state. I've seen DVDs playing in bright store settings as well as darkened rooms, and it still doesn't seem any better than what I see on everything else. The Teac that I bought has black levels that are far from great but I at least feel satisfied for the amount I paid, no way could I justify the extra $1500+ for a Sony with blacks that look like that.

Referring to the OP's pictures though, that doesn't look very healthy and I'd be calling Sony. That looks almost unbearable

I Just Bought My X46 2 days ago mine dosent seem to have this problem...

But the MAX display res when connected to a pc is 1360x768/60Hz as soon as i set it to 1920x1080 it displays it as 640x480/75Hz :blink:

I thought is Panel BOASTS 1920x1080 RES..... waiting to hear from sony... :D

Try setting the BackLight to AUTO in the settings..... Thats what mine is set to :P

But the MAX display res when connected to a pc is 1360x768/60Hz as soon as i set it to 1920x1080 it displays it as 640x480/75Hz :blink:

I thought is Panel BOASTS 1920x1080 RES..... waiting to hear from sony... :D

When you connect to the PC are you connecting by DVI/HDMI or by VGA. The panel does NOT support 1920x1080 by VGA, but does by DVI/HDMI (read the manual for the vga resolutions)

J

Can we try and keep this on-topic? VGA resolution is clearly specified in the manual. It's not hard.

OK... over at the AVSforum, speculation on the cause seems to be firming up into something pretty clear and it's making a lot of sense...

"That was only speculation about handling it a special way, since no one knows who or what is responsible for this issue exactly. It does seem like a pressure problem. The "clouds" are what happens when you touch an LCD screen. Only, no one is touching these screens to see the clouds?

True. I hypothesize that localized/uneven pressure points along the outer surface of the LCD panel acts to displace some of the liquid crystal matrix underneath which cause the clouding. As you said, pressing your fingertips against any LCD screen causes the screen to turn white where ever you touch it. The same thing could be happening to a lesser degree if there is any uneveness on the panel surface (due to manufacturing defects, etc). Laying the TV flat or rubbing the screen may have an effect on the cloudiness by spreading out or redistributing this unevenness (stress points). I hypothesize that localized/uneven pressure points along the outer surface of the LCD panel acts to displace some of the liquid crystal matrix underneath which cause the clouding. As you said, pressing your fingertips against any LCD screen causes the screen to turn white where ever you touch it. The same thing could be happening to a lesser degree if there is any uneveness on the panel surface (due to manufacturing defects, etc). Laying the TV flat or rubbing the screen may have an effect on the cloudiness by spreading out or redistributing this unevenness (stress points)."

... and...

"A forum member posted a link to pdfs detailing mura defects. I think it's what we're seeing with these panels. The pdfs are here:

http://www.orbitech.com.tw/doc/app-7.pdf

and here:

http://www.magictouch.com/Mura.pdf

"

Just rang Sony and mine is going back. No 'we'll send someone to look at it” or no "that's just LCD's". Very pleasant to deal with, and very accommodating. Almost like they were aware of the problem, though when I asked if they'd had any reports of it they said no.

Mine is an 'October 2006' build. (May have some relevance).

Just wondering how may owners have actually reported this issue to Sony. If you believe them I was the first. When/if you report it make sure you get a job No and document who you were talking to. If a heap starts asking for replacements they may start playing hard ball. Are the V and W series having similar issues?

WARNING: If you don't know what we're talking about and haven't seen the light patches, don't go looking for them!!!!

I just wish there was a quick and simple fix for this issue but I don't think there is. Apart from this one major issue, the X series is an excellent performer, and once sorted will be a brilliant set. Just hope that's exactly what they can do....Sony have had a pretty bad run lately. Hope they're not dropping the ball where there LCD's are concerned.

Steve

Are the V and W series having similar issues?

Like Surroundfan, i had 3 Samsungs with the same problem, see pic after my 3rd Samsung i'd had enough and swapped it for a Sony 40 V and couldn't be happier.

With my backlight settings:

Power saving high or low(am still undecided which way to go with this one yet)

backlight set to 2-3

I'm getting pretty good blacks, no bleed at all.

Even using the factory settings(no power saving and backlight on 10) i had no bleed/cloud.

Mine is an 'October 2006' build. (May have some relevance).

Mine Does not have this issue and it is "August 2006" Build

Even with Back Light up to max and Light Sensor set to off I can't reproduce this issue.

Call sony tell them you want a replacement..... :blink: Today2Night ACA anyone.... :D

I noticed this issue too last night when watching a movie (40")...

The patches are are again on the top left corner and center right areas. It kinda bothered me a bit and got me thinking about the other people in here who have had similar problems.

The only issue I have with returning it is:

1. I'll be without a TV while Sony replace/fix it

2. I'll get a new TV which will have a same problems again

3. I'll get a new TV with perhaps another worse problem

The reality is that completely dark scenes (appart from opening/closing credit screens) are minimal and I could just put up with it.

A question to anyone who has called Sony regardign the problem - did they come in and replace the set OR did they take the set away, perform a diagnostic and after assessing that you need a new screen did they replace it? If so, how long was the process?

Thanx!

Just been told that a new batch of X series are not due in till mid December, which suits me fine and hopefully this new batch will have any issues ironed out. You have to go thru your retailer, but make sure to call Sony and get a job No off them. Mine tried to tell me I'd have to pay another $35 delivery fee for the change over unit!! Told them that wasn't going to happen and they dropped the subject very quickly.

I'd avise anyone that has even the slightest patchiness to let Sony know, even if you can't be bothered having it replaced. Complaing is the only way you will get a rise in QC.

Just been told that a new batch of X series are not due in till mid December, which suits me fine and hopefully this new batch will have any issues ironed out. You have to go thru your retailer, but make sure to call Sony and get a job No off them. Mine tried to tell me I'd have to pay another $35 delivery fee for the change over unit!! Told them that wasn't going to happen and they dropped the subject very quickly.

I'd avise anyone that has even the slightest patchiness to let Sony know, even if you can't be bothered having it replaced. Complaing is the only way you will get a rise in QC.

So... Bodalenko... Sorry to bang on... but what's the procedure? Are you now in the queue waiting for the new batch and when they arrive they ship one out and take the old one at the same time? From the retailer? Or do you have to be without the set for a while?