Sumsung 40" 1080p Lcd - Mode Not Supported With Pc Vga!

Hey all.

I just returned a 1366 x 768 Samsung 40" LCD TV, and upgraded to the 1080p 40" model. The LA40F7 one..

With the previous model, I had no problems connecting my apple powerbook G4 17" to the TV via the VGA input on the TV... from my Mac's DVI port... using a DVI to VGA converter that came with the laptop.

However, upon connecting the Mac to this new 1080p TV, I get no picture, at ANY reoslution settings on my mac. I try mirroring and I try spanning, and the TV constantly says MODE NOT SUPPORTED!

HELP!!! One of the main reasons (apart from xbox 360 at 1080p) was to use my mac as a HD media player and pure bragging rights when mates come over.... I really want to run my mac at 1920 x 1080.

What is the problem?

The other Sammy worked fine, although obviously limited to 1360 x 768. The new 1080p TV's manual says it supports 1920 x 1080 VGA 60Hz. Which is exactly what I set my laptop to..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best Regards

Scottie :blink:

yeah its the 128MB 9700 Pro. The external display support goes up to the same resolution as the 30" Cinema Display Apple sells.... the laptop has a dualDVI output.

thing is, its not working with ANY resolution, let alone 1080p. Very frustrated. It worked fine at 768 with the other Sammy TV...

Could I have a faulty sammy?

hey all... just for an update

1. I took the laptop to JB... same problem on their demo model.. also I could only display a MAX of 1360 x 768 on the Bravia 1080p screen

Using DVI to HDMI converter DID give me a picture.. but it oversampled the image at 1920 x 1080.. only displaying the middle portion of my desltop..

BUT..

I just plugged in my PowerMac G5 using the VGA.. and it works perfectly at 1920 x 1080...

SO.. It's my graphics card on my laptop...

How do I fix this?!? My laptop is a Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB. My PowerMac is a Radeon 9600XT 128MB. Is there technically something I should be looking for in the specs of the cards?? Perhaps some sort of setting?!?

Oh also.. I'm heading over to that link now

And you will hate me but I actually paid COST price... at JB hifi on the weekend just gone.. AUD $3,666. Well I think that is cost price... but damn cheap considering the quality of the display... I'm over the moon with the picture quality

I'm running my mac now at 1920 x 1080.... its very good.. Colours are intense.. image is pretty sharp.. but its no Apple Cinema Display.... but still impressive... I recommend!

Scott

Using DVI to HDMI converter DID give me a picture.. but it oversampled the image at 1920 x 1080.. only displaying the middle portion of my desltop..

I understand that was the finding of the folks on the UK forum about this screen.

Basically you can't get 1:1 pixel mapping at 1080x1920 via HDMI on these screens; they always overscan.

So if you want 1:1 pixel mapping at 1080p you have to use the analog VGA, or choose another screen.

I think the TEAC 4235A with firmware update, and possibly the Sony X allow 1:1 pxel mapping at 1080p via HDMI

I understand that was the finding of the folks on the UK forum about this screen.

Basically you can't get 1:1 pixel mapping at 1080x1920 via HDMI on these screens; they always overscan.

So if you want 1:1 pixel mapping at 1080p you have to use the analog VGA, or choose another screen.

I think the TEAC 4235A with firmware update, and possibly the Sony X allow 1:1 pxel mapping at 1080p via HDMI

Yes I have a Sony Bravia 46" with a Mac mini hooked up via DVI-HDMI doing 1920x1080p, there is an option in the SOny menu to do 1:1 pixel mapping and this fixes the overscan problem. Pictures and desktop look stunning....

hrey again guys.

OK some news. I went to a special Samsung presentation last night at JB. The big Samsung guys were there. I spoke with one of the tech guys, and he said the following:

Using a PC with DVI > HDMI WILL overscan

Using a Bluray DVD player with HDMI is DEFINITELY 1:1pixel mapped

So that screen DOES pixel map 1:1 when using the right hardware. He said it was all about the syncing and refresh rates. Once the two items talk to each other, they sync up and its fine.

If you read that HUGE thread on AVF, you will find that some people had overscan and some underscan depending on the frefresh rate they were outputting. Obviously, if the hardware syncs, it will be somewhere in between, and cause 1:1 mapping.

I spoke to the tech guy about the DVI > HDMI mapping.. and he said that they will release a firmware patch soon.

He also got my laptop working on the screen.

Here's how:

plug the laptop in. Run at 640 x 680 which the sammy detects. Then change the refresh rate from 74 to 60Hz. Then tell the sammy to auto adjust in the PC menu. Then set your laptop to 1920 x 1080.. and BAM it works.

...I spoke with one of the tech guys, and he said the following:

Using a PC with DVI > HDMI WILL overscan

Using a Bluray DVD player with HDMI is DEFINITELY 1:1pixel mapped

Now I know that they really are crazy.

As I have pointed out before, the interoperability rules in the HDMI spec mean that DVI>HDMI must map 1:1. Notwithstanding my argument that the HDMI spec also mandates 1:1 mapping for HDMI>HDMI, as has been discussed here before digital video standards such as SMPTE 274m stipulate a "clean aperture" which gives the OK to overscan digital video.

What that tech bloke said inverts all that!?

Adrian

^ I guess so... If the HDMI standard says that both HDMI > HDMI and DVI > HDMI MUST do 1:1 mapping... then it's pretty poor that the Samsung Screen doesn't already...

Lets just see how we go over the next week. They are aware of the issue now. I'm going to call them now to follow up.

I'll also write a letter to sound and image magazine. This issue will get fixed!!

^ I got the LG 6100 set top box and the TV for just over $4k.. I really dunno if you will get the TV any less tahn $4k... try JB hifi though... they should be able to go fairly close to cost right?

CSI Miami with this combo last night on TV was jaw droppingly awesome!! Blew me away!

X360 is also insanely good.. even with component and the small overscanning issue - which will be fixed :blink:

I run the X360 @ 1080p over VGA on my TEAC 1920x1080 panel - looks the goods too. With VGA, I am unable to select 1920x1080, well the panel will not recognise the signal. This is a problem with a few panels too, not sure if your's will be affected - it might be wise to see if they will let you take the cable back if it doesnt work (even though you have to cut the **** out of the packet to get the cable out).

You said the overscanning over component will be fixed.... How? I have overscan too, however I think its something a firmware update could only resolve, not any setting of the X360?

Oh, if you're in Melb, I could lend you a VGA cable to see if it works, rather than possibly waste $$$. I have a spare one.

• 1 year later...

hello all.

this may be off subject but earlier i turned my xbox to play call of duty 4, and i noticed that the colours were not right, i turned off the xbox to see if would of helped but now my tv says, mode not supported the tv is a 19"samsung syncmaster 932mw.

if any one could shred some light it would be much appreciated cheers . :huh: