Sign in to follow this  
consoleMan

Panasonic Px600a Calibration Settings

Guest spoleweski
Try this.

http://www.eaprogramming.com/

Go to the downloads page. Download the zip file of the DVD-R ISO. Unzip, and burn to a DVD, then put it on repeat

Has this been proven to be 'ok' for the TV? Just don't want to take any chances. Thanks

To those that are not aware, one of the forum members emailed Pana and asked about the run in period on these new plasmas, the answer from Pana is NO run in period required, already done in the factory.
I'm not sure if this was ever confirmed though, I think there was some confusion as to whether this was actually correct or not. Checking the hours on my Pana after purchasing it didn't reveal any hours racked up at the factory.

I think it's probably best to be safe than sorry and do at least 100 hours of running in at below 50% contrast and brightness and avoid sources which have static components like black bars or logos. I personally just left my set on a lot on the HDTV loops of Channel 9 and 10, the 100 hours were racked up in a few weeks.

Even after run in, remember that things like the black bars are best avoided for long periods not due to the potential for burn in (which is very rare on these newer gen plasmas), but because the phosphors age differently and so you'll be left with brighter and darker patches on your TV over time.

I'm not sure if this was ever confirmed though, I think there was some confusion as to whether this was actually correct or not. Checking the hours on my Pana after purchasing it didn't reveal any hours racked up at the factory.

I think it's probably best to be safe than sorry and do at least 100 hours of running in at below 50% contrast and brightness and avoid sources which have static components like black bars or logos. I personally just left my set on a lot on the HDTV loops of Channel 9 and 10, the 100 hours were racked up in a few weeks.

Even after run in, remember that things like the black bars are best avoided for long periods not due to the potential for burn in (which is very rare on these newer gen plasmas), but because the phosphors age differently and so you'll be left with brighter and darker patches on your TV over time.

PI, definitely better safe to be then sorry, If the factory did any Burn in I some how don't think that would show on the hrs, as they would have it either reset or the screen/panel would have got this process done as

a stand alone (not when all is put together, similar to running a car engine in on the dyno then fitting it to the car, so no KM would show on the odometer).

Anyway I found BC27's entry, here it is; http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...3631&st=120

Here is my email and response from Panasonic Australia. I have followed up with a question about colour watermarks (fox sports et al)

"I would like to clarify if the plasma screen I have purchased requires a "run in" period which I have read about on numerous home theatre forums, both Australian based and overseas. These forums suggest that brightness and contrast be kept below 50 for the first 100-200 hours, and that a picture that fills the screen be used as well. In addition, it is suggested that channel logos may "burn in" to my plasma screen if I watch channels that have these (I do, as I have Austar, and all commercial networks have them on 24/7 - apart from ad breaks. If you could clarify this for me, it would be greatly appreciated. xxxxx NSW Australia"

Their reply

Dear BC27,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Panasonic with your enquiry.

The required run in time for Plasma TV's and Panels is not need for Panasonic Plasma. These units are run in in the Factory as part of the normal Testing.

The channel logos displayed by the TV broadcasters in normally a very soft white, This low colour image will take a very long time to be burnt onto a Screen. The following details are explained in the operators manual.

Remember not to keep still pictures on the screen for extended lengths of time

Such still pictures cause after-images on the plasma screen if they are displayed for a long time. These after-images are not considered malfunctions and are not covered by the warranty. To decrease the chance of after-images, a screen saver will be automatically activated after a few minutes if there is no signal and if there is no operation in AV mode. The screen saver will be automatically deactivated when a signal is detected or an operation is executed.

I'll let you know of their next reply when it comes.

Cheers

OK thanks, looks like they are maintaining this line about factory burn in, so it must be true. The hours being reset is odd though, since firstly noone outside of the factory or factory approved reps are meant to see the service menu contents anyway, and secondly you'd think the hours would be activated the second the set turns on with the new firmware - why bother resetting the hours when the panel genuinely has had a certain number of hours of operation time?

Anyway I can vouch that after over a year of vigorous TV watching at relatively high contrast settings (see my signature), my 5th-gen Pana HD Plasma has had no burn-in, and no other issues or problems at all. These new generation plasmas really are relatively burn-in proof as long as you don't do anything stupid. As mentioned though, phosphor aging is a different story, which you should keep an eye on throughout the set's life.

To those that are not aware, one of the forum members emailed Pana and asked about the run in period on these new plasmas, the answer from Pana is NO run in period required, already done in the factory.

So I don't think too much should be read into the 100 or 200 hrs of running these plasmas in.

But it is after all your tv so you can do what you want with it as far as running it in that is.

This isn't true unfortunately. My panel came with zero hours on the clock (as did most) :blink: Not sure it makes much difference nowadays anyway :D

Does anyone know what resolution the internal DVB tuner is set to?

Can this be changed per a standalone STB?

It is automatic so it picks up whatever it is fed as far as I know. You cannot manually change it.

Can you also change the aspect ratio/zoom on the pana px600 in built tuner, ? and if so how ?

You can't change the aspect when watching FTA on the digital tuner. It is locked at 16:9. You can change the aspect on the analogue tuner or any other source fed in through the AV inputs using the "Aspect" button on your remote.

The required run in time for Plasma TV's and Panels is not need for Panasonic Plasma. These units are run in in the Factory as part of the normal Testing.
OK thanks, looks like they are maintaining this line about factory burn in, so it must be true. The hours being reset is odd though, since firstly noone outside of the factory or factory approved reps are meant to see the service menu contents anyway, and secondly you'd think the hours would be activated the second the set turns on with the new firmware - why bother resetting the hours when the panel genuinely has had a certain number of hours of operation time?

As Panasonic state in their reply to dlpnut, the panels are run in as part of the normal testing.

That means that they test each glass for quality control purposes on special test racks.

This will occur before the finished product is assembled so that the rest of the components of a complete plasma panel are not wasted if a glass is found to be faulty.

That's why you see no hours on your completed unit.

Cheers,

Peter

Guest spoleweski

I'm sure many of you have come across this dilemma. What if you were having a party and you wanted to play cds on your dvd player, but the image of the dvd screen may burn into the screen because it will be on the whole time the cd is playing. You can't turn the screen off can you? Then the sound won't play through the speakers. But if you have a home theater with a receiver it is possible to connect the dvd player straight to the speakers, correct?

As Panasonic state in their reply to dlpnut, the panels are run in as part of the normal testing.

That means that they test each glass for quality control purposes on special test racks.

This will occur before the finished product is assembled so that the rest of the components of a complete plasma panel are not wasted if a glass is found to be faulty.

That's why you see no hours on your completed unit.

Excellent reply, thanks. That makes perfect sense once explained!

Excellent reply, thanks. That makes perfect sense once explained!

LOL, I thought my explanation was ok toooooooooo (I even gave the car engine as an example), maybe I should go back to school. Thanks Peter for clearifying my explanation. :blink:

I'm sure many of you have come across this dilemma. What if you were having a party and you wanted to play cds on your dvd player, but the image of the dvd screen may burn into the screen because it will be on the whole time the cd is playing. You can't turn the screen off can you? Then the sound won't play through the speakers. But if you have a home theater with a receiver it is possible to connect the dvd player straight to the speakers, correct?

Yes, having your DVD player connected to your receiver would negate having to use your TV speakers, you could just turn your TV off once the cd is playing this way.

Thanks for the picture menu calibration chart, it works a treat with my Pana and Pioneer STB I may have to up the brightness on a few programs a little but it's a good reference point.

I have just replaced my Panasonic HD STB with a Pioneer 510 man what a difference in picture quality running through HDMI compared to Component, I have a much sharper picture now.

I have never liked Component as it always seems to me as to soften the picture too much I have even hooked up my DVD using SVHS rather than component for this reason, even though its suppose to be better than SVHS

Can someone pls post a link to "how to run in a new plasma tv" I see a lot of people talking about leaving it on certain settings for 100-200 hours, but I don't know what these settings are... or are they just the factory defaults? Thanks!

Can someone pls post a link to "how to run in a new plasma tv" I see a lot of people talking about leaving it on certain settings for 100-200 hours, but I don't know what these settings are... or are they just the factory defaults? Thanks!

Its in the 'sticky threads' (ie the threads that are at the top of the topic lists that dont become out of date).

Under Plasma burn in.

(Link)

j.

go back and read this thread from the beginning.

also go and read the pinned thread on plasma burn in.

therein lies your answer...

Guest spoleweski

Would it make much difference in terms of picture quality if I hooked up a progressive scan dvd player to the TH-42PX600A to watch TV? And if I were to do this do you need to connect the two devices by component cable or by the aerial?

Thanks for the info guys. I picked up a 42PX600a & am in running in mode. I must say that the panel is pretty good, given the compromises of various technologies these days. I had no probs accessing the service menus, (just use the red button to get to the end of service menu 1). I've clocked up 15hrs... Mine has firmware v31.040. Has anyone with older software updated via the OTA service?

Guest spoleweski
Thanks for the info guys. I picked up a 42PX600a & am in running in mode. I must say that the panel is pretty good, given the compromises of various technologies these days. I had no probs accessing the service menus, (just use the red button to get to the end of service menu 1). I've clocked up 15hrs... Mine has firmware v31.040. Has anyone with older software updated via the OTA service?

where did you purchase it from? do u have the purple snake effect?

where did you purchase it from?

As per the "how much you pay?" thread.

do u have the purple snake effect?

Yes. Only observed on the HPOF DVD. Not as bad as in the thread though. More like purple fringe dithering at gradients. It's more noticeable in "running in" mode. Once I up contrast, the issue is reduced. I'll post some pics later in the appropriate thread.

Guest spoleweski

Hey guys just need a quick question answered. I bought this cable from kmart today and wasn't sure if it was a component cable or not. I asked the guy in kmart... he didnt know what day it was and it doesnt specifically mention what kind of cable it is on the front.

http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/5448/imgp7241kq9.jpg

thanks guys!

Hey guys just need a quick question answered. I bought this cable from kmart today and wasn't sure if it was a component cable or not. I asked the guy in kmart... he didnt know what day it was and it doesnt specifically mention what kind of cable it is on the front.

http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/5448/imgp7241kq9.jpg

thanks guys!

That cable is a 2 x audio and 1 x video cable (actually says on the top of the box that it is a 3 rca audio/video cable). While it can be used in place of a component cable, the shielding on the audio leads will generally not be as good as a dedicated component set which contains 3 video leads.

Guest spoleweski

thanks for that! i might pick up a different lead in tandy under the dicksmith brand instead. ive searched around a bit for them and didnt really want to pay 50 bucks for a set. but they sell them at tandy for $20 at 0.5m which is hopefully as long as i need.

Guest spoleweski

I need a little help here guys with the aspect ratio.

I've hooked the pana up to a lg dvd recorder using component cables. Both the TV and DVDRec have the aerial going directly into their inputs via a splitter. But here's the problem, when I watch TV the picture is fine and is the right size, but when i go to record something on the DVDRec the picture comes out squashed and stretched when the signal goes through the DVD recorder. what am i doing wrong?

thanks guys, you've all been such a big help to me!

I need a little help here guys with the aspect ratio.

when i go to record something on the DVDRec the picture comes out squashed and stretched when the signal goes through the DVD recorder. what am i doing wrong?

Not having a dvd recorder but hazarding a guess;check the dvd recorders output is set to 16:9 ?