Panasonic Px600a Calibration Settings

Guest JimboTHX1138
I'm not too sure what's happened but i changed the colour matrix setting on my px600a while watching Channel Ten from SD to HD the other day. Ever since i did that the colour matrix option is greyed out and I can not change it back. Now on channel ten the picture displays faint vertical lines running all the way along the panel. It looks terrible compared with all other channels. I reset the panel to factory defaults and rescanned all channels but the colour matrix is still greyed out (and showing HD) and the picture looks really bad on Channel Ten, even when only recieving a SD signal from the tuner. Not sure if its coincidence, or what. Does anybody know if changing the colour matrix might have caused this, and if so how do i change it back?

576i SD colour matrix, greyed out and can't change

576p user can choose/change between SD and HD matrix

720p/1080i HD colour matrix, greyed out and can't change.

When you switched between them, you must have been watching a 576p signal.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JimboTHX1138
I'm not too sure what's happened but i changed the colour matrix setting on my px600a while watching Channel Ten from SD to HD the other day. Ever since i did that the colour matrix option is greyed out and I can not change it back. Now on channel ten the picture displays faint vertical lines running all the way along the panel. It looks terrible compared with all other channels. I reset the panel to factory defaults and rescanned all channels but the colour matrix is still greyed out (and showing HD) and the picture looks really bad on Channel Ten, even when only recieving a SD signal from the tuner. Not sure if its coincidence, or what. Does anybody know if changing the colour matrix might have caused this, and if so how do i change it back?

Sorry forgot to add that you must be living in Adelaide. Channel 10 HD is really bad at the moment, we are all getting the vertical lines you describe. So don't worry it's not your equipment, it's just what the CH 10 network is transmitting at the moment. It's been like it for about a week now.

• 1 month later...
DVI->HDMI (HD STB)

Mode: Standard

Contrast: 78 (63 * .78 = 49.14 = 49 increments on the PX600)

Brightness: 29 (63 * .29 = 18.27 = 18 increments on the PX600)

Color: 37 (63 * .37 = 23.31 = 23 increments on the PX600)

Sharpness: 20 (6 * .20 = 1.2 = 1 increment on the PX600)

Color Temp: Standard

Color Management: Off

MPEG NR: Off

Color Matrix: HD

Ch Color Set: Middle

Component (DVD)

Mode: Standard

Contrast: 78 (63 * .78 = 49.14 = 49 increments on the PX600)

Brightness: 29 (63 * .29 = 18.27 = 18 increments on the PX600)

Color: 63 (63 * .63 = 39.69 = 40 increments on the PX600)

Sharpness: 20 (6 * .20 = 1.2 = 1 increment on the PX600)

Color Temp: Standard

Color Management: Off

D.PNR: Off

Color Matrix: HD

Ch Color Set: Middle

Hope this helps.

Out of interest, do most 600a users find that their ideal settings are similar to those in the first post. I found that the DVD settings (from a Pioneer 676a via component) had the colour set way to high (I use 19, not 40!). This may depend on ones DVD player (and whether you like cartoon colours or more subtle 'natural' colours), but I am surprised that there was so much difference.

Also, I presume that the HDSTB setting is used for the internal tuner (other than having a HD PVR, I cant see too much point in having an external HDSTB for the 600a).

I am keen to get some feedback from other users - especially if you have callibrated the 600a with something akin to DVE.

J.

• 4 weeks later...
Out of interest, do most 600a users find that their ideal settings are similar to those in the first post. I found that the DVD settings (from a Pioneer 676a via component) had the colour set way to high (I use 19, not 40!). This may depend on ones DVD player (and whether you like cartoon colours or more subtle 'natural' colours), but I am surprised that there was so much difference.

Also, I presume that the HDSTB setting is used for the internal tuner (other than having a HD PVR, I cant see too much point in having an external HDSTB for the 600a).

I am keen to get some feedback from other users - especially if you have callibrated the 600a with something akin to DVE.

J.

Well after around 8 months of use, over 1000 hours clocked up, and testing various picture settings I have settled on these:

TV (Digital)

Viewing Mode: Normal

Contrast: 55 increments

Brightness: 33 increments

Colour: 35 increments

Sharpness: 1 increment

Colour Balance: Warm

Colour Mgt: Off

Matrix: HD

DVD (HDMI)

Viewing Mode: Normal

Contrast: 55 increments

Brightness: 33 increments

Colour: 40 increments

Sharpness: 1 increment

Colour Balance: Warm

Colour Mgt: Off

Matrix: HD

I've found these settings reveal more image detail than the initial settings on the 1st page, and still retain good black levels. The calibration method used was the THX Optimiser found on several DVD's which is simple yet effective enough for me.

In regards to colour, I feel these settings produce a good picture without becoming garish or over-saturated, however this is just my preference.

For those with new panels, I waited until around 300 hours before increasing the contrast to the above levels.